+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 22
FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 19 ... LastLast

Thread: Hot stove: Tigers offseason plans (trade rumors, free agency, etc.)

How nice is it to see the Tigers on EVERYONE's list of teams?
    STEW BEEF!

Quote Originally Posted by Tahoe
    Schilling lists Tigers as one of the 8-10 teams he'd go to next year.
    I like that. 8-10 teams. That really makes Detroit an elite franchise, lumped in there with Arizona, Milwaukee, the Cubs, and Philadelphia. That's kind of like saying the hot chick would put you on her list of "guys that I'll go out with if my other options are Lenny and Squiggy".
    Winning breeds confidence. Losing breeds reality.

Blog Entries

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Fool
    How nice is it to see the Tigers on EVERYONE's list of teams?

Well it shouldn't be that new...before we were on the list of teams where players could void a deal...

Blog Entries
    Per Rotoworld, the Tigers are currently looking at Francisco Cordero and Carlos Silva, while you can't talke figures w/ them til the 15th, I think both would be decent additions if the price is right...

Silva is one of the best in a weak starting pitching market, he doesn't walk guys, but he gets shelled every now and then...

Cordero is a former Tiger, we traded him in the Juan Gonzalez deal, he had a monster year closing for Milwaukee, and is definitely a better closer than Todd Jones,

all I know is, w/ Zumaya gone for half the year (and the uncertainty of what he'll be when he's ready to throw) DD need's to expand the payroll a little bit and get a quality bullpen piece to put us up to par...

Blog Entries
    Also heard there was a rumor floatin' around about getting Freddy Garcia, he wouldn't coast top dollar considering his season was derailed by injuries last year, he's got quality stuff still, and when he's healthy he's definitely an "upper part of the rotation" type of pitcher, plus he's a veteran, a former all-star, w/ playoff experience and a WS ring...

wouldn't be a bad signing IMO

I'd love to bring in Cordero. Do we need more starting pitching though? If we have a chance at it, I'm not going to turn it down, but I don't know if its an area we should go out of our way to add to.

^If Kenny doesn't come back we'll need another starter IMO. I don't mind leaving one spot to the youngins (not counting Bondo or Verlander as a youngin), but not two of them.
    Phil Wenneck: The man purse. You actually gonna wear that or are you just fuckin' with me?
    Alan Garner: It's where I keep all my things. Get a lot of compliments on this. Plus it's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.

The only concern about Garcia would be his relationship with Guillen. When Carlos and him were together in Houston and Seattle they tended to find trouble. I am not talking about legal trouble, but it had it's affect on their on field play.

Blog Entries

Tigers Hot Stove Thread (trade rumors, free agency, etc)

While Rogers trolls, Tigers look at Marlins' Willis
    Marlins may ask too much for lefty
    November 10, 2007

BY JON PAUL MOROSI
    FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER

After agent Scott Boras told the Tigers this week that free-agent left-hander Kenny Rogers would consider other offers, president/general manager Dave Dombrowski acknowledged that the Tigers had no choice but to pursue different options.

And they wasted no time.

The Tigers inquired about the availability of Florida Marlins left-hander Dontrelle Willis this week, according to one National League executive with knowledge of those discussions.

This is not the first time the Tigers have asked about Willis. They considered trading for him during the 2005-06 off-season but instead signed Rogers to satisfy their need for an established starter.

The Tigers would encounter numerous obstacles in any attempt to acquire Willis.

They would need to assemble the most compelling package of young talent among potential suitors. Their ability to do that has been compromised by the trade of prospects Jair Jurrjens and Gorkys Hernandez to Atlanta for shortstop Edgar Renteria.

There is also the question of Florida's willingness to move Willis. If the Marlins are able to acquire premium talent by trading third baseman Miguel Cabrera -- as they appear inclined to do -- they might keep Willis.

There is no great urgency for Florida to trade Willis.

The reasons for the Tigers' interest are obvious. He is a two-time All-Star who won the 2005 National League Cy Young Award. While he had a career-high 5.17 ERA this past season, Willis led the league with 35 starts and pitched more than 200 innings for a third straight year.

Willis, like Rogers, would benefit from the vast dimensions at Comerica Park. Willis also would fit well into the Tigers' payroll structure for 2008. He is eligible for salary arbitration and is likely to make between $7 million and $8 million. Rogers made $8 million in 2007.

Willis, 25, is scheduled to enter free agency after the 2009 season.
    Find a new slant.

+ Reply to Thread