WTFDetroit.com

View Full Version : Trading down...

BIG BEN'S FRO
04-26-2006, 05:11 PM
I am almost certain that if Williams, Hawk, and Huff are gone, the Lions will trade down. In fact, I am almost thinking this will be the likely scenario. I don't really believe that Vernon Davis is going to be taken so high. Yes his times were sick, but San Fransisco would be much smarter to take Huff themselves or Hawk if available. They would just have a much greater impact overall on the team.

If anyone takes Davis, it could be a suprise move by the Packers, who would be great to play in Green Bay's WCO. If they could somehow secure Walker, they would have a great offense with those WRs, Davis, and Favre.

Assuming that the Titans take one of Young or Leinart, the other will probably fall to Oakland. That will leave only Cutler remaining for Arizona and Minnesota, the two other teams really looking for a QB. We could negotiate with them like we did to get Roy Williams. Either Arizona would give us their second to move up a pick, or we hold Minnesota for a King's ransom. At #17, it would probably be their first, one of their seconds, and a 3rd or 4th.

If Williams goes to the Saints, Hawk to GB, and Huff to the 49ers, this has to be our best option. Your thoughts?

JS
04-26-2006, 05:47 PM
I would agree but IMO you need to have something desireable on the board for a team to trade up for so we can trade down. The only guy that teams are so hot and heavy on is Justice. I think the talent after the 8th pick not including Davis but rather Huff as that guy in the top 8, the talent is still very good but failrly even.

In my mock I did for our contest I have Huff going to the 49ers, mainly because as you said I can't see Davis going 6th, plus the 49ers have a second first where they could draft Lewis from UCLA to play TE. TE traditionally is not a position that is going to win that many games. If Huff is the playmaker everyone says he is, he does have the ability to change games and win a few. The 49ers of old were built by drafting Lott. Mike Nolan is a defensive minded coach if he has pull he will go with Huff. I had Justice being the 9th pick thinking Philly might trade up, I think he is the guy everyone is drooling over who is picking 10th and down. Although I didn't gamble in my mock, I could see Justice being the Bills pick at 8. If that happens it might be a tough sell trading the 9th pick.

As far as your point about Cutler, our best bet is Minny on that front. I don't think there is urgency by the Cards and Green to have to use a 1st to get a QB. I really think they are happy with Warner and feel that they can get just as a good QB to work with in the second or third round. Minny on the otherhand needs a franchise QB and have the extra picks to make a move.

Gecko
04-26-2006, 05:50 PM
I am almost certain that if Williams, Hawk, and Huff are gone, the Lions will trade down. In fact, I am almost thinking this will be the likely scenario. I don't really believe that Vernon Davis is going to be taken so high. Yes his times were sick, but San Fransisco would be much smarter to take Huff themselves or Hawk if available. They would just have a much greater impact overall on the team.

if Williams goes to the Saints, Hawk to GB, and Huff to the 49ers, this has to be our best option. Your thoughts?

Sounds plausible if you ask me. If those players are gone the next group of players they would be looking to target IMHO would be Jimmy Williams, Winston Justice, Eric Winston, Ernie Simms or maybe Watson/Bunkely. I would be certain you could grab one of them between picks 10 and 17. I would be for trading down if they at least got someone I mentioned above with an additional pick in the first few rounds.

MoTown
04-26-2006, 05:51 PM
I think if we can't get Vernon Davis, the best bet is to go with Santonio Holmes. He's a can't-miss receiver - Millen won't be able to contain himself.

In all honesty, I think you have the best idea possible for the Lions. That said, there is ZERO chance that will happen because it would be considered intelligent.

Glenn
04-27-2006, 09:10 AM
I've been an advocate of trading down from #9 for a while now.

To me, if you aren't going for a skill player or a "stone cold lock" of a stud at another position, then somebody that needs a skill player might be willing to come up from later in the 1st with an additional pick or two.

I haven't thought this all the way through, but what about trading up?

Specifically, for Ferguson.

I've read (we probably all have) that the Saints are desperate to get out of the #2 slot. I've also read that they really want Jay Cutler, but obviously won't take him at 2.

Do you think we could send them #9 and something else (Charles Rogers comes to mind) to move up to #2 to take Ferguson? Then if everything goes as the Saints hope, they could take Cutler at #9.

As I said, I haven't really thought this all the way through, but I wanted to throw it out there for opinions.

I haven't been following this as closely as I normally do, so it's possible that something like this has already been discussed here/in the media.

defrocked
04-27-2006, 09:49 AM
http://detroitnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060427/SPORTS0101/604270338/1004/SPORTS

I think we all know not to trust anything anyone says before the draft, but it's being talked about as a possibility. Lions could find themselves in a decent spot Saturday. Still, I want to come out of this draft with impact players ready to make a difference this year. I think trading down may work against that, and I'm usually one in favor of trading down for multiple picks.

BIG BEN'S FRO
04-27-2006, 09:58 AM
I am going to go on a limb and say that the only reason that Millen would make a comment like that is because they know there is at least a decent chance that one of the top QBs slips to them. In my eyes, this means to me that the Lions know that the Jets aren't going to take a QB, leaving Oakland as the only party outside of the Titans who are likely to take one. If by any chance Oakland doesn't take one, we are going to be in an incredible position to trade. Of course, that might haunt us, but Millen made his decision when he signed 2 QBs before the draft.

Glenn
04-27-2006, 10:23 AM
From that article...

"We have three quarterbacks on our roster we like."

Orlovsky, King and Harrington, right?

Gecko
04-27-2006, 04:34 PM
Wow 7 whole posts today on the anything related to the NFL draft that is coming up in 2 days.

You guys are pathetic. Stop playing tiddly winks in the gaming forum and discuss something worthwhile.

WTFchris
04-27-2006, 06:02 PM
It would cost too much to go up to #2. Remember we got a second rounder for moving down one pick with Cleveland. I think we could move up with GB if Ferguson is still there though. They could simply get Simms at our pick, or Justice, and they could really use an extra pick, not to mention a WR from us (Walker is probably gone).