WTFDetroit.com

View Full Version : Lions Off-Season Thread

H1Man
04-11-2006, 11:54 PM
Lions, Marinelli Hit the Field
Team Holds First Practice During Three-Day Voluntary Mini-Camp

The Rod Marinelli era has begun.

The Detroit Lions took the practice field today in their first mini-camp of the 2006 offseason and their first under Marinelli and his coaching staff.

The practice – the first of four over a three-day span – gave the first-time head coach the opportunity to get acquainted with his veteran players on a playing level and establish his way of doing things as the 2006 season approaches.

“It was fun,” said Marinelli. “It was really important. The most important thing was to get things established that I wanted to get established."

Marinelli was brought in to help this Detroit team get out of a slump that has plagued the club in recent years. His main solution is to take his players back to the roots of football and focus attention toward what happens on the field.

“Fundamentals are everything,” Marinelli said. “The tempo you want, the way you want things done and fundamentals.

“We had a long individual period today – [to] teach men how to play football. That’s very important. Coaches just love that period where they can get all of their drill work in, the fundamentals, the progressions of fundamentals that relate to our game.”

The individual players have been participating in offseason workouts for the last few weeks, with the coaching staff involved heavily in their development. In addition to workouts, the players have gone through position-group meetings and began learning their playbooks.

Today, however, Marinelli had the opportunity to see his players operate as a unit on the practice field instead of broken up into individual workouts.

"What I'm looking for now is when fatigue starts to set in,” Marinelli said. “Can you focus? Can you play one snap at a time? Can you communicate when you are tired? Those are really important ingredients that have to show up in fourth quarter games and road games when things aren't right and aren't comfortable.

“Can we do those little things, can we stress our tempo? Can we communicate under duress?"

Since Marinelli arrived in Detroit he has done nothing but stress the importance of fundamentals and teaching while searching for a high-quality football mentality in all of his players. He put those goals into action in his first practice as a head coach and his focus is unwavering.

“I just worry about what we’ve got to teach and we just make sure that we explain that,” said Marinelli in regards to whether old habits within his players need to be broken. “We had long meetings this morning, it’s been a day of meetings. That’s all part of it: how to meet; how to retain information; how to communicate information and to get on the field and see if we can do it. That was today.”

In moving forward over the next two days of the camp, Marinelli is looking to continue his attitude of working hard and developing as a football team.

“Again, each day now is just a little bit better,” said Marinelli. “I want the progress. We talked in detail about how hard we want to play and knowing what to do, (knowing) fundamentals and how to finish because those are all of the untalented issues and that’s the thing that I’m stressing.”

Old Habits Die Hard

In his first practice as Detroit Lions head coach, Rod Marinelli still couldn’t tear himself away from the work he has done for the past decade. Amidst the head coaching he did with his entire team on Tuesday at the Lions’ first mini-camp practice, Marinelli worked with the Detroit D-Line.

“Each day I’ll probably stay with the ‘down guys’ during the individual period,” he said. “I just want to get that thing started in the right direction and the tempo. We explain it well together as a staff: what I want, how I want it, the tempo that I want and the precision.

“I want a glittering display of execution everyday. That’s what I’m looking for everyday. If its not, I’m not happy.”

While it may appear that Marinelli can’t tear himself away from the position group he has worked so closely with throughout his career, he has total confidence in the defensive line coach Joe Cullen.

“I have a very good young guy who coached college football for a long time and I got him going and he's on it,” said Marinelli. “I just want to make sure that some of the details are on it early. So, I'm working with him a little bit and then I'll eventually start pulling myself away.

“I just know how much talent is in the front. If that front starts really playing like I believe it can, it can be a force."
http://www.detroitlions.com/document_display.cfm?document_id=444316

H1Man
04-12-2006, 12:44 AM
Marinelli looking for a few good Lions

The Lions begin a three-day minicamp today. It's voluntary, but only technically.

New coach Rod Marinelli wants players who want to be there -- guys who love football -- and this is the players' first chance to make an impression on Marinelli in a full-team setting.

The players better be there not only in body, but in spirit. When Marinelli makes his final cuts in August, the 53 players he keeps might not be the 53 most talented players available.

"It's going to be the 53 that help us win," Marinelli said. "I just believe the bottom of the roster is the key. Those guys are the big key to our team, the guys that are willing to play more than one position, learn more than one position, be a great special-teams guy, all those things it takes to help this team win. It's about just winning and buying into the whole thing."

Marinelli and his staff have already given the players a taste of their more demanding style in the off-season conditioning program. But the minicamp is the first time they will give them a taste of their higher-tempo practices.

To illustrate what he's trying to instill this time of year, Marinelli brought up wind sprints. He expects the players to be behind the line before the whistle blows. They can't be a little bit over it. They can't be on it. They must be behind it.

Every time.

"You may be running wind sprints, and you get tired," Marinelli said. "You start coming apart when you get fatigued. It may be a little thing, lining up behind the line, but it's trying to do things right under duress, which our game is built on.

"You try to create that for them. It's not what you're doing. It's not running the wind sprints. It's how you run the wind sprints. That relates to the game. That relates to what you're going to do. That's big to me. Then you get the habits you're trying to create."
http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060411/SPORTS01/604110352/1049/SPORTS

H1Man
Marinelli sends clear messages at first Lions minicamp

Rod Marinelli addressed all of the Detroit Lions when they gathered for their first minicamp Tuesday. But receiver Mike Williams said the new coach only looked at him as he delivered part of his stern message.

