WTFDetroit.com

View Full Version : Report: Terrell Owens attempted suicide

Matt
09-27-2006, 09:37 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2604395

DALLAS -- Terrell Owens was taken to the emergency room Tuesday night after suffering an adverse reaction to painkillers taken for treatment of his fractured hand, a source close to Owens told ESPN's Ed Werder.

"This is not serious," Owens' publicist Kim Etheridge said in Wednesday's online edition of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram.

A report earlier Tuesday stated that Owens would practice with the team Wednesday and possibly play Sunday at Tennessee, but his availability this week and beyond is now uncertain.

UPDATE: just heard on Mike & Mike on ESPN2 that the Dallas Star is saying it might have been a suicide attempt?!! :eek:

Matt
09-27-2006, 09:38 AM
http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/15620551.htm

T.O. tried suicide, report says

By MAC ENGEL and CLARENCE E. HILL JR.

Star-Telegram Staff Writers

Cowboys receiver Terrell Owens ingested a large amount of prescription pain medication in a suicide attempt, according to a Dallas police report quoted by WFAA/Channel 8.
The report indicates that when police asked Owens if he had tried to harm himself, he said yes, the station reported.
A team source said Tuesday night that Owens had suffered an allergic reaction to pain medication Tuesday night and was admitted to Baylor Medical Center.
Owens left the hospital early this morning and police said they would make a statement during "working hours." A news conference will be held later today, police said.

Glenn
09-27-2006, 09:40 AM
Whoa.

*Paging Ron Artest. Ron Artest, please pick up the white courtesy phone*

Glenn
09-27-2006, 09:45 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/football/nfl/09/27/owens.report/index.html?cnn=yes

Report: Owens attempted suicide

WFAA-TV in Dallas is reporting that Cowboys wide receiver Terrell Owens attempted to commit suicide Tuesday night.

According to a Dallas Police report obtained by the station, Owens was depressed and reportedly took prescription pain pills.

WFAA says the report states a woman companion said that she observed Owens putting two pills in his mouth. The woman said the prescription of 40 pills was filled on September 18 and -- until Tuesday -- Owens had taken only five pills. The police report said Owens was asked if he had taken the rest of the prescription; Owens said, "Yes."

Hermy
09-27-2006, 09:51 AM
Argg. There goes my fantasy team. way to think of yourself.

UxKa
09-27-2006, 10:42 AM
shit. that sucks. too bad that he sank that low. i dont think the artest comment is fair, big diff between hurting yourself and hurting other people. aside from being a cowboy fan i hope hes ok and can get his life situated. on one hand im thinking he should take the season off to do that, on the other i think scoring a few touchdowns would help him a lot.

Glenn
09-27-2006, 11:13 AM
As far as the Artest comment, what I was trying to say is Ronnie better watch it or this is the path he'll be heading down next.

Hopefully he takes notice.

Well, honestly, I don't care if he does or not.

Glenn
09-27-2006, 11:21 AM
ESPN just updated their story

Police report: Owens hospitalized after suicide attempt

ESPN.com news services

DALLAS -- Flamboyant Dallas Cowboys receiver Terrell Owens attempted suicide by overdosing on pain medication, even putting two more pills into his mouth after a friend intervened, according to a police report obtained by The Associated Press on Wednesday.

A Dallas police report released Wednesday morning said Owens told a friend "that he was depressed." The report was first released by WFAA-TV.

The friend, who is not identified in the report, "noticed that [his] prescription pain medication was empty and observed [Owens] putting two pills in his mouth," the police report said.

The friend attempted to pry them out with her fingers, then was told by Owens that before this incident he'd taken only five of the 40 pain pills in the bottle he'd emptied. Owens was asked by rescue workers "if he was attempting to harm himself, at which time [he] stated, 'Yes.'"

KTVT-TV in Dallas reported that a woman named "Etheridge", likely his publicist Kim Etheridge, called police at 7:51 p.m. to report a suicide attempt. KTVT-TV reported that Owens ingested 35 pills.

