WTFDetroit.com

View Full Version : Simeon Rice to Detroit?

D's Nuts
01-08-2007, 10:37 PM
Ok, dont blast me for not having a link but I heard on the radio today that Simeon Rice is interested in being traded to Detroit. He wants to reunite with Marinelli and dominate in the NFC North. Speculation is that we would trade TB one of our plethora of WRs.

So, does Mike Williams for Rice work? If so, would you do it? Rice has 1 more year left on a deal supposedly and more than likely would sign an extension.

What does everyone think?

Zekyl
01-08-2007, 10:41 PM
I heard they were going to cut him at the end of the year. I'd much rather see them cut him and us sign him than trade for him. We don't really have a plethora of recievers. We had a really thin recieving crew last year and the only guy I could see them talking about is Mike Williams. We're not going to trade Roy and Furrey isn't even under contract. I'd rather see us give Mike one more year to see if he can straighten it out, and if not trade him in the preseason or during the season.

b-diddy
01-08-2007, 11:34 PM
how old is rice? if he's not too old, i'd go mike williams and a first day draft pick (depending on age). but then again, trades in the nfl are a complete mistery to me.

WTFchris
01-09-2007, 09:20 AM
I wouldn't trade anything for him because they will cut him anyway.

Rice make 7.5 mil a year I think, but he only has a year left on his deal, so that is fine. He's 35 if i remember correctly. Last year he was hurt and had a bad year, but he had 11.5 sacks a year prior to that I think.

I would be in favor of him for sure, especially since he knows the system and would be a good tudor to Kalimba (maybe he can turn the light on for him).

No way I trade much for him though. Supposedly Rogers is only worth a 3rd or 4th rounder, so Rice would be worth a lot less at his age.

Jethro34
01-09-2007, 09:16 PM
I would take him, but I would also draft a DE in the 2nd round because of Rice's age. Work in the young guy on certain down situations and have him learn from Hall and Rice, which would be a great pass-rushing tandem but they're injured often enough that this young guy would get a number of reps.

If they're going to cut him anyhow, maybe they would take Kalimba for him.

Zekyl
01-09-2007, 09:23 PM
If they cut him, we could pay him MUCH less than $7mill and we could sign him to a deal for a couple years. At his age I wouldn't want to give him more than a 2 year deal, 3 pushing it. Then if he shows after that deal that he can still play up to his usual level, we can sign him to another short deal. Plus we'd have a few years with Kalimba as the young guy to learn from him and get some snaps to see if he can develop.

Jethro34
01-09-2007, 09:32 PM
Develop? He's been in the league 5 years, played in 71 games, and had 22 sacks. It's not like we're talking about a 2nd year guy here.

Zekyl
01-09-2007, 09:47 PM
If he works hard to get a second move he could become a solid backup, if not more.

WTFchris
01-10-2007, 09:31 AM
I agree with Zekyl. My money is on Kalimba being a bust, but IF he could learn some real moves he could be a good pass rusher (but never a complete DE). I still can't believe we resigned him.

Zekyl
01-10-2007, 11:18 AM
I didn't mind resigning him, but we gave him WAY more than he was worth. What did he get, $8mill?