WTFDetroit.com

View Full Version : Calvin Johnson is the pick!

H1Man
04-28-2007, 01:38 PM
Barring a trade, it looks like Calvin Johnson is going to be a Lion and based on what Millen said, a trade looks unlikely.

gusman
04-28-2007, 01:55 PM
good

I want to make a trade and pick brady as well, now that would be exciting

b-diddy
04-28-2007, 02:05 PM
well, im sure our next gm will be glad to have a stud young wr. thats really all that matters. i think its funny that it looks like millen tried to force oak to draft russell. if millen got russell, he would have bought himself 3-4 more years, easily. 1st year, dont play him (cant get fired). 2nd year, he plays but its a honeymoon situation (cant get fired). 3rd year, now your expecting results. but even if russell is a complete bust, millen has made it 3 years without any real fear of being fired.

the more i think about it, the more i hope we keep calvin. why not? i really hope we dont trade him for defense. thats so boring. im still drunk from last night, btw. maybe millen is too.

micknugget
04-28-2007, 02:24 PM
I DO NOT want Brady. He was only a good QB on a great team and I would much rather wait until the 2nd and take Edwards, Beck, Moore, or Kolb.

darkobetterthanmelo
04-28-2007, 02:29 PM
Trade up and get BQ

b-diddy
04-28-2007, 02:35 PM
carolinasgot to grab him, right?

JickBoy34
04-28-2007, 02:54 PM
notre dame was a great team?

Zip Goshboots
04-28-2007, 02:55 PM
"Good quarterback on a great team"?
Notre Dame's record over the last three years has only been puffed up by playing all three service acadmies, Purdue, and beating Hopeless Lloyd Carr two of three. Their defense has been HORRIBLE.
Having said that, Weiss coached Quinn up and got some pretty good numbers out of him against their weak schedule. But Weiss has gotten Quinn's full potential in my opinion.
I wouldn't take Quinn and depend on him to revitalize the Lions. In fact, after Russell, I don't think that QB is in this years draft.

micknugget
04-28-2007, 03:08 PM
notre dame was a great team?

I mispoke. By great team I meant moreso the exposure that they get, their popularity, and the overall aura that is put with Notre Dame. I should have used the term "organization" instead of team. Quinn was a good QB but I think that he really is nothing more than a good QB in college and won't be anything special in the pros. I compare him to Rick Mirer who was also highly touted but I think a lot of that is just because they played for Notre Dame.

I do however really like Edwards from Stanford, Kolb from Houston, and Moore from Oregon State. I wouldn't mind picking up Edwards with our 2nd or either of the other two with our 3rd.

Zip Goshboots
04-28-2007, 03:23 PM
Nice save, micknugget. Good call with Mirer, who Quinn, curiously enough, closely resembles.

b-diddy
04-28-2007, 04:51 PM
ok, nothing is easier than criticize millen. and now that it looks like we're keeping johnson hes about to get a ton of it.

but not from me. im down with this pick. you cant let your past failures define your future actions. rogers didnt work out, and mike williams was a bad pick. but johnson is pretty much the definition of an ideal wr, and our offense is going to be amazing next year, assuming kitna stays healthy, the o-line doesnt break down. our running game is what it is.

this guy is a future pro-bowler and possible hall of famer. if those things happen, then this was a great pick.

b-diddy
04-28-2007, 04:53 PM
ps: i think we should trade up and grab staley. if they do that, i'd feel alot better about our line.

Zip Goshboots
04-28-2007, 04:55 PM
I'm with ya, diddy. I couldn't care less how many players you've drafted in a certain position. If one more comes along who appears to be better than the rest combined, you take him!

H1Man
04-28-2007, 05:03 PM
Could Staley last another 8 picks?

b-diddy
04-28-2007, 05:06 PM
i cant see chicago passing on him. we need to trade up.

Vinny
04-28-2007, 05:11 PM
i cant see chicago passing on him. we need to trade up.

Agreed. The second and a fifth?

Vinny
04-28-2007, 05:13 PM
I love the Calvin Johnson pick. He's a true game-changer, the kind of player you can't pass on no matter what your other needs are.

b-diddy
04-28-2007, 05:23 PM
alan branch is also still out there.

H1Man
04-28-2007, 05:33 PM
Screw the 49ers.

BIG BEN'S FRO
04-28-2007, 10:26 PM
Calvin Johnson can score in the redzone, and that's all I really needed to think about that should validate his taking. Its a great thing we paid Furrey like a #2 WR, when they must have had at least some idea that now he will be our #3. I just hope we make use of our fifth rounders and don't give them away.

b-diddy
04-28-2007, 10:54 PM
the thing about millen is he makes such huge blunders that all these tiny little ones, like overpaying furrey for a limited role, can go unnoticed. he literally does everything wrong.

Uncle Mxy
04-29-2007, 02:11 PM
What's the over/under on Calvin Johnson having a career-limiting injury in the next 3 years?