Owens left the hospital early this morning, The Fort Worth Star-Telegram reported. A hospital spokeswoman told The Associated Press early Wednesday there was no patient registered as Terrell Owens, although federal privacy laws allow people to block their name from being released.

Dallas police officials would neither confirm nor deny details of the report but said there was no criminal case pending. The Cowboys have called a 2:30 p.m. ET news conference.

Matt
09-27-2006, 11:48 AM
As far as the Artest comment, what I was trying to say is Ronnie better watch it or this is the path he'll be heading down next.

Hopefully he takes notice.

Well, honestly, I don't care if he does or not.

with Ronald, i think we'd be more fearful of him NOT taking his crazy pills.....

http://www.jsonline.com/graphics/sports/buck/img/nov04/ron1121.jpg

b-diddy
09-27-2006, 12:38 PM
wow.

TO has all the symptoms of being manic-depressant, so this isnt out of the blue, i guess. but still, dude has it all.

Matt
09-27-2006, 12:54 PM
just heard that TO will be making a public statement soon. maybe 1pm ET?

Glenn
09-27-2006, 12:56 PM
just heard that TO will be making a public statement soon. maybe 1pm ET?

The Cowboys have called a 2:30 p.m. ET news conference.

Matt
09-27-2006, 01:00 PM
i heard that Parcells will have an official team press conference, but i also heard that TO is having a personal statement in the next few minutes......

Glenn
09-27-2006, 01:00 PM
Man, I love the internets.

Take this, Mxy!

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/graphics/art3/0927061owens1.gif

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/0927061owens1.html

Matt
09-27-2006, 01:07 PM
update:

TO will speak at 1:30p ET (update again: 3:15p ET)

Cowboys will have their regularly scheduled press conference at 2:30p ET

Matt
09-27-2006, 03:34 PM
TO's finally speaking.....

b-diddy
09-27-2006, 03:44 PM
it'll be interesting to see if TO, even for a moment, becomes a sympathetic figure. seems like everyone loves to hate TO (not me, i've always been in his corner).

Matt
09-27-2006, 03:47 PM
his publicist flat out denied saying that TO was depressed, contradicting police documents.

Glenn
09-27-2006, 03:57 PM
Even if he's telling the truth and it wasn't a suicide attempt, he's lost the benefit of the doubt in America's eyes, most likely.

He's never going to shake this.

b-diddy
09-27-2006, 04:37 PM
yea, they're story was pretty unbelievable.

i get the idea "if we address this now it might go away", but i think they failed. TO could have just waited a week and then said it was personal, and i dont think anyone could have said anything.

to me, i think a suicide attempt is not something the public has a right to know about. this is all very strange.

UxKa
09-27-2006, 10:46 PM
hmm... [smilie=bullshit.gi:

i think im really doubting that he tried to kill himself. it didnt make sense to me this morning, and after the story unfolded today it makes even less sense. i think i turned when i saw his press conference from this afternoon. ive had friends who tried to kill themselves. ive talked to them the next day, and none of them appeared to be anything but someone who tried to kill theirself. TO didnt look like that at all. he looked pretty normal to me, upbeat even. i can buy that meds messed with him because ive been put on a couple things that really screwed with me, literally made me a different person and out of touch with reality. from fighting with people that ive never fought with to not mowing my lawn for a month to forgetting a week of my life. meds are no joke if they dont agree with you, and in america we forget that quite easily (for example, in europe you cant get tylenol or cold medicine without a pharmacist doing a quick inspection on you). its also official now that his stomach wasnt pumped. if he took 35 pills i dont see how his stomach wouldnt have been pumped. also if he did try to kill himself theres no way the cowboys would let him play sunday, and the only reason that is in question is his hand injury. another point, i think it was dan lebatard that said it, is that TO is a 'relentless teller of truth'. he doesnt know what damage control is or how to put a good spin on his life. i dont think he decided to learn that this morning, and i dont think he had anything but a reaction to meds.

DennyMcLain
09-27-2006, 11:08 PM
Can I make it official that nobody cares?

Maybe with an ®...

It's official -- nobody cares®.

Glenn
10-11-2011, 07:56 AM
Again?

I'm hearing things.