WTFDetroit.com

View Full Version : Questions about vBadvanced

bangpow
07-23-2006, 07:31 PM
I just thought I would ask you guys a couple questions about how you like vBadvanced for your front page. I like the software I am using for my site, but the one site that was doing mods for it aren't doing them anymore. So, I am pondering a switch to either a vBulletin forum or an Invision Power Board forum.

So, let me ask about vBa.

I really like the schedule block you have on the right hand side. Is that a custom block or is it available for DL? I don't want to jack it or anything, I just think it's a cool block and wonder if there are others like it.

Are you able to post news stories in the forums and have them show up on the front page? If so, can you set the permissions for individuals to have the ability to post to the front page?

Are there a lot of mods, blocks, and modules available for vbAdvanced?

If you guys could answer these, it would be of great help.

Thanks.

Anthony
07-24-2006, 12:30 AM
Shit. If only I knew more PHP I would be all over offering to keep your site up.

Anthony
07-24-2006, 12:31 AM
Actually, what kind of scripts does your page use? Database? A forum to keep the front page updated?

bangpow
07-24-2006, 12:17 PM
Actually, what kind of scripts does your page use? Database? A forum to keep the front page updated?

My site uses the PHP software, Nuke-Evolution. Which is based on PHP-Nuke, but apparently they've done some pretty extensive edits to how the software runs and it's been very secure. I don't think it's been hacked yet, to be quite honest, except through an exploit through a "third-party" vWar hack, but it was quickly fixed by the Evo staff.

The Mod site, Evo-Mods.com (http://www.Evo-Mods.com) site is actually back up, though. The mods aren't being developed right now because they just released Evo 2.0.0 RC1 and I guess some of the mods haven't been working right. Basically they take PHP-Nuke mods and convert them over to work with Evo. The whole Evo project is actually quite impressive, but I was getting frustrated with how slow the mods were coming out. But I might stick with it since I just got a key mod to work on my site last night.

The front page "portal" works similar to vBulletins, I think, and from what I read about the portals available for vBulletin, I don't think they are as different as I originally thought.

And FWIW, I really don't know all that much about HTML or PHP, but over the last 2 years i've been able to start to figure things out a bit and make minor mods myself here and there.

Matt
07-24-2006, 12:32 PM
check your PMs, bangpow.

no, really, check 'em :)