Zip Goshboots
04-29-2007, 05:56 PM
Mxy:
I love this pick, I think Johnson goes 12-14 long, great years in the league.
I don't think his most productive years will be spent in Detroit, though. He'll find a way out.

mercury
04-29-2007, 07:46 PM
It would seem to be difficult to throw to your receivers laying on your back... which is the position we are STILL in... our protection is like a toll booth that you toss a coin in... it's not designed to stop anyone....
It's not like our running game will keep em honest...just more QB injuries and shaken confidence... S.O.S. different day.

DrRay11
04-29-2007, 07:53 PM
CJ threw the first pitch in the Tigers game today... not that it means much.

Jethro34
04-29-2007, 08:01 PM
I think our line HAS improved. Foster, Mulitalo and Piller will make for good competition in camp and the line should be not spectacular, but solid to start the season. Almost everyone on the line has injury concerns, but at least they are deep with above average players now. The problem the past few seasons was that we had a few average players starting and everyone behind them was horrible. Now the entire line is above average, and the guys behind them are the injured would-be starters from last year.
We got a better blocking back in Duckett and a faster back to keep another defender looking to the edge instead of attacking the backfield.
It's still not an iron wall by any means, but I say we can cut the sacks substantially. What was it, 63 last season? That's pretty much 4 per game. I think we can cut that down to an average of 3 per game, giving Kitna 16 more attempts on the season. He'll complete 9 of those and get 7 yards each time. That's a half dozen drives kept alive, which then compounds and so on. It WILL be a better offense. However, since only 3 of their 13 losses were decided by less than a TD, I don't think their record improves dramatically. The aerial attack will be amazing. I'm still worried about what will happen when we inevitably have to run the ball. A potentially healthy KJ with Bell and Duckett better do more. In 10 of 16 games our leading rusher was held under 50 yards.

luniz
04-29-2007, 09:14 PM
lions will have the first pick in next year's draft anyway.

Jethro34
04-29-2007, 10:10 PM
Not the first pick. Though I wish they would. Then they could trade with Dallas, who would pick Brian Brohm and allow Detroit to take Jake Long and James Laurinaitis.

micknugget
04-29-2007, 11:25 PM
After looking at the team on Sunday does anyone realize that if Kitna gets hurt this team has no real QB with any experience!!!!!!!!!! That's kinda scary, at least for an NFL team.

Glenn
04-30-2007, 08:47 AM
After looking at the team on Sunday does anyone realize that if Kitna gets hurt this team has no real QB with any experience!!!!!!!!!! That's kinda scary, at least for an NFL team.

Get ready for Shaun King II.

Jethro34
04-30-2007, 09:14 PM
You're right, but don't underestimate Orlovsky. He had some real game action, although it was only in parts of two games and it was in 2005. But I think there's quite a difference between that and a complete rookie. Also, he was in the system all year last year with Martz as a student and was good enough to be #2 on the depth chart, ahead of Oakland's starting QB for next season. That's enough to reassure me a bit.

And like others have said, it's not like this team is going to the Super Bowl, or even the playoffs next season, so I'm not freaking out about it. We have options 1 and 2 for the future at the position, whatever order they may be in at any point in the season.

mercury
04-30-2007, 09:53 PM
I think our line HAS improved. Foster, Mulitalo and Piller will make for good competition in camp and the line should be not spectacular, but solid to start the season. Almost everyone on the line has injury concerns, but at least they are deep with above average players now. The problem the past few seasons was that we had a few average players starting and everyone behind them was horrible. Now the entire line is above average, and the guys behind them are the injured would-be starters from last year.
We got a better blocking back in Duckett and a faster back to keep another defender looking to the edge instead of attacking the backfield.
It's still not an iron wall by any means, but I say we can cut the sacks substantially. What was it, 63 last season? That's pretty much 4 per game. I think we can cut that down to an average of 3 per game, giving Kitna 16 more attempts on the season. He'll complete 9 of those and get 7 yards each time. That's a half dozen drives kept alive, which then compounds and so on. It WILL be a better offense. However, since only 3 of their 13 losses were decided by less than a TD, I don't think their record improves dramatically. The aerial attack will be amazing. I'm still worried about what will happen when we inevitably have to run the ball. A potentially healthy KJ with Bell and Duckett better do more. In 10 of 16 games our leading rusher was held under 50 yards.
I will agree that Foster could be a solid mainstay (only 26 years old and a 1st round pick by Broncos in 03)... however Mulitalo and Piller are big ? s
Both players were released by there teams (why not someone else for salary reasons?).
Mulitalo had an early season ending injury (triceps).
Pillar had two season ending injuries in the past three years.... The Titans released him because he was only projected to be a backup lineman in 07.
We'll see if the sacks and rushing yards improve... color me not convinced.

WTFchris
05-01-2007, 10:17 AM
I think it's scary that people think there will be a huge drop off from Kitna. This is Jon Kitna remember. I like the guy, and in fact wanted him here. But I didn't expect him to throw so many picks. Hopefully we can just chalk that up to the first year in a hard offense with a depleted WR corps and a patchwork OL.

Glenn
05-01-2007, 11:27 AM
MOLA just emailed me this, good stuff

KinC5fuAJ98