+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 22
1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Hot stove: Tigers offseason plans (trade rumors, free agency, etc.)

Hot stove: Tigers offseason plans (trade rumors, free agency, etc.)

I'd say it's time for this.

What do you all think?

Yeah, I'm burying them.

Casey gone (unless he takes a small contract to backup 1B). Guillen to 1B permanately, hopefully Maybin can press Thames for LF playing time (with a full offseason of work with the Tigers). Zoom to close (he'll be fine with an offseason of rest IMO). Jones gone. Rogers back (he said he wants to retire as a Tiger) on a 1 year deal.

We have some holes to fill though. We'll need to figure out SS, another setup guy, and address our backup/future catching issues since Pudge will only be here a year IMO.

What are the options there?
    Phil Wenneck: The man purse. You actually gonna wear that or are you just fuckin' with me?
    Alan Garner: It's where I keep all my things. Get a lot of compliments on this. Plus it's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.

That pretty much sounds like a solid plan chris.

Guillen could probably still play SS, but he'd be much more valuable to the team playing 1B and backup up SS. I can't think of anyone in the system that we could call up to play SS, though, so we'd have to keep an eye out for a trade possibility or a solid free agent, which will probably cost a fortune.

I'm not so sure about Zoom closing. I'll have to take a wait-and-see approach to that idea because who knows where he'll be at and if his arm problems will flair up again. It would be nice to have a bit of an insurance policy there.

We REALLY need to get some form of a catching prospect in our system. We traded away the only one we had, so I'm going to assume we really didn't have a very high grade on the kid. Both of our backups are solid backups but nothing more.

I'd say, starting-wise, DH, 2nd, CF, and RF are pretty much solid. 3B isn't going to be changing anytime soon. The team likes Inge there too much.

The starters are basically set if Rogers comes back. There may be a fight for the 5th starting spot, but at least 4 of them are already slotted in.

Also, for the love of God, upgrade the bullpen.

Blog Entries
    I'm thinking about taking up crochet.
    Find a new slant.

First task: Bullpen. Zumaya should be the closer next year. Rodney should be the set up man. Minor should be the long releiver. Keep Byrdak and Seay as LOOGYs. However, beyond that, if you can improve any of those positions, do so. Also bring in another tough right hander to shorten games.

Starting pitching:
    I'd like to see the rotation as follows for next year: 1) Verlander, 2) Bonderman, 3) Rogers, 4) Jurrgens and 5) Miller. We have a very solid core there if they can stay healthy and if Bonderman can stop being a pussy. I would feel very comfortable with that rotation for next year.

Infield:
    As discussed, Guillen plays first. It will keep him healthy and not wear him down throughout the year. Obviously Polanco stays at second. The big signing of the year should be at SS. If there's someone out there, get him. I would like to 3rd upgraded. If you can sign a great 3rd baseman, then you can stick with a defensive SS. We can't have 3rd and SS being just defensive positions.

Catching:
    Pudge is slowing down, but he's still a good catcher. I'd keep him but sign a decent backup because Rabello struggles.

Outfield:
    Granderson should be our CF for years to come, while Mags will stay in right. I'd like to see Maybin step up for next year, but if not I'm still okay with Thames. If we upgrade the left side of the infield, LF won't be a problem.

DH:
    If Sheff wants to stay, keep him. But I would rotate him and Mags a little more next year. Sheff seems to do better when he gets kickstarted by playing in the field. That might keep him in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by WTFchris
    MoTown is right.

Blog Entries
    ^
    Find a new slant.

What FA options are there at 3B and SS? We can always move Inge to SS, so either is an option IMO. I'd like to get a very good bat there though. Someone that can hit .300 and 20+ HR's.

I'm sure there will be big guys on the trade block (A-Rod, Tejada, etc?), but I don't think we have the ammo to get those guys anyway without giving up a Miller, Porcello, etc.
    Phil Wenneck: The man purse. You actually gonna wear that or are you just fuckin' with me?
    Alan Garner: It's where I keep all my things. Get a lot of compliments on this. Plus it's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.

The only free agents that I can think of right now that might be an upgrade are Mike Lowell (3B), Juan Uribe (SS) and Royce Clayton (SS).

Other than that, we might have to make a trade. It doesn't have to be someone of Tejada or A-Rod's stature, just a better hitter than .250 and a strikeout whenever the team needs you (Inge).

Honestly, not a whole lot of changes need to be made. People might forget that this team was supposed to be the best team in the league this year. If it wasn't for injuries, they might have been. Plus, with pitching like we are capable of having, offense doesn't need to be great. Just clutch.

MoTown is right.

Isringhausen might be a good option for a set up guy as well.

MoTown is right.

Quote Originally Posted by MoTown
    The only free agents that I can think of right now that might be an upgrade are Mike Lowell (3B), Juan Uribe (SS) and Royce Clayton (SS).

Other than that, we might have to make a trade. It doesn't have to be someone of Tejada or A-Rod's stature, just a better hitter than .250 and a strikeout whenever the team needs you (Inge).

Honestly, not a whole lot of changes need to be made. People might forget that this team was supposed to be the best team in the league this year. If it wasn't for injuries, they might have been. Plus, with pitching like we are capable of having, offense doesn't need to be great. Just clutch.
    Lowell would be nice, how old is he though? We'd need to get a couple years out of him at least. We could platoon Inge and Santiago at SS so we don't have to count on Inge every day.

+ Reply to Thread