WTFDetroit.com

View Full Version : Lions Trade Rumor: #2 Overall and Dre Bly for Clinton Portis and #6 Overall

H1Man
01-04-2007, 11:04 PM
Dre Bly, #2 Overall Pick and a 3rd Round Pick for Clinton Portis, #6 Overall and a 6th Round Pick.

FillyCheezeSteak
01-04-2007, 11:06 PM
source? Or is this just an idea?

b-diddy
01-04-2007, 11:20 PM
bs. no way we're even thinking in those terms this far away from the draft. if millen were to trade the #2 at anytime other than draft day, every person in the metro detroit area should be allowed to kick him in the balls once, and twice if they actually like the lions.

UxKa
01-04-2007, 11:24 PM
If its from source, it could be a sign that Jones isnt going to be back by game time. I told you guys that I had a similar injury to my foot three years ago and I cant even play bball on a playground level anymore. I hope thats not the case for Jones, but this could be an indication of such a thing. I think it still sucks because that probably takes them out of the Joe Thomas hunt, and OLine should be a priority for you guys.

Zekyl
01-05-2007, 02:36 AM
This trade shouldn't even be made on draft day. I like the idea of signing a vet RB is great, but I wouldn't trade for a Pro Bowl guy like Clinton Portis unless we were planning on getting rid of one of them when they get back. Having two complimentary backs on the roster is one thing, but having two similar guys that are both workhorse backs would be a waste, plus then who do we have at the corners? Unless they're getting a star corner somewhere, this is a stupid trade.

Jethro34
01-05-2007, 06:51 AM
Like everyone else, I need to know if this is actually a rumor, if so from where, or if it is just one persons idea. Until I know that I (and seemingly most others) don't want to waste time breaking it down.

WTFchris
01-05-2007, 08:30 AM
why would we trade for a feature RB and not move KJ? No way.

micknugget
01-05-2007, 10:22 AM
It would also be ironic that Washington would give up Portis for Bly when they gave up maybe the best db in the league in Champ Baily to get Portis in the first place. There are the exchange of picks but its stil weird.

H1Man
01-05-2007, 09:46 PM
I actually got this off of NFL DC forums. Apparently some dude mentioned this on a radio station.

Here is the link to the original thread I got this from: http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=32618&start=25&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

Zip Goshboots
01-05-2007, 09:48 PM
Isn't Clinton Portis injured more than Charles Rogers collarbone?

Baker
01-06-2007, 01:32 AM
Fuck the Lions.

I'd take Adrian Peterson over Portis straight up.

Moodini31
01-06-2007, 11:29 AM
This is not going to happen. But I also thought that Charles Rogers and Mike Williams would see the playing field. Who knows with this failure of a franchise.

I agree with Tre, I'd much rather have AD than Portis. But I really think we need to go O-line.

detroitsportscity
01-06-2007, 11:53 AM
Fuck the Lions.

I'd take Adrian Peterson over Portis straight up.

Yeah but Dre <<<<<<<<<< #6 and a 6th.

Portis and Gaines Adams, or Justin Blaylock, or Alan Branch >> Dre and AD

WTFchris
01-08-2007, 09:44 AM
Yeah but Dre <<<<<<<<<< #6 and a 6th.

Portis and Gaines Adams, or Justin Blaylock, or Alan Branch >> Dre and AD

You are forgetting the 3rd rounder in there too though.

Will they take Kalimba for Portis since we could have drafted Portis instead? I can dream, right?

Glenn
02-14-2007, 04:20 PM
With Dre's trade request, I wonder if this rumor still has any legs?

WTFchris
02-14-2007, 04:57 PM
I'd rather have extra picks than Portis back. I think KJ will be fine and Portis dosn't catch the ball if I remember correctly, which you need in our offense. He also averages 1.5 yards less per carry since being out of Denver, and that is for the last 3 years.

Wilfredo Ledezma
02-14-2007, 05:17 PM
I heard awhile ago that we were looking at swapping Shaun Rogers to WAS for Portis, WAS really can afford to let Portis go, hes injury-prone and they have a great backup in Ladell Betts, not to mention since their defense is so awful, Shaun Rogers would be a nice fit there. We do need a RB but I wouldnt trade the #2 overall pick for Portis. Maybe a 2nd or 3rd rounder + Dre' Bly...

