WTFDetroit.com

View Full Version : Lions Re-Sign Mike Furrey, Curtis next WR?

H1Man
01-24-2007, 11:43 AM
Furrey agrees to three-year deal with Lions

Mike Furrey will be back with the Detroit Lions next season.

The wide receiver agreed to terms on a three-year deal with the Lions on Wednesday.

Furrey, scheduled to be an unrestricted free agent, had 11 catches in the season finale Sunday to finish with 98, the most ever by a non-rookie following a season when he had no catches.

Furrey's 10-yard reception in the third quarter of the Lions' 39-31 victory over the Dallas Cowboys was his sixth of the game, giving him the record that he extended. Furrey is a fourth-year player who started 11 games as a defensive back for St. Louis last season.

Lionel Taylor had 92 catches for Denver in the AFL in 1960, the previous mark for the most catches by a non-rookie following a season with none. Anquan Boldin of the Cardinals had 101 catches as a rookie in 2003, the most catches by any player with none the previous season.

Furrey finished with 1,086 yards and six touchdowns. Furrey and Roy Williams (1,310 yards) were the first Lions duo to both have 1,000 yards receiving in the same season since Germane Crowell and Johnnie Morton in 1999.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2740972

WTFchris
01-24-2007, 11:45 AM
good. he's hard working and makes plays. i must admit I hated the signing when we first got him, but my expectations were based on him being a safety before coming here and also the past failures of Az and Bill.

Tahoe
01-24-2007, 12:40 PM
Furrey is to the Lions as Chrebet was to the Jets. He really does give 100% every play. There should always be a roster spot for a guy like this, especially when cause we suck so bad.

Zekyl
01-24-2007, 12:41 PM
Finally, the Lions made a smart move and resigned a guy that's hard working and fits Marinelli's style, hard work and no complaining.

Hermy
01-24-2007, 12:43 PM
The lions are idiots and waited too long to sign him. Now it's all on this years cap. I hate them.

WTFchris
01-25-2007, 12:11 PM
Curtis could be good here. If only we didn't waste that pick on Mike and had Jammal Brown here instead. Lol @ Millen.

After signing 3-year contract, Furrey wants Curtis to join Lions

Thursday, January 25, 2007By Tom Kowalski

ALLEN PARK -- Now that Detroit Lions wide receiver Mike Furrey is back on board with the team, he's looking forward to another year with offensive coordinator Mike Martz and anticipating a reunion with an old friend.
Furrey, who led the Lions with 98 catches (for 1,086 yards and six touchdowns) last season, signed a three-year contract on Wednesday.
Furrey signed with the Lions as a free agent last year and was originally put in the slot receiving position but was moved to the No. 2 spot for most of the season. Furrey, who already knew Martz's offense (he was in St. Louis when Martz was the Rams head coach), was the Lions most consistent and reliable receiver.
"It's great, for a lot of reasons," said Lions head coach Rod Marinelli about Furrey's new contract. "He's a good player, but there's another dimension to it: work habits, character and he makes plays when it counts. He's the whole package you're looking for.
"I want to reward those types of guys, I want them to be here."
Furrey knows his role with the team will change this season and he'll spend more time in the slot, but he's fine with that, especially if another former St. Louis Rams receiver decides to sign in Detroit as an unrestricted free agent.
"Kevin Curtis is a very good friend of mine and I've talked to him quite a bit," Furrey said. "This offense needs three impact receivers. I expect to contribute on the outside. I'd love to go inside and do everything I did last year."
Curtis would be a better fit at the No. 2 spot for the Lions because he has better downfield speed than Furrey.
"He's looking to go somewhere and contribute and not be a 20- or 30-catch guy. I know he loves this offense," said Furrey, adding that he believes Martz will be back with the Lions next season.
Martz had an interview with the Miami Dolphins recently for their head coaching position and his name is now being mentioned for the vacant head coaching job with the Dallas Cowboys.
"We've talked the last couple of days because he (Martz) wanted to know if (the contract) was done. He said he's coming back to Detroit," Furrey said. "What he's told me, he's coming back to Detroit."
Marinelli, though, said it's still possible Martz might head to Dallas.
"He loves it here, I know that. He loves what he does. This thing (Cowboys job) just popped open and there will always be inquires about him. He's got to listen," Marinelli said. "We'll wait and see how it all rolls out."
If Martz stays in Detroit, he's made it pretty clear that he doesn't want the Lions to select a quarterback with the second overall pick in the April draft. Martz believes veteran Jon Kitna is the best person for the job.
There are a couple of quarterbacks -- JaMarcus Russell of LSU and Brady Quinn of Notre Dame -- who could be worthy of the second overall choice, but Furrey sees it the same way as his coach.
"I have the same feelings that Martz does," Furrey said. "If we bring in a quarterback right now, we'll be taking a step back. What Kitna has done -- and he'll eliminate what he wants to eliminate (turnovers) -- he'll come back with a greater understanding of this offense, how the defense wants to play us and where the ball is supposed to go. You cannot trade that experience in for somebody who hasn't been in the league before. I cannot see that happening."