+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Tigers trade Jair Jurrjens and Gorkys Hernandez for Edgar Renteria

IN MEMORY OF BIG VINNY 1943 – 1979 “WHEN IN DOUBT KNOCK EM OUT”
    Blog Entries
    I think Jurrjens was pretty expendable. He performed pretty admirable in his limited action but he's never been considered much of a frontline prospect. He's a 4th/5th starter type at best.

Hernandez was probably our #2 prospect and the key to the deal. He's put up amazing numbers for a player so young but that's just it -he's young. He could take the next steps and become a star but each of those steps is a pretty decent gamble so it may have been a good move to trade him now, before some of the shine potentially came off him if he failed to improve.

I'm reppin' Jesus Christ and Conservative views....

Quick piece by VINNY which was a logo style of his. VINNY also did two letter throw up's by the name of FI 2.

GO WHITE!

if jim managed him, and we have experience dealing w/ the braves, i have faith that we know what we're doing. i liked jair too, but he wasnt an ace in the making. he had good, but not great stuff. who was the last pitcher we missed afterwards? see who just got cut by the cardinals?(maroth) i believe solid fielding and playing 1/2 the games in a pitcher's park helps overvalue our pitchers.
    Last edited by b-diddy; 10-29-2007 at 09:59 PM.

I'd say with our reasonably good number of pitchers/pitching prospects, this is probably a good deal. Now let's shore up the 'pen and perhaps 3B and we should be good to go.

Trading two of our top 4 prospects for a player on the wrong side of 30 with a career .750 OPS? Dumb move.

Quote Originally Posted by H1Man
    Trading two of our top 4 prospects for a player on the wrong side of 30 with a career .750 OPS? Dumb move.
    I totally agree.
    Winning breeds confidence. Losing breeds reality.

JJ doesn't float my boat. But maybe this is a lil bit of..."if we signed Pudge, we need to get it done in the next couple of years" mentality from the front office. Trade away some prospects to fill holes.

As long as they aren't after Miller, Maybin types, I'm ok with it.

This is a win now move. Renteria is still a good shortstop, and a former gold-glover. He is an upgrade at short, and Guillen is an upgrade at first. If JJ is the most we have to give to get a .330 hitter, then so be it. That's the beauty of the Tigers right now - their farm system is very good. What's the point of having a Porcello, a Miller, a Tata or a Bazardo if we can't trade any of them? We already have a good pitching staff. And we'll always be on the lookout for a free agent starter.

I hate to be cliche, but to get something you got to give up something.

Quote Originally Posted by WTFchris
    MoTown is right.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahoe
    JJ doesn't float my boat. But maybe this is a lil bit of..."if we signed Pudge, we need to get it done in the next couple of years" mentality from the front office. Trade away some prospects to fill holes.

As long as they aren't after Miller, Maybin types, I'm ok with it.
    Exactly.

Damn.. Jair? That sucks. I don't mind giving up prospects for win-now players. But Renteria is worth a couple minor leaguers, not a rotation-ready young pitcher, AND a prospect.

I will feel better if we manage to upgrade 3B.

+ Reply to Thread