Zekyl
02-14-2007, 06:01 PM
Dre + 2nd rounder to them for Portis + 2nd rounder would be a pretty good deal, except I don't think we're going to need Portis that badly. Jones is on pace to be back in time and once he's back to full strength, how do you balance Portis and Jones? You know neither of them would be happy in that situation. What we need is a solid backup that can carry the load for a few games but isn't quite a starter. That way he'd be able to go back to being a solid backup when Jones gets back.

WTFchris
02-15-2007, 09:40 AM
I'd trade them Rogers and Bly for their first, but they wouldn't. Heck, throw in Mike Williams too, they could use a WR.

Zekyl
02-15-2007, 11:37 AM
I wouldn't trade them Rogers and Bly straight up for their first. Rogers could pull at least a first round pick my himself. Maybe for a first and second, or a first and another player.

WTFchris
02-15-2007, 12:39 PM
I wouldn't trade them Rogers and Bly straight up for their first. Rogers could pull at least a first round pick my himself. Maybe for a first and second, or a first and another player.

Rogers would not pull a first round pick. There was talk last year about him being traded and the most people thought was a 2nd rounder. Bly could fetch a 3rd-4th rounder.

Why would they trade a first for Rogers and not draft Branch instead?

Zekyl
02-16-2007, 12:09 AM
I was thinking mid-, more likely late-first, DEFINITELY not an early first. Branch will be long gone by then.

WTFchris
02-16-2007, 09:42 AM
The problem is that any team picking late first is likely a playoff team close to winning it all. Would they risk their first on a possible team cancer who is injured now and then? Or would you take the second best DT in the draft instead? That's a tough call. You know you're getting a pro-bowl talent in Rogers, but with baggage. You could draft a good DT, but you could also get a bust. It would be similar to trading your first rounder for TO when you could draft a WR. Big risk, big reward potential.

Zekyl
02-16-2007, 11:19 AM
Now if I'm someone like the Bengals, I do NOT trade my pick for Rogers, but if I'm a team that tends to take in guys with some problems and handles them well, like the Patriots, I'd consider taking a chance on it. Then again, Millen is our GM and all the other GM's know that. We'll probably get a 5th rounder that bumps to a 4th based on playing time.

WTFchris
03-05-2007, 01:16 PM
Apparently Bly is pissed we didn't do that rumor...

Report: Bly wanted to be dealt to 'Skins, not Broncos

ESPN.com news services

The Broncos' newest cornerback might not be happy with his new surroundings.
The Washington Post, citing several NFL sources, including some who have spoken with Dre' Bly (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?statsId=4690), reported Monday that Bly was upset at being traded by the Lions to Denver and wanted to go to Washington, instead.
The Redskins also were trying to trade for Bly, the newspaper reported, but couldn't match Denver's offer of two players and a draft pick.
According to The Post, once Bly was dealt to Denver, Washington tried to negotiate a trade with the Broncos, offering cornerback Shawn Springs (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?statsId=3952), but the teams couldn't work out a deal when Denver couldn't give Washington salary cap help.
Citing unnamed players, The Post reported that Bly is miffed at being in Denver because the Broncos are unwilling to extend his contract, which has one year and $4.2 million remaining.
The Redskins, however, reportedly were willing to give Bly a lucrative new extension, The Post reported. And playing with the Redskins would allow Bly, who is from Chesapeake, Va., to play close to home.
Bly, 29, is considered one of the game's best big-play cornerbacks. In eight seasons he has intercepted 31 passes, forced 17 fumbles, and scored eight touchdowns (five interception returns, two fumble returns, one punt return). Last season, Bly tied for the Lions' team lead with three interceptions and led Detroit with 18 passes defended and four forced fumbles.

DrRay11
03-05-2007, 03:22 PM
Still being a bitch... No surprise.

Glenn
04-25-2007, 11:47 AM
I heard a radio rumor that the Redskins are trying to get the Lions to take Shawn Springs and the #6 pick for #2.

WTFchris
04-25-2007, 02:40 PM
Haven't watched the Skins much, how is Springs performing? If he's going to be solid, I'd do it. We need a CB.

micknugget
04-25-2007, 02:57 PM
Springs is older (31 or 32) and was rumored earlier to possibly be cut from the team. It would be a complete joke if we took that deal. The more I see things about Johnson, the more I want to stay at #2 and take him.

WTFchris
04-25-2007, 03:52 PM
That's what my first reaction about Springs was too (that he was getting washed up). If he was that good they wouldn't have drafted Rogers.