WTFDetroit.com

View Full Version : Jay Clemons to Matt Millen: "Fix This Mess!"

MOLA1
12-16-2006, 02:51 AM
http://images.clickability.com/partners/3002/mainLogo.gif (http://www.si.com/)

http://images.clickability.com/pti/spacer.gif
Fix this mess!

GM Millen must stay with Lions, ignore calls to resign

Posted: Friday December 15, 2006 12:56PM;
Updated: Friday December 15, 2006 9:16PM

http://i.cnn.net/si/images/1.gifhttp://i.a.cnn.net/si/2006/writers/jay_clemons/12/14/millen.lions/T1_1214_millen.jpg
Color commentators can learn a hard lesson from Matt Millen:
Making cogent points on TV does not mean you can run an NFL franchise.
Bill Frakes/SI

http://i.cnn.net/si/images/1.gif
Stand tall, speak up and come out swinging ... or leave!
As a Michigan native, this is my unsolicited advice for Detroit Lions President and CEO Matt Millen, who is justifiably under fire this week because of an NFL-worst 2-11 record(tied with the Raiders) and a wretched mark of 23-70 since he took office in January 2001. Even worse, the Lions' brass -- including the ownership -- has done a deplorable job of publicly articulating their vision through the media (deferring comments to head coach Rod Marinelli, whose colorless persona makes Eagles head coach Andy Reid seem like Hunter S. Thompson). And then there's the damning quote from The Boston Globe on Dec. 2:
"[Millen's] got the worst record in history from a general manager and he'll have that record forever," an AFC executive told the paper. "No one else will ever get to have double-digit losses for six straight years. I've been in the league for over 20 years, and I've never heard of a team going 23-68 without making a change in management. The only thing he's accomplished since he got to Detroit is surviving. Don't ask me how he's done it."
Let's be clear here: If Millen plans to continue his passive-aggressive reign leading a franchise that has earned just one playoff victory since 1957, he should leave quietly at season's end. But if he has yet another bold plan for reviving the franchise, then how about calling an all-points-bulletin press conference today, orating the following message?

I would like to apologize for the current state of the Detroit Lions. I want to apologize for the fact that -- in my six-year tenure as CEO and president -- our original mission of division titles and Super Bowl berths has never been realized. I'm also sorry to say the on-field product has regressed during this time.

Much has been made of the Lions' record during my regime; and there's really no defending it -- so I'm not going to even try. But the way I figure it, I have two choices: I could either step down from my duties and walk away ... OR I could step to the plate and ask Lions fans everywhere to give me another shot at rectifying my mess. I am genuinely seeking one more chance to prove my mettle as a smart, focused, determined and, yes, accountable! caretaker to this storied franchise. Sure, I've made an unacceptable number of mistakes with personnel in my time here. But I stand before you a humbled, yet proud man who refuses to quit on this team or its ownership.

From this day forward, I am going to be accessible to the media -- in terms of explaining my vision for the short-term and long-term. From this moment on, I will subject myself to a 'no-margin-for-error' creed with the fans. OK, so I don't always like dealing with media issues -- many of you know me to be a private man. But I have an awesome responsibility here, and I am going to fight my way out of this hole and put the Detroit Lions on the map as one of the NFL's elite franchises. And if I should ever distance myself from the problems that can devastate an organization's growth ... well, then you'll have every right to demand my resignation. And guess what? You'll probably have it. But right here, right now, I refuse to leave this team in such a bewildered state.

In a perfect world, Millen would throw himself to the mercy of the Court of Public Opinion, instead of meekly waiting out the end of his presidency. In a perfect world, Millen -- who I've spoken with a few times as an actual Lions employee (2004-05) -- would realize that emulating Butch Davis' final days in Cleveland as an imperialistic, inflexible and oblivious leader is not a sound career move.

The Proof's In The Pudding

Now, I could detail some of Millen's most notable errors from previous drafts -- like passing on Clinton Portis, Deuce McAllister, Dwight Freeney, Andre Johnson, Brian Westbrook, Terrell Suggs, Ed Reed, Troy Polamalu, Lance Briggs, Chris Cooley, Matt Schaub, DeMarcus Ware, Shawne Merriman, Jay Cutler or Matt Leinart. But to be fair, every franchise missed out on some or all of these probable superstars at some point. Instead, here's a timeline of his tangible highlights -- both bad and good.

