WTFDetroit.com

View Full Version : the Mike Martz one year OC Thread.

Black Dynamite
01-10-2007, 08:37 PM
Thats what it looks like might happen.

Raiders might talk to Martz

David White, Chronicle Staff Writer

Wednesday, January 10, 2007

All was quiet at Raiders headquarters Tuesday as team officials (namely, Al Davis) plotted the next step in the search for their eighth head coach in 13 years.

Davis interviewed USC assistant Steve Sarkisian on Monday and wants to interview at least two more candidates to replace Art Shell, who was fired Thursday after going 2-14 in his first season back with the Raiders.

No arrangements had been finalized to bring in the next candidate, according to several team sources. The Raiders as an organization do not openly discuss job searches.

One candidate to watch for is former St. Louis Rams coach Mike Martz, who is interviewing for the Miami Dolphins' head-coaching vacancy today. According to a league source close to Martz, he would be "very interested" in interviewing with the Raiders for the second time in two years.

A Raiders official, speaking on the condition of anonymity, confirmed that Martz is believed to be on Davis' short list of candidates. As of Tuesday, the Raiders had not contacted Martz for an interview.

Former Giants coach Jim Fassel and Raiders defensive coordinator Rob Ryan also are considered candidates. Former Arizona Cardinals coach Dennis Green and San Diego Chargers assistant James Lofton also could get sit-down interviews with Davis before the process is over.

Martz, who coached the Rams from 2000 through '05, is the sort of offensive mastermind some within the organization believe the Raiders desperately need after they ranked last in the NFL in offense and scoring.

With the Rams, he engineered a high-flying offense dubbed the "Greatest Show on Turf." Hired as their offensive coordinator in 1999, he took an offense that was 27th in the NFL in 1998 and turned it unto the No. 1 offense in the NFL the next season, culminating in a Super Bowl victory.

Their 526 points scored was fourth-best in NFL history. Promoted to head coach one year later, Martz's Rams became the first NFL team to score at least 500 points in three straight seasons.

The Raiders, in stark contrast, scored 169 points with 12 offensive touchdowns this past season. That's the fewest points scored in franchise history (including the 1982 strike-shortened season) and the fifth-fewest points since the advent of the 16-game schedule in 1978 (excluding the strike season).

The Rams fired Martz after the 2005 season after he missed most the season with a heart ailment. Hired to run the Detroit Lions' offense, Martz took a passing offense that was 27th in the NFL in 2005 and churned out the No. 7 passing game in the league in 2006.

Unlike in St. Louis, it did not result in a magical turnaround. The Lions finished with a 3-13 record, second-worst to the Raiders.

Given his track record, Martz likely would demand more say in running the team than the previous three coaches enjoyed, something more along the lines of the authority granted to Jon Gruden to make some personnel decisions during his coaching stay from 1998 through 2001.

E-mail David White at dwhite@sfchronicle.com.

Page D - 5
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/01/10/SPG8QNG4EG1.DTL

i doubt we hire him because of the last paragraph. But it seems his stay in detroit may be brief.

Jethro34
01-10-2007, 10:20 PM
Side note - Joey Harrington crapped himself when he heard Martz might be the new Dolphins coach.

Zekyl
01-10-2007, 10:31 PM
7th ranked passing offense................because he completely ignored the RUSHING offense.

MikeMyers
01-10-2007, 11:03 PM
We had a pretty good offense this year considering we didn't have OL and a RB.

Zip Goshboots
01-10-2007, 11:53 PM
Did anyone think Martz was gonna hang around long enough to let his coffee get cold?
Dude was a head coach, and he thinks he's the next best thing since the pocket pussy. No way is he going to be an underling for very long, the Lions had enough trouble sealing the deal with him in the first place. Eventually, he'll be a cancer (as if a cancer in the Detroit Lions could cause any more harm, I know).
See ya, Mike!

WTFchris
01-11-2007, 09:19 AM
Maybe the next guy will actually use Mike Williams instead of trying to turn him into Az Hakim.

Zekyl
01-11-2007, 10:28 AM
Just remember, Martz has to actually GET one of these head coaching jobs first. If he does get one of the coaching gigs, I hope he gets the job in Oakland and convinces them to draft Brady Quinn. First, we wouldn't have to worry about Millen drafting Quinn. Second, we'd have our choice between Russell and Thomas. Third, we could bring in an O. Coordinator that likes to pound the ball wih the run.

WTFchris
01-11-2007, 10:37 AM
Just remember, Martz has to actually GET one of these head coaching jobs first. If he does get one of the coaching gigs, I hope he gets the job in Oakland and convinces them to draft Brady Quinn. First, we wouldn't have to worry about Millen drafting Quinn. Second, we'd have our choice between Russell and Thomas. Third, we could bring in an O. Coordinator that likes to pound the ball wih the run.

interesting point. IF Martz goes to Oakland, would he really take Russell? We all know he doesn't like BMW because he doesn't fit Martz's ideal WR type. Clearly Quinn is more Martz's style. But then I'm not sure we wouldn't pass on Russell anyway knowing Millen.

Glenn
01-11-2007, 12:01 PM
Martz in Oakland would be awesome.

Martz and Al Davis together? A total disaster waiting to happen.

Black Dynamite
01-11-2007, 02:34 PM
Martz in Oakland would be awesome.

Martz and Al Davis together? A total disaster waiting to happen.
wont happen unless Martz is willing to give up his say on who we sign. And it wont be Quinn. if the raider draft a qb, it'll be russell. But we probably wont.

Also if Martz did agree to the job under Davis' circumstances, then i'd welcome it and it would be far from disaster. In fact we'd know what to expect on offense and unlike the Pussycats we'd have a defense to back it up.[smilie=bigshot.gif]

Glenn
01-11-2007, 02:35 PM
But Art Shell was going to be COTY too, right?

Black Dynamite
01-11-2007, 02:39 PM
But Art Shell was going to be COTY too, right?
nope, if i said something that stupid you have something to stand own. Unfortunately you have to make up exaggerated statements to come close to firing back. :)

http://menacingmorons.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/owned.jpg

Glenn
01-11-2007, 02:45 PM
I was exaggerating, you're right.

Just busting your balls a bit.

But you were mighty confident that he'd get the job done weren't you?

Black Dynamite
01-11-2007, 02:48 PM
I was exaggerating, you're right.

Just busting your balls a bit.

But you were mighty confident that he'd get the job done weren't you?
Indeed i expected him to bring discipline, but had no expectation of the OC, which end being a pretty bad one. Worse choice he made and the one that ended his job before it started.