"'I don't want you to be late, and I don't want you to be overweight,' and he looked right at me," Williams recalled.

When Marinelli was hired in January to replace Steve Mariucci, who was fired during last season in part because of his softer touch with players, the Vietnam veteran said his voice would be the only one for discipline and leadership.

Williams said he welcomes Marinelli's approach.

"There was a lot of leeway, not only with me and the things I didn't do, but with a lot of guys," he said. "There's a different group here, and it's not going to be tolerated. It's kind of an accelerated change for a lot of people.

"I think everyone gets the message and those that don't will get weeded out."

The Lions drafted Williams last year with the 10th pick overall, becoming the first team since the NFL and AFL merged drafts in 1967 to draft a wide receiver in the first round three straight years.

Roy Williams, taken two years ago, had another solid season, but Mike Williams and Charles Rogers struggled.

Rogers was suspended for four games and was inactive for three games, including the finale at Pittsburgh. The second pick of the 2003 draft was ninth on the team in receptions and had one touchdown this season.

Mike Williams scored only once in his rookie year, two years after a sensational season at USC.

Marinelli "just wants me to be the player I was before I came here," Williams said.

Williams played at 239 pounds last year. He said he's 230 now and hopes to look more like the 212-pound Roy Williams.

"I'm trying to catch Roy. I've got best going because everybody thinks I'll be 225," Mike Williams said.

Williams said he was late to one meeting last season but said reports indicated he missed 15 or 20.

Rogers has played at about 220 pounds in the NFL but said he wants to enter next season about 20 pounds lighter, with the sleeker body type he had at Michigan State.

He said he also wants to shed the image that doubters have of him as a lackluster player in practice.

"I just have to keep working hard to prove them wrong," Rogers said.

Joey Harrington will not be throwing to Detroit's first-round receivers passes next season, but it's still unclear where he'll be next season.

Since Marinelli said earlier in the offseason that the Lions were moving in a different direction without Harrington as quarterback, they allowed him and his agent to seek a trade before June 15, when he's due a $4 million roster bonus.

The Lions are hoping to get a draft pick, or picks, in return for the third pick overall from 2002. Team president Matt Millen has said he's not in a rush to move Harrington.

"I wish him the best of luck," Rogers said. "Joey is going to be in the NFL a while."

Detroit signed free agents with starting experience, Jon Kitna and Josh McCown, to replace Harrington.

At the NFL meetings last month, Marinelli said if the season had started that day, Kitna would have taken the first snap.

A few players said Kitna ran the No. 1 offense during minicamp on Tuesday, but Marinelli insisted there wasn't a pecking order at quarterback.

"We don't have a starter right now," the coach said. "Somebody's got to take the first rep is what I said. I'm going to let them take the reps, and I'm going to get look at it and try to work it out."

Linebacker Boss Bailey, defensive tackle Dan Wilkinson and offensive tackle Jeff Backus, who was designated the franchise player, did not attend the first day of minicamp.

"I'm informed of where everybody is at," Marinelli said. "Everything is fine."
http://www.mlive.com/sportsflash/football/index.ssf?/base/sports-17/1144804148303370.xml&storylist=michigannfl

H1Man
Minicamp Tidbits per KFFL:

Lions | B. Bailey not present at minicamp
Tue, 11 Apr 2006 15:58:34 -0700

Tom Kowalski, of mlive.com, reports Detroit Lions LB Boss Bailey was an unexpected no-show at the team's minicamp Tuesday, April 11, and head coach Rod Marinelli was very evasive concerning his whereabouts. "He's not here and I know where he's at,'' Marinelli said. When asked if it was injury related, Marinelli replied: "He's getting some things checked out.''

Lions | No starting quarterback anointed
Tue, 11 Apr 2006 16:00:19 -0700

Tom Kowalski, of mlive.com, reports Detroit Lions head coach Rod Marinelli wanted to make it clear Tuesday, April 11, that QB Jon Kitna is not the No. 1 quarterback. "We don't have a starter right now. Somebody has to take the first snap,'' said Marinelli, who refused to even say that Kitna would have an edge because of his experience.

Lions | Marinelli comments on Wilkinson
Tue, 11 Apr 2006 17:20:53 -0700

Detroit Lions head coach Rod Marinelli said DT Dan Wilkinson did not attend the start of the team's minicamp. Marinelli said Wilkinson was "at home." When asked if Wilkinson retired, Marinelli replied, "I can't answer that."

Lions | Lehman unable to do any work
Tue, 11 Apr 2006 17:21:28 -0700

Detroit Lions head coach Rod Marinelli said LB Teddy Lehman (foot) is unable to do any work during the team's minicamp because of his foot injury. Marinelli said Lehman is still recovering from the injury. Marinelli said he had no time projection for Lehman's return.

Lions | M. Bell unable to do any work
Tue, 11 Apr 2006 17:25:10 -0700

Detroit Lions head coach Rod Marinelli said DT Marcus Bell was unable to do any work at the team's minicamp Tuesday, April 11, because he is still rehabbing his injury.

Lions | Marinelli comments about C. Rogers and M. Williams
Tue, 11 Apr 2006 17:27:13 -0700

Detroit Lions head coach Rod Marinelli was asked about WRs Charles Rogers and Mike Williams and he replied: "They came in on time and ready to work all day. You watched them work today at a great pace and great tempo. That's where you start right there, those points. You just keep working to get these guys better."

