WTFDetroit.com

View Full Version : Roy Williams and his guarantees (he has a new one)

Vinny
09-11-2006, 08:46 PM
Gotta love it....(Nevermind that Chicago looked like they'll beat us by 25 points)

http://www.mlive.com/weblogs/highlightreel/index.ssf?/mtlogs/mlive_highlightreel/archives/2006_09.html

Matt
09-11-2006, 08:54 PM
i suppose confidence is a good thing........especially coming from that lockerroom.

MoTown
09-12-2006, 08:33 AM
Usually guarantees get the opposing locker room mad and pumped up. Maybe Williams was going for the opposite effect on the Bears. I highly doubt Urlacher looked at the paper and started fuming. His response probably was... "WTF??? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!"

(Maybe Urlacher busted a rib doing that. Mission accomplished, Roy.)

Vinny
09-12-2006, 12:41 PM
These Bears are good and cocky good at this point. I went out on Sunday night and Alex Brown, Urlacher, Lance Briggs, Thomas Jones, Ogunleye, and Kyle Orton (lol --tanked, pounding jack out of the bottle) were all out. They've got something special on D and they know it.

Glenn
09-15-2006, 05:21 PM
Detroit (0-1) at Chicago (1-0)

Game Info: 1:00 pm EDT Sun Sep 17, 2006
TV: FOX

By MATT BECKER, STATS Writer

The Chicago Bears defense made a statement with a shutout in the season opener. Apparently, it wasn't enough to impress Detroit Lions wide receiver Roy Williams.

Having guaranteed a victory over the Bears on Sunday, Williams looks to help the Lions make good on his boast when the teams meet at Soldier Field.

Chicago won the NFC North last season behind the top defense in the NFL, and with 11 defensive starters returning this season, the Bears picked up last week where they left off. Chicago shut down Brett Favre and Green Bay en route to a 26-0 victory, the first shutout of the three-time MVP's 16-year career.

The Bears allowed only seven yards on nine plays in the first quarter, and recorded three sacks and two interceptions in the game.

"The tone is set, we set our goals high," linebacker Lance Briggs said. "A lot of people think we talk a lot, a lot about who we are as a team, but it's about what we believe in."

While the Bears may talk a lot, Williams has outdone them this week.

"We will win this game," Williams said Monday, one day after Detroit lost 9-6 to Seattle and failed to score a touchdown. "Y'all can take that as a guarantee or whatnot, but we will win this game.

"I'm just saying that when we play the way we are supposed to play, there's not a defense in the NFL that is going to stop us. If we play that way against the Bears, and we should, we'll win. It was stupid how close we were to putting 40 points on the board."

Detroit was a mere 34 points shy of that number against the Seahawks, rushing for only 38 yards and passing for 229.

Williams caught three passes for 36 yards and had an illegal-motion penalty that negated a long run by Kevin Jones.

Williams' guarantee seems all the more brash considering the recent history between these teams. The Bears have won seven of their last 11 over the Lions, including both meetings last season, and four of the last five at home.

The Bears beat the Lions 38-6 on Sept. 18 at Soldier Field and 19-13 in overtime at Ford Field on Oct. 30.

Chicago went 7-1 at Soldier Field last season, allowing 37 total points in the wins.

The Bears had one of the worst offenses in the league last season, but the unit looked rejuvenated with Rex Grossman at quarterback last week.

The oft-injured Grossman struggled in the preseason, causing many fans to call for new backup Brian Griese, but he connected on a 49-yard pass with wide receiver Bernard Berrian on the sixth play of the game.

Grossman finished 18-of-26 for a career-high 262 yards, and directed four drives that ended in Robbie Gould field goals.

"We were able to move the ball up and down the field, but I'd still like to finish up some of those drives," Grossman said. "That's going to be key in the coming weeks, because eventually the other team will score."

While Grossman had a career day against the Packers, the Bears running game struggled to get in sync. Thomas Jones rushed for 63 yards on 21 attempts, and Cedric Benson had 34 yards on 11 carries.

