WTFDetroit.com

View Full Version : Falcons to trade QB Shaub to Houston, Carr out?

Glenn
03-21-2007, 04:21 PM
Falcons agree to deal backup QB Schaub to Houston

By Len Pasquarelli
ESPN.com

ATLANTA -- In a move that figures to have significant ramifications for the incumbent starters from both teams, the Atlanta Falcons on Wednesday agreed in principle to trade three-year veteran quarterback Matt Schaub to the Houston Texans.

When the trade is completed, Atlanta and Houston will flip-flop first-round picks in April's draft, and Atlanta will receive Houston's second-round picks in 2007 and 2008. The deal likely will be completed later Wednesday afternoon. Houston has the No. 8 pick in the first round of the draft, while Atlanta is slotted 10th.

Sources told ESPN.com that the trade is contingent upon the Texans reaching agreement with Schaub on a contract, and negotiations have already begun.

In acquiring Schaub, the Texans have ostensibly conceded that five-year veteran David Carr, the top overall player chosen in the 2002 draft and a quarterback in whom Houston has invested considerable time and money, is no longer their quarterback of the future. At the same time, the departure of Schaub indicates that new Falcons coach Bobby Petrino is sold on Michael Vick, who is said to have made a strong impression on the rookie sideline boss in their first few months working together.

Schaub, 25, has been the subject of trade rumors for each of the past two springs. ESPN.com reported last Friday in its "Tip Sheet" column that Falcons officials seemed prepared to begin listening to trade offers for him and had begun discussing possible replacements.

One of the strong candidates to replace Schaub as the backup to Vick, ESPN.com has learned, is Anthony Wright, who played with the Cincinnati Bengals in 2006.

Despite starting only two games in three seasons and winning neither of them, Schaub is highly regarded around the NFL. The former Virginia standout, a third-round pick by Atlanta in 2004, has completed 84 of 161 passes for 1,033 yards, with six touchdown passes and six interceptions.

Schaub was a restricted free agent this spring and the Falcons made him the highest qualifying offer possible, at $2.3 million. That qualifying offer meant that, had another team signed Schaub to an offer sheet, and Atlanta not matched it, the Falcons would have received first- and third-round draft choices as compensation.

Zip Goshboots
03-21-2007, 06:16 PM
Well, that means Atlanta STILL doesn't have a quarterback.

BubblesTheLion
03-21-2007, 07:20 PM
Atlanta cleaned up.
Matt is worthless and I hope he starts so the rest of the country can finally figure this shit out.

WTFchris
03-22-2007, 08:55 AM
Matt = Scott Mitchell part deux?

Houston is stupid. They gave up two high picks (and swapped picks), for an unproven backup QB? Why not just take Stanton in the second round, keep their picks and fill other needs too?

I think Atlanta is looking to move up in the draft more. They now have pick#8 and an extra second rounder. They need a stud WR badly, would they trade up for Johnson? In the #8 range we can get either Adams, Anderson or Landry. The extra 2nd could be used on a RT (Staley) a MLB (Harris or other) or a QB of the future (Stanton).

Zip Goshboots
03-22-2007, 10:33 AM
Every NFL guy I've heard over the last two years loves Matt Schaub. Atlanta has had people beating at their door to get him.
Yet, according to the WTF, he's a scrub. And Drew Stanton, injury prone and accomplisher of exactly NOTHING at MSU is a "quarterback of the future".

WTFchris
03-22-2007, 10:40 AM
I didn't say he's a scrub. I just said he's unproven and looked good in a few games. There are plenty of GREAT backups that did nothing when given a chance. Mitchell, Riech, Kramer come to mind here. There are also solid backups that do well like Trent Green. No way to know for sure. But, that is a lot to invest in a guy. Would Volek have been cheaper than that?