Lions | Marinelli talks about closing practice
Tue, 11 Apr 2006 17:29:14 -0700

Detroit Lions head coach Rod Marinelli was asked why he unexpectedly closed minicamp practice Tuesday, April 11, to the media and he replied: "Because we could."

Lions | Williams says Marinelli directed some comments at him
Tue, 11 Apr 2006 18:25:11 -0700

Larry Lage, of the Associated Press, reports Detroit Lions WR Mike Williams said new Lions' head coach Rod Marinelli only looked at him as he delivered part of his stern message at the start of minicamp Tuesday, April 11. "'I don't want you to be late, and I don't want you to be overweight,' and he looked right at me," Williams recalled. Marinelli "just wants me to be the player I was before I came here," Williams said. Williams played at 239 pounds last year. He said he's 230 now and hopes to look more like the 212-pound WR Roy E. Williams. "I'm trying to catch Roy. I've got best going because everybody thinks I'll be 225," Mike Williams said. Williams said he was late to one meeting last season but said reports indicated he missed 15 or 20.

Lions | Rogers wants to be in better shape
Tue, 11 Apr 2006 18:30:26 -0700

Larry Lage, of the Associated Press, reports Detroit Lions WR Charles Rogers has played at about 220 pounds in the NFL but said he wants to enter next season about 20 pounds lighter, with the sleeker body type he had at Michigan State. He said he also wants to shed the image that doubters have of him as a lackluster player in practice. "I just have to keep working hard to prove them wrong," Rogers said.

H1Man
04-12-2006, 05:23 PM
Marinelli is loud and clear
Mike Williams among those who got message

Lions coach Rod Marinelli stood in front of a team meeting Tuesday and delivered a message: "I don't want you to be late, and I don't want you to be overweight."

"And he looked right at me," Mike Williams said.

Marinelli opened a voluntary three-day minicamp -- his first interaction with essentially a full squad -- stressing good fundamentals and habits. He stressed them to everyone, but to some more than others.

Williams and Charles Rogers are under the microscope. Both are recent top-10 picks (Rogers went second overall in 2003; Williams went 10th last year). Both are wide receivers. Both have lacked good fundamentals and habits.

And both say they are getting the message and looking forward to the future.

Williams had problems with punctuality in training camp and conditioning during the season last year. He said he weighed as much as 239 pounds.

He knows Marinelli won't put up with tardiness, and he knows offensive coordinator Mike Martz's system is too demanding for him to be too heavy.

"Obviously, with the guys he's had in the past, 230 doesn't really fit the bill," Williams said. "I'm right around that now, but I'm still going to go down."

Williams said he wanted to be between 220 and 225.

"I've got some bets going on," he said. "Everyone thinks it'll be 225, but who knows? I just know that you've got to be in shape and you've got to be able to run just as fast on Play 1 as you can on Play 60. ...

"Anywhere in 220 to 225 is where I'm going to be and where I'm going to stay, because if I'm going to get to where I want to be, I've got to be in great shape."

Rogers, who missed almost all of his first two seasons because of broken collarbones, served a four-game suspension for substance abuse last season. He didn't dress for three games afterward because the coaches weren't happy with him.

Asked if a clean slate came with the new staff, he said: "It should be that way, but we'll just see what happens."

He said he hadn't heard anything negative about his work ethic from the coaches. He said he had gone from 212 pounds to 204 himself.

"We've got a good staff on board," he said. "Everybody feels like they're buying into the system, buying into what they're trying to do. All we've got to do is get on the same page. It'll probably take a little time, but I think it'll come through."

Williams said the coaches had made it clear it was their way or the highway. He said there was "no. B.S." with Marinelli.

"If he doesn't see what he likes, he's going to let me know, and that's how it should be," he said. "I think there was a lot of leeway last year, not only with me and the things I didn't do, but with a lot of guys. There's a different group here, and it's not going to be tolerated. ... It's a brotherhood, and we're going to go by the fastest and the strongest, and whoever is not up to that pace, they're going to get rid of in one way or another. I think everybody gets the message, and the ones that don't get the message will weed themselves out."

NOTEBOOK: Williams said the quarterbacks were playing pick-up basketball with the receivers and the players were hanging out in the coaches' offices. "Last year it wasn't like that," he said. "They've got to kick us out of here now, compared to last year. Some guys weren't even taking showers. They were just throwing on clothes and running up out of here." (Yes, the Lions literally stunk.) "It's a whole different atmosphere, and it's exciting, and we'll just see where we can take it."... Running back Kevin Jones said Tuesday's practice was "intense" and had "good tempo." Then he added this: "I think we're already ahead of where we were last year." Last year in April? "No," he said. "Last year in general. I just think the whole building is different. I'm happy with the staff, happy with the new additions we got. Everything's looking good right now. We've just got to stay focused through this whole off-season."...

Marinelli said he was pleased with the players' desire but still wanted a faster pace and more precision. "I want a glittering display of execution every day," he said. "That's what I'm looking for. Every day. And if it's not, I'm not happy."...

Three players were notably absent: defensive tackle Dan Wilkinson, who is pondering retirement; offensive tackle Jeff Backus, who hasn't signed his franchise tender; and linebacker Boss Bailey, who had an ankle injury at the end of last season. Marinelli said Wilkinson was at home. Asked if Wilkinson had made a decision on his future, he said: "I can't answer that." Marinelli said Backus, who had ankle surgery in January, was still rehabbing, anyway. As for Bailey, he said: "I know where he's at, and that's where I'll leave it. He's just getting some things checked out, so we're fine." ...

