WTFDetroit.com

View Full Version : Lions & Falcons Trade Rumor

Wizzle
04-26-2007, 08:41 AM
SI's Banks: Falcons owner orders GM to trade for No. 2 pick
Posted by Bill Emkow April 25, 2007 22:27PM
Categories: Draft, Trade Rumors
The Falcons covet Calvin Johnson because he's played at Georgia Tech, he'll help sell tickets to disillusioned fans, and they need a WR to pair with Michael Vick. Now, Don Banks of SI.com reports that the Falcons' owner may be growing desperate to make the move. And he has the ammunition.

April 25, SI.com: Sources say Falcons owner Arthur Blank has pretty much ordered Atlanta general manager Rich McKay to do everything he can to put the team into position to land Johnson at No. 2.
With seven picks in the first four rounds (including two second-rounders and three in the fourth), Atlanta definitely has the ammo to make the deal with Detroit. The Falcons could send the Lions their picks at 8, 39 and 44 for the No. 2 spot, and still have a third-rounder and three fourth-rounders to fill other needs.

The Lions are known to covet middle linebacker Patrick Willis of Mississippi and would be perfectly situated at No. 8 to select him. Picking up at least two extra second-rounders in the process would meet Matt Millen's goal of turning the No. 2 slot into a first-day package of picks.

This is the one that I would love to see happen. You would still get high quality at 8 and be loaded with picks.

(my apologies if this should go in the Lions trade rumors thread but the Broncos rumor got its own thread and I think this is a better deal so [smilie=flips.gif])

WTFchris
04-26-2007, 09:16 AM
I think we discussed this in one of the threads. I would definately do it.

Take Landry or Adams in the first.

Harris/Durant (MLB), Staley/Blaylock (RT), and the Texas CB in the second.

Stanton if he's there in the third (or use a 5th rounder or two to move up if you need to).

defrocked
04-26-2007, 09:30 AM
Another nice deal. Like this one better than the Denver deal, just 'cause we can still get one of the so-called impact players on D, while picking up extra picks on Day 1.

FillyCheezeSteak
04-26-2007, 09:39 AM
Its almost a done deal that we'll take Trent Edwards in the 2nd round and Staley will be looooong gone before the 2nd round hits. I do wonder what would happen if we had all these 2nd's and someone we liked was available late in the first ala Kevin Jones a few years ago.

micknugget
04-26-2007, 10:00 AM
As much as I like Johnson, I would do this in a heartbeat. With this many picks you could really re-vmap the team.

Glenn
04-26-2007, 10:10 AM
As much as I like Johnson, I would do this in a heartbeat. With this many picks you could really re-vmap the team.

I tend to agree, but then I remembered who the person is that is going to be MAKING those picks.

WTFchris
04-26-2007, 10:11 AM
Its almost a done deal that we'll take Trent Edwards in the 2nd round and Staley will be looooong gone before the 2nd round hits.

I think Staley might be gone too, but I can dream. If he's gone I'd be happy with getting another OL there, as we need help there.

I don't get the Edwards talk. I thought the Lions were pretty high on Stanton. I think they use their 3rd on him and an extra 5th rounder to move up for him if they think another team is eying him at the end of the 2nd.

Glenn
04-26-2007, 10:21 AM
I don't think Stanton will be there in the 3rd.

Not that this means anything, but Kiper has him as the #3 QB in the draft behind Russell & Quinn, I have to think somebody is going to take him in the first 60 picks.

DrRay11
04-26-2007, 10:36 AM
I tend to agree, but then I remembered who the person is that is going to be MAKING those picks.

The last time we traded down, those picks turned out to be pretty solid.

:yingyang:

WTFchris
04-26-2007, 10:45 AM
I don't think Stanton will be there in the 3rd.

Not that this means anything, but Kiper has him as the #3 QB in the draft behind Russell & Quinn, I have to think somebody is going to take him in the first 60 picks.

That may be so, but i'm not spending a second rounder on a QB unless we get TWO extra second rounders in the Atlanta deal. We need MLB, OL, CB a LOT more in the 2nd round. And possibly SS as well.

micknugget
04-26-2007, 10:50 AM
Looking over the draft, #8 would still be a really nice pick being able to take one of these guys. Here are my top 12:

J. Russell
C. Johnson
J. Thomas
B. Quinn
G. Adams
A. Petersen
L. Landry
A. Okoye
P. Willis
L. Hall

DrRay11
04-26-2007, 10:51 AM
Or 10.

micknugget
04-26-2007, 11:05 AM
Or 10.

yea, I started to do 12 but it kinda got sketchy after 10 so I stuck with 10. They are all really nice players that would help the Lions for sure......plus we get a couple extra seconds. We should get Atl. to throw in an extra 4th and do the deal.

H1Man
04-27-2007, 12:36 PM
Per PFT

FALCONS, LIONS TALKING TRADE

A source with knowledge of the situation tells us that the Lions and Falcons currently are discussing the possibility of a trade that would give Atlanta the No. 2 overall pick in the draft, and that would move Detroit down to No. 8.

If a deal gets done, however, be prepared for the Lions to get a better package than the trade chart would suggest. Given reports that Falcons owner Arthur Blank has ordered G.M. Rich McKay to "git 'r done", and in light of quarterback Mike Vick's currently unfolding legal entanglement, the Falcons are desperate (we believe) to get a player who has the appeal of Mike Vick, without the warts (or other bodily defects).

The Lions can name their price on this one, and they'd be wise to aim high.

mercury
04-27-2007, 03:19 PM
The Falcons could have the resources to move up to say #5 or #6... this would sweeten the pot for the Lions... potentially the #5 pick and an early 2nd rounder.

WTFchris
04-27-2007, 04:58 PM
#5 wouldn't happen because the Cards want Thomas. They wouldn't move down. The Skins would move down to #8 though because they'd take a DT that would be there at #8 anyway.

Jethro34
04-27-2007, 07:08 PM
Everything I've heard about this deal is that it's 8, 39 and 44. If I'm Millen and I know I can likely get Patrick Willis at 8 I make that deal.

However, I may actually just draft Johnson and then wait until the Vikings have picked. If Willis is still there and the Falcons up the offer to 8, 39, 44 and 75 - even better. If they don't go along with that offer then keep CJ and be happy you have him.

Regardless of the potential deals, I think Detroit would be well off to take Johnson with the pick and let the trade offers continue to pour in.