WTFDetroit.com

View Full Version : Roethlisberger injured in motorcycle crash

Glenn
06-12-2006, 01:24 PM
FUCK!!

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AvDMMn3YjEREFjIhFiOZzVFDubYF?slug=ap-steelers-roethlisberger-motorcycleaccident&prov=ap&type=lgns

Roethlisberger injured in motorcycle crash

PITTSBURGH (AP) -- Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger was injured in a motorcycle crash Monday morning and taken to a hospital.
"He was alert and conscious," said Ernie Roman, shift commander for the Allegheny County emergency service.

Steelers Dave Lockett, outside Mercy Hospital, confirmed the accident but did not provide additional details.

In only his second year in the NFL, Roethlisberger helped guide the Steelers to the Super Bowl championship last season.

Calls to Roethlisberger's agent, Leigh Steinberg, were not immediately returned.

The 24-year-old Roethlisberger has said in the past that he prefers not to wear a helmet when riding his motorcycle. He has pointed out Pennsylvania's 35-year-old state law requiring helmets to be worn was amended to make helmets optional.

In May 2005, Steelers coach Bill Cowher lectured Roethlisberger on the dangers of riding without a helmet.

"He talked about being a risk-taker and I'm not really a risk-taker. I'm pretty conservative and laid back, but the big thing is to just be careful," Roethlisberger said at the time. "I'll just continue to be careful. I told him we don't ever ride alone, we always ride in a group of people, and I think it makes it even more safe."

Glenn
06-12-2006, 01:28 PM
http://kdka.com/topstories/local_story_163114722.html

Big Ben Injured In Motorcycle Accident

Pittsburgh Steelers Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger is being treated at Mercy Hospital this afternoon after a motorcycle accident on Second Avenue near the 10th Street Bridge.

Eyewitnesses tell KDKA that Roethlisberger had a green light and was headed eastbound when a car turned into his path around 11:30am.

Witnesses say he flew over the handlebars and struck his head on the windshield of the car.

According to witnesses, Roethlisberger was not wearing a helmet and appeared to have head and facial injuries.

The witness tells KDKA he said his name was Ben and he seemed groggy.

Officials are not yet commenting on his condition; but Pittsburgh Police Lieutenant Kevin Kraus says city police are investigating the accident -- as they do any accident involving "critical" injuries.

The driver of the car -- which had Maine license plates -- left the scene with police officers.

At this point, it's not clear if any charges will be filed.

http://img.viacomlocalnetworks.com/images_sizedimage_163114652/lg

Varsity
06-12-2006, 02:02 PM
WOOOOW. Kellen, you've been trumped..Ben was what? A year from a huge extension?

Glenn
06-12-2006, 02:05 PM
The scary part is that ESPN is saying that "the injuries do not appear to be life threatening". Sounds like it's pretty bad if that needs to be said at all.

From a football perspective, I hope they have better plans than Charlie Batch. Omar Jacobs? DANGER DANGER!

Hermy
06-12-2006, 02:16 PM
serious but stable condition...headed into surgery.

Gecko
06-12-2006, 03:12 PM
early word...lacerations, broken jaw, lost most teeth and worst of all...severley injured both Knees. Plastic surgeon in on surgery.

:P

DrRay11
06-12-2006, 03:37 PM
Oh my God... That's terrible.

Glenn
06-12-2006, 03:38 PM
One of my favorite players, but what a fucking idiot.

He should be glad he got his ring and that he's alive to remember it.

He very well might be done if things are as bad as they sound.

Kstat
06-12-2006, 04:01 PM
There should have been a law requiring him to wear a helmet.

I'm relieved. He actually survived this. His career might be over, but that's almost a given in motorcycles collisions. He's alive, and that makes him one lucky bastard.

stonecolddano
06-12-2006, 04:09 PM
That fuckin sucks...make Polomalu the QB now...please, anybody but beeotch.

DennyMcLain
06-12-2006, 05:11 PM
http://espn-att.starwave.com/photo/2006/0612/nfl_a_roethlisberger_275.jpghttp://espn-att.starwave.com/photo/2006/0612/nfl_a_roethlisbergerbike_275.jpg

Fucking genuis!

What IS that... a Hayabusa???

DennyMcLain
06-12-2006, 05:15 PM
"...Roethlisberger has said in the past that he prefers not to wear a helmet. He has pointed out Pennsylvania's 35-year-old state law requiring helmets to be worn was amended to make helmets optional...."

#$@% Pennsylvania.