The Lions have re-signed center Brock Gutierrez, safety Vernon Fox, linebacker Nate Wayne and guard Tyrone Hopson, all free agents. Safety Terrence Holt said he had agreed to a one-year deal.
http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060412/SPORTS01/604120396/1049

Camp Marinelli all business

After the first day of the Detroit Lions voluntary minicamp, one thing is becoming clear: Head coach Rod Marinelli and his coaching staff aren't interested in making friends. Not with the players. Not with the media.

Compared to recent Lions minicamps, there was a remarkable difference in tempo, intensity and volume during the first 45 minutes of Tuesday's workout. The rest of the sessions, when the Lions were in "team" drills, were off limits to the media.

"It was the first day and I wanted to give the coaches a chance to be themselves," Marinelli said.

Also, offensive coordinator Mike Martz has let it be known that he's not interested in talking to the media. Not today, probably not tomorrow and the next day doesn't look so good either.

It's possible Martz won't agree to interviews until the start of training camp in July.

While the Lions no longer appear to be a media-friendly organization, the players aren't getting much of a break either. It's all business. Football business. Everything else is secondary or unimportant.

It was evident from the very beginning with the team's stretching period at the start of practice. In previous years, the strength and conditioning coaches were largely ignored as they went through the progression of stretches. Some players followed along, but most had their own regimen while others didn't bother to stretch at all.

On Tuesday, every player was lined up and following all of the instructions.

During individual drills, the players were always on the move, with every detail being monitored. The coaching staff shouted encouragement to the players, but there were also some jabs. "You're cheating me," defensive coordinator Donnie Henderson yelled to a cornerback who wasn't putting his plant foot deep enough during a drill. "You're still cheating me," he said when it happened again.

Henderson then threw down his cap. "There, that's the mark. Hit it."

Everybody did.

"I want them to understand the tempo," Marinelli said. "The most important thing was to get things established.

Three notable no-shows were left tackle Jeff Backus, defensive tackle Dan Wilkinson and outside linebacker Boss Bailey. Backus is unhappy with the progress of his contract negotiations while Wilkinson is mulling over the possibility of retirement.

Marinelli was evasive when asked about Bailey and whether his absence was injury-related. Bailey, who has a history of knee problems, missed five of the final seven games last season with an ankle injury.

"He's not here but I know where he's at," Marinelli said. "He's having some things checked out."

The Lions re-signed four players Tuesday who had become unrestricted free agents: safety Vernon Fox, center Brock Gutierrez, linebacker Nate Wayne and guard Tyrone Hopson.

Detroit's minicamp continues today with two sessions and wraps up Thursday with a morning workout.

The off-season workout program will continue next week with the next minicamp scheduled for shortly after the NFL draft on April 29-30. That minicamp will be mandatory and all players under contract must attend or be subject to fines.
http://www.mlive.com/lions/stories/index.ssf?/base/sports-1/1144836617121340.xml&coll=1

Kitna says volume of plays makes offense difficult
After today's practice I asked Jon Kitna to explain the differences between the West Coast offense and Martz' offense. He said they're very similar in some ways, but terminolgy and the emphasis on downfield options are the differences. He also says young guys, like Roy Williams (who said this offense is very difficult to learn), may have trouble learning it simply because of the volume of memorization required.

"I think the difficulty comes in volume more than when things are confusing. Things aren't confusing, they make sense if you understand the base of the offense. But there's such a volume to it. For four practices in this minicamp we have 180 pass plays. (In another offense) you might have 40-50 pass plays in a minicamp. There's a greater volume. There's no slowdown. You don't rep the same play eight times in one practice. You know, where I've been other places and that's what you do. That's not the case here. It's just, new play after new play after new play. And you've got to know it."

JS
04-13-2006, 02:17 AM
The other day I was joking with my brother about which guys Martz would make change numbers, for those who don't know Martz did this a lot in STL. He is a big believer in numbers and prefers players to avoid certain numbers for various reasons. Example he asked Jeff Smoker to change from 9 to 15, he felt 9 was bad Karma considering the trouble hr got into while wearing 9 at MSU.

Well our first victim of the numbers game has been found...

Why Orlovsky changed his number

Quarterback Dan Orlovsky, who wore No. 9 last year, has changed to No. 15. Why?

"Because Coach Martz asked me to,'' Orlovsky said. "He said he wanted to see me in a double digit number.''

That's it?

"That's it.''

Jon Kitna, meanwhile, was very evasive about whether he'll eventually ask for No. 3, his former number. With Joey Harrington still officially on the roster, that number is taken. Based on the way Kitna responded to the questions, I'd be surprised if Kitna wasn't wearing No. 3 at the team's next minicamp.

H1Man
04-13-2006, 03:06 AM
Lions Return for Day Two
Marinelli Holds Twice the Practice in the Team's Second Day of Mini-Camp

After the second day of mini-camp, hard work is clearly the mantra of the team’s veteran voluntary mini-camp.

The first day consisted of a hard practice in the evening while Wednesday’s agenda included double the practice load on top of position group meetings.

“We try to create a hell of a pace early - really getting that thing going,” said Marinelli. “Now what you're looking for is going over a period of time that has now developed a stronger base of conditioning.

“It's in progress. Keep working the tempo and execution - it's all part of it. Tempo and execution, all the things we are trying to get done."

With only two days of organized practice under Marinelli, the subject of current player mentality has come up among the media.

