+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Access Excel help...

Access Excel help...

Trying to import data in specific cells from either a DB or Spreadsheet. I can import the data but it all goes to one cell in the Invoice in Excel. Sort of autmatically...

I wanted to map a2,22 to invoice a3,33 and a5,55 to d7,33 or something. I thought I've done stuff like this before, but it just copies the entire contents of the ss to one cell.

Record a macro?

Any suggestions?
    Players meeting my ASS!

I have faith in the youth on the board, the computer whizzes, to come through for an old fart and point me in the right direction.
    Players meeting my ASS!

suggestions:
    1. copy and paste. no import. or,
    2. export source data to a txt file, then import(apply appropriate delimiters)

rollin through your neighborhood, middle finger up
    Two diff files? About how many cells do you want updated and how often do you want to do this?

You could just link the ss to the invoice via each cell, and make a button that turns cell updating on then back off to update. You would want updating off most of the time so that you don't get errors when the other sheet is closed because sometimes excel acts stupid like that. You could also make a macro but 'record macro' makes the ugliest most bloated macros ever. It's been a couple years but I used to make some pretty elaborate stuff for my old job between excel, access, and vb.

Tanks 2 both...

My db looks something like

Column1, Column2,
    Invoice #, Customer Name, addy, phone, material cost, total
    100 John Doe, 123 main, (916)xxx-xxxx, 600.00, 1200.00
    101, etc etc etc

So these are different jobs and I don't want to map the material costs to the invoice cuz thats not part of my invoices unless its a Time and Material job. I don't do those too often so I could handle those seperately.

So I was hoping to just highlight a row, not a column obviously, and update my Excel downloaded invoice. Once Invoice #101 was created from the ss or db, I wouldn't want need that again. But the ss or db would be the master record for tax purposses at the end of the year.

Excel and Access are linked together and I'm sure I did something like that too, back in the day. I used SQL for data, mostly FoxPro, then Access a little bit.

CK the delimeters are an interesting thought. Certainly helps the mapping.

UX, the linking of each cell??? I'm thinking this through cuz in my example above I need the same column but for the next invoice I'd need the next row of data.

I really appreciate your help. It might be that I need to dig out Quickbooks. I'd rather use Access and Excel.
    Players meeting my ASS!

Building a house a year is so much easier than doing all these invoices.
    Players meeting my ASS!

Now I have a clearer idea, the cell links like I was thinking won't work. Basically you have a couple boxes on an invoice, and when you select a row in your db/ss you want the invoice boxes populated. (I was thinking just statically linking one sheet to another.) Do you want a more permanent solution or something kind of ghetto rigged? And would you rather your records be a db or ss?

That is correct. I want the invoice populated with data I've mapped over...hopefully mapped only once. I've been inputing the name, addy, phone, date, etc etc etc twice. Makes no sense.

I was looking for a good solution. I read about some add-ons for Excel, but I'm not sure about those yet.

A db is better for me cuz, imo, you can do so much more with SQL when your data grows than you can with a ss, but I could go either way.

Thanks for any direction you can point me in.
    Players meeting my ASS!

If you're using Access for a db it would be easiest to just make the invoice as an Access report.

I didn't know I could do that. I'll check that out.
    Players meeting my ASS!

+ Reply to Thread