WTFDetroit.com

View Full Version : The most lopsided NFL trades in history

Glenn
11-28-2006, 02:53 PM
In no particular order...

--2004-- Chargers trade rights to Eli Manning for what turns out to be Philip Rivers, Shawne Merriman and Nate Kaeding

--2001-- Chargers trade rights to #1 (Michael Vick) for #5 pick (LaDainian Tomlinson). The Chargers also got a 3rd rounder in 2001, a 2nd in 2002 and Tim Dwight.

--1989-- Cowboys trade Herschel Walker to Minnesota for 11 players/picks which ended up including Emmitt Smith, Darren Woodson and Russell Maryland amongst others.

Got more?

Fool
11-28-2006, 02:57 PM
Ben Roethlisberger trades 11 grand for a motorcycle.

UxKa
11-28-2006, 03:28 PM
--1989-- Cowboys trade Herschel Walker to Minnesota for 11 players/picks which ended up including Emmitt Smith, Darren Woodson and Russell Maryland amongst others.

Thats what came to my mind, although to me its the BEST trade ever.

Hermy
11-28-2006, 06:06 PM
Favre and Hasselbeck were had for poop.

WTFchris
11-29-2006, 10:00 AM
Technically those are the best trades ever Glenn. Only because the order you mentioned them (ie Vick FOR Brees and LT). I would change the title to "most lopsided trades ever" to cover yourself. Isn't it amazing that the Chargers pulled off two fleecings that big?

BTW, you forgot to mention they picked Brees with the extra pick in the LT deal. I think he was the 2nd rounder in 2002. I'm going to try and come up with some of my own.

WTFchris
11-29-2006, 10:08 AM
This isn't as big as the ones you mentioned, but our Roy Williams pick was a nice trade:

2) Detroit traded its first-round pick (No. 6) to Cleveland for the Browns (http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFLDraft/Draft+Day/2004/Trades.htm#)' first- and second-round picks (Nos. 7 and 37). Cleveland selected Miami (Fla.) TE Kellen Winslow with the No. 6 pick. Detroit selected Texas WR Roy Williams and Oklahoma LB Teddy Lehman with the Nos. 7 and 37 picks.

I think we traded our second rounder with a 5th rounder to move up and get Kevin Jones too.

WTFchris
11-29-2006, 10:15 AM
Here are some trades involving the #1 pick:

Houston Oilers: Traded No. 1 for DE Tody Smith, WR Billy Parks.
Dallas Cowboys: Acquired DE Ed (Too Tall) Jones.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Traded No. 1 for QB Doug Williams, G Brett Moritz, DE Reggie Lewis, QB Chuck Fusina.
Houston Oilers: Acquired RB Earl Campbell.

Baltimore Colts: Traded No. 1 for G-T Chris Hinton, QB Mark Hermann, G Ron Solt.
Denver Broncos: Acquired QB John Elway.

Atlanta Falcons: Traded No. 1 for G-T Chris Hinton, WR Andre Rison, T-G Reggie Redding, WR Mike Pritchard.
Indianapolis Colts: Acquired QB Jeff George, WR Stacey Simmons.

New England Patriots: Traded No. 1 for T Pat Harlow, CB Jerome Henderson.
Dallas Cowboys: Acquired DT Russell Maryland.

Carolina Panthers: Traded No. 1 for QB Kerry Collins, DE Shawn King.
Cincinnati Bengals: Acquired RB Ki-Jana Carter.

New York Jets: Traded No. 1 for LB James Farrior, RB Leon Johnson, WR Dedric Ward, QB Chuck Clements, DT Jason Ferguson, DE Terry Day.
St. Louis Rams: Acquired T Orlando Pace.

Glenn
11-29-2006, 10:28 AM
I would change the title to "most lopsided trades ever" to cover yourself.

Nice call.

You deserve a promotion.

[smilie=snakes]