How are the players responding to this rigorous conditioning?

“I think so [the players are starting to get tired legs],” Marinelli said. “It's early in the year. This is an early mini-camp. It's an early one. We try to create a hell of a pace early - really getting that thing going.

“Now what you're looking for is going over a period of time that has now developed a stronger base of conditioning."

After three practices in two days, the Lions will conclude their mini-camp tomorrow with a morning practice in Allen Park.

“We're trying to keep the pace,” said Marinelli. “This is kind of how we do things. Trying out our practice, our tempo and how we do things."

Brown and his Receivers
While there is interest regarding the state of the overall team, the subject of conditioning and the young group of Lions wide receivers has been a focal point.

Wide receiver coach Kippy Brown was brought on this season and reflects the philosophies of his head coach and the other coaches within the Lions staff: in order to succeed he feels his players have to put in the time.

“To have a chance, keep showing up and working hard,” said Brown. “We have to establish a trust and they have to believe in what I tell them and trust that it’s the right thing and then go and do it. So show up and work hard – and they’re doing it.”

The Detroit Lions currently have nine wideouts on their roster, with two – Corey Bradford and Mike Furrey – picked up during free agency. Brown has coached Bradford prior to this in Houston for four seasons as well as in Green Bay.

But the trio of receivers who have the attention of many is made up of fourth-year player Charles Rogers, third-year player Roy Williams and second-year player Mike Williams.

Thus far in the getting-to-know-each-other process, Brown doesn’t feel there is anything major his group of receivers needs to “un-learn.”

“In most offenses you have fundamentals that stay constant like footwork and playing low and those things,” said Brown. “So a lot of those things are constant. And there’s terminology. A lot of people are doing the same things. There’s no secrets in this league you just have different terminology. That’s the big thing, learning the terminology.”

So, as the receivers are getting acquainted and adjusted to this new group of coaches just as their teammates are, their state of mind – according to Brown – seems to be the same as the rest of the players.

“Guys are still getting in shape somewhat; still trying to get in some kind of shape so you can come out here and operate at the tempo that we’re looking for,” said Brown.

Brown applies his “working-hard” mentality to more than just conditioning and showing up. He feels that success over the course of the season will stem on the amount of time put forth by his receivers.

In fact, when asked after a Wednesday practice what could help alleviate the dropped balls that have plagued Lions receivers in recent years, Brown simply said,

“Work hard, concentrate and focus – that’s it. That usually cures it for good players.”
http://www.detroitlions.com/document_display.cfm?document_id=444416

Glenn
04-13-2006, 08:38 AM
It would be cool if they just gave Kitna #3 right now, even with Joey still on the team.

Taymelo
04-13-2006, 09:32 AM
It would be cool if they just gave Kitna #3 right now, even with Joey still on the team.

Hater. [smilie=404.gif]

Glenn
04-13-2006, 10:02 AM
Hater. [smilie=404.gif]

[smilie=rip.gif]

[smilie=joeyrules.g:

[smilie=joeyballgam:

Taymelo
04-13-2006, 10:24 AM
Its OK.

I'm taking the screenname "Glenn" even though you haven't been officially banned yet.

MOLA1
04-13-2006, 10:30 AM
YES!

Glenn
04-13-2006, 10:59 AM
Its OK.

I'm taking the screenname "Glenn" even though you haven't been officially banned yet.

[smilie=banned.gif]

[smilie=dance.gif]

Darth Thanatos
04-13-2006, 01:38 PM
The other day I was joking with my brother about which guys Martz would make change numbers, for those who don't know Martz did this a lot in STL. He is a big believer in numbers and prefers players to avoid certain numbers for various reasons. Example he asked Jeff Smoker to change from 9 to 15, he felt 9 was bad Karma considering the trouble hr got into while wearing 9 at MSU.

Well our first victim of the numbers game has been found...

Why Orlovsky changed his number

Quarterback Dan Orlovsky, who wore No. 9 last year, has changed to No. 15. Why?

"Because Coach Martz asked me to,'' Orlovsky said. "He said he wanted to see me in a double digit number.''

That's it?

"That's it.''

Jon Kitna, meanwhile, was very evasive about whether he'll eventually ask for No. 3, his former number. With Joey Harrington still officially on the roster, that number is taken. Based on the way Kitna responded to the questions, I'd be surprised if Kitna wasn't wearing No. 3 at the team's next minicamp.

I'm starting to believe that Mike Martz is a scientologist. The dude is mad crazy.

H1Man
04-13-2006, 04:40 PM
Marinelli Pleased With Progress
Players Put Forth a Solid Effort Over the Team's Three-Day Mini-Camp

If attitude is everything, then the Detroit Lions may be on the verge of success.

The team’s three-day voluntary mini-camp concluded late Thursday morning and the wear and tear of hard, full-out workouts on the players were apparent.

So was the buzz in the air.

Among other things, head coach Rod Marinelli seems to have been brought in to light a fire under these Lions players, and thus far it looks as though he has succeeded.

His strategy?

Getting back to the basics with fundamentals and details.

“We have a tremendous amount of fundamentals,” said Marinelli. “We have 40 minutes of fundamental work everyday and we’re at four practices. It’s fundamentals from stepping to angles to tackling to hand placement – all the details it takes to play this game.

“What you try to do is give these men as many tools when the season comes and when they get in the game, they can use fundamentals. Those are the tools of your trade. That’s what you try to do.”

