+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9
FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Tigers trade Jair Jurrjens and Gorkys Hernandez for Edgar Renteria

Quote Originally Posted by WTFchris
    Besides the fact that his defense has slipped a ton?

How about the fact that he's battled numerous leg injuries for years? Why do you think Leyland played him at 1B so much late in the year? He got beat up at SS. If you want to play him at SS full time and risk losing his bat, by all means. Clearly Leyland and Dombrowski don't want to.
    Yes, his defense slipped. So they made a move. To improve the team's D. You're catching on.

They moved him to 1st because his D stunk, that's it. I never heard a comment about him playing 1st to save wear-and-tear. The effect would be minimal since Los doesn't dive for balls anyway.

I don't "hate the deal" Chris, I'm trying to explain to you why they made it.

Quote Originally Posted by Fool
    I was going to be all "Then find that shit, I'm lazy too" but then ... well I didn't.

http://wtfdetroit.com/forums/showpos...7&postcount=47

Hermy, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons

----------------------------------------

Sorry, I asked Glenn not to grant me permissions since where i work would not smile upon cup girls and such.

LOL, its baseball prospectus stuff from Area 51 not the Champagne room.

A Follow-Up on Renteria, and a Hidden Link on Attendance
    by Nate Silver
    There are now some news reports that the Braves will be picking up some of Renteria’s salary. How much money is unclear; the Atlanta Journal Constitution article says “it wasn’t as much as the $8 million that Boston agreed to pay when it traded [Renteria] to the Braves”. Still, even if it’s just a few million, it could be the equivalent of the “B- or C- level prospect” that I implied the Tigers should have gotten back in this deal.
    I’ve also gotten a couple of e-mails about my claim that “Detroit is a market that appears to be quite sensitive to team quality”. I have a pet theory about this, which is that if you go into Detroit to see a ballgame, you’re there to see the ballgame. You sure as hell aren’t going there as a tourist, and unless you’re a contractor for General Motors or a candidate in the Republican caucus, you very probably are not going there as a business traveler. Contrast this to a city like Chicago. On any given day at Wrigley Field, I would guess that there are a couple thousand tourists in from Iowa, Wisconsin, Indiana and downstate Illinois that are making a weekend out of their trip to Chicago, perhaps a thousand convention attendees, and maybe another thousand or two business travelers that are being wined and dined by their clients. This type of fan is probably less sensitive to the quality of the game itself than someone for whom baseball is the main attraction.
    I could not find any comprehensive data on travel and tourism dollars in different US cities, but I did find a pretty good substitute, which is “Accommodation and Food Services Sales” as calculated by the U.S. Census Bureau. This category serves as proxy for a whole host of factors that might be desirable to a baseball club, such as tourist dollars, business travel, service industry infrastructure, and disposable income. Here are those numbers in each major league city, as of 1997:
    New York $11,009Los Angeles $4,563Chicago $4,482Houston $3,399San Francisco $3,283Washington $2,943San Diego $2,610Dallas $2,354Boston $2,050Phoenix $2,009Philadelphia $1,692Atlanta $1,605Seattle $1,552Denver $1,335Kansas City $1,043Minneapolis $885Baltimore $850Tampa $783Miami $765St. Louis $687Pittsburgh $677Cleveland $674Milwaukee $615Detroit $575Cincinnati $564Oakland $436You should notice that there’s quite a strong correlation between this figure and baseball attendance; the only real strong outlier is St. Louis. Overall, the correlation between these numbers and average per-game attendance since 2001 is .57, which is stronger than the .53 that I got in the much more rigorous study of market sizes that I concluded this May.
    RELATED BASEBALL PROSPECTUS CONTENT
    STEW BEEF!

Ok, think that says we, in order to make the deal fair, should have gotten a crappy prospect, but instead that a crappy prospects worth in cash. A couple million is still nice though, so change that number I gave to 4. I may be reading that wrong, but that's how I take it.

_edit_

And thanks for posting that, I knew of A51, but my job may feel the same way about stealing payed content.

I don't think Glenn can give you access to one while still limiting your access to the other anyway. At least he couldn't when I asked him to do the same for me.
    STEW BEEF!

Quote Originally Posted by Fool
    I don't think Glenn can give you access to one while still limiting your access to the other anyway. At least he couldn't when I asked him to do the same for me.

Don't know, haven't ever admined this setup. Of the 7-8 I have controlled all had individual setting for every board.

Blog Entries
    If you guys think I, Mr. Brown Paint Brush, am handling the technical aspects of this fine joint, then you would be incorrect.

I do believe that access to one means access to both, but it might just be that they were set up that way to save time.
    Find a new slant.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermy
    Yes, his defense slipped. So they made a move. To improve the team's D. You're catching on.

They moved him to 1st because his D stunk, that's it. I never heard a comment about him playing 1st to save wear-and-tear. The effect would be minimal since Los doesn't dive for balls anyway.

I don't "hate the deal" Chris, I'm trying to explain to you why they made it.
    His D was definitely going downhill, but I did hear a bit about moving him to first to save wear-and-tear in the local papers towards the end of the year. Could have just been fluff stuff though so he didn't look as bad.

Blog Entries
    Looks like Jurrjens is off to a good start with the Braves.

He's 2-0 now after getting a win yesterday with 4 IP, 2 H, 1 BB, 1 SO

His ERA is now 1.00 in 3 starts (9 innings)
    Find a new slant.

I like that kid. The biggest question will be how he does when teams see him the 2nd time around.
    We had subs. It was crazy.

+ Reply to Thread