+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 29
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: The Ultimate Power Rankings Thread

1. wtfdetroit forums
    100. ESPN forums
    1000. Mlive forums
    Phil Wenneck: The man purse. You actually gonna wear that or are you just fuckin' with me?
    Alan Garner: It's where I keep all my things. Get a lot of compliments on this. Plus it's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.

Blog Entries
    1. Cogent
    2. Super Cogent
    3. Cogently
    4. Cogency
    5. Pleather
    Find a new slant.

Blog Entries
    One from Glenn Jr....

1. Yo Gabba Gabba
    2. Go Diego Go!
    3. Little Einsteins
    4. Dora the Explorer
    5. Jack's Big Music Show
    Find a new slant.

Blog Entries
    I like this thread, could end up being one of my all-time favorites if it lives up to its potential, so far so good.

Thanks for playing, guys.

(Also, you are so right about the Mt. Rushmore thread, Fool. That thing should have been destined for greatness. Not sure why it never caught on.)

(Also, that Teddy Roosevelt quote contains what might be the longest sentence that I have ever seen.)
    Last edited by Glenn; 09-07-2007 at 09:53 AM.
    Find a new slant.

Blog Entries
    1. Larry
    2. Moe
    3. Curly
    4. Shemp
    5. Curly Joe
    Find a new slant.

Blog Entries
    1. Post #26
    2. Post #22
    3. Post #24
    4. Post #23
    5. Post #25
    Find a new slant.

look at this caca water, it's disgusting!
    1. Laimbeer
    2. Isiah
    3. Bob Lanier
    4. Microwave
    5. Bing

look at this caca water, it's disgusting!
    1. Ofay
    2. Peckerwood
    3. Honkey
    4. Cracker
    5. Devil

1. Canker sores
    2. Mosquito bites
    3. sore throat
    4. biting a fingernail too low
    5. chancres on your penis
    Winning breeds confidence. Losing breeds reality.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Swami
    Swami's Top 5 Preznits:

5. George Washington. He formulated the entire look and feel of the American presidency. He made sure that the American President behaved with humility, and he was very cautious about getting an inflated sense of dignity. He acknowledged that he was not born to be a political leader, so he encouraged vigorous debate in the Cabinet, and listened to many different opinions before making a firm decision. He was very careful not to let the Presidency get infected with a lust for power.
    Great quote: A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master.

4. Theodore Roosevelt. A man of adventure and energy, and certainly not a man beholden to his political party. He was dynamic and politically progressive. He was a sickly child from a rich family, but you'd never think it. He was fiercely independent, hated the influence of corporations over the government, and repeatedly spat in the face of people who expected favors from him. He established the first meaningful economic, labor and environmental regulations. But my favorite two things about Teddy Roosevelt: first, he was the only president to kill a panther in a knife fight while in office; second, he lost the sight in one eye after one too many fights in his White House boxing ring, and he promised his doctor he would give up boxing - so he started taking Ju Jitsu lessons.
    Great quote: It is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes up short again and again, because there is no effort without error or shortcoming, but who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself for a worthy cause; who, at the best, knows, in the end, the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat.

3. Thomas Jefferson. He was our nation's first and last scientifically literate president. He made several important scientific discoveries himself, as well as being a rather good political philosopher, and in addition to his passionate and inspiring writing. He crafted the Declaration of Independence, the Jefferson Bible (the Gospels had all the miracles edited out), and was probably the single force behind the separation of church and state. He was a true man of the Enlightenment, and even the ownership of slaves can only cast a small shadow on his legacy.
    Great quote: it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no God. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.

2. Lincoln. A lot of politicians run for office now claiming to be a "Washinton outsider," but there was only really one outsider, and that was Lincoln. He was derided as an idealistic hick when the newly-formed Republican Party put him forward as their presidential candidate in 1860, but the South took him seriously enough that they used his election to justify secession. Many presidents hated slavery, but he was the first to draw a line in the sand, and fully understand the consequences. He was also probably the last man of decency to hold the office of President; most that came after were tainted by corruption or ethical compromise.
    Great quote: But, in a larger sense, we can not dedicate -- we can not consecrate -- we can not hallow -- this ground. The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract. The world will little note, nor long remember what we say here, but it can never forget what they did here. It is for us the living, rather, to be dedicated here to the unfinished work which they who fought here have thus far so nobly advanced. It is rather for us to be here dedicated to the great task remaining before us -- that from these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they gave the last full measure of devotion -- that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain -- that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom -- and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth.

post of the year???...!!!

the thing about lincoln is that history has judged him favorably of some pretty unforgivable acts (marshall law?). jr should be so lucky that historians take terrorism as seriously as slavery.

and for your fdr quote, it sticks out like a sore thumb with pretty much any jr quote since 9/11 "be afraid!".

1. FDR. How many goddamn kids born in the 40s and 50s were named Frank or Franklin? FDR was the president who managed to inherit a country in economic collapse and on the brink of war, and died with the nation on its way to victory and enormous economic growth. His New Deal showed what America can do when it is at its best, and his Fireside Chats made him the first president to communicate regularly with the public. He was the reason presidents can now only be elected to 2 terms - FDR won 4 presidential elections, and we would have voted him God if we could have. He was the president of results - no other president has had such a huge task set ahead of him and no other president has overcome that task with such success.
    Great quote: First of all, let me assert my firm belief that the only thing we have to fear is fear itself - nameless, unreasoning, unjustified terror which paralyzes needed efforts to convert retreat into advance.

+ Reply to Thread