Marinelli is going back to square one with these professional athletes and he doesn’t think that approach is insulting to talent in the slightest. He feels it is a necessity in order to get to the top and then stay there.

“You would think, at this level that you shouldn’t have to coach tackling,” he said. “No, you do. The people that don’t [practice it] don’t tackle well. You watch games and say ‘man that’s sloppy tackling.’ Well you have to work on tackling and angles. It’s your fundamentals.

“It’s like if you are playing golf, you work on your golf swing even if you played 20 years right? You still have to go work on it. It’s the same thing in football. You have to work on your angles for tackling, your footwork on run-blocking and the details of a route. That’s the basis of this whole thing.”

After three days of working with his new group of players, Marinelli is pleased with the effort put forth. His group of veterans – two-year players on up – have showed a willingness to work hard so playing on Sunday won’t be so tough.

“The biggest thing that I like is progress,” said Marinelli. “It’s about how we’re doing things, the tempo that we’re trying to create, and the willingness to keep doing it day-in and day-out – not just one practice, but from that practice to the next practice, then there’s progress starting to be made. That’s the part I like, their willingness to do it. That’s good.”

While the Lions held a solid three-day camp, it still won’t be the same as playing outside in the heat at the end of July and throughout August. Therefore, the shortness of the camp and the timing during the offseason didn’t quite give the coaches solid evaluations of the players.

“When you really evaluate, you want to see who can retain information, who can play everyday, the endurance of a person, the mental toughness everyday,” said Marinelli. “It’s not the hitting sometimes, it’s the mental toughness that’s going on, perform everyday, every drill, every snap, give a man information, how he retains it, and then how he can perform it on the field.”

Despite the fact that this mini-camp isn’t the same as training camp and wasn’t really a means for evaluation, Marinelli and his coaching staff were able to use these three days as a way to help the players get better on a basic level.

“Right now, you’re using these camps as tools to teach,” he said. “The key, I think, is to find what you want to teach – the tempo and the fundamentals and then start to master the execution of the offense, defense and special teams. To understand the intricacies of each system and know exactly how you may fit in the run game, how you spill, precision on routes, timing of routes and also show exactly where we are at conditioning-wise.

“How we want to have a certain pace everyday on how fast we run our routes or hustle or pursuit. It shows you the conditioning that this team is going to need and the pace that we want to play at.”

If Marinelli’s mini-camp was any indication of the pace he wants his team to play in 2006, fans can be rest assured they’ll find a hustling team on the playing field come September.

“Our pace is so fast right now – the tempo and the pace,” he said. “So what it does, it helps the men see the type of pace that you have to have. Conditioning to me is now a 10- or 11-month-a-year process. Conditioning, hardening your body, for what we want to do is a long process, and that’s what we are trying to show them.”

Receiving Praise

After the Lions final practice late Thursday morning, head coach Rod Marinelli was once again asked about fourth-year wide receiver Charles Rogers and his progress. Marinelli was happy with the work he got out of Rogers, complimenting him on his willingness to go hard.

“[I have seen] Hard work – coming out and doing everything we’re asking him to do,” said Marinelli. “I mean [he’s] working hard and he’s got talent. And the offense, the system, is very demanding. And the coaches over there are very demanding. It’s precision – the willingness and learning it and doing it over and over.”

Marinelli also made it clear that he is more worried about the present time than the past. Despite the fact that Rogers had a somewhat bumpy year last season, Marinelli wants to talk about the here and now and what he is willing to do today.

“I don’t talk about so much last year, I just talk about our expectations now,” Marinelli said. “I think right now, we’re here and we want to go there. So here’s where we are starting and here’s the expectations I have for us, and here’s how I believe we can get there – laying out a road map. Now we just have to follow the map. The maps aren’t always easy to follow; there are some hills and bumps and creeks in there. We just have to level our way through it.”

Quarterback Jon Kitna also talked about Rogers after the team’s final mini-camp practice on Thursday.

“Charles is going to be just fine for us,” he said. “He’s got the things that not everybody has: size, speed, long arms. He’s going to be fine. Like I said, we’re all just trying to work into this thing together. The receiving group as a whole is going to be very dynamic.”
http://www.detroitlions.com/document_display.cfm?document_id=444421

Schlesinger left to wonder about role
Fullback has excelled as a lead blocker, but he might not be a fit with system Martz will run.

For 11 seasons, Cory Schlesinger has had a well-defined role in the Lions' offense as a 247-pound, ground-clearing fullback.

After two days of minicamp, Schlesinger is wondering if he will have a role for a 12th season in the new scheme under offensive coordinator Mike Martz.

Schlesinger has done his research on the type of players Martz used to block in the running game for the last seven years in St. Louis. Some were bigger. Some were smaller. Some weren't even fullbacks.

For now, Schlesinger is more than a little puzzled about his future with the Lions. In fact, he isn't sure if he has one. It is too early to make any final judgments, but the indications are that the classic fullback could be phased out.

"That's what I'm wondering right now," Schlesinger said between practices Wednesday. "I'm wondering where I fit in with this offense, this staff. So, really I don't want to say anything until I get my facts straight.

"I'm not talking much."

Schlesinger spoke for two minutes before departing the locker room. He didn't want to cause any disruption. That doesn't mean he isn't concerned about his status.

"I'll give you news later on," Schlesinger said. "We'll find out."

Coach Rod Marinelli pursued Martz doggedly as one of his most important additions to his staff because of the success Martz had in St. Louis, first as offensive coordinator and later as head coach.