Zip Goshboots
03-22-2007, 10:51 AM
Who's Volek? Exactly.
Stanton is uproven as hell. I've accomplished as much as he has in the NFL. I hear you on the point of draft picks, alot to give up. But, this is a team that drafted Mario Williams over Reggie Bush.
I think the problem here is systemic, and prevalent in the NFL, and over the last two days Valenti and Foster have talked about it:
NFL teams really don't like, or know what to do with high first round draft choices. Tons of money to invest on unproven college players. So, they think trade first.
Even guys on here have posted to that effect. It's kind of a no brainer. The eighth pick in the first round is probably not going to be a franchise savior type pick, so they move to ten, get a QB thought to be NFL ready, can draft tenth, and they now have Carr to dump for an extra draft pick.

WTFchris
03-22-2007, 11:44 AM
Billy Volek. He was the Titans backup QB that shined when McNair was out all those years. Everyone talked about him the last couple of years too, but SD got him for a 6th round pick. I'm sure they'd take a 4th or 5th rounder for him with Rivers playing well last year, and they could have made the deal with the Titans last year (they already knew Carr wasn't living up to his hype).

Volek's Career: %60 passing, 89 rating
Schaubs Career: %52 passing, 69 rating

Both played well as fill ins, why not get the cheaper one?

Zip Goshboots
03-22-2007, 02:01 PM
Well, it's quite possible that Matt Schaub is more respected by NFL scouts and GM's than Volek.
It probably boils down to this: the Texans have bought into Schaub, they feel they have some other talent, and he has paid some dues and is ready to go.
I will have to agree that the TWO second round picks look a little hefty, but the move from 8 to 10 isn't a big deal at all.
What they need to do is go after O linemen in a hurry, though, because no one will be good behind their O line.

WTFchris
03-22-2007, 02:12 PM
They better grab Levi Brown with their 2nd rounder gone now. They could have used the 2nd rounder on Staley or Blaylock. Oh well. If Schaub works out like Green it will be worth it. But he'll get sacked as much as Carr does with no OL help.

BubblesTheLion
03-23-2007, 11:44 AM
Every NFL guy I've heard over the last two years loves Matt Schaub. Atlanta has had people beating at their door to get him.
Yet, according to the WTF, he's a scrub. And Drew Stanton, injury prone and accomplisher of exactly NOTHING at MSU is a "quarterback of the future".

I AM saying he is a scrub. At his BEST he could be a great backup mentioned above. But he is not a NFL starter.
NFL guys don't know SHIT about SHIT my man. They don't watch people play , they repeat the same crap over and over. In Matt's case. A game 2 years ago against the Patriots (that he lost) --VS A very very injured Patriots secondary---

I watch the Falcons, the only real difference between Matt and the Lions Dano is that Matt makes better decisions. And yes, they've had almost the same playing time to evaluate them on.

The comparison to Scott Mitchell is spot on. Just like Scott Mitchell, Matt always makes the big mistakes. Even played spot duty in a few games JUST to make those mistakes. Talent wise; His arm strength doesn't exist , for a guy his size you expect him to have a cannon arm, but He throws like Chad Pennington.

For Houston though, it does make sense. If Matt is going to pan out somewhere it will be in a System like Greg Knapp ran in Atlanta (Kubiack runs it in Houston). Atlanta is going to an all new offense now and the farther away from that Mooch "ultra conservative" WCO offense garbage the better. If Michael Vick isn't throwing 6 deep passes a game, your gameplan is garbage. Got the rushing game that ATL does that playaction should be going deep not for a 8 yard crossing patterns to set up 5 yard in routes.
ARHHHHHGGGasdfasdfasfdas

Sorry

Zip Goshboots
03-23-2007, 02:05 PM
Rule 1 in Football: Never, EVER trust an "NFL Guy". Those stupid fucks do this for a living. Bill Belichik is probably the dumbest guy in the league.

Rule 2: The best information regarding anything associated with sports comes from "Message Board Expert". Most of these guys are removed from the NFL. They work at "Doggie Don't Dog Poop Scoopers", or "Greener Pastures Lawn Service" and this detachment form the league is their built in advantage.
Why the HELL do you think they are all filthy rich from winning millions in Vegas betting on the games?
And don't give me that "Scouting Report" bullshit, man. They read the INTERNET, and listen to THE INFERNO! They KNOW people who KNOW!

