WTFDetroit.com

View Full Version : Marty Schottenheimer Gets Shit Canned, Chargers hire Norv Turner as HC

Black Dynamite
02-13-2007, 02:39 AM
[smilie=llama_banan: [smilie=peepwall.gi: [smilie=heatsmiley2:

Chargers fire Marty Schottenheimer

Associated Press
Posted: 1 hour ago

Marty Schottenheimer performed well enough to go 14-2 last season despite what team president Dean Spanos called a "dysfunctional situation" between the coach and his general manager.

Less than a month after San Diego's NFL-best 14-2 season was wrecked in a playoff loss to New England, the Chargers have fired head coach Marty Schottenheimer. So where does San Diego go from here? Is Schottenheimer done? Weigh in with your thoughts.

The relationship got so bad in the last month that Spanos fired Schottenheimer on Monday night, another shocking development for a team that thought it was Super Bowl-worthy but lost its playoff opener.

Spanos said the exodus of assistant coaches - the two coordinators became NFL head coaches and two assistants became coordinators - contributed to a difficult situation that resulted in the coach being fired. Schottenheimer is due more than $3 million for the final year left on his contract.

While confirming he had no working relationship with general manager A.J. Smith, Schottenheimer seemed puzzled that Spanos made the coach take the fall for his assistants leaving.

"That is absolutely unfair, in my view," Schottenheimer told The Associated Press in a telephone interview. "We had no control over two guys who became head coaches in this league. "We gave two guys an opportunity to be coordinators in this league. We've added a couple of guys that people should be very pleased with. The future coach will be very pleased, as well."

Schottenheimer did praise Spanos, the son of team owner Alex Spanos, for making a difficult decision. "I don't disagree with it," the coach said. "I always put the team first."

Asked if Smith should share the blame, Schottenheimer said: "Uh, I'll leave that judgment to others."

Schottenheimer added: "There is and has been no relationship" with Smith.

Since when?

"How long's he been here?" Schottenheimer said.

Smith was promoted in April 2003 after John Butler died of cancer.

Schottenheimer tightened up the time frame a bit, saying: "In the last couple of years, there has been very little, if any, dialogue."

It's believed that the Smith-Schottenheimer feud stems from personnel moves by the GM, including allowing Drew Brees to leave as a free agent a year ago after the quarterback hurt his shoulder in the 2005 season finale.

"I have no idea," Schottenheimer said. "I've made inquiries about it on a number of occasions and he said, 'I don't want to talk about it."'

Schottenheimer's dismissal came after all other NFL head coaching vacancies were filled.

Dean Spanos, known to be close friends with former Dallas Cowboys coach Jimmy Johnson, and Smith said they plan to move quickly on hiring a replacement. Smith said he had a list of candidates but refused to divulge names.

Every time Schottenheimer's job appeared to be in jeopardy, Pete Carroll's name would pop up. Although Carroll has said he's committed to staying at Southern California, he met with Dolphins owner Wayne Huizenga in early January.

Carroll said then he was not offered the Miami coaching job, and stressed that he has never thought about leaving USC since arriving after the 2000 season.

Spanos said in a statement that he had expected that the core of Schottenheimer's coaching staff would remain intact.

"Events of the last month have now convinced me that it is not possible for our organization to function at a championship level under the current structure," Spanos said in a statement. "On the contrary, and in the plainest possible language, we have a dysfunctional situation here. Today I am resolving that situation once and for all."

Defensive coordinator Wade Phillips was hired as head coach of the Dallas Cowboys on Thursday. Offensive coordinator Cam Cameron was hired as head coach of the Miami Dolphins on Jan. 19.

Tight ends coach Rob Chudzinski became Cleveland's offensive coordinator, and linebackers coach Greg Manusky was hired as San Francisco's defensive coordinator.

Schottenheimer said last week that change was inevitable, but Smith sounded concerned about losing the coordinators, saying, "Both in the same year. Wow."

Although Schottenheimer was given the power to hire and fire assistants, neither Spanos nor Smith provided specifics of what they kept referring to as an "untenable situation."

"We both wanted to win a world championship very badly," Smith said during a conference call. "It's just that my approach might have been a little different than his."

Spanos said disagreements over future staffing was "part of it. It's more the actual working relationship that's been difficult."

Running backs coach Clarence Shelmon, who's never been a coordinator, was promoted to replace Cameron. Shelmon accepted only a one-year contract due to what had been Schottenheimer's lame-duck status.

Three days after the 24-21 playoff loss to New England, Schottenheimer declined the team's offer of a $4.5 million, one-year extension through 2008, which came with a club-option $1 million buyout. Spanos and Smith seemed visibly angry that the coach turned them down.

