+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Brian Kelly

Blog Entries
    I agree, I just thought that maybe you considered UM to be shady, too.

Perhaps I overestimated your level of contempt.
    Find a new slant.

I think Kelly just viewed the Amderson kid as having only a tenuous connection to MSU. How could he know for sure tha the kid really wanted to go there instead of just pretending to want to graduate from there?
    I think there is enough gray area (as opposed to the lack of gray matter on the Sparty side) to put this behind us and move on.
    Perhaps you Sparties need a support group thread where you get together and discuss the inferiority complex that goes with being Green?

"Hello, I'm bukdow, and twenty three years ago a Michigan fan turned into a parking lot without using his turn signal right in front of me"
    Winning breeds confidence. Losing breeds reality.

I am in agreement with Budkow no matter how much it makes my skin crawl.

Kelly is a long shot to be UM coach. The more Lloyd wins the less chance Miles and Kelly have of being UM's next coach.

Which is not all bad as long as none of his coaches on staff are either.
    What is a budkow.....isnt that something I shit out of?

Blog Entries
    Check this shit out...

Report: Former Irish QB Jones chooses Cincinnati

ESPN.com news services
    Updated: September 27, 2007, 2:56 PM ET

The Demetrius Jones saga has led to Cincinnati, where on Thursday the former Notre Dame quarterback told football coach Brian Kelly he wants to enroll at the university and play for the Bearcats, the Cincinnati Enquirer reported.

"My whole point of going to Notre Dame was the same reason I committed here," Jones said, according to the newspaper. "The atmosphere on campus, they've got top-notch facilities. They've got a head coach who's been coaching for 16 years, and the offense. I can put some of my best qualities on display. I jus think it was a perfect fit."

Jones was Notre Dame's starting quarterback in the Fighting Irish's season opener against Georgia Tech, but was benched during the game and lost the starting job to Jimmy Clausen for the second-week game against Penn State. A week later, he missed the team bus for the trip to Michigan and left the team, intending to enroll at Northern Illinois.

At first, Notre Dame refused to release Jones from his scholarship. But the university then reversed course, offering to help Jones find an acceptable school.

That school is apparently Cincinnati of the Big East, as Jones walked into Kelly's office Thursday and told him he wanted to play for the Bearcats, the Enquirer reported. According to the report, Kelly had a prior relationship with Jones, dating back to when he recruited him to attend Central Michigan.

Kelly told the Enquirer he was notified by Notre Dame two days ago that he had been granted permission to talk to Jones.

"A whole bunch of things took place that weren't planned," Jones said, according to the newspaper. "That's the way it goes."

Jones was a Parade All-American at Morgan Park High School of Chicago and was rated No. 33 on USA Today's list of the top 100 prep players in the country.

Of Jones, Kelly told the Enquirer "He's athletic. He can run it and he can throw it. In this day and age, we see that position requires more than a guy who can just drop back [and throw]. He has to be able to do things with his feet."

Jones will have to pay his own way at the university for the fall quarter because the program currently has no scholsrships to offer according to the report.
    Find a new slant.

I said this after the App. St. loss. Kelly is my first choice to be U-M's next coach. The guy just gets it done wherever he goes.

LLLLLLLLoyd needs to stop winning.

"The Forcier is strong with this one." - Boda.

Blog Entries
    Bearcats' success met with excitement in Cincinnati

By Joe Starkey
    Special to ESPN.com

Updated: October 2, 2007, 2:04 PM ET

Fans who used to sleep in for Cincinnati football games are now sleeping out for them.

Take sophomore Lance Durbin, for example. He likes football, but he knew nothing about the team when he enrolled at Cincinnati and had no idea if he'd ever care enough to attend a game.

Two years later, the man is prepared to camp out in a tent to ensure he won't miss one.

Durbin said he and several other students were planning to spend Tuesday night outside the Nippert Stadium box office in order to be first in line Wednesday morning for tickets to the Oct. 13 Louisville game.

This is what successful, entertaining football has wrought. Besides, what's the alternative -- the Bengals?

The 20th-ranked Bearcats (5-0) recently cracked the polls for the first time since 1976 and have stayed there in successive weeks for the first time since 1954, when Sid Gillman was the coach.

"I've gone to every game this year and I'm excited for the rest of the season; that's for sure," said Durbin, who works in student government. "The whole atmosphere is so different now. Everyone talks about the games. You see a lot more UC apparel when you're walking around campus, and the football players are kind of like celebrities around here now.

"You feel like you're at a big-time football school."

That's been the idea for some time. Dynamic new coach Brian Kelly intends to see it through. Kelly's team is riding an eight-game winning streak, third-longest in the country behind Wisconsin (14) and LSU (12), and has outscored its first five opponents this season, 232-53.

The Bearcats will put their streak on the line Saturday in a grudge match at No. 21 Rutgers (ESPN2, 8 p.m. ET). It is the Big East opener for both teams. Rutgers is the team holding the grudge.

The Scarlet Knights started 9-0 last season and were clinging to their highest ranking ever (No. 7) when they were ambushed at Nippert Stadium, 30-11. That was the night Cincinnati began its eight-game run and returned to the national football map. A national television audience saw the crowd spill onto the field for a wild postgame celebration.