BubblesTheLion
03-23-2007, 03:10 PM
Rule 1 in Football: Never, EVER trust an "NFL Guy". Those stupid fucks do this for a living. Bill Belichik is probably the dumbest guy in the league.
NFL guys drafted Joey Harrington, Cade McCown, Trent Dilfer, Ryan Leaf ,and will Draft Brady Quinn. I stand by my statement they don't know shit. Coaches don't give much opinion on the players of other teams so that's irrelevant, they would never bad mouth anyone outside of rare exceptions "moss? To? PacMan?" The NFL media knows nothing, and parrots everything. The closest thing you have to intelligence in football opinion is a handful of guys on NFL network.

Rule 2: The best information regarding anything associated with sports comes from "Message Board Expert". Most of these guys are removed from the NFL. They work at "Doggie Don't Dog Poop Scoopers", or "Greener Pastures Lawn Service" and this detachment form the league is their built in advantage.
Why the HELL do you think they are all filthy rich from winning millions in Vegas betting on the games?
And don't give me that "Scouting Report" bullshit, man. They read the INTERNET, and listen to THE INFERNO! They KNOW people who KNOW!
I don't read the internet scouting reports, I don't watch the combine, 40 times mean nothing to me, I no longer listen to the inferno, and when I did listen to the inferno , I didn't agree with most of it.
The last thing they were talking about on the Inferno was why drafting Calvin Johnson would be a good idea for the lions. Or why Mike Williams should play. Those guys are morons. (not a knock on CJ, he's awesome)

I'm a Falcons fan, I've watched all the games.
Virginia Tech is my favorite college team. I watched Matt at rival Virginia.
I know the fundamentals of playing QB, I've watched video, read books on coaching, actually picked up and thrown a football. Can teach someone else how to do it. I can break down film from the broadcast footage and that only lets me see 3/4ths of the field. I'm not some 14 year old kid looking at Madden ratings.
I don't have to depend on hype or the opinions of others. I've seen the guy play, and I know what to look for. He doesn't have the arm to be a good starting QB. He doesn't make good decisions. He fits the style of play for Houston; so from a matching talent standpoint it was a good move, but they didn't pick up anything special.

This has nothing to do with Volek (blah) or Stanton.
And I like Drew Stanton! I'd rather chew nails than give a Sparty props. But Stanton is a great prospect. He reminds me a lot of Big Ben before he turned his brain into applesauce.

BubblesTheLion
03-23-2007, 03:16 PM
Oh, and it's impossible for anyone to get sacked as much as David Carr. The problem with that isn't all the offensive line either.

David Carr has Culpepper Syndrome , he refuses to THROW THE BALL.
He locks on Andre Johnson and at the last second hits a checkdown if he doesn't get sacked. (explains his completion percentage)

Zip Goshboots
03-23-2007, 03:24 PM
NFL guy drafted Tom Brady, Joe Montana, Franco Harris, Jim Brown, Barry Sanders, Terry Bradshaw, Johnny Unitas, Walter Payton, Jerry Rice, Fred Biletnikoff, Payton Manning, Edgerrin James, Marshall Faulk, Dick Butkus, Bart Starr, and a few other guys.
That makes them fucking geniuses in my book.
I buy into the more educated contemporary fan. More outlets, more to read, more on TV, hell, maybe you attend practices and games and take notes.
But they KNOW more than you and I, they do it for a living, they are right more often than not, and it is a tough, tough business.
As for Drew Stanton: Now that's just ridiculous. The only people you can be getting good info on him from is NFL guy. He did nothing in college, and was always injured.

BubblesTheLion
03-23-2007, 04:06 PM
you[/b] and I, they do it for a living

I know more about Taxes than people that work for the IRS
I know more about the law than people that work in law offices
I know more about areas of history than history professors.
I know more about areas of econ than econ majors
I know more about politics than some politicians
I know more about media than some reporters.
I know more about the NFL than some NFL people.

Just because you are paid doesn't make you the end all be all of a subject.
No one in the NFL knows everything about every player. IT is IMPOSSIBLE. There is not enough time in a day to Scout every single player. That's why teams employ multiple scouts, who report to a supervisor, GM , coach, etc.
And they make decisions based on what the scouts tell them. And some scouts suck at their job, some GM's suck at their job, some coaches suck at their jobs. BB your patron saint has drafted some crappy players and signed some stupid ass Free Agents.

