+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 25
FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast

Thread: The official "Fool loves the Detroit Shock" thread (Presented By Tampax)

What are you talking about Glenn? Game 3 is on right now (started at 9pm Tuesday).
    STEW BEEF!

Boom Shock win. Couldn't watch the game I was busy getting a fucking traffic ticket but from the box score it looks like Deana Nolan (who's better than Chauncey) carried the team with a double double (20pts 10 rebs) and actually made an effort to drive a bit (that's a guess from the 6 FTA/M). She also had 6 dimes. Katie Smith was on from 3 (4-8) and ended up with a team high 22. Looks like she camped at the arc as she had 0 boards and also fouled out (though she played 35 minutes of a 40 minute game). Super sub (and 6th woman of the year) Pierson had a solid performance and Cheryl Ford grabbed 13 boards in 27 minutes (good to see that she was able to play. Have to see if she's alright to play game four which is Thursday 8:30pm not Sunday at 7am or whatever Glenn).

PHX shot twice as many foul shots (28/31 to 12/15) but also shot nearly twice as many threes and didn't make shit of those (5 out of 31). Their coach Paul Westhead (not Paul Westphal the former Suns coach) is known for saying that "any shot is a good shot" (supposedly meaning that a miss is better than a turnover). I wonder if he thought those 26 misses from the arc were all good shots.
    Last edited by Fool; 09-12-2007 at 11:06 AM.
    STEW BEEF!

Reading the Recap: Nolan didn't drive (4 of those 6 FTs were in the final 8 seconds) and the Shock lead the whole game.

From message boards:
    Diana Taurasi seemed to be getting every shooter's roll imaginable. She ended up with 22 points. However, the rest of the Mercury didn't get the same benefit. They missed a ton of shots tonight. That one trip down the court where they had 5 separate possessions and failed to score was one of the deciding factors.

The bench for the Mercury saw only two players in the game and then they only contributed 6 points. The Shock bench outscored them 31-6! I know the Mercury starting five is one phenomenal quintet but they need a little bit more help than that.

This thread is aply named.
    Last edited by Fool; 09-12-2007 at 12:16 AM.
    STEW BEEF!

Blog Entries
    Damnit! I fell asleep before the game started. When's the clincher?

Nevermind...Thursday.

FYI: Taurasi is a whiny bitch:

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/merc...yonline11.html

According to Mercury players who watched the film, there was a series of elbows from Pierson, a former Mercury forward, at midcourt as they raced toward the Detroit basket. Taylor teammate Diana Taurasi said there was more than just elbows.

"She threw a punch, easy as that," said Taurasi, who scored 15 of her 22 points in a hard-fought second half. "We just saw the film. If you get hit in the face, and it's not a punch, I don't know what else it is."

Taurasi's anger first flared when she walked to the interview room after the Mercury loss. Near the door, she confronted WNBA Chief of Operations Renee Brown. Taurasi was suspended for two games at midseason for using profanity toward officials late in a regular-season loss to - of all teams - Detroit.

When asked if the WNBA should look at the film and consider a similar disciplinary measure against Pierson, Taurasi said:

"I think the league should look at it. If you get suspended for cursing, I think you should be suspended for slapping someone."

Was it a slap or a punch?
    STEW BEEF!

Blog Entries
    I'd still hit it.

Blog Entries
    Obviously staged drama, WWE-style.
    Find a new slant.

Blog Entries
    CLINCHER'S TONIGHT!!

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...709130381/1052

Laimbeer gets behind the laptop, interacts with hecklers as 'SFO'

September 13, 2007

BY CHRIS SILVA

Scroll through the pages of Rebkell.com, a WNBA message board, and you will come across a thread titled: "Laimbeer's House of Thug School."

On the thread Wednesday, someone by the name of "bballfan" posted a mock pamphlet on what you can learn at the school, things such as how to act innocent, how to argue with refs, basic thuggery and opponent intimidation skills, taking a technical for the team and the Ancient Art of Flopping.

A few posts below, "SFO" replied: "And it only costs $10k to attend with a $100 discount for a second attendee."

SFO is an acronym for Shock Front Office. And the man behind the screen name is none other than Shock coach/Bad Boy Bill Laimbeer himself.

"That was pretty good," he said of the thread during Shock practice. "I liked that one."

Laimbeer visits the site nearly every day and is an occasional poster (he had 215 posts as of Wednesday.

"It's funny to read some of the stuff," he said. "Some of the stuff is from other (league) insiders that post stuff that they know for a fact, but it's behind-the-scenes stuff, so you can pick up a couple of things there."

But why does Laimbeer post on a message board, especially one that takes cheap shots at him and his team?

"Why not?" he said. "I'm not giving away any secrets, I'm not doing anything stupid. I'm just either confirming stuff or making funny comments or things like that -- or starting a debate on something."

So does Laimbeer frequent other fan sites or message boards?

"No," he said, "that's about it."

ESPN.com? "Nope."

Not even wtfdetroit.com?

"Nope, sorry."

Bitch-made.
    STEW BEEF!

+ Reply to Thread