WTFDetroit.com

View Full Version : Corey Redding - Franchised

WTFchris
02-09-2007, 03:38 PM
http://www.mlive.com/images/spacer.gif

Is Redding a DE or DT? Millions depend on it
The Lions could face an interesting dilemma if they try to put their franchise or transition tag on Cory Redding.

Redding started the first five games at left defensive end, but started the final 11 games at defensive tackle. Redding played so well at tackle that he's already been penciled into that spot for next season. So, it would only make sense that if the Lions slap the franchise tag on him, they'd designate him as a tackle (which would pay him a one-year salary of $6.775 million as a franchise player and $5.554 million as a transition player).

However, if Redding was to be listed as a defensive end, those numbers skyrocket to $8.644 million and $7.701 million, respectively.

It would be foolish for Redding's agent not to fight for his client to be listed as a defensive end. After all, he played all of 2004 and 2005 at end and started 2006 there and, it could be argued, he was only moved inside because of injuries to Shaun Cody and Shaun Rogers.

And, since the Lions aren't likely to pick up a starting quality defensive end by the start of free agency in early March, Redding's agent can argue that the Lions might be forced to move him back to end at some point this year, perhaps even in training camp.

All of this can be avoided, of course, if Redding signs a long-term deal before free agency starts. But that might be difficult because Redding's agent can effectively argue that Redding is worth more than the garden variety defensive tackle because he can play both inside and out.

These negotiations aren't going to be easy; it'll be interesting to see how it all pans out. One thing is certain: Redding will be a Detroit Lion next season. The only question is whether he'll be on a long-term contract or a one-year deal -- and whether he'll be paid as a defensive tackle or defensive end.

BubblesTheLion
02-09-2007, 09:30 PM
Redding is not that good, I don't care how much hype he got last year. He had his James Hall season. And will be average the rest of his career.

b-diddy
02-09-2007, 10:25 PM
looks like a tough situation. but i have all the confidence in the world in matt millen.

Jethro34
02-10-2007, 10:21 AM
Confidence in Matt Millen means he'll be paid like a DE, he'll start the season at DT, he'll only play 5 games before an injury and a suspension, then he'll come back and play the last game of the season - an unlikely victory with Redding at DE getting 2.5 sacks and killing our draft leverage.

Zip Goshboots
02-10-2007, 03:56 PM
I'm thinking that if Redding would just sit on the dock of the bay, watching time roll away, he'll get this thing figured out. But sometimes, it look like nothings gonna change. Everything just might remain the same. I mean, he CAN'T do what ten people tell him So, maybe he'll just remain the same.

Glenn
02-10-2007, 07:11 PM
looks like a tough situation. but i have all the confidence in the world in matt millen.

Exactly right.

Trust in Millen.

When has he ever led you astray?

WTFchris
02-12-2007, 10:09 AM
Redding will remain a DT. they'd be stupid to move him back to DE when he thrived inside. Rogers and Redding could be a force inside. Hopefully they resign him cheaper though. The problem isn't paying Redding, it's that we are paying Kalimba for who knows why. Hopefully he gets a clue because we could have a great DL if Edwards ever produced. I suspect he'll be franchised though.

Zekyl
02-12-2007, 11:13 AM
I think we could have one of the best D-Lines in the league if two things happened:

Rogers buys into Marinelli's system and actually gives more than 50% effort. Hell, even at 75% he fairly dominant.

Edwards works his butt off this offseason. If he could just develop a consistent second move and work on his strength a bit it would be such a drastic improvement. He had a great rookie season because he had one solid move and no one really knew it. Now he's been around long enough for everyone to know that it's his only move, so it's all they defend against.

I think moving Cody from starter to backup will just help solidify our rotation at DT. Now Marinelli has the option of cutting a few of the backups that are known as somewhat lazy like Marcus Bell. I've read in a few places that Marinelli had issues with Bell's attitude and I think this helps give us the depth to dump a guy like that.
We still don't have much depth at DE though. What happened to Bill Swancutt? I know he was a a late round pick that we kept around because he had some potential, but I didn't hear a thing about him last season. Did he have a preseason injury or something? Other than Edwards, Hall and DeVries, I can't think of another DE on our roster. That's not good.

WTFchris
02-12-2007, 11:18 AM
Haven't heard anything on Bill either. We had that free agent that outplayed Edwards at the end of last year, Corey Smith, but he's really a backup like DeVries. Tyoka Jackson isn't great either. We either need Edwards to become an every down player (won't happen), or we need to draft a DE (Bazuin please) in the 3rd round maybe.

Zekyl
02-12-2007, 02:45 PM
I'd be happy taking a solid developing prospect in the 2nd or 3rd round and letting him start the season as Edwards competition. I was about to type "maybe he needs a little competition" but then remembered that Redding beat him out last year and it didn't change much.

WTFchris
02-12-2007, 02:51 PM
The problem is that unless we trade down (and pick up extra picks), we can't really spend a 2nd rounder on a DE, and maybe not a 3rd. RT, LG, MLB are the top 3 needs. CB and DE are close, but might not be addressed in the first few rounds.

Zekyl
02-12-2007, 08:05 PM
I'd rather see us take Thomas and a guard in the second round than a DE, but if there isn't a solid guard available then a DE is an option.

wigglesrewind
02-13-2007, 05:16 PM
yeah, swancutt was put on IR towards the end of preseason. he had some nagging injury and im assuming rod wanted the roster spot for another position. apparently marinelli loves swancutt's ability though. i would like to see him get some playing time this year.

DrRay11
02-21-2007, 06:03 PM
According to ESPN/John Clayton, Redding wants to be traded anyhow.

b-diddy
02-21-2007, 06:32 PM
well, atleast we know he has a good head on his shoulders. smart man.

H1Man
02-21-2007, 11:47 PM
Lions DT Redding receives franchise tag

he Detroit Lions put the franchise tag on defensive tackle Cory Redding, team president Matt Millen said Wednesday in Indianapolis at the NFL's scouting combine.

The move prevents Redding from becoming an unrestricted free agent next month.

Redding emerged as a dominant player for the Lions last year when defensive tackle Shaun Rogers was out of the lineup. Redding had 37 tackles, including eight sacks, in his fourth season with the team after being drafted in 2003.

Zekyl
02-21-2007, 11:54 PM
Redding is now officially going to become a bad seed or an underachiever.

DrRay11
02-22-2007, 08:14 AM
^^I'll take the latt.. nah, the forme... nevermind. Both.