WTFDetroit.com

View Full Version : Lions & Broncos Trade Rumor

H1Man
04-25-2007, 11:44 AM
Per PFT:

BRONCOS WANT JOHNSON

A reader tells us that there's a rumor being reported on 950 AM in Denver that the Broncos are trying to make a play for the No. 2 overall pick in the draft, in an effort to land receiver Calvin Johnson.

A source with knowledge of the discussions tells us that the rumor is dead-on accurate, and that an offer has been made by the Broncos to the Lions.

Per the rumor and based on what we've heard, the Broncos have offered their first-round, second-round, and third-round pick in the 2007 draft and their first-rounder in 2008 for the No. 2 spot.

The Lions, we're told, are concerned that the No. 21 overall spot would put them too low to land one of the players whom they covet. The Lions' goal in trading down is/has been to get more picks, and to still get one of the players they want, but at a lower salary slot.

So the deal might hinge on the ability of the Lions to line up another deal that would allow them to move back up a bit.

The Broncos hold the No. 21 overall pick in round one, the No. 56 overall pick (No. 24 in round two), and the No. 70 and No. 86 overall picks (No. 6 and No. 23, respectively, in round three). We don't know which of the third-rounders has been offered.

Under the trade chart, the deal might favor the Lions. But different teams value picks from the next year's draft differently; some teams downgrade the points by a full round, making a 2008 first-rounder the equivalent of a 2007 second-rounder. The other problem here is that no one will know where the Broncos will draft in round one until the 2007 season ends.

The entire deal would be contingent on the Raiders not drafting Calvin Johnson with the No. 1 overall pick. We're currently told that the Raiders are expected to strike a deal on a contract with quarterback JaMarcus Russell before Saturday.

However, the fact that former Raiders coach/current Broncos coach Mike Shanahan apparently has a bee in his butt for Johnson could cause Raiders owner Al Davis to think twice about whether he would prefer to have Johnson on his team -- or to have to face him twice per year.

Pretty good deal IMO.

We won't be able to draft Adams, Willis or Landry but we should still end up with an impact player at #21. But I can't see Marinelli or Millen trading down so far. I think they want to trade down to the 3-8 range and still have a shot at getting one of Adams or Willis.

DrRay11
04-25-2007, 11:47 AM
Six picks on the first day and an extra first next year? Come on. We're not going to turn it around in a year anyway, we may as well build a solid nucleus.

Zip Goshboots
04-25-2007, 11:51 AM
I'm finally sold on that one myself, e-ray. For all those picks, this one is a no brainer.
I bet Adams just might be there when 21 comes around. Other GM's are looking at him and saying, "Hey, Millen likes this guy! He must suck".
There is a good possibility that Alan Branch could fall to 21 also. Would the Lions take him? Who knows? Who cares?

defrocked
04-25-2007, 12:07 PM
Wow, I think we have to take it. Like e-ray said, we're not turning it around with one player. This is a deal that gets us some instant young depth. Nearly a no-brainer to me.

darkobetterthanmelo
04-25-2007, 12:13 PM
do it

micknugget
04-25-2007, 01:09 PM
I don't know if i'd turn it down but we might still get a better offer si I vote to wait another day or two.

WTFchris
04-25-2007, 02:36 PM
hmm. one thing to consider is that if the Broncos pick #2 and take Johnson, you have to think they will get better. that pick next year will be mid-late 20's, especially with Cutler getting another year to improve. As long as we can get Willis with their pick this year, I'm all for it, even if we have to sacrifice a 4th rounder or so to move up a few spots to get him.

Jethro34
04-25-2007, 10:52 PM
At #21 I pick Joe Staley if he's still there. Jarvis Moss (DE - Florida) and Robert Meachem (WR - Tenn) are also possibilities there. I wouldn't mind it.

b-diddy
04-25-2007, 11:41 PM
i like staley too. better than levi brown.

i'd almost do this trade, if it were anyother gm than millen it would be a slm dunk. but it is what it is. gotta get a sure thing blue chipper.

DrRay11
04-25-2007, 11:53 PM
gotta get a sure thing blue chipper.

That is funny.

Glenn
04-26-2007, 09:05 AM
At #21 I pick Joe Staley if he's still there. Jarvis Moss (DE - Florida) and Robert Meachem (WR - Tenn) are also possibilities there. I wouldn't mind it.

Everything that I have heard says that there is no way that Staley gets by the Giants at #20, but you never know.

Jethro34
04-26-2007, 03:50 PM
Well, anytime anyone projected in one spot goes higher, that just means someone else fell.

H1Man
04-27-2007, 07:52 PM
Shanahan: Broncos were close to big deal

Mike Shanahan admitted his first wish for the NFL draft was Calvin Johnson.

And for nearly 24 hours in early March, the Broncos coach thought his wish had come true.

It was roughly a week after the NFL combine, which coincided with the start of free agency and the trading period. Shanahan said he had a deal in place for the No. 2 overall draft pick held by the Detroit Lions.

Shanahan didn't divulge his proposal, but an NFL source confirmed the Broncos were willing to surrender their No. 21 overall pick, plus a second and third-round selection from this year's draft, and their first-round pick in 2008.

"We actually had the deal done and the next day they decided they didn't want to do it," Shanahan said today during his predraft news conference at the team's Dove Valley headquarters. "We haven't talked to them since then because we decided we wanted to go in a different direction."
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_5766871

micknugget
04-27-2007, 08:05 PM
So it sounds like Millen backed out. I like the Atl. deal better but lets see what happens.