JS
06-12-2006, 05:17 PM
Broken Jaw seems to be as bad as it gets. John Clayton sounded like he dodged a bullet and will be ready at the start of the season.

DrRay11
06-12-2006, 06:45 PM
It would be great for Ben if all it is is a broken jaw and not career-ending leg issues. Just for the sake of him being a local product, I hope he's alright to play sometime again...

Kstat
06-12-2006, 06:56 PM
He also lost almost all of this teeth....

the wrath of diddy
06-12-2006, 07:50 PM
For his sake I hope he gets traded to a team like Indianapolis where nobody will notice that.

Glenn
06-13-2006, 02:57 PM
No license.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2482306

Report: Roethlisberger didn't have motorcycle license

ESPN.com news services

Ben Roethlisberger might have been riding without a license to drive a motorcycle when he was involved in an accident Monday.
Pittsburgh television station KDKA reported Tuesday that police are checking whether the Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback had a license.

Roethlisberger was riding this motorcycle when he collided with an automobile in Pittsburgh on Monday morning.

Sources told the TV station that Roethlisberger had a license to operate a car but has never had a Pennsylvania motorcycle license.
Roethlisberger had a learner's permit to operate a motorcycle that expired March 29 but had never taken the written and driving tests for a motorcycle license, a source told KDKA.

Pittsburgh police spokeswoman Tammy Ewin told the station that police would "have no comment on licensing issues" until after the accident investigation.

Roethlisberger, the youngest quarterback to lead a team to the Super Bowl championship, had surgery Monday after breaking his jaw and nose in a motorcycle crash.

Roethlisberger remained in serious but stable condition after seven hours of surgery, according to Dr. Daniel Pituch, chief of oral and maxillofacial surgery at Mercy Hospital.

"He suffered multiple facial fractures," Pituch said. "All of the fractures were successfully repaired. His brain, spine, chest and abdomen appear to be without serious injury. And there are no other confirmed injuries at this time."

The doctors declined to release further information at the family's request.

ESPN.com's John Clayton confirmed that Roethlisberger also suffered a 9-inch laceration to the back of his head, has lost or chipped a number of teeth and has minor injuries to his knees from hitting the pavement.

Roethlisberger, 24, was not wearing a helmet, police said. He has said he likes to ride without one, a habit that once prompted a lecture from Pittsburgh coach Bill Cowher.

In May 2005, Cowher warned him about safe riding after Cleveland Browns tight end Kellen Winslow Jr. was injured in a motorcycle accident. Winslow tore knee ligaments and was lost for the season.

Roethlisberger has pointed out a Pennsylvania state law requiring helmets was amended in September 2003 to make helmets optional.

Fool
06-13-2006, 03:27 PM
Risking your soon to be mega-contract from pro football for some shits and giggles on a motorized bicycle and risking injury, paralysis, and even death, for the sake of not messing up your already poorly maintained hair style I can understand. But dude was riding without a licence? I mean shit, that fines like a couple hundy.

I suppose there's more than one reason the guy's an athlete and not a scholar.

Unibomber
06-13-2006, 09:23 PM
Agreed with Fool. Count Big Ben in with the numerous dumbasses the NFL is producing lately.

The best thing he can possibly do is get his mug fixed, stop fucking riding motorcycles, and pour some $ into educating kids about the dangers of the road. Everyone will forgive him then.

Except fans of the Bengals, Browns, and Ravens.

H1Man
06-13-2006, 11:28 PM
A look at Roethlisberger's injuries

Injuries sustained by Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, according to Dr. Larry M. Jones, chief of trauma at Mercy Hospital:

• fractures to his upper and lower jaws
• mild concussion
• fractured nose
• fractured facial bones
• multiple head lacerations
• multiple abrasions and contusions
• lost two teeth
• chipped several teeth
• no evidence of major structural damage to knees
• CT scan of brain showed no injury
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5692430

DennyMcLain
06-14-2006, 12:21 AM
Agreed with Fool. Count Big Ben in with the numerous dumbasses the NFL is producing lately.

The best thing he can possibly do is get his mug fixed, stop fucking riding motorcycles, and pour some $ into educating kids about the dangers of the road. Everyone will forgive him then.

Except fans of the Bengals, Browns, and Ravens.

I'm sure Carson Palmer is wondering WTF?

Tahoe
06-14-2006, 12:37 AM
BTW...fuck helmet laws! Let Darwin take over.

Tahoe
06-14-2006, 12:41 AM
Good luck to Ben.