Marinelli has said he likes the versatility Martz has in his offense, in the balance between the running and passing games and how he adjusts in both phases.

That is evident in the different players Martz uses. The first five games of 2005 -- which also were Martz's last five as coach -- were typical of how he uses players as specialized parts of the offense.

Madison Hedgecock, a 266-pound rookie, started one game at fullback. In another, Brandon Manumaleuna, a 288-pound tight end, was listed as the starting fullback. In another, Blaine Saipaia, a 310-pound offensive lineman, lined up as a starting tight end in a one-back formation.

On the 1999 Rams team that won the Super Bowl, Robert Holcombe, a 220-pound rookie, was the primary fullback.

"He's had a lot larger guys than me," Schlesinger said. "He's had, in the late 1990's, a smaller guy. He's had them all. Where's he going with it now? What does he want?"

Schlesinger, who turns 34 in June, made the Lions' roster in 1996 as a sixth-round draft pick from Nebraska.

He became a full-time starter at fullback in 1999 and has been one of the most respected lead blockers in the league. His style has made him a fan favorite, and he has been a stand-up pro in the locker room.

Schlesinger missed one game his first nine seasons. He missed three because of a hamstring injury in 2004 and five last season because of a broken fibula suffered in the first exhibition game.

Detroit's offense under Martz will look nothing like the West Coast offense used the last five years. It's an entirely different style, with more passes downfield. In two days of workouts, the practice tempo has been noticeably faster and more intense.

The personnel groups are sure to be affected. The Lions carried two tight ends last season. This year, they'll probably have three. Dan Campbell, a blocking specialist, has been added to incumbents Marcus Pollard and Casey FitzSimmons.

The roles of the running backs and fullbacks will change. Kevin Jones is in line for more carries at tailback, and Shawn Bryson's role at fullback likely will expand to take advantage of his speed and receiving ability.

Injuries/personnel

Linebacker Teddy Lehman is still recovering from surgery on his right arch and cannot take part in drills. Lehman had the operation in late November.

"I don't know when I'm expected to start playing, start running -- anything," Lehman said.

… Only six linebackers are in camp. Boss Bailey is absent.

"All I know is, he's got to take care of some personal business," defensive coordinator Donny Henderson said.

Drill work

Henderson makes players repeat drills if they aren't done right. That includes Pro Bowlers such as Dre Bly and Shaun Rogers .

"Those veterans are going to cheat the drill," Henderson said. "It's harder for the older guys, let's be honest. They've been through a couple different systems. There's a new pace. You've got to give a little bit. We're not going to give on the fundamentals and the techniques and sprint to the ball."
http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060413/SPORTS0101/604130311/1126

H1Man
04-13-2006, 10:14 PM
Henderson gets his point across with repeated drill

In the first clash of wills between player and coach under the new coaching regime, there was no winner. No one really expected one.

Detroit Lions Pro Bowl defensive tackle Shaun Rogers and new defensive coordinator Donnie Henderson figuratively butted heads on Wednesday during a drill at the start of the second day of the team's voluntary minicamp.

It might be the simplest maneuver the defensive unit will run all year. It's called the pursuit drill and all the defense does is line up at the 40-yard line in their regular defense, take a few quick steps forward on the snap of the ball and then they turn and run full speed to the corner of the end zone.

The first time the Lions ran it, every player reached the corner of the end zone except Rogers. The second-team unit, which was on the sideline, started to come onto the field to take their turn. Henderson waved them off and called the first-team unit back. They ran it again.

This time, Rogers, pulled up at the 7-yard line and the second team didn't budge. Henderson, staring at Rogers the entire time, called the first unit back again and they ran it again. On the third attempt, Rogers stopped at the 5-yard line. Henderson had seen enough and waved the second unit onto the field. They ran it once and the drill was over.

"All that is is a pursuit drill," said Henderson, an aggressive coach with a feisty attitude. "We're just turning and running full speed through the coach, which is past the (end zone) line. And you're probably better off going two yards into the end zone and you won't get called back. If you pull up, you've got to come back (and do it again)."

When asked about the Rogers incident, in which he called the team back twice, Henderson said, "Did I? Did I do that? Oh, man, that's OK.

"He had to come back, right? That's all right."

Rogers has never been known has a high-intensity practice player and Henderson appears to have pushed him as far as he felt he could. Henderson got his message across.

"Donnie told us in the meeting that he's trying to figure us out and we're trying to figure him out. I think that's where we're at right now," Lions linebacker Donte Curry said of Henderson. "Outside of football, he's pretty cool. Football-wise, he's going to tell you what he wants and if you can't get it done, then he'll get somebody else. He's that type of guy."

Talking about the repeated pursuit drill, Curry said, "Like I said, he tells you what wants. If you get it right the first time, you're done. If we don't do it right the first time, then we go again. That's what happened -- it didn't get done right and we bring it back. You bring it back until it gets done right."

Rogers refused to comment after the workout, which is not unusual for him. Rogers might not want to address the media, but he'll have to address the situation again before long.

"Obviously, I'd like him to go faster," Henderson said. "My thing is, once he steps between the lines, that's what matters. I've got to get him to play a little harder. We talked. It's like anything else: When it's new to you, you've got to figure out what you're comfortable with and, at some point, we'll get comfortable, everybody will be on the same page and he'll buy in or he won't buy in.

"Like I told him, he holds the key. At some point, he'll say to himself, `You know what? It's OK.' "

Henderson, meanwhile, will keep trying to find the right balance in getting his point across.

