+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 31
FirstFirst ... 11 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast

Thread: 2008 NFL Draft (Jake Long signs with Miami and will go #1)

Miami must be filled with Walmart shoppers.
    Phil Wenneck: The man purse. You actually gonna wear that or are you just fuckin' with me?
    Alan Garner: It's where I keep all my things. Get a lot of compliments on this. Plus it's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.

Jake would be a anchor for years. If your stuck with the first pick, take one of the Longs.

As long as they aren't stupid enough to take the QB, who's not a #1 talent as far as I've heard, they'll be good. Naz is right on about taking one of the Longs. Jake Long seems like the best pick for any team drafting 1st overall.
    _

If your stuck with the pick, and you have to spend the money, spend it on someone who has the best chance of being worth it.

Exactly. And welcome to WTFDetroit.

Edit: I suppose that should be welcome back!
    Last edited by Zekyl; 04-11-2008 at 12:10 PM.
    _

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...xon/index.html

How would you feel about grabbing a guy like Dixon in the 4th round. You may have to move up into the early 4th, maybe late 3rd depending on how well his recovery is coming when the draft rolls around, but do you think it'd be worth the chance. We have Kitna starting, Stanton as a backup, and beyond that would you rather have a rookie with a chance to develop into a solid starter or Dan Orlovsky?
    _

I say no. We need depth in other places a lot more than a QB that won't even get a chance by the time his rookie contract runs out. In the 4th I'm looking for a few things:

1)LB to develop (hopefully the 2nd of this draft)
    2)OG
    3)TE (this position has been a revolving door)

I think you can find quality players at those positions there.
    Phil Wenneck: The man purse. You actually gonna wear that or are you just fuckin' with me?
    Alan Garner: It's where I keep all my things. Get a lot of compliments on this. Plus it's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.

The problem is, will Millen draft quality players at those positions? Its rare that anyone drafted after the 3rd round by us (and I think most of our 3rd rounders even fit this) makes the team or sticks with the team for long. We have maybe 2 or 3 guys on the team that we drafted after the 3rd round that may actually be here more than two years. Orlovsky who is never going to get past 3rd string for us it seems, Scott who actually seems like solid OT depth, who else do we have that we drafted in the 4th-7th? Alex Lewis. I'm at work and getting ready to leave or I'd do more research into this.
    _

Well, you can't judge those rounds by what Millen has done because he's screwed up every round. Here are some pro bowl players drafted in the middle rounds:

MLB - Zach Thomas (5th)
    CB - Asante Samuel (4th)
    CB - Terrance McGehee (4th)
    DE - Aaron Kampman (5th)
    RB - Marion Barber III (4th)
    RB - Rudi Johnson (4th)
    DE - KGB (5th)
    DE - Aaron Smith (5th)

So yes, Millen sucks at drafting in the middle rounds, but that doesn't mean players can't be found there. And Brady is the lone exception on the QB front for the most part.

Guys like Max Jean Giles and Gabe Watson went in the 4th a couple of years ago. I'm not sure how they've panned out, but there should be players like that this year as well that may pan out. QB's that go later are drastically flawed usually (either size, bad arm, etc). It's like trying to find a starting center for the NBA at the end of the 2nd round. One team might get lucky once in about 10 years and that's it.

Oh, I'm not judging the rounds fully, I'm just judging how we've picked in them.
    _

+ Reply to Thread