WTFDetroit.com

View Full Version : Terrorist plots to blow up US bound planes, foiled by British

Matt
08-10-2006, 07:35 AM
http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/08/10/us.security/index.html

holy bejeezus.

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- The United States on Thursday raised its terror threat level after British police said they had arrested more than 20 suspects in a major terrorist plot to blow up passenger jets flying between the United Kingdom and the United States.

The foiled plot was "intended to be mass murder on an unimaginable scale," Metropolitan Police Deputy Commissioner Paul Stephenson said.

The intelligence that uncovered the plot "makes very strong links to al Qaeda," a senior U.S. administration official told CNN.

Matt
08-10-2006, 07:55 AM
looks like if you're flying in the next few days, avoid bringing anything liquid aboard the plane. the terrorist scheme was to put together some sort of liquid bomb. freakin' scary.

Glenn
08-10-2006, 08:00 AM
They actually had a video ad for the World Trade Center movie in the yahoo story, but it looks like they've removed it.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060810/ap_on_re_eu/britain_terror_plot

Uncle Mxy
08-10-2006, 08:18 AM
All I've read so far is that it may involve British Pakistanis, chemical explosives, and blowing up planes in waves of three. Hopefully, some more details will be forthcoming. I'd like to believe the right thing has been done.

MoTown
08-10-2006, 08:21 AM
I'm sure even though this is a huge capture, people will dismiss it as minor. It's sad that the only way this would have gotten more attention is if they would have succeeded.

Uncle Mxy
08-10-2006, 09:43 AM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/08/10/AR2006081000166.html

A U.S. official who asked not to be further identified said United Airlines, Continental Airlines and American Airlines had been specifically targeted for attack.

Note the words being used (not sure we got them all) and actions they're taking (high alert -after- the arrests) don't inspire a lot of confidence that they truly know they've done the right thing. This could mean anything from "just being cautious" to "we might've missed someone who has a deadly Plan B" to "oops, we're not sure we have the right people at all, if there are any". As I said, I hope they got this right.

cruscott35
08-10-2006, 06:12 PM
But we should pull out of Iraq and let terrorist insurgents take over there.

cruscott35
08-10-2006, 08:46 PM
And, Anthony, this is why I side with Isreal...Notice, there weren't any Jews trying to blow me up.

UxKa
08-10-2006, 10:36 PM
for the record, 24 were arrested and 5 are still at large. the 5 are considered to be the ringleaders, tipped off by the early arrests in pakistan because those terrorists were about to go into hiding so the pakistani police had to act fast and didnt notify the english police in time. no liquids at all will likely be allowed on planes anytime soon, from water to coffee to baby formula to toothpaste. also anything with a battery such as watches, laptops, cameras, handheld video games, or even batteries themselves.

i was going to post about this anyway but i saw the thread already started, here is what i was going to say...

ive reached a point where i just dont want to fly anymore. anywhere in the states and ill just drive. if i do have to fly, im literally going to talk to the people next to me while were still on the runway. im basically going to say hey, no offense, but ive got my eye on you. if you do anything funny, i will break your arm. you better not pass anything off to another passenger, and ill be watching if you reach for anything. if its a 20 hour flight, im not gonna sleep so dont think about it. i dont care if youre arab, white, black, latino, asian, eskimo, or anything else... youre being watched closely. and ill be freakin out the whole time anyone gets up to pee lol. its sad, but its pretty much where its at with me. im not going down because a couple unarmed shits wanna blow up the plane. i will be the first to jump on someone thats about to fuck something up, which youre probably thinking is easy to say now but 'what about when it happens?'... hey id rather get punched a couple times or stabbed before my plane goes down. i got some fight training under my belt and the risk is minimized by the reward. but anyway, probably wont be flying anytime soon either way. thats my three cents.

Anthony
08-10-2006, 11:30 PM
Why you put the arab first! Huh?

LMFAO. Just kidding. I'd be scared shitless if I sat next to an arab.
And I agree with your three cents. Dont know if i'd actually get up though. I might. Fuck goin down like a bitch.

