View RSS Feed

Wilfredo Ledezma

Got my degree, now what?

Rate this Entry
So I'm about 2 months from officially earning my Bachelor in Accountancy. On the surface, it sounds like quite the accomplishment, however I can't shake the feeling that college was the biggest waste of money ever.

For the last 2 years, when courses are supposed to increase in vigor and push students towards their mental breaking points, I have learned absolutely nothing. I took courses on Auditing, Not-for-Profit accounting, Government accounting, three awful tax courses dealing with dry topics like estates, gifts, and trusts. I was lectured on what differences accountants face when dealing with S-Corporations, LLC's, and Partnerships. I was taught how to amortize bonds, liquidate stock, and depreciate assets. But for what purpose? Will I ever use any of this shit? Probably not, and if I do, I'm sure I'll have more resources at my disposal than a disinterested professor and a 4 function calculator.

I'm not sure how I found a way to pass each class. Logic suggests it was a combination of cheating, guessing, Adderall, and buying publisher testbanks from sketchy websites to help me cram the night before. I suppose that's how most of my peers do it these days.

Common wisdom suggests that upon earning a BA in Accounting, one should strongly consider obtaining their CPA (a.k.a. 25 additional credit hours and 2 years working for an accounting firm...oh yeah, and pass the fucking CPA exam). Fuck no.

I don't have a passion for accounting, in fact I hate everything about it. I'm currently working as an accounting intern (mostly filling in for the Internal Audit) for a company in downtown Detroit and I think I would commit suicide by age 25 if I had to do it the rest of my life. I suppose there are ways to climb up the proverbial ladder -- after 15+ years maybe one can become a CFO or start their own business. Neither of those seem appealing to me. I've never made more than $15,000/year in my brief working life, so making $40k straight out of college seems surreal.

I'm not, and never have been, an over-achiever. I was spoiled as a child, attended private school K through 12 where coursework was manageable and, for the most part, required very little effort. My GPA is not exemplary (3.1), but I never intended for it to be. My BA is worth just as much as the moron who wasted 4 years of their life to earn their 4.0. I'm not proud of myself for finishing school, since I literally put no effort, only $ into the matter. When I submitted my graduation application, I told them I was not interested in walking or purchasing a cap & gown. Just mail the fucking piece of paper to my house, thank you.

I'm 22 years old. Since I can remember, life was always about school first. From K through 12 I spent each day acquiring the skills necessary to prepare me for where I'm at right now. And now that I'm at the point where it should all feel like its paid off, I feel unfulfilled. The world view of graduating college suggests that it is the formal entrance into adulthood -- but upon accruing $15k of debt and buying a plethora of worthless textbooks -- I can't help but think I crossed that entrance 4 years ago.

Submit "Got my degree, now what?" to Digg Submit "Got my degree, now what?" to del.icio.us Submit "Got my degree, now what?" to StumbleUpon Submit "Got my degree, now what?" to Google

Tags: college, degree Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

1. Timone -
    For the last 2 years, when courses are supposed to increase in vigor and push students towards their mental breaking points, I have learned absolutely nothing.
    Good to see you admit that you were wrong.
  2. Timone -
    Nice blog, though, bro.
    Updated 03-02-2011 at 07:57 PM by Timone
  3. DrRay11 -
    I feel similarly, having graduated last May. If I lived every day like it is right now, fairly alone, working at a job I have no passion for, I would probably commit suicide by 25, too.

That's not in the cards, though... I'll just have to find something different.

Still haven't framed my diploma, don't give a shit.

Good luck finding something that suits your interests. I got my degree, now, too, have been working a menial job and couldn't give a single shit about the company for which I work. Now what?
  4. Timone -
    I'm turning 25 this year. I've still got a shot!
  5. RegicideGreg -
    I graduated in 2008, worked at Target for a year, now I will be getting my Master's in a couple weeks. Still never had a real job. At least with an accounting degree you can make some money to bide your time. I'm working with a BS in Kinesiology and a MS in Sports Management looking for a job any where. I am finishing my second unpaid internship here in Florida with nothing more than two sheets of paper to show for it.
  6. Vinny -
    I heer u nead @ leest 2 dagreas.