On the players I've seen, I could act as a scout. And bat a high percentage.
On players I haven't seen, I have to depend on the opinions of others. And that's what a lot of "NFL guys do"

As for Drew Stanton: Now that's just ridiculous. The only people you can be getting good info on him from is NFL guy. He did nothing in college, and was always injured.
Drew Stanton has NFL talent. I don't need anyone to tell me that. It's self evident. That doesn't mean he'll make it in the NFL though. If he has the mind to read NFL defense he will make it. He did fine vs college defense out of a pretty aggressive passing offense.
Who would I be getting good info from on this?
I'm not reading anything, I'm not listening to anyone, I'm not talking to anyone about QB's The last thing I talked about with anyone who worked in the NFL about was Kelly Butler former RT of the Detroit Lions. And all I did was argue about how terrible he was.

Vinny
03-23-2007, 04:11 PM
(Edit: typed b4 Bubbles' above post)

Yeah, but Zip, which of these "NFL guys" have you heard talk about Schaub? Nobody's saying they don't think Bill Belichek's a good judge of personnel, but the assumption has to be that whatever you've heard about Schaub is coming from a talking head, not from the heart of the war-room of an NFL team. In that case, I'll have to agree with Bubbles.

Not that Schaub couldn't end up being alright, but after hearing the talking heads and coaches in interviews, etc, etc, HEAP praise on so many players that turned out to be nothing more than hot air, I'm going to have to remain skeptical on most of what I hear out of the media.

Until I see it with my own eyes, which I haven't the few times I've seen Schaub play, I can't buy into the hype. At the least, I certainly can't think it was a good idea for Houston to give up 2 high second rounders and a $50 million contract to get the guy.

Maybe he's the real deal, I just don't see the arm and honestly think he's living off that comeback game from 2 years ago.

Zip Goshboots
03-23-2007, 05:05 PM
Bubbles:
I think you know more about bullshitting than a farmer.

BubblesTheLion
03-23-2007, 06:47 PM
Bubbles:
I think you know more about bullshitting than a farmer.

I think Chicago misplaced a Bears fan.

Jethro34
03-23-2007, 07:04 PM
Not to break up Bubbles vs. The World (and by the way, I side with Bubbles), but Houston just cut Carr. Translation: if they're wrong about Shaub, they don't have the franchise-gone-wrong to fill in until a more suitable replacement is found. This makes sense though. He waqs too expensive and would likely be too disgruntled as well. Man, that draft was great for QB's, wasn't it?

Black Dynamite
03-24-2007, 11:36 AM
I'll take Carr in Oakland, though he may pass on us in fear of Jamarcus Russell dethroning him next year. Either way his best shot to start is in Oakland and miami. But miami is trading for trent Green. Meaning that He'll probably end up in Oakland since Brad Childress doesnt was him in Minnesota(pretty classless to diss the guy like he did on the radio).

Of course I hear cullpepper is being released by the dolphins as soon and they nab Trent Green. Gives my team some decent options at QB in Oakland.

Black Dynamite
03-24-2007, 11:38 AM
Not to break up Bubbles vs. The World (and by the way, I side with Bubbles), but Houston just cut Carr. Translation: if they're wrong about Shaub, they don't have the franchise-gone-wrong to fill in until a more suitable replacement is found. This makes sense though. He waqs too expensive and would likely be too disgruntled as well. Man, that draft was great for QB's, wasn't it?
yea that paying schaub that unearned big contract immediately spelled doom. Pretty classy for them to cut Carr and give him the choice of where he goes.

DennyMcLain
03-24-2007, 10:19 PM
Funny -- I saw that name, and instantly thought the Texans has dealt for Tony Shalhoub.

http://tonyshalhoub.blogspirit.com/album/images_tony_shalhoub/cover-tony_v6_sm.jpg
Shalhoubs hand hurts after lobbing over 478
yards passing against the Lions to lay them out.
Photo Credit JS