The last few years we've had drills at school of what to do incase there was a terrorists in our school (which involved shutting the lights off and running under the desk. DUCK AND COVER! LMFAO) Anyways, my black friend hated doin it, and told the teacher that if a terrorists came into the school, just have - and I quote - "Anthony speak they language. He'd talk to em"
Who says he's going to be Arabic, mother fucker? LMAO

But really, as much as I dont like Bush, while you'll never win a war on terror, you can always prevent shit like this happening.

UxKa
08-10-2006, 11:39 PM
The last few years we've had drills at school of what to do incase there was a terrorists in our school (which involved shutting the lights off and running under the desk. DUCK AND COVER! LMFAO) Anyways, my black friend hated doin it, and told the teacher that if a terrorists came into the school, just have - and I quote - "Anthony speak they language. He'd talk to em"[/COLOR]
Who says he's going to be Arabic, mother fucker? LMAO

funny shit. like i said though, ill get jacked stabbed and some broken bones before my plane gets blown up. shit id be a hero after that too, but thats not what its even about. its all survival instinct. i think terrorists need to know that hey, you dont just have to get by airports anymore... us passengers will fuck you up if you try a damn thing. 20 people will jump on you and break every bone in your body before you blow up our plane, and we will not stop beating you until we land and let you go to the cops. i say what i say because im pretty sure that if i, or anyone else, made the first move that many passengers will follow. therefore ill make that first move. ill get the jackass in an armbar and before im finished with it someone will come down on his face. if terrorists keep hearing about that happening, airplanes wont be so much of an option. go pistons lol

Anthony
08-11-2006, 12:34 AM
after 9/11 wasnt there something passed that was suposed to have 2 or 3 unidentified law agent or something like that on all flights in the US? Just incase something like that happens.

JS
08-11-2006, 01:46 AM
after 9/11 wasnt there something passed that was suposed to have 2 or 3 unidentified law agent or something like that on all flights in the US? Just incase something like that happens.

There is at least one air Marshall aboard US bound flights or flights in the US. The only problem is they are reactive roles, it's not proactive law enforcement. Meaning they cannot blow there cover unless the danger is real.

For example if a bi-polar man or person who is drunk freaks out they are to be handled by the personal on the airline that work for the airline. However if a passenger is carrying a weapon or says they have bomb then the Marshall gets involved.

In this case the Marshall would not have reacted until a threat was about to occur. It's not like the Marshall has authority to check all carry on as people get abord. The Airline people aren't to know who the Marshalls are even.

Anthony
08-11-2006, 02:16 AM
Ok. Thank you.

geerussell
08-11-2006, 09:35 AM
From the sound of it, there's nothing that air marshals or "hero" passengers could've done anyway. It would've been like "Hey, why is that dude mixing his toothpaste and his shampoo... kaboom. game over."

Just like how everyone was slow to react when the shoe bomber tried to blow up a plane. He didn't fail because of alert passengers, marshals or flight staff stopping him in the nick of time. He failed because the bomb was a dud. By the time people wondered why he was trying to light his shoe the moment had come and gone.

Sadly, a lot of people will use this as yet another excuse to give a free pass to the white house to run roughshod over our rights. Already I hear conservatives uttering phrases like "due process" with the same contempt that they use for "environment" or "peace" because you know, all those things suck and no god-fearing true american would be interested in them.

Uncle Mxy
08-11-2006, 09:36 AM
But we should pull out of Iraq and let terrorist insurgents take over there.
The current relationship between "the war on terror" and "the war on Iraq" is that we turned Iraq into a magnet and breeding ground for terrorists where it wasn't before. The much more relevant question in my mind is "should we pull out of Afghanistan", and my answer is "no".

There's lots of problems with the air marshal program, BTW. It's way too easy to play "spot the fed".

http://www.washtimes.com/national/20060806-120855-5696r.htm
http://www.wfaa.com/sharedcontent/dws/wfaa/latestnews/stories/wfaa060810_jfh_airmarshals.2432be0.html

UberAlles
08-11-2006, 07:27 PM
Influencing any country's sovereignty typically results in terrorism.

cruscott35
08-12-2006, 05:27 AM
Better our troops fight the terrorists over there, having the convine in Iraq, then to have them attack our civilians over here. That's why we sign up.

