WTFDetroit.com

View Full Version : How are the strawberries and champagne in Miami? Joey to start for the Dolphins

Glenn
10-06-2006, 03:21 PM
Rumblings out of Miami that he could get the start this weekend.

LOL.

b-diddy
10-06-2006, 03:26 PM
the piano man= savior. i think i might go add him in the fantasy league.

Glenn
10-08-2006, 12:06 PM
Since I'm playing you this week, I hope you do grab him.

The "fantasy expert" on Westwood One radio just said he's rather start a QB on a bye week and take a zero than play Harrington.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2617505

With Culpepper hurting, Harrington to start for Dolphins

ESPN.com news services

Joey Harrington will start for the Dolphins against the Patriots on Sunday, ESPN's Chris Mortensen is reporting.

Daunte Culpepper, who started the Dolphins' first four games, has a bruised shoulder and was limited in practice this week.

Culpepper missed a portion of the Dolphins' practice Thursday because of the shoulder problem, which coach Nick Saban said is a cumulative effect of being sacked 21 times through the season's first four games. Culpepper practiced Friday.

Earlier this week, Culpepper acknowledged that he's feeling the effects of being hit so often -- a problem created in part by his lack of mobility following reconstructive knee surgery last year -- but added that he wasn't overly worried about it, either.

Culpepper has completed 81 of 134 passes for 929 yards, two touchdowns and three interceptions for the Dolphins, who are off to a 1-3 start. His quarterback rating of 77.0 ranks 20th.

Saban said Harrington has done "a nice job" in practices, but stopped short of revealing if the offense would look markedly different if Culpepper doesn't play Sunday.

"Both guys would basically execute pretty much the same things," Saban said. "I think there are differences that one guy may like certain plays better than another. Short of calling [Patriots coach Bill Belichick] and telling him what those are, I think that's not something I'd like to share with anybody here."

Glenn
10-09-2006, 11:45 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2618087

Report: Culpepper, Saban had heated argument Friday

ESPN.com news services

Miami Dolphins coach Nick Saban and quarterback Daunte Culpepper engaged in a heated argument at practice on Friday, The Miami Herald reported on Monday.

The argument came the same day Saban told the media he had yet to name a starter for Sunday's game against the New England Patriots. Saban eventually settled on Joey Harrington, saying Culpepper's struggles with mobility and a right shoulder bruise were the reasons he was changing starters.

The Herald said the reasons for the argument remained unclear. Several players confirmed to the newspaper that the incident took place, but simply called it "family business."

The change didn't produce a win for the Dolphins. Harrington was 26-of-41 for 232 yards, but he threw two critical interceptions and didn't have a touchdown pass as the Patriots won 20-10.

Culpepper played only the first seven games last season for the Minnesota Vikings before a season-ending knee injury and hasn't regained his former mobility. He missed part of Thursday's practice but participated in the full session Friday and had been listed as probable for the game.

After Sunday's game, Saban declined to comment about the argument, the Herald reported. He did, however, praise Culpepper's desire to play.

"He's a pit bull, kicking in the corner, giving his last breath," Saban said. "He'll put his career on the line for the team. I love that in the guy. I love it."
Culpepper declined to comment after the game, the Herald reported.

UberAlles
10-10-2006, 05:28 PM
I think Joey is on a strictly BonBon diet down in FLA.

http://img276.imageshack.us/img276/1849/if20030926hismallkn0.jpg

Glenn
10-11-2006, 12:45 PM
On the "bright" side...not that Millen won't botch the pick or anything.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/football/pro/dolphins/sfl-spdolinsider10_2oct10,0,5009797.story?coll=sfla-dolphins-front

Harrington could cost Dolphins a 5th-round pick

By Alex Marvez
South Florida Sun-Sentinel
Posted October 10 2006, 9:48 AM EDT

Although deserving of criticism for his franchise's ongoing problems, Detroit President Matt Millen's handling of the Joey Harrington trade to the Dolphins could net the Lions a 2007 fifth-round draft choice.

The Dolphins acquired Harrington in May for a 2007 sixth-round draft choice. But a source said Monday that the pick will become a fifth-rounder if Harrington plays in 35 percent of the Dolphins' offensive snaps this season.

The tally stands at 20.6 percent after Harrington was under center for 63 snaps against New England. The number will rise as long as former starter Daunte Culpepper remains benched with health issues.

The Dolphins originally were unwilling to provide that kind of draft compensation for Harrington last March when negotiations with the Lions began. Dolphins coach Nick Saban even said he was prepared to wait for the Lions to release Harrington in June because of salary cap reasons after trade talks had bogged down.

But when it became obvious that Harrington could receive strong interest from other teams if allowed to become a free agent, the Dolphins upped the ante to complete the deal.

Glenn
12-18-2006, 03:55 PM
And just like that, Dolphins fans are calling for Cleo Lemon to take over, lol.

WTFchris
12-26-2006, 11:12 AM
I don't have a snap count (and have no idea where to find one), but Joey has %71 of the Dolphins pass atempts this year, so I'm betting we've locked up that 5th rounder. Yippee.

Unibomber
12-29-2006, 04:54 AM
And...Cleo Lemon is starting. God.

Except for the fact that Detroit's offense and Miami's offense are mighty similar in the personnel department (except for McMichael), that's ugly.

H1Man
01-04-2007, 10:19 PM
Per PFT:

HARRINGTON BENCHED TO AVOID INCENTIVES?

Our initial information gathering regarding the decision of the Miami Dolphins to go with quarterback Cleo Lemon for the final game-and-a-half of the 2006 season (scroll down for more) suggests that the move might have been driven by the reality that prior starter Joey Harrington was in line to cash in on some significant incentives if he had stayed on the field.

It's our understanding that there is a play-time incentive in the deal, and that Harrington's eligibility for it will depend on a play-by-play count of the team's total offensive snaps.

If the motivation is true (and we're not saying that it is), the situation would be ironic, to say the least. Rams backup Gus Frerotte recently claimed that Miami coach Nick Saban wanted to bench him at the end of the 2005 season in order to keep Frerotte from reaching incentive triggers in his deal, but that then-Fins offensive coordinator Scott Linehan intervened on the quarterback's behalf. Saban has since denied the allegations.

Stay tuned. We're trying to track down more details on this one.

Black Dynamite
01-04-2007, 11:56 PM
sounds about right.

b-diddy
01-05-2007, 12:02 AM
to be fair, nick saban has always said team before money.

UxKa
01-05-2007, 12:23 AM
Sorry for missing the train, but where does the 'strawberries and champagne' reference come from?

b-diddy
01-05-2007, 12:28 AM
a couple years ago when tony seragoosa (spelled phonetically) basically spent a year beginning his journalistic career stalking harrington. one point he mentioned joey was more of a strawberries and champaign type of guy rather than meat and patatoes. funny comment, but goose is a ass for it, still.

UxKa
01-05-2007, 12:40 AM
Ah, thanks diddy. That is pretty funny wether it be about Joey or whoever. Ill have to remember that.