Rutgers fans would love to return the favor. Cincinnati is 0-6 all-time at Rutgers.

"We went up there two years ago, and it was not a very good environment," said Bearcats senior safety Haruki Nakamura, recalling a 44-9 loss. "They're pretty brutal fans. Their student section is very proud of their program -- very loud, very hostile. I mean, it's one of those atmospheres we were yearning for at the University of Cincinnati."

It's finally here. The Bearcats will return home for the Louisville game (ESPNU, 7 p.m. ET) and play in front of their second sellout crowd of the season. That's one more than ancient Nippert Stadium (built in 1902) has hosted in a single season since it was expanded in 1992 and only its 15th since 1946, according to associate sports communications director Kelby Siler.

The West Virginia game Nov. 17 also is sold out, and a record crowd of 35,097 watched the Bearcats maul Marshall two weeks ago. The school was even forced to enact ticket distribution policies aimed at accommodating more students.

That sure beats begging people to come out.

Kelly, basing his model on the Duke basketball team's relationship with fans at Cameron Indoor Stadium, promised to instill an "electric" atmosphere to Nippert, where even last year's big game against Rutgers played to a crowd 7,000 below capacity.

"That's why we run into the student section before the game, to let them know they're the first people we want to engage with," Kelly said. "Afterward, we go into the student section with the band and sing the fight song. It creates an energy that's unlike any event. Football wasn't the primary sport here, you know. It was basketball. There was no excitement in the stadium."

The players remember all too well.

"It's a whole lot different now than when I first got here," said senior running back Greg Moore, from nearby Dayton. "Back then, the majority of the fans were like family or close friends of the family. Now, it's everybody. I have everyone calling me from back home to get tickets."

Ever seen anyone sleeping out on campus for football tickets before?

"Nope," Moore said. "We've only seen that for basketball."

Cincinnati football has been moving forward -- albeit in fits and starts -- for a decade. Rick Minter took the team to three bowl games in his final four years as coach before he was replaced by Mark Dantonio in 2004, a year before the Bearcats joined the Big East.

Dantonio oversaw a 7-5 regular season in 2006, culminating with the victory over Rutgers. He was announced as Michigan State's new head coach nine days later, but not before he predicted the Bearcats would win a Big East title "within three to five years."

Kelly, who arrived from Central Michigan, seems intent on moving up the timetable. About 15 seconds after he stepped foot on campus, he announced, "The 2007 season is about winning championships." He won two Division II national titles at Grand Valley State and a MAC title in his third year at Central Michigan.

The son of a Boston politician, Kelly, 45, worked as a press agent for Gary Hart's presidential campaign in 1988. He has yet to meet a public speaking opportunity he didn't embrace.

"He's a salesman, is what he is," says Grand Valley State coach Chuck Martin, who was Kelly's defensive coordinator at the school. "Whether it's Grand Valley State or Central Michigan or Cincinnati, he has kids believing they can move mountains. His No. 1 strength is offense. His No. 2 strength is how good he is politically at getting people to believe in his program. He sells it door to door, which not a lot of coaches will do.

"I remember at Central Michigan, somebody asked him how long the rebuilding cycle would be. He said, 'About 10 seconds.'"

Nakamura won't soon forget Kelly's first meeting with the team. Players were upset about Dantonio's departure and skeptical of a new regime as they prepared for the International Bowl against Western Michigan.

"When he first walked into our new meeting room, you could feel this energy," Nakamura said. "There was just this spark about him. The second he started speaking, the excitement in his voice was just awesome. He said, 'My goal here isn't to rebuild, it's to win a Big East championship.' He basically said, 'I'm a winner.'"

The biggest on-field difference between Kelly and Dantonio is Kelly's spread offense, which is run by Wake Forest transfer Ben Mauk and averaging 46.4 points per game. Rutgers coach Greg Schiano calls it one of the most innovative schemes he has seen. Kelly calls it his "coast-to-coast" offense.

"I've stolen great stuff from one coast to another," he said.

Cincinnati's nonconference schedule wasn't nearly as daunting as last year's, which included trips to Virginia Tech and Ohio State. The most impressive victory so far was a 34-3 pounding of Oregon State.

Kelly hasn't changed much on a defensive unit that was solid under Dantonio and is allowing just 10.6 points per game, fourth-best in the country. Cincinnati leads the country in turnover margin (plus-2.8 per game).

There's no telling if all these impressive numbers will hold up over the course of a rugged Big East schedule, but this much is certain: Nobody's going to sleep through the season.
    Find a new slant.

YOU HEARD IT HERE....

Kelly will NEVER be named Coach in A2. I should say NOT THIS TIME AROUND. Maybe after DeBored gets fired in 3 years. They can't see that far ahead. I think there is a perception out there that the guys a cheater. U-M can do better but I think the guy can coach like crazy.

Blog Entries
    I'm guessing that Kelly's time at Cincy is growing shorter and shorter with each victory.