The Misses

•You know when an NBA expansion team hires an unproven commodity as head coach, knowing that he'll probably fail amid such dire circumstances? Well, meet Marty Mornhinweg, who went 5-27 in two years with Detroit. Hiring Mornhinweg was not really a problem; the true error occurred when Millen opted not to interview any other candidates extensively for the coveted position. (At the time, NFL assistants Marvin Lewis, John Fox and Lovie Smith were "hot" candidates for head-coaching gigs.)

• Doling out big monies for WRs Az-Zahir Hakim and Bill Schroeder as the No. 1 and No. 3 receiving options, respectively. Ouch!
•Taking (and keeping) DE Kalimba Edwards at No. 36. After signing Edwards to a fat extension last winter, the Lions are still waiting for his second sack this season.

http://i.cnn.net/si/images/1.gif
http://i.cnn.net/si/images/1.gifhttp://i.a.cnn.net/si/2006/writers/jay_clemons/12/14/millen.lions/T1_1214_mariucci.jpg
Steve Mariucci led San Francisco to the playoffs four times in six years.
But in Detroit, he could only muster a 15-28 record in 2-plus seasons.
Bob Rosato/SI

•Drafting WR Charles Rogers at No. 2 overall. The Michigan State product showed plenty of promise before breaking his collarbone in back-to-back seasons. He was cut by the Lions earlier this season and does not belong on an active NFL roster.

•Drafting WR Mike Williams at No. 10 overall. I know one noted NFL draft guru pegged this wunderkind as that class's top prospect. So, technically, the Lions got good value at the 10 spot. But he was the club's third straight receiver taken in the first round; and after nearly two full seasons of pro ball, he may already qualify for "bust" status.

•Not keeping QB Joey Harrington. And wouldn't you know it? Harrington torched his old team for 219 passing yards and three touchdowns in the Dolphins' Turkey Day rout in Detroit.

The Hits
•With three picks in the top 61 (18, 50 and 61), Millen smartly took interior players as part of his initial roster overhaul: T Jeff Backus, C Dominic Raiola and enigmatic DT Shaun Rogers. The troika may not be the best players at their positions, but they also represent good-to-solid choices.

•Here's where perspective comes in handy: In Rounds 3, 5 and 6, Millen drafted DE Cory Redding, S Terrence Holt and WR David Kircus (now playing with Denver). None of these men are household names. But each is arguably among the top-5 of their respective round. In other words, Millen and the Lions at least found the best performers of a mediocre lot.
•Hiring Steve Mariucci as head coach. There was no doubting Mariucci's track record at San Francisco (1997-2002), where he flourished despite not one -- but two -- roster reconstructions from the cap-strapped 49ers. It's not entirely Millen's fault that Mariucci didn't win more than six games per season in Detroit.

•Draft Day '04 stands as the high-water mark of Millen's tenure. Holding the No. 6 overall pick (and fully intending to take WR Roy Williams of Texas), Millen somehow convinced the Browns (who held the No. 7 overall pick) that Detroit was going to take talented TE Kellen Winslow, Jr. In a state of panic, Cleveland then agreed to swap spots with Detroit -- while throwing in a high second-round choice. And after taking Williams at 7, the Lions used that extra pick to move up late in the first round to grab RB Kevin Jones.
Jones (who sustained a major injury last week) and Williams are easily the Lions' two signature pieces; and the shrewd Millen (two words not often seen together) acquired both men in a four-hour span!
Finally, I wanted to credit Millen for some major free-agent signings. But in six years, CB Dre Bly and QB Jon Kitna represent the best of a mediocre group. Bly has made two Pro Bowls and, yes, he does garner his share of interceptions. But still, in the land of No. 1 cornerbacks per team, he would probably rank in the bottom-third of this category. Kitna has been a serviceable stopgap solution at quarterback, even though he's thrown at least one interception in 11 straight games. But through 13 games, he has passed for nearly 3,500 yards and 14 TDs. And should the Lions draft a QB in Round 1 come April, Kitna will likely reprise his role as Stud Mentor (see Cincinnati's Carson Palmer from 2002-05).

It's Not Too Late

I don't know if Millen is a movie buff. But in the 1993 comedy, Dave, Kevin Kline plays the affable Dave Kovic, who happens to be the spitting image of prickly U.S. president Bill Mitchell. And when Mitchell suffers a life-crippling stroke, Kovic is thrust into the commander-in-chief role -- without the general public's consent -- and amazingly alters "Mitchell's" public perception and track record.

I doubt Millen has a doppelganger plan in the works, but he still needs to follow Kovic's cue and dutifully reshape his legacy on the fly. For starters, he should diffuse the "Fire Millen" chants that purvey Ford Field on Sunday afternoons with some playful humor at his expense. Then, he should emerge from his modest office at the Lions' headquarters in Allen Park, Mich., and deal with his professional shortcomings head-on. (This is America after all; and our society, by nature, loves to grant second chances.)