UxKa
06-14-2006, 01:46 PM
shitty because it sounds like the old lady turned in front of him. im surprised the media hasnt murdered him on his saying he only rides harleys. that was a fukn hayabusa and for anybody who doesnt know, heres a link to just a small clip of how badass these bikes are:

http://www.virob.com/virob/videos/439.html

notice how when the front wheel FINALLY sets down at 140mph (!!!) the acceleration increases, and how long the guy is still accellerating once the speedometer is pinned.

Fool
06-14-2006, 03:00 PM
If the old lady turned into his lifted V12 4X4 with 66inch tires, it'd be "shitty" for the old lady.

Comrade
06-14-2006, 06:15 PM
shitty because it sounds like the old lady turned in front of him. im surprised the media hasnt murdered him on his saying he only rides harleys. that was a fukn hayabusa and for anybody who doesnt know, heres a link to just a small clip of how badass these bikes are:

notice how when the front wheel FINALLY sets down at 140mph (!!!) the acceleration increases, and how long the guy is still accellerating once the speedometer is pinned.
That's just ridiculous. Imagine if that guy hit a bump or a pothole, he'd disintegrate.

Tahoe
06-14-2006, 06:44 PM
The bike he was on sounds like the crotch rocket of all crotch rockets ever made too.

UxKa
06-14-2006, 07:12 PM
they are the mother of all crotch rockets. but in all honesty, as someone who doesnt like crotch rockets, i would totally own a busa (and kill myself lol).

Tahoe
06-14-2006, 07:47 PM
If the link works, this will be my next chasis. Not into speed, just cruising.

Remote file uploads have been disabled. Oh well...I tried.

DennyMcLain
06-14-2006, 10:42 PM

Was is a Hayabusa? I knew it. Kinda looked like an older GSX-R Suzuki chassis, but too much body cladding. But the shit NOW is the Ninja ZX-14. Jesus fucking christ. Between that, the GSX-R liter, and the R1, I'm surprised we're not seeing more athletes biting eating tarmac!

UxKa
06-14-2006, 11:47 PM
not sure of the exact specs, but it was a 2005 busa. sorry im not too up on bikes, didnt know about the ninja, but either way busas kick some ass.

Tahoe
06-15-2006, 12:13 AM

Could that possibly be KPM's or whatever it is. 140 that quick? And the trees aren't as blurry as I'd expect. Or would 140 KPM's mean the bike would be going even faster?

I just found a conversion site and if I did it right, he would have set it down at 140kpm/90mph. That is a little more reasonable. But a bad ass fucking bike whatever the speed.

Tahoe
06-15-2006, 12:17 AM
Nope I was wrong. 140 is about 225kph...and looking real close at the speedometer, thats what it show.

Un fucking believable.

UxKa
06-15-2006, 12:09 PM
yeah if you look at the inner ring of numbers, well you cant read them, but you can tell they hit triple digits before the outer ring. so yeah, the numbers we can read are the mph. if you want to see some videos of a guy that is nuts but doesnt do tricks, look around for ghostrider clips. he flies through traffic in europe (sweden i think) like nobodys buisness, toys with cops, races cars through traffic, and rides a modded turbo busa.

WTFchris
06-16-2006, 02:55 PM
I can't believe he said all that stuff about only riding choppers and doing it to relax and cruise. Then he wrecks a crotch rocket, without a license even. Big fat liar.

Darth Thanatos
06-16-2006, 06:06 PM
Ben rides girly bikes. hahaha

I hope he fee;s better soon.

Glenn
06-19-2006, 11:52 AM
HaHa, they got him on a technicality for the helmet charge. You only are allowed to ride without one if you have a valid licence, LMAO.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/football/nfl/06/19/bc.fbn.roethlisbergerac.ap/index.html?cnn=yes

Roethlisberger to be cited

Steelers QB had wrong license, didn't wear helmet

Posted: Monday June 19, 2006 10:25AM; Updated: Monday June 19, 2006 10:38AM

PITTSBURGH (AP) -- Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger will be cited for failure to wear a helmet and not having a motorcycle license after an accident last week left him with a concussion, broken jaw and nose.

Roethlisberger and the driver of the car he crashed into on June 12 both had the green light, but the driver of the vehicle will be cited for failing to yield, police said Monday.

Only licensed cyclists can ride without a helmet in Pennsylvania.

Roethlisberger was traveling 35 mph in a posted 35 mph zone, said officer Dan Connolly. There were no mechanical problems with either vehicle, he said.

Police Chief Dominic Costa said the woman driving the car had received some threatening phone calls, which police were investigating.