WTFDetroit.com

View Full Version : Best drafts Day 1

Jethro34
04-28-2007, 06:09 PM
It's hard to criticize either team that traded into the 1st. Both Cleveland and San Francisco had drafts that I think Detroit fans would love. Unfortunately both had to give up 1st round picks next year to get it.

But Thomas and Quinn is a great 1st round.
So is Willis and Staley. I'm guessing Chris would have much rather had that draft than CJ, but I'm waiting on the 2nd and 3rd rounds to give my full grades. As much as I was cheering for trading down at one point, and as many other needs that were bigger than WR, I can't help but be excited still. We'll see what happens in 30 minutes when we pick at 34.

WTFchris
04-30-2007, 09:59 AM
Too bad Staley went to the 49ers. I was hoping Denver would take him (I'm moving there soon) so I could watch him more. I was shocked to see Bazuin go that high. I think he's going to be a good player, but I thought he'd be an option for us in the 3rd round.

kdawg32086
05-01-2007, 01:22 AM
Cleveland had the best draft by far. They are the only team who ended up with three impact players.

WTFchris
05-01-2007, 10:13 AM
Cleveland had the best draft by far. They are the only team who ended up with three impact players.\

I don't get why people think Cleveland had such a good draft. You have to factor in the future picks traded too. Sure, they got Thomas and Quinn. They also gave up next year's first and this year's second. They could have had any QB not named Quinn or Russell at their second rounder, or had Blaylock (OG), Houston (CB) or Weddle (S). Or a MLB like Harris, a DE/OLB like Woodley too. Suppose next year they are a top 10 pick. Is the top 10 pick worth the difference between Quinn and Stanton or Beck? Don't know. Only time will tell.

micknugget
05-01-2007, 04:00 PM
I was over at ESPN.com and found this really cool link to draft grades from most of the majors sports sites all on one chart:

http://sports.espn.go.com/chat/sportsnation/story?id=2854030

Zip Goshboots
05-01-2007, 04:16 PM
You can't even assess Cleveland at this point, because the "X" factor is next years first round pick, which would have been in the top five, and will be gone, sacrificed at the altar of the Golden Dome.
Only if Brady Quinn turns into an all pro quarterback, with a long, distinguished career will that make this draft for Cleveland a good one.
And yes, I buy the theory that if Quinn is that good, then it would be like having that pick next year, only it was made this year and got some experience.
Now, I'm sure Mel Kuiper has Jimmy Clausen rated as the #1 pick in the 2011 draft already.