WTFDetroit.com

View Full Version : Lions fined Mike Williams over $400K last year

Glenn
07-20-2006, 10:19 PM
http://www.mlive.com/sports/statewide/index.ssf?/base/sports-1/1153352414130770.xml&coll=1

Mike Williams fined more than $400,000 last year

Thursday, July 20, 2006
By Tom Kowalski

Mike Williams signed a hefty contract with the Detroit Lions as a first-round draft pick last year, but the wide receiver was forced to give some of that money right back.

According to a source close to the situation, Williams was fined more than $400,000 last year for violating team rules, mostly for arriving late to meetings and being overweight.

Williams, the 10th overall draft choice, signed a five-year, $13.5 million contract (with $9.5 million guaranteed) last Aug. 1, but had to return some of it immediately because of the fines. Williams was chronically late for morning meetings during training camp and was also out of shape.

According to terms of the NFL's Collective Bargaining Agreement, the Lions could impose a maximum penalty of $457 per pound per day that Williams was overweight. Also, the team could fine a player $9,300 each time he was late for a meeting. Those fines could also be doubled and tripled for repeat violations.

It is unknown how many times Williams was late, or how much and how long he was overweight, but then-head coach Steve Mariucci imposed heavy fines to try to rectify the situation.

It apparently hasn't helped. During the first mandatory three-day minicamp this spring under new head coach Rod Marinelli, Williams was sent home for the final two days after he was late for a meeting and a rehabilitation session for his sore hamstring. It is not known if Williams was fined for those infractions.

Lions spokesman Bill Keenist said Wednesday the club would not comment and Williams was unavailable. Players report to training camp next Thursday. Camp opens on July 28.

Because last year's fines were imposed after taxes, Williams had to "earn" more than $600,000 to pay the fines. Williams made $230,000 in salary last year and is scheduled to make $350,000 in salary this season so, not counting the bonus money, Williams will be playing for free in his first two seasons.

In an ESPN.com story last season, Michael Smith wrote that Williams had either missed or was late for at least 10 training camp meetings. Williams denied the story at the time, saying, "I was late to a couple meetings in the preseason, got fined, big deal. They asked where I was. Well, I overslept . . . It's not a chronic problem. I guarantee there's nobody in football that could be late to 10 meetings or be absent to any kind of amount of meetings and not be suspended."

Because of the constant violations, Williams could have been fined and/or suspended by the Lions for "conduct detrimental to the team" but the club never took that step.

However, Williams was late so often the team encouraged him to move closer to the Allen Park practice facility, which he did. During training camp last year, Williams lived about 30 minutes north of the facility but, during the season, he moved to a residence within a half-mile of the building.

Williams could have some difficulty making the Lions roster this season. Roy Williams and Corey Bradford are expected to be the starting wide receivers with Mike Furrey in the slot and No. 3 position. Because of his kick return abilities, Eddie Drummond will fill the No. 6 receiver spot.

That leaves Charles Rogers, Scottie Vines, Glenn Martinez and Mike Williams to battle for the final two roster spots at No. 4 and No. 5 on the depth chart.

Mike Williams will have to show up on time during this training camp if he hopes to make the team -- or any money. The fines this season have been increased to roughly $582 per pound per day for being overweight and about $11,000 for being late to a meeting.

Artis Gilmore
07-20-2006, 10:24 PM
Wonderful.

Matt
07-20-2006, 10:53 PM
what an idiot.

be on time and stay in shape. i guess the rigors of the professional athlete are too much nowadays.

now he has to basically play for free next season? if the threat of being fined couldn't motivate him, how's playing for free going motivate him? sounds like they picked a winner.

Jethro34
07-20-2006, 11:17 PM
So if you read that carefully, between Rogers, Mike Williams and Scottie Vines (I'm pretty much counting Martinez out even though he's an SVSU alum) - one of them will be cut. Vines by name sounds like the choice, but before you write him off quickly keep in mind that he was 3rd on the team last season in both receptions and receiving yardage in spite of not playing the first 3 games. The only downside is that he has never scored and NFL TD.

Artis Gilmore
07-21-2006, 12:26 AM
WTF? Why on fucking earth would Bradford be ahead of Rogers(our best reciver if the fagit queer form Oregon would ever throw the fucking ball to him) on the depth chart?

I hate this fucking coach. I'm saying a 2-14 season.

Hank in Chains
07-21-2006, 05:17 AM
I remember when Mel Kiper said Mike Williams was the best fucking player in the entire 2004 draft.

Damn Mel... what were you smoking when you made that prediction? [smilie=bullshit.gi:

Tahoe
07-21-2006, 07:28 PM
Now...maybe...we know why he fell to us.

stonecolddano
07-24-2006, 05:25 PM
Completely worthless....I have never screamed at a TV as much as I did last year when I watched him drop every downfield pass that was thrown at him. Didn't they say he had some of the greatest hands out of USC?

WTFchris
07-25-2006, 11:56 AM
I remember when Mel Kiper said Mike Williams was the best fucking player in the entire 2004 draft.

Damn Mel... what were you smoking when you made that prediction? [smilie=bullshit.gi:

I never believed that hype. I was yelling at the TV for Jammal Brown, while everyone else yelled for Derrick Johnson.

Artis Gilmore
07-25-2006, 01:00 PM
I was stoked when we got Williams.....

[smilie=anxious.gif]

Moodini31
07-25-2006, 05:04 PM

[smilie=anxious.gif]

Yeah, so did I. I actually tackled FillyCheezeSteak and spilled pizza sauce on PolishSausage's carpet. I was jacked!

I guess I didn't know he was going to be cursed be the Honolulu blue, get lazy, balloon to about 270, and run a 4.8 40.

I can't really hate on Millen too much because I was loving the picks of Charles Rogers, Roy Williams, Kevin Jones, and Mike Williams. I'm glad I don't have to take all the heat that Millen does, because I was feeling those cats and would have done the same thing if I had his job.

Zekyl
07-25-2006, 05:27 PM

[smilie=anxious.gif]
I guess I didn't know he was going to be cursed be the Honolulu blue, get lazy, balloon to about 270, and run a 4.8 40.

He had a rep for being overweight and a bit lazy before he came out. Everyone blamed it on him being out of college for a year, but he was the same way when he was at USC.

I can't really hate on Millen too much because I was loving the picks of Charles Rogers, Roy Williams, Kevin Jones, and Mike Williams. I'm glad I don't have to take all the heat that Millen does, because I was feeling those cats and would have done the same thing if I had his job.

I agree on all the pics but Mike Williams. I thought he was going to be good, but I thought we already had two young big-name recievers and another one wasn't needed. I thought we should have traded down or taken Derrick Johnson, Merriman, or Thomas Davis.

Artis Gilmore
07-25-2006, 06:25 PM

[smilie=anxious.gif]

Yeah, so did I. I actually tackled FillyCheezeSteak and spilled pizza sauce on PolishSausage's carpet. I was jacked!

[smilie=rofl.gif]