But above all, Millen, who's often flanked by resourceful COO Tom Lewand and assistant GM Martin Mayhew, requires some sound advice on how to confront that 800-pound gorilla sitting at his workplace -- in the form of media and fans openly questioning his livelihood.

MOLA1
12-16-2006, 03:10 AM
In a perfect world, Millen would throw himself to the mercy of the Court of Public Opinion, instead of meekly waiting out the end of his presidency.

Hmmmm...
http://img327.imageshack.us/img327/3843/wtfdetroital7.gif

Tahoe
12-16-2006, 08:10 PM
If they won't fire him and he won't quit, can't they kick him up somewhere, give him some ridiculous title so he'll go away?

Its the top 2 pick that has me wanting him to go away.

b-diddy
12-17-2006, 01:29 AM
"[Millen's] got the worst record in history from a general manager and he'll have that record forever," an AFC executive told the paper. "No one else will ever get to have double-digit losses for six straight years. I've been in the league for over 20 years, and I've never heard of a team going 23-68 without making a change in management. The only thing he's accomplished since he got to Detroit is surviving. Don't ask me how he's done it."

lol, worth reading twice.

Jethro34
12-18-2006, 06:50 AM
Does everyone realize, just for comparison sake, that the Tigers team that went 43-119 had a higher winning percentage (.265) in that season than the Lions organization has had during the Millen era (.250)?

Zekyl
12-18-2006, 10:53 AM
that statistic makes me cry on the inside.

luniz
12-20-2006, 01:24 PM
a lot of people liked the C-Rog pick at the time..

Glenn
12-20-2006, 01:50 PM
Me to Jay Clemons: "Stop writing articles asking Millen to stay"

Zekyl
12-20-2006, 02:23 PM
a lot of people liked the C-Rog pick at the time..

I liked it up until he got suspended for weed. He looked great during his rookie season. It's like he got sick of the rehab after the second break and just gave up on football.

cruscott35
12-26-2006, 09:10 AM
I think a lot of teams would've drafted Rogers there.

WTFchris
12-26-2006, 11:48 AM
so next week we can wrap up the 50 games under .500 under Millen. oh boy.

Jethro34
12-26-2006, 02:24 PM
Remember how Rogers performed in his first NFL game?

I honestly believe that his career would have been 100% different had it not been for the collarbone injuries.

He would have continued having some level of success and he would have stayed in shape. Chances are if he doesn't get injured, the coaching scenario plays out differently and the whole team is slightly different. Not necessarily better, but different. A couple more wins gets us a different draft position which influences who we pick, what positions we target free agents at, etc.

Yes, Charles blew it and he is who he is. He may have still screwed something else up. But he had talent and he would have sustained a playing level if healthy. Off-the-field issues like drugs likely would have still come up. Attitude issues were probably underlying the whole time (see Randy Moss), but those aren't as big a deal when the player is given touches and produces with them.

JS
01-02-2007, 11:03 AM
Where is Matt Millen?

Why isn't the media calling him out for hiding?

Why is it that Matt Millen can call people fags and cowards for their actions yet he gets away with his actions scott free?

I know that Matt Millen is an old bit and wondering why he has a job is pointless my problem is much simplier, I want to know why this ass isn't talking? I mean if he really does believe in the process why hide in the corner like a scared child instead of facing the public? I have been a huge critic of the Detroit Media for a while and this a perfect example...Every week some newspaper guy who works on the radio, comes on the air and says he saw Matt Millen's ugly mug in an elevator but Millen refused to comment on the record. How is that possible, How can he allowed to get away with no comment? Why doesn't the media bait him? this guy has no self control when provoked. How can the face of a franchise who has brought so much dispair, disaray and plight to a franchise, not to mention a mere 4 wins on avg a year be allowed to remain quiet?

Bottomline is the Detroit Media is as inadequate as the Lions Regime because they allow Millen to escape the spotlight. And as soon as Master Millen wants to talk they will allow the hot cornbeard to be served with minimal questions about his piss poor record. Matt Millen like the Media is a devote coward.

Glenn
01-02-2007, 11:06 AM
I have a feeling that he's going to resign within the next week, just a hunch.

And I agree with you, JS.

Glenn
01-02-2007, 11:21 AM
I have a feeling that he's going to resign within the next week, just a hunch.

And I agree with you, JS.

And 15 minutes after that post I see that there are reports that he'll definitely be back.