+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 24
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Official "John Hollinger is a Cunt" Thread

NOT TO BE FUCKED WITH Uncle Mxy's Avatar
    Stats should comprise 50% of sports discussions, plus or minus 49%.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermy
    Stats have a place in sports discussions. Not any and every place.
    Who/when/where was it suggested that it was the end all and be all?

Quote Originally Posted by geerussell
    You're right, stats have no place in sports discussions.
    He's so right, it's not like NBA teams are adding statisticians to their scout teams or anything.

He's got a point here. Some people may hate all the shit Hollinger does, but if you don't like it just don't read it. Some people enjoy that little bit of extra perspective. He's not saying this is the only way to rank the teams in the league. He's just saying that based on their stats, this is how it shakes out. I also think that if we give this a little more time into the season, it'll look a little bit more plausible. It's still far too small of a sample.
    _

The pistons have played only 3 teams with a winning record this year and lost to 2 of them. The rest of their opponents collectively have a record of 38-87 which equates to a .304 winning percentage. I'd say the pistons probably aren't as good as some people think....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by yargs
    The pistons have played only 3 teams with a winning record this year and lost to 2 of them. The rest of their opponents collectively have a record of 38-87 which equates to a .304 winning percentage. I'd say the pistons probably aren't as good as some people think....
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Langlois
    Two words: Rodney Stuckey
    Also, I agree with you, yargs. We aren't what people thought we were.
    Find a new slant.

John Hollinger.

Blog Entries
    I did notice that ESPN.com has sort of been "hiding" his power rankings so far. You really had to look for them up until the last week or so.

Now that they are sort of taking shape, look for them to be front and center more.

I feel the same way about this thing as I do the pre and early season college football polls, why not wait a few weeks before making yourself look bad by putting garbage out there?
    Find a new slant.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermy
    John Hollinger.
    Really? I'd like to see where that was.

Quote Originally Posted by Comrade
    Really? I'd like to see where that was.
    You can go to any article John Hollinger has ever had published, or maybe a chat John has done, or talk to him yourself in the street. He regularly has to excuse himself for his own conclusions with a "well, that's what the numbers say." He doesn't add objective analysis, he is a schtict of arithmetic.

When you say "John Hollinger says" you are saying that a statistical system that John has set up says......In other words, if you are talking about John Hollinger, you are ONLY talking about numbers, as if they are the be all/end all. He gives them the only place in his discussions.

Anyone disagree?

+ Reply to Thread