With a regular-season record of 200-126-1 with Cleveland, Kansas City, Washington and San Diego, Schottenheimer is the most successful coach never to have reached the Super Bowl.

His 5-13 playoff record has taken on a life of its own. The loss to the Patriots was his sixth straight in the postseason dating to 1993, and the ninth time a Schottenheimer-coached team lost its opening playoff game. His teams have failed four times to capitalize on the home-field advantage that comes with owning the AFC's No. 1 seed.

He was 47-33 in five seasons with the Chargers, including 35 wins and two AFC West titles in the last three seasons.

Led by league MVP LaDainian Tomlinson, the Chargers were thought by many to be Super Bowl-caliber. But they had four turnovers and made numerous other mistakes in losing to the Patriots, their first defeat at home in the 2006 season.

Eat a Dick Chargers, I hope you get a worthless replacement. [smilie=peepwall.gi: [smilie=jefffoster.: [smilie=bigshot.gif]

UxKa
02-13-2007, 03:12 AM
They are pretty much fucked now. All their coordinators got taken away and the market is bleak. Shoulda fired him after the playoff loss.

Glenn
02-13-2007, 09:38 AM
I wonder if Jerry Jones would have preferred Marty over Phillips?

I'm sure Gutz doesn't think so, but I bet Al Davis would have talked to Marty too.

DennyMcLain
02-13-2007, 10:30 AM
Stupid fucks. If they had just let Marty go ASAP, they could have kept Cam Cameron, who had been a highly sought-after person for several head coaching vacancies.

I bet Cameron's pretty pissed off right about now. He's got the Dolphins... when he COULD have had LT and Rivers.

Zip Goshboots
02-13-2007, 11:02 AM
This has to rank as one of the ALL Timers in terms of dumb moves. Not that Shittenheister is a great coach, but the timeing.
Maybe they have some inkling that a certain head coach at a certain Southern California university may be ready to head back to the NFL?
You know, a certain head coach who may be in some trouble, and who may have just stocked the cupboard with talent to take away some of the sting of him leaving.

Black Dynamite
02-13-2007, 11:07 AM
I wonder if Jerry Jones would have preferred Marty over Phillips?

I'm sure Gutz doesn't think so, but I bet Al Davis would have talked to Marty too.
Who knows, He always beat the raiders so as long as he isnt in SD, i dont mind what happens with him..

i'm sure alot of teams woulda preferred him. he got screwed over by the Chargers on purpose imo. I wonder how his firing looks to potential candidates looking for a job with stability. fired after a 14-2 season? yikes.

Tahoe
02-13-2007, 11:27 AM
Carroll is in more hot water with the NCAA. It might be time to jump ship for him...or the Chargers already talked to PC about the HC job and thats why they've let MS go. Stay tuned...

Black Dynamite
02-13-2007, 11:31 AM
Pete Carroll Taking the Job would be a mistake. They fired a coach who went 14-2 because he questioned them letting Brees go(That loss of Coordinators shit is just an excuse). That would give me pause as a candidate on how psycho their GM is. Though I'm sure with his damn good drafting skills lions fans would trade millen and martz for him straight up.

Zip Goshboots
02-13-2007, 12:26 PM
One thing is for sure, Gutz: You are right, Shottzy always beat the Raiders, so now that he's gone, we can expect to see the Raiders make a run for the Vince Lombardi Trophy this year (at the earliest).

Glenn
02-13-2007, 02:57 PM
Just heard an interesting fact.

Pete Carroll attended the U. of Pacific.

The U. of Pacific's #1 donor... Alex Spanos (Chargers owner).

Glenn
02-19-2007, 02:59 PM
Norv it is...

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=chargersturner&prov=st&type=lgns

Chargers name Norv Turner coach

February 19, 2007

SAN DIEGO (TICKER) -- Norv Turner was not the choice to succeed Bill Parcells in Dallas. But he is the choice to replace Marty Schottenheimer.

The San Diego Chargers on Monday named Turner as their coach.

Since firing Schottenheimer last Monday, the Chargers interviewed six candidates - Turner, defensive coordinators Ron Rivera, Rex Ryan, Gary Gibbs, Mike Zimmer and linebackers coach Mike Singletary - for the coaching job.

Turner was the only one with offensive expertise and he inherits a team that ranked first in the NFL in scoring with 492 points (30.8 per game). He also has familiarity with the team. Turner was the offensive coordinator of the Chargers in 2001 when LaDainian Tomlinson was a rookie.

Tomlinson set a single-season record with 31 touchdowns and won the rushing title with 1,815 yards this past season as San Diego finished with the NFL's best record at 14-2. However, the the Chargers lost in the divisional playoffs to fourth-seeded New England, 24-21.

