+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Season-opening roster finalized

Season-opening roster finalized

Season-opening roster finalized

by Ansar KhanTuesday October 02, 2007, 12:15 AM

DETROIT -- Christmas came early Monday for a trio of excited players who officially learned that they have earned a place on the Detroit Red Wings' season-opening roster. Forwards Matt Ellis and Aaron Downey and defenseman Derek Meech couldn't contain their enthusiasm after making the cut.
    "It's extremely exciting, motivating, inspiring," said Ellis, who spent the past four years with the Grand Rapids Griffins, Detroit's AHL affiliate.
    "A chance to play for this team is an amazing feeling," said Downey, who joins his sixth NHL club in eight seasons after signing a one-year, two-way contract Monday.
    "It's an honor," said Meech, an AHL All-Star who was out of minor-league options.
    It wasn't a good a day for forward Igor Grigorenko, who was assigned to Grand Rapids. If all goes according to plan, he will spend three weeks with the Griffins and play in five games before returning to Detroit. Forward Mark Hartigan also will report to Grand Rapids if he clears waivers today.
    The Red Wings will begin the season at the 23-man roster limit. Their top 12 forwards and top six defensemen have not changed since the start of training camp. Ellis, Downey and Meech are not expected to be in the lineup for the season opener Wednesday against Anaheim at Joe Louis Arena.
    The club liked Downey's toughness, a dimension it was lacking, and, more importantly, his attitude. He was invited to camp on a tryout.
    "I wanted to redeem myself as one of the tougher guys in the league, like I was in Dallas, up there in the top 10," Downey said. "When I'm not playing I want to bring good energy in the locker room, a positive attitude around the younger guys."
    Ellis, a hard-working energy player, appeared in 16 games for the Red Wings last season. The club told him to bring his wife and 7-month-old son down from Grand Rapids.
    "Being around this room and these guys last year took the initial nerves and tightness away," Ellis said.
    "I'm prepared to do what it takes to be a part of this club."
    The 13th forward spot was Grigorenko's to lose after he arrived from Russia this year, and he lost it by not reporting in good enough shape and struggling to adjust to the faster-paced North American game. The club also is not pleased that he failed to learn any English despite knowing for six years that he was eventually going to play here. The plan is for Grigorenko to join the Red Wings after they return from a West Coast trip on Oct. 22.
    "I explained that we're trying to give him every opportunity to show us what he can do," Red Wings general manager Ken Holland said. "He's prepared to go down for a short period of time."
    The team is hoping Grigorenko displays a good attitude in Grand Rapids.
    "He's got to embrace being there or else you don't get better and it's just a waste of time," coach Mike Babcock said.
    The Red Wings hope they're getting their message across to Grigorenko through his agent and translator, Mark Lapush.
    "That's one of the biggest problems in that when you're trying to communicate to him that you're trying to help him he just thinks he's getting demoted," Babcock said. "I tried to explain that to him, but anytime there's translation, they're translating, not you. I'm always a little leery of that."
    Holland expressed some concern that Grigorenko will not have any Russian-speaking teammates or club personnel that can translate for him in Grand Rapids, like he does in Detroit with Pavel Datsyuk.
    "He's gone through a lot of adversity, at some point he's going to have to learn the language," Holland said.
    But, as Babcock noted, "Everybody knows what skate means, what work is, how to ride the bike. Doesn't matter what language."

RED WINGS NOTES

Quincey on IR: Defenseman Kyle Quincey, expected to be out another three weeks with a broken left hand, was placed on injured reserve. He's going to skate with the Griffins during his recovery process and will likely be assigned to the AHL club when he's ready to play.
    "I didn't really have a good shot here, playing with a broken hand (in four preseason games)," Quincey said. "I have to go down there, work out every day and be ready to go in three weeks, and then we'll see what happens."

Datsyuk gets an A: Datsyuk was named an assistant captain, joining Henrik Zetterberg and Kris Draper. Only two can wear the "A" in any given game.
    "When (Steve) Yzerman left (in 2006), I talked to Pav about being an assistant captain and he told me he wasn't ready, his English wasn't good enough," Babcock said. "Well, I've been around him and his English is good enough. We're letting everyone know he's an important part of our leadership group."
    Phil Wenneck: The man purse. You actually gonna wear that or are you just fuckin' with me?
    Alan Garner: It's where I keep all my things. Get a lot of compliments on this. Plus it's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.

Guess that means Chelios doesnt have free reign to talk to the refs anymore
    Kelly Youngblood: Don't take any shit from them Canucks. To them,
    you're just another wetback, crossing the border to play their game.
    Dean Youngblood: They'll never catch me!
    Kelly Youngblood: Oh, they'll catch you.

+ Reply to Thread