WTFDetroit.com

View Full Version : Genetic engineering

DrRay11
07-27-2006, 10:57 AM
What are your views on it? I'm not talking merely of stem cell research, I'm talking everything -- somatic gene therapy, germline engineering, nanotechnology, the whole nine yards along with the possible "modified evolution" of the human race. What are your takes on it?

Uncle Mxy
07-27-2006, 01:09 PM
There's good, there's bad, and there's ugly.

giffman
07-27-2006, 02:01 PM
What are your views on it? I'm not talking merely of stem cell research, I'm talking everything -- somatic gene therapy, germline engineering, nanotechnology, the whole nine yards along with the possible "modified evolution" of the human race. What are your takes on it?

Dude, how am I supposed to answer your question when I don't even understand all those big words you are using?

Now, if you want to have a deep conversation about what kind of Cheetos are best, the puffy ones or the crunchy ones, I'm your man. Just let me know.

Taymelo
07-27-2006, 02:20 PM
My Not Very Well Thought Out Opinion:

I'm in favor of using technology to cure diseases and injuries.

I'm not in favor of making a half pig/half man, or cloning Elvis.

I hope that answers your question.

DrRay11
07-27-2006, 02:55 PM
I'm not in favor of making a half pig/half man, or cloning Elvis.

Are you speaking of...

Manbearpig?

http://groovy.movingtonz.com/images/algore.jpg

But seriously though... I'm for somatic gene therapy, which is inserting new genes after birth (still uses stem cells, I think) in order to cure disease, and they're making a bit of progress here, I believe. Germline engineering is modification of the human embryonic DNA where the possibilities are endless. Diseases can be cured by this, yes -- but physical attributes from height, eye color, metabolic activity, etc could be altered as well as mental attributes like IQ. Where is the line drawn? When does a cure become enhancement? That's why I think the only way to go is with somatic therapy where the modification is done after birth and you won't be able to enhance a human in such a way that germline engineering allows.

Glenn
07-27-2006, 03:01 PM
^words

Black Dynamite
07-27-2006, 04:24 PM
I'm for people getting sick like their supposed to rather than just up and dying because of a glitch in their manmade gene composition.

Its a shame how much people can't find content in life as it is and just work on improving the environment rather than the biological make up of the people.

DrRay11
07-27-2006, 04:36 PM
I'm for people getting sick like their supposed to rather than just up and dying because of a glitch in their manmade gene composition.

Its a shame how much people can't find content in life as it is and just work on improving the environment rather than the biological make up of the people.

Right-o. Nice av btw.

Taymelo
07-27-2006, 04:37 PM
I'm for giving special genetic powers to Gutz, to utilize as he sees fit, in order to enhance the Champagne Room experience.