Turner was the San Francisco 49ers' offensive coordinator this past season and served as a tutor for quarterback Alex Smith, the No. 1 overall pick in the 2005 draft.

Turner was a finalist for the Cowboys' job after Parcells retired last month, but owner Jerry Jones decided to hire former Chargers defensive coordinator Wade Phillips. Turner was the offensive coordinator under coach Jimmy Johnson when the Cowboys won back-to-back Super Bowls in 1992-93.

The departure of Phillips led to the firing of Schottenheimer, who wanted to hire his younger brother Kurt Schottenheimer to replace Phillips. That did not sit well with Chargers general manager A.J. Smith, who already had a contentious relationship with Marty Schottenheimer.

The Chargers had already lost offensive coordinator Cam Cameron, who left to become coach of the Miami Dolphins in January.

Turner did not have much success in his last coaching job with an AFC West team, compiling a 9-23 record in two seasons with the Oakland Raiders before being fired in January 2006. Included in that record was a 1-11 mark against division opponents.

Turner previously coached the Washington Redskins from 1994-2000, guiding the team to the playoffs in 1999. He compiled a record of 51-62-1 with Washington before getting fired.

I'm guessing that he'll nab Ron Rivera to be his DC.

Black Dynamite
02-19-2007, 03:23 PM
Norv it is...

I'm guessing that he'll nab Ron Rivera to be his DC.
Actually I heard Ted Cottrell is the leading candidate for DC..That guy who was supposed to resurrect the Vikings defense with all those signings, then gets shitcanned with Tice.

Zip Goshboots
02-19-2007, 03:26 PM
Spanos also has the distinction of being the ONLY donor to the U of P.

Glenn
02-19-2007, 03:37 PM
Actually I heard Ted Cottrell is the leading candidate for DC..That guy who was supposed to resurrect the Vikings defense with all those signings, then gets shitcanned with Tice.

You might be right Gutz, I based my opinion on hearing that if Norv got the job in Dallas, they were going to hire Rivera as DC.

Maybe Jones liked Rivera more than Norv did?

Another possibility is that Norv is too insecure to bring in a guy like Rivera that could eventually replace him in SD.

Black Dynamite
02-19-2007, 03:58 PM
You might be right Gutz, I based my opinion on hearing that if Norv got the job in Dallas, they were going to hire Rivera as DC.

Maybe Jones liked Rivera more than Norv did?

Another possibility is that Norv is too insecure to bring in a guy like Rivera that could eventually replace him in SD.
You're thinking about it too deeply. Norv is a puppet, thats why Snyder, Jones, and Davis all hired him beforehand. The defensive coordinator hire will be an AJ Smith decided hire. Remember its AJ Smith who didn't like Marty and took insult to Marty asking about why he let Drew Brees go. The guy doesnt like free minded HC's, and now he's got the HC he wants.

One thing I like about Al Davis is that if a coach impresses him enough(i.e. like a young unknown Gruden did), he'll give him a say. But the coach gotta have the balls to demand it. AJ Smith seems to not like having his coach have an opinion or a say in personnel moves. Draft wise you can't argue against his results, but he may have just screwed his team over because of his ego.

Glenn
02-20-2007, 09:40 AM
Well, they did in fact hire Rivera, but all he got was linebackers coach.

He went from hot young head coaching candidate in Dallas and SD to a demotion.

Strange hire, all the other DC jobs must be locked up.

Black Dynamite
02-20-2007, 09:51 AM
Well, they did in fact hire Rivera, but all he got was linebackers coach.

He went from hot young head coaching candidate in Dallas and SD to a demotion.

Strange hire, all the other DC jobs must be locked up.
The knock that keeps him from getting a HC spot is that he has no 3-4 experience at all. He joined SD to learn more about that scheme and extend his resume. Cotrell better watch his back IMO.

WTFchris
02-20-2007, 11:15 AM
I thought Rivera made a strange move as well, but there were no DC spots left. Chicago didn't want to pay him to leave next year. He'll be a HC somewhere next year I suspect.

Glenn
02-20-2007, 11:20 AM
It's kind of funny how Marty's assistants leaving for HC jobs (Phillips and Cameron) was used against him, when it actually says a lot about the quality of assistants that he hired in the first place.

AJ Smith didn't want Marty picking assistants again, maybe because they might be "too good" and might leave again? Marty always lets his assistants have the opportunity to interview and if hired, leave, if the job is a step up, and while I find that admirable, AJ Smith disagrees apparently.

Smith did not want to grant permission for either Cameron or Phillips to leave. Why would you want to be an assistant in SD knowing this? Unless you're on a 1 year contract, that is.