Uncle Mxy
08-12-2006, 08:19 AM
That "convene" thinking assumes a static amount of terrorists. Our efforts have resulted in creating more terrorists "over there", though, so we're not doing ourselves any favors, and not fixing the problems. That's relevant to what several prominent British Muslims are saying in the wake of the plane bombing threat:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/4786159.stm

Also, we can't realistically keep all the terrorists at our borders. Once there's enough of a critical mass and moral justification abroad, they'll turn some of your own. As evidenced by the Internet and Web and such, the world gets smaller every day. Look at the folks implicated in the plane bomb attempts born and raised in Britain.

While you're out trying to making sure our will can be imposed abroad despite terrorists, terrorists are dictating our actions at home without much sustained effort on their part. That's where the terrorists score their biggest victories. When the talk of the day is "how long before they cavity-search everyone to board a plane", it's clear we're going down a losing path.

UberAlles
08-13-2006, 10:48 AM
In the words of John Lennon, "Give Peace a chance".

Peace is not negotiated or coerced over the barrel of a gun IMO.

geerussell
08-15-2006, 11:04 AM

There's no such thing as peace without a gun barrel securing it.

UberAlles
08-15-2006, 08:08 PM
There's no such thing as peace without a gun barrel securing it. Guns don't solve violent tendencies or behaviour. All you can do is kill everyone else and end up in some kind of pathetic Oryx and Crake (Margaret Atwood) type scenario. Alone. The last of your kind. Extinction.

If you are ok with genocide, or mass murder of millions of people, then some form of temporary peace may be within reach.

The problem is that we need less bureaucrats/war mongers and more diplomats. Peace can come about through negotiation if both sides don't conspire to limit the other from prosperity.

Educated, healthy and safe people don't look to make war. The impoverished do. As Zach De LaRocha sang, "Hungry people don't stay hungry for long. They get hope from fire and smoke as the weak grow strong."

Just my 75 cents.

Uncle Mxy
08-16-2006, 04:39 PM
"Guns don't kill people. I do."

srt4b
08-17-2006, 08:06 AM

FUCK :: John Lennon and his commie ass
FUCK :: Negotiating for someone elses "peace"
FUCK :: Whiny ass muzzies
FUCK :: France
FUCK :: All organized religion
FUCK :: Every protester on the planet (18-25 y/o unemployed collage students)
FUCK :: Haliburton
FUCK :: Big Oil
FUCK :: GM/Ford/DCx
FUCK :: Democrats
FUCK :: Al Frankin
FUCK :: Republicans
FUCK :: Ann Coulter
FUCK :: [smilie=osama.gif]

geerussell
08-17-2006, 11:04 AM
Educated, healthy and safe people don't look to make war. The impoverished do.

The key word there being safe. If you convince them they aren't safe you can lead any group of people into war no matter how well educated and healthy they are.

UberAlles
08-17-2006, 07:36 PM
The key word there being safe. If you convince them they aren't safe you can lead any group of people into war no matter how well educated and healthy they are.
Oh, so that's what the US government is doing... [smilie=reporter.gi:

BYAAAAAAAAAAH!

UberAlles
08-17-2006, 07:40 PM

FUCK :: John Lennon and his commie ass
FUCK :: Negotiating for somWTFDetroit.com (http://wtfdetroit.com/forums/index.php)eone elses "peace"
FUCK :: Whiny ass muzzies
FUCK :: France
FUCK :: All organized religion
FUCK :: Every protester on the planet (18-25 y/o unemployed collage students)
FUCK :: Haliburton
FUCK :: Big Oil
FUCK :: GM/Ford/DCx
FUCK :: Democrats
FUCK :: Al Frankin
FUCK :: Republicans
FUCK :: Ann Coulter
FUCK :: [smilie=osama.gif]
I heard those collage students are building a top secret Macrame bomb, that they will unleash at multiple craft fairs worldwide in a coordinated attack.

cruscott35
08-18-2006, 01:05 AM
You're right, these Islamic fucks will leave us alone if we leave them alone.