WTFDetroit.com

View Full Version : Greg Jennings & Tony Scheffler

H1Man
04-29-2006, 09:17 PM
Congratulations to the two Broncos. [smilie=drunk22.gif]

Greg Jennings (WR) was drafted by the Packers in the 2nd round (Pick # 52). And Tony Scheffler (TE) was drafted by the Broncos later in the 2nd round with pick # 61.

Glenn
05-01-2006, 04:28 PM
What does it say when two players from Western Michigan are drafted before (well before) any player from the University of Michigan?

Train Wreck
05-06-2006, 10:47 PM
That Michigan is going to be damn good next year because they really didn't lose anyone to the NFL......

Darth Thanatos
05-09-2006, 01:54 PM
I bet their Wonderlic scores sucked.

ZING!

H1Man
05-14-2006, 06:27 PM
Couple updates from the Packers mini-camp.

It's only a minicamp. It was only the first day. But wide receiver Greg Jennings, one of the Green Bay Packers' second-round draft picks, looked smooth and fluid with some quickness and burst in and out of his cuts. One of the prettiest plays of the day came in 7-on-7 when Brett Favre hit Jennings on a hook route. With veteran cornerback Charles Woodson in coverage, Jennings drove hard upfield and then worked back for the ball. "He looked to be very natural," said coach Mike McCarthy. "He had bump-and-run and we refer to the technique as a speed move where he has to adjust his route off his weight and cross the face of the DB. I almost had to look and check his number. I thought it was Donald (Driver). (Jennings) came snapping out of it and caught the ball in stride and turned it right up. Watching him catching punts, very natural. I think we were right on that one."

Simply because of the position he plays, wide receiver Greg Jennings jumped out as much as any draft pick. He’s fluid. He has some burst. He seems to have a natural feel for the game. And he seemed to catch everything that was thrown to him and always with his hands away from his body. There was a drill Sunday where four quarterbacks, spread across the field, were throwing passes to four or five receivers. On one, Jennings ran a deep pattern behind tight end Bubba Franks and spotted the wrong ball. He thought the pass to Franks was his and started coming back to it. But at the last moment, he realized his mistake, changed direction and effortlessly plucked the ball out of the air. His hands aren’t Terry Glenn quick, but they might be the closest thing to it since Glenn was with the Packers in 2002.

H1Man
06-02-2006, 06:20 PM
Catching fire
Snub by Michigan set Jennings ablaze

Greg Jennings has been everything the Green Bay Packers had hoped he'd be when they drafted him in the second round in April.

Quick, strong, smart and in the mix as both a punt and kick returner, the 5-foot-11, 197-pounder from Western Michigan has shown no signs in his month with the team that the game in the National Football League is too big for him.

But there was a time when there were those who had their doubts about his ability to perform at even the Division I college level.

A native of Kalamazoo, Mich., Jennings earned second team all-state honors after his junior year at Kalamazoo Central and, as a result, a number of schools were expressing interest in his services.

Michigan State, Purdue and Wisconsin were among those calling but once Michigan entered the picture, his recruitment was over. A lifelong Wolverines fan, Jennings orally committed to Michigan without so much as taking a visit anywhere else.

"I went to every game, they were keeping in contact, calling me, 'Greg, are you coming up? We just wanted to know,' " Jennings recalled Thursday. "I was no longer on recruiting visits (to Ann Arbor)."

That all changed, though, by the end of Jennings' senior year.

For reasons unbeknown to him, coach Lloyd Carr and his staff began distancing themselves from Jennings.

"I never had to call them. They just stopped calling me," he said. "Then I called them and they were kind of standoffish, like, 'Well, you can come up, but . . .' and I was, like, 'But? I've never heard that before. Where is that coming from?' "

Eventually, with less than a month to go before national signing day, Jennings took the hint and started looking elsewhere. Problem was, none of the other Big Ten schools that had pursued him had room for him.

"I burned my bridges," he said. "I called Michigan State and couldn't get in up there. They had already used up all their scholarships. Wisconsin had already used all theirs. Purdue was the only one who kind of had one half-scholarship left but I didn't want a half-scholarship. Then it was, like, 'OK, forget it. Let's go to the (Mid-American Conference).' "

Jennings' first visit was to Eastern Michigan, and that's where he expected to sign. But after reconsidering he visited and signed with Western Michigan, his hometown university.

"I literally did not want to be there on my visit. It was home for me," Jennings said. "Then the next morning I woke up and all of a sudden I wanted to go to Western. It was crazy."

And over the course of four seasons, all Jennings did was rewrite Western Michigan's record books.

After redshirting in 2001 and missing four games in 2002 with a broken left ankle, Jennings went on to set all-time records for the Broncos with 238 catches, 3,539 yards, 39 touchdowns and 5,093 all-purpose yards.

Jennings also became just the 11th player in NCAA Division I history to record three 1,000-yard receiving seasons.

"(Michigan's snub) drove me. And looking back on it I wouldn't do it any differently, knowing how hard I had to work and what it took for me to get to this point," he said. "A lot of times when you go to that bigger school that's more publicized and things like that, you're spoon-fed. Everything is pretty much given to you and it's up to you to just go out there and do a couple of things and you're there.

"That's one of the things I didn't want, to be given an opportunity."

Despite his incredible collegiate productivity, Jennings' 4.53-second time in the 40-yard dash and small-school pedigree likely hurt him on draft day.

As it turned out Jennings was the fourth wide receiver taken, at No. 52 overall, by the Packers, who overlooked his relatively small stature - a general no-no in coach Mike McCarthy's version of the West Coast offense - and instead focused on his productivity and return ability.

"All the talk about the small school, all that's done and over with. It's time to just go out there, play ball," he said. "I'm at the level of play that I wanted to get to; it's the highest level there is. It's all up to me now to go out there and prove everybody wrong."

With likely No. 3 receiver Rod Gardner not present thus far at the Packers' organized team activities, Jennings has received plenty of opportunities at the line of scrimmage and done well, according to offensive coordinator Jeff Jagodzinski.

"He stands out," he said. "He's really smooth. He's what we thought he would be. The game doesn't seem like it's too big for him. He does some things where you go, 'Wow.' He flashes. But he's young."

Added McCarthy: "I think he's been able to pick up the scheme. You don't see him making too many mental errors. He has the ability to separate."

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=430750

Unibomber
06-02-2006, 06:50 PM
Greg Jennings appears to be this year's offensive version of Lofa Tatupu.

Hopefully he gets the starting #2 slot and makes an impact. Sounds like he damn well should.

theMUHMEshow
06-08-2006, 09:59 AM
Mother F'r. We could have used Jennings last year. F'n Lloyd. I wonder who their "stud" was that they were going after instead of giving Jennings the scholarship.

Excellent find man...good read.

Varsity
06-08-2006, 10:19 AM
Mother F'r. We could have used Jennings last year. F'n Lloyd. I wonder who their "stud" was that they were going after instead of giving Jennings the scholarship.

We probably could have used their defense too :)

theMUHMEshow
06-08-2006, 10:20 AM

We probably could have used their defense too :)
LMAO