Last season, Jones finished with 1,335 rushing yards to join Walter Payton as the only Bears to gain 1,300 yards on the ground. Jones totaled 139 yards and 72 yards rushing in the two games against the Lions.

Chicago scored more than 26 points only twice last season.

Veteran quarterback Jon Kitna got the nod in place of Joey Harrington for the Lions last week and went 21-of-37 for 229 yards in his first start since 2004 with Cincinnati.

Detroit's Kevin Jones rushed for only 35 yards on 14 carries. He had 88 total yards on 26 attempts against Chicago last season.

"We will be fine on offense," Kitna said. "We'll score and hold up our end."

Despite its offensive struggles against the Seahawks, Detroit held the defending NFC champions to 264 yards and blocked two field goals.

"We were close Sunday. We got a good effort. I don't care about any of that," Lions first-year coach Rod Marinelli said. "It's all about winning in the NFL. I'm not throwing any bouquets for playing hard. We should always play hard.

"There's no way anyone should feel good about this game."

The Lions have not started 0-2 since dropping the first three games of 2002.

Vinny
09-15-2006, 10:54 PM
I'm teasing the Lions and the under on this one. I don't really think we stand much of a chance but Lions +15 and under 38 for close to even money looks solid to me. I'm sure I'll regret it come Monday.

b-diddy
09-16-2006, 12:02 AM
i dont know vinny. its stupid how close the lions were to scoring 40 vs the seahawks, so taking the under on 38 might cost you.

MOLA1
09-16-2006, 01:46 AM
Lions win big. No cornbread. No homerism. I'm a Lions fan.
It's waaaay past any of that shit. We're borderline psychotic.
Roy goes off and we score 40+. KJ runs for 120.

Book that shit.

(shoot me)

MoTown
09-17-2006, 02:16 PM
Wow. And I thought the Lions couldn't sink any lower.

Matt
09-17-2006, 02:31 PM
this is the lowest, high-powered offense i've ever seen.....

b-diddy
09-17-2006, 02:37 PM
its stupid how much were in this game.

DrRay11
09-17-2006, 03:09 PM
It's stupid how we could have forty points right now Roy.

Vinny
09-18-2006, 03:12 AM
That was just plain embarrassing. Painful.

Glenn
09-18-2006, 11:00 AM
Now it can be said.

Same.Old.Lions.

(I might be alone, but I think Kitna has looked pretty good)

Glenn
09-18-2006, 12:33 PM
[smilie=sarcastic.g:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2592484

Lions' Roy Williams says 'score means nothing'

ESPN.com news services

The Lions' Roy Williams apparently doesn't play to win the game. He'd rather strike a pose.

Williams' celebration after his first catch of Sunday's game against the Bears drew ire from the Chicago crowd and had Detroit Free Press columnist Mitch Albom scratching his head.

When Albom asked Williams why he celebrated a reception with his team already trailing by two scores, Williams responded, "I celebrate first downs all the time. I'm not gonna stop that. I'm an exciting player. If I do something exciting, I'm gonna show my actions."

Albom responded, "But you were losing, 10-0."

"What does that mean? ... That means nothing to me. The score means nothing," Williams told Albom.

Williams had angered the Bears by guaranteeing a Lions victory during the week. Detroit, however, was no match for Chicago in a lopsided 34-7 defeat.

Afterward, Williams said he didn't regret making the guarantee.

"No, because everyone believes what I said," he told Albom.

Williams caught six passes for 71 yards in the loss -- and he issued another guarantee afterward.

"You can all run with this: We will win the [next] game," he told reporters. "I don't care who it's against. We will win the game as long as we do what we're supposed to do. That's my comment for the whole week."

Matt
09-18-2006, 12:38 PM
"Quit stealing my bit."

http://www.sportsgoons.com/Images/volume2/2_8/sheed.gif