Mauk's 2 TDs in 19 seconds, Bearcats' late interception sparks win
    Bearcats Fight Past Rutgers

PISCATAWAY, N.J. (AP) -- Ben Mauk's passing and opportunistic defense. It's been an unbeatable combination for No. 20 Cincinnati.

Mauk threw two of his three touchdowns in a 19-second span late in the third quarter and Cincinnati forced four turnovers, including a game-saving interception by linebacker Ryan Manalac with 1:19 to play, as the Bearcats defeated No. 21 Rutgers 28-23 on Saturday night.

"I knew we were going to face adversity," Cincinnati coach Brian Kelly said after his team rallied from a 10-point halftime deficit. "It's just a matter of we've got to lead them through it. We've got some young guys who showed a little inexperience and made some mistakes, but we never, never broke apart."

Mauk threw a 15-yard touchdown pass to Dominick Goodman in the first half and found Marcus Barnett on a 2-yard toss and Marshwan Gilyard on a 27-yard pass in the lightning quick third-quarter spree that helped Cincinnati (6-0, 1-0 Big East) send Rutgers (3-2, 0-1) to its second straight defeat.

"Quite honestly we had not been tested in the fourth quarter and we had to find what we are made of," Kelly said. "I think tonight we grew up more than anything else. That allows you to move to that next level."

The Scarlet Knights had a chance to pull the game out in the final minutes as they drove from their own 20 to the Cincinnati 17. On a second-and-3, Manalac stepped in front of a Mike Teel pass to Tim Brown and sealed the win with an interception.

"They had run the route three times before," Kelly said. "All we did was widen the linebacker a little more and he ducked underneath it."

Teel, who hurt his thumb in the first quarter according to coach Greg Schiano, was visibly upset after the game. He said the injury did not bother him.

"When you let 120 guys down, there is a lot of blame on your shoulders," said Teel, who threw three interceptions in this loss and seven in losing games to the Bearcats over the past two years.

Safety Haruki Nakamura and linebacker Andre Revels also had clutch interceptions for the Bearcats, who have now forced 25 turnovers in their best start since going 8-0 in 1954.

Devin McCourty returned an interception 36 yards for a touchdown, Ray Rice scored on a 1-yard run and Jermey Ito kicked three field goals for Rutgers, which lost consecutive games for the first time since the end of the 2005 season.

"Losing is something that we are not going to accept," said Rice, who was limited to 94 yards on 34 carries.

The Bearcats embarrassed Rutgers 30-11 last year in knocking then No. 7 Rutgers from the unbeaten ranks. They've won nine in a row since that win.

Mauk finished 20-of-37 for 257 yards. He also threw an interception and lost a fumble in the fourth quarter, but his defense saved him, forcing a Rutgers punt.

Teel was 22-of-38 for 334 and three picks. Brown had a career day, catching seven passes for 127, including catches of 23 and 15 yards on the last drive.

Rice, who struggled for a second consecutive game, now has 35 career rushing touchdowns, a school record.

Trailing 17-7 at the half, Cincinnati's defense came up with three big plays in the third quarter to go up 28-20.

Nakamura intercepted an ill-advised Teel pass at his own 23 on the opening drive of the half and returned it 31 yards to the Rutgers 46. Eight plays later, Bradley Glatthaar scored on a 3-yard run to cut the margin to 17-14.

Cincinnati's defense stepped up again later in the quarter, forcing Rutgers to settle for a 25-yard field goal by Ito after getting first-and-goal at the 7.

That put Mauk and the offense in position for its two quick strikes.

A 31-yard pass from Mauk to Gilyard set up the quarterback's 2-yard toss to Barnett. It capped an eight-play, 61-yard drive that put the Bearcats ahead 21-20 with 47 seconds left in the quarter.

Nineteen seconds later, Cincinnati had a 28-20 lead. Revels intercepted a tipped pass by Teel and returned it 3 yards to the Rutgers 27. Mauk found Gilyard on a sideline route on the next play for the score.

Ito added a 47-yard field goal with 9:58 to play to get Rutgers within 28-23, but that was as close as it would get.

McCourty had given Rutgers a 7-0 lead with his second career interception return TD, but Mauk tied the game with his TD throw to Goodman on the next series.

Ito's 27-yard field goal and Rice's 1-yard run gave Rutgers a 10-point halftime lead.
    Find a new slant.

Quote Originally Posted by HipDigIt
    Kelly will NEVER be named Coach in A2. I should say NOT THIS TIME AROUND. Maybe after DeBored gets fired in 3 years. They can't see that far ahead. I think there is a perception out there that the guys a cheater. U-M can do better but I think the guy can coach like crazy.
    There is a perception in A2 that EVERYONE is a cheater.
    Winning breeds confidence. Losing breeds reality.

G

"I'm guessing that Kelly's time at Cincy is growing shorter and shorter with each victory." -Glenn-

The guy is a proven commodity. The only way you can overlook him is if he cannot withstand scrutiny. At Cincy no problem. At U-M the klieg lights will be bright. He'll get a going over. I think he'd be an exciting fit at U-M and I might change my stance on hoping they lose to EVERYONE they play with those constipated dicks they have in power now.

+ Reply to Thread