+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: Thompson: Pistons a hungry bunch again

Thompson: Pistons a hungry bunch again

Pistons a hungry bunch again
    Contra Costa Times

Don't expect to see the overconfident Detroit Pistons who choked away homecourt advantage against the Cleveland Cavaliers in May.
    The Pistons who take on the Warriors at Oracle Arena tonight probably won't be the same team that lost by 32 in Oakland last season, tanking the last of a four-game West Coast swing. It's early, but this edition of Detroit looks more like the blue collar, chip-on-the-shoulder types from a couple years ago.

Pistons basketball, when at its best, is fueled by an us-against-the-world mentality. They thrive while under appreciated, perform better when they're doubted.

This season, their ideal climate has returned, which should be a scary thought for the rest of the NBA. Few outside the Motor City are touting the Pistons as a championship favorite. Sure, they're counted among the league's top teams. But they have been pushed to afterthought status thanks to the Boston Celtics' blockbuster offseason trades to land Kevin Garnett and Ray Allen, thanks to speculation that the Chicago Bulls could acquire Kobe Bryant, thanks to the rampant infatuation with the promise of the Orlando Magic.

Add to that the bitter taste leftover from the heroics LeBron James pulled off against them in last season's Eastern Conference Finals. Detroit seems as hungry as it's been in a while.

"Listen," head coach Flip Saunders told the Detroit News, "over the last two years, we've won more games than anybody in the league and we have no championship to show for it. From that standpoint, we all feel like we have something to prove. We don't want to come up dry again."

It was almost like Detroit lost its way the last couple of years, once they started reaping the rewards of their success. After clawing their way into the NBA's elite -- upsetting the heavily favored Los Angeles Lakers to win the 2004 championship, and nearly pulling off Game 7 in San Antonio in the 2005 Finals -- the Pistons lost their edge. Maybe their All-Star accolades and regular-season dominance made it impossible to keep the same swagger. Maybe all the attention and high expectations deterred their focus.

Well, most of that's gone now. Point guard Chauncey Billups is about the only player with a pretty good shot at an All-Star bid (and New Jersey's Jason Kidd, Washington's Gilbert Arenas and Charlotte's Raymond Felton will make it tough for him to get in). Boston is hogging the Eastern Conference spotlight and San Antonio is the clear favorite over any team in the East.

The Pistons are back to being doubted, which is right where they want to be.

The best example of their renewed hunger is in former forward Rasheed Wallace. By all accounts, he's much more motivated this season. But the most convincing proof is his play.

He's adopted his new role as center and has gotten off to a productive start -- 15.3 points, 6.8 rebounds and 1.5 blocks in his first six games. He's even taking jabs at the NBA, which usually means 'Sheed is in one of his back-against-the-wall moods. He commented before the season started that the NBA helped Cleveland during the Eastern Conference Finals because "they wanted to put their darling (James)" in the NBA Finals.

"I think 'Sheed has taken the challenge of knowing he's our so-called center and taking the challenge of knowing he's really the anchor of our inside defense," Saunders told the News. "He's always been known as a great defender. Now I think because he's in such great shape he can use his versatility. He's always had great hands and he gets his hands on a lot of balls. But because he's in much better shape, he's able to sustain that and play more in late-game situations."

Detroit also has a few things working in its favor, other than Boston going all out in November. The Pistons are younger than in past years, thanks to the addition of free agent pick-up Jarvis Hayes, the continued progress of forward Jason Maxiel, and the NBA-readiness of rookie guards Rodney Stuckey and Aaron Afflalo. Amir Johnson, their young power forward who just oozes talent, will start to get some time this season.

Detroit is also quicker and more athletic. With Wallace at center, instead of plodding Chris Webber, Antonio McDyess is now starting at power forward along with Billups, guard Richard Hamilton and forward Tayshaun Prince. That starting lineup can keep up with any team in the East.

To go with it, they once again have the right mind-set to beat any team in the East.
    Interesting theory. And it's surprising that a non-Detroit beat writer would think this.

WE ARE ALL WITNESSES

Blog Entries
    Well, I'm not going to say the Pistons are going to win it all again, but when they fly under the radar (as they did in '04 with Indiana at the top of the East, in '05 with Miami) they certainly focus a helluva lot better. Boston being on top so far is only a good thing for them.

...which I guess is what the article said. I need to read.

I don't know. To me, this is pretty much the standard "This isn't last year's Pistons" team, which seems to have come up countless times in the past couple years. We've felt disrespected and been hungry the last couple years, with the same result, so I'm going to have to reserve excitement until they carry it through in June. Don't get me wrong, I love this team, but that's exactly why it's so frustrating to watch all the talent fall apart when it should be thriving.

"Listen," head coach Flip Saunders told the Detroit News, "over the last two years, we've won more games than anybody in the league and we have no championship to show for it. From that standpoint, we all feel like we have something to prove. We don't want to come up dry again."
    This is the part that is growing old for me. Every year since we won it, we enter the season with this message. JoeD said, Flip said, the announcers all say it.

"We have something to prove" Don't tell me show me. Until the do, its the same old Pistons.

Blog Entries
    I'm with you there, defrocked.

BTW I took the Miami loss in '06 and accepted it, but the Cleveland loss was the one I was really pissed about (and still am). Could that be because Wade was brilliant against us (ref help or not) and even won a title single handedly, while LeBron got swept?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahoe
    This is the part that is growing old for me. Every year since we won it, we enter the season with this message. JoeD said, Flip said, the announcers all say it.

"We have something to prove" Don't tell me show me. Until the do, its the same old Pistons.

Truth.

Blog Entries
    When I saw the thread title I was expecting this to be more about Maxiell.
    Find a new slant.

I like the use of the term "former forward", as if sheed is playing a completely different role compared to seasons past.
    "The moon is a light bulb breaking
    It'll go around with anyone
    But it won't come down for anyone"

I think the come-from-behind victory last night shows that this isn't your same Pistons team. In previous years, we would have packed it in when down 20 and maybe gotten within 10. This group has a chance to fly under the radar and do some special things this year, especially if Stuckey is as good as advertised and Amir works his way into the rotation.

WE ARE ALL WITNESSES

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Atticus771
    I think the come-from-behind victory last night shows that this isn't your same Pistons team. In previous years, we would have packed it in when down 20 and maybe gotten within 10. This group has a chance to fly under the radar and do some special things this year, especially if Stuckey is as good as advertised and Amir works his way into the rotation.

I agree with everything you said, I can't wait til' Stuckey gets back just to see what he can offer...

+ Reply to Thread