WTFDetroit.com

View Full Version : Lions cut Bradford, Vines & Hakim (then they re-sign Bradford)

Glenn
10-19-2006, 08:22 AM
This really flew under the radar, it actually happened on Tuesday.

Detroit Lions
Placed running back Shawn Bryson on injured reserve; signed running back Arlen Harris; released ride receiver Scottie Vines; signed guard Stephen Peterman to the practice squad; released offensive tackle Clint Stickdorn from the practice squad.

MoTown
10-19-2006, 08:42 AM
Whew. I thought you were going to say they cut Jason Hansen.

WTFchris
10-19-2006, 02:19 PM
It's hard to make a roster loaded with the finest WR's from Hofstra, Northern Iowa and Portland State.

BTW, check out the Lions page on NFL.com. You can vote Marinelli as Coach of the Week and select your Lions Pro Bowlers too.

Glenn
10-31-2006, 11:03 AM
Az Hakim waived

http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061030/UPDATE/610300416

Lions release receiver Hakim

Mike O'Hara / The Detroit News

ALLEN PARK -- The Detroit Lions made a surprising roster move Monday in their return from the bye week by releasing wide receiver Az-Zahir Hakim.

Monday's practice was the first of the week for the Lions, who did not play Sunday.

"It was a football decision," Lions president Matt Millen said.

Millen did not want to comment further.

The release of Hakim was not expected. He signed with the Lions after the first game and seemed to fit in as a third receiver. He ranked third among the team's receivers with 17 catches.

It was Hakim's second stint with the Lions. He played for them from 2002-04 and caught 120 passes.

WTFchris
10-31-2006, 06:39 PM
So Rogers, Vines, Bodiford, Bradford, Martinez and Hakim have all been on and off the roster as WR's now. Mike Williams must really be in the dog house to miss out on a chance to play. Everyone besides Roy and Furrey have been cut at some point (Drummond is returner, so he doesn't count).

MoTown
11-01-2006, 08:08 AM
I think the Lions are just a lottery. I mean how else can you explain the fact that they give people money, maybe let them play in a game or two, and them let them go with their money.

Los Angeles Lions, 2009! Please?

WTFchris
11-02-2006, 10:13 AM
What I can't understand is why they don't trade or cut Williams. Clearly they feel he does not fit their system. Trade him for any pick you can get if you aren't going to use him.

srt4b
11-05-2006, 02:35 PM
Some 3 day player is active this week over MW, Matt Millen is totally drawing from a hat at this point.

Wizzle
11-16-2006, 04:06 PM
From MLive

Thursday, November 16, 2006

Bradford back in, Kasper cut
One week after saying he was happy with the situation at the No. 3 receiver spot, offensive coordinator Mike Martz has reversed course. Kevin Kasper, who got most of the reps at No. 3 receiver against San Francisco has been cut.

Taking his place is Corey Bradford, who started the season at No. 3, but was cut. Since Bradford left the team, Az Hakim, Shaun Bodiford, Devale Ellis and Kasper have taken turns at No. 3.

Bradford is basically playing for free this season because, after he was cut, his contract for the season was guaranteed. Now that he's returned, he's playing under the terms of the initial contract.

you can now rename this thread "The Lions WR Carousel" (french sp?).......what a joke

I'll bet 100 of my vCash that Bradford gets cut again

WTFchris
11-16-2006, 04:18 PM
I'll make sure to keep my cell phone on for Sunday in case they need me.

H1Man
11-16-2006, 04:20 PM
How long until they re-sign CRog and cut Bradford?

WTFchris
11-17-2006, 09:48 AM
McCown could play receiver
Quarterback Josh McCown could play some receiver in the upcoming weeks, but offensive coordinator Mike Martz said the team would be smart about it and not send him on crossing patterns over the middle and will try to keep him out of harm's way if at all possible.

That means that McCown, who has been catching passes with the receivers for several weeks, would likely be a fourth receiver and run deep routes in obvious passing situations. McCown has good speed, great leaping ability and good hands.

