WTFDetroit.com

View Full Version : Lions bring back Az Hakim

Glenn
09-13-2006, 07:56 AM
http://www.mlive.com/lions/weblog/index.ssf?/mtlogs/mlive_lions/archives/2006_09.html#182494

Kowalski Kowality

Why Az Hakim was signed

The decision to sign Az Hakim -- and give the team seven receivers and just four running backs on the roster -- was based on several factors.

One, the Lions had been in discussions with Hakim for awhile. They wanted him back but, because he's a vested veteran, they didn't want to sign him before the start of the regular season (and give him a guaranteed contract for the year). Because they waited, the Lions will pay him on game-by-game basis.

Two, the Lions receivers did such a lousy job of everything on Sunday, Hakim's name moved to the top of the short list. Hakim spent several years in Mike Martz's offense and knows the system.

Three, the Lions could use a backup return man, but that doesn't mean Hakim will be active for the Chicago game. If something happens to Eddie Drummond, the Lions feel comfortable with Brian Calhoun returning kickoffs and Dre Bly returning punts.

Four, because Shawn Bryson can play both tailback and fullback, the Lions don't believe they're short in the backfield.

Finally, don't assume the signing of Hakim has pushed Mike Williams further down the depth chart. The Lions have been encouraged by his progress, but there's no telling when, of if, he'll be involved in the game plans.

MOLA1
09-16-2006, 01:46 AM
Good move.

Jethro34
09-16-2006, 08:50 AM
He mentions only 4 RB's, then talks about Calhoun and Bryson. I'm sure Jones and Sledge are still on the squad as well, so I take it preseason game 1 hero and another St. Louis carryover Arlen Harris is gone?

(preparing to look stupid if he was actually cut a long time ago)

Jethro34
09-16-2006, 08:56 AM
Note:
Just checked the transactions and saw that they let Harris go on Sept 8 and signed some WR I've never heard of (DeVale Ellis?) from the practice squad. Bringing in Hakim sent Ellis back to the practice squad.

WTFchris
09-19-2006, 07:22 PM
Harris was cut already, yes. What is next, allegator arms schroeder comes back?

I don't want any part of old man Hakim and his lack of speed these days.