"He's such a great athlete. He's a 4.5 (40-yard dash) guy, 6-4, 6-3," Martz said. "We work him out every week as a wide receiver just in case. We always carry him as an emergency receiver. I never had a quarterback that was that dynamic of an athlete. There's nothing he can't do athletically. He's a freak of an athlete."

Martz will not put McCown in danger of being hurt if he gets into a game.

"I think it'd be a very selective situation. We'd be very, very specific about how we would use him. Are we going to use him as a stock blocker, running inside on routes? No. We're not going to do that. Certainly with his height advantage, and his speed, there's some things that he can do that can help."

And, yes, this means that Mike Williams has now dropped below a quarterback on the receiver depth chart.

Glenn
11-17-2006, 09:58 AM
^I hope that is a joke

WTFchris
11-17-2006, 11:09 AM
Afraid not. It's on Mlive.

H1Man
11-17-2006, 06:42 PM
And, yes, this means that Mike Williams has now dropped below a quarterback on the receiver depth chart.

[smilie=rofl.gif]

Glenn
12-13-2006, 02:25 PM
Is this the next new Lion?

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2006/12/13/gabriel_dumped_by_patriots/

Gabriel dumped by Patriots

By Mike Reiss, Globe Staff | December 13, 2006

FOXBOROUGH -- After catching five passes for a season-high 83 yards in a blowout victory over the Vikings Oct. 30, it appeared Doug Gabriel was emerging as the dangerous wide receiving threat the Patriots needed.

Gabriel's chemistry with Tom Brady seemed to be improving, and the quarterback lamented after the game that he didn't get the receiver a touchdown.

Yet that performance turned out to be Gabriel's peak as a Patriot. After an unexpected turn of events that included a significant decrease in playing time, Gabriel was released yesterday.

The 26-year-old Gabriel played in 12 games, starting five, and caught 25 passes for 344 yards and three touchdowns. His 13.8-yard average was tops among Patriots pass-catchers with more than 10 receptions.

But things apparently began to spiral in the wrong direction during a 17-14 loss to the Jets Nov. 12, when Gabriel lost a second-quarter fumble and didn't get on the field the rest of the game. His playing time was limited thereafter, as reflected in his statistics: He had just one catch in the four games he played after the fumble. In the last two games, Gabriel was on the field for only 25 plays, mostly in multiple-receiver sets.

Gabriel's agent, Bus Cook, said last week that he felt Gabriel's lack of playing time was simply due to others on the roster earning their time. Cook was unavailable for comment last night.

Gabriel's departure leaves the Patriots with five receivers on the active roster: starters Reche Caldwell and Troy Brown, and backups Jabar Gaffney, rookie Chad Jackson, and first-year player Kelvin Kight, who was promoted from the practice squad Saturday. Jackson has missed the last two games with a groin injury.

Searching for an upgrade at wide receiver at the end of training camp, the Patriots traded a fifth-round draft choice to the Raiders for Gabriel, who at 6 feet 2 inches and 215 pounds immediately became the team's rangiest target. He was a fifth-round draft choice of the Raiders in 2003 and spent his first three seasons with Oakland, playing in 42 games with seven starts.

Approached a few weeks ago in the locker room and asked to discuss his situation, Gabriel declined, saying he would speak only about positive things.

Coach Bill Belichick commented on Gabriel last week, saying he had "made a lot of progress through the course of the year."

Belichick also noted that all of the receivers besides Brown had to pick up the team's system and that "Doug has made good, steady progress in that area."

WTFchris
12-13-2006, 03:07 PM
I bet you are right. He's better than McCown at WR. But I'd still rather see Mike get a shot for 3 games. besides, we need a RB more than a WR right now.

UberAlles
12-13-2006, 03:18 PM
:killer::kitna:[smilie=Martz2]

Can McCown play running back?

No Matt Millen smilie? SCREW YOU GLENN!

UberAlles
12-14-2006, 10:33 PM
I also want a Rod Marinate smilie. NOW!