"I'm still going to push 'em. I'm going to push 'em and they'll let me know. As long as they don't eye-ball me, we'll be OK," Henderson said. "There's a comfort zone for everyone and I've got to get people out of their comfort zone and push them to the next level."
http://www.mlive.com/lions/stories/index.ssf?/base/sports-1/1144923028268770.xml&coll=1

H1Man
04-13-2006, 10:19 PM
Lions running hard
In yesterday's Oakland Press, Don Muhlbach limped out of his first minicamp practice and said he was fine, he just never ran that much. I talked with Dre Bly after practice and he, too, was winded. And this is just minicamp.

April 12, Oakland Press: Such was life the first day the Lions worked out as a team under new head coach Rod Marinelli and staff. Long snapper Don Muhlbach, hobbling in the locker room, was asked if he had been injured. "No," he said, limping off, "I just never ran that much - ever."

And the only thing that will be any different today is that everybody gets to wake up and do it twice instead of just once. Thursday's single practice will close what already appears to be an exhausting preview of how Marinelli plans to prepare his team for the 2006 season.

Oakland Press: Henderson ruffles opposing teams, too
All major news outlets have the same Donnie Henderson story today, but Steve Pate of the Oakland Press brings up a moment last year that ticked off the Giants, whom the Jets practiced with. Apparently Henderson's defense was extremely aggressive with the Giants, who complained.

April 13, Oakland Press: A second-round pick in 2002, McGraw was a safety for the Jets and was not traded to the Lions until a few weeks after that scrimmage.

"The way Donnie runs things is very high speed, very high tempo," McGraw said. "So the Giants were a little surprised at the tempo at which we were practicing, and the contact. It was kind of funny."

Not to the Giants, who, under Tom Coughlin, are not a soft bunch. Neither is Shaun Rogers, but Henderson does not lose himself in reputations.

"Depth charts don't mean anything to him," McGraw said. "Everybody is accountable and on the same playing field. He's not trying to be your best friend, and sometimes he can get on your nerves. But in the end, he makes you a better player, and that's what you respect.

H1Man
04-14-2006, 03:22 PM
Shaun Rogers shows different attitude 24 hours later in same drill

Progress can be measured in small steps or long strides and, sometimes, in the span of five yards.

One day after not showing much intensity during practice and failing to run out a pursuit drill three straight times, Detroit Lions Pro Bowl defensive tackle Shaun Rogers answered the bell on Thursday, the final practice of the three-day voluntary minicamp.

Not only did Rogers have much more pep in his step, but on the pursuit drill, he not only crossed the finish line, but outran some of his teammates to do it.

On Wednesday, Rogers pulled up short of the end zone during the drill and the defense was forced to run the drill again. When Rogers came up short again, they were required to run it once more. On the third time, after Rogers pulled up at the 5-yard line, defensive coordinator Donnie Henderson didn't push the issue.

It was a different story on Thursday.

"The whole group was even faster. That was exciting," said Lions head coach Rod Marinelli. "We had to show him, we had to show him the standard we want to play at.

"It's awesome because this is hard. It's hard to get a guy going hard on every snap."

The Lions wrapped up the three-day camp in the same fashion it started: largely uneventful. That's because the coaching staff spent so much time -- 40 minutes during every practice -- working on the small details and fundamentals of each position.

It can become boring and mundane for the players, but the coaches have a different view.

"Yeah, I know (it's boring), but I really think it's awesome," Marinelli said. "If you talk to Beck (offensive line coach Larry Beightol) or you talk to (offensive coordinator) Mike Martz, they'll tell you it's the best part of the whole day. They'll ask if they can get 42 minutes and I say, `No, it's 40.'

"The biggest part of the fundamentals is understanding how it fits into the system. We'll be working faster and cleaner."

Lions president Matt Millen hired Marinelli because of his leadership ability and also his unwavering belief that hard work and solid fundamentals are the key to winning football games.

"It's just details, it's the stuff we've talked about all off-season. It's all fundamental stuff, guys staying low, paying attention to their footwork, how they break, how they get in and out of their cut, it's all the little fundamentals that make football. You can see the difference in two days," Millen said. "You become what you repeatedly do."

The off-season workouts will continue for the players next week and Marinelli said the coaching staff will continue to preach those boring ol' fundamentals.

"Once you get the fundamentals, you've got to stay on them every week. Like tackling, you've got to stay on them because it's hard," Marinelli said. "Tedious repetition. I think you've got to be creative as teachers and show them how they can become a better player by relying on the fundamentals. Both the defensive and offensive systems are player-friendly and when they see themselves getting better, now it's fun."

Millen is still trying to persuade Dan Wilkinson to return to the team, but it's beginning to look more and more like the veteran defensive tackle is leaning toward retirement. ... Outside linebacker Boss Bailey wasn't at the minicamp because he's recovering from foot surgery. A club official described it as a minor procedure and the team expects Bailey to make a rapid recovery.
http://www.mlive.com/lions/stories/index.ssf?/base/sports-1/1144953607156860.xml&coll=1

Lions | F. Bryant takes part in all drills
Fri, 14 Apr 2006 05:58:26 -0700

Mike O'Hara, of the Detroit News, reports Detroit Lions CB Fernando Bryant (shoulder) took part in all minicamp drills. His 2005 season ended in the second game because of a dislocated left shoulder. "It's back to step one," Bryant said. "It's a new evaluation process. Everybody has reputations. You come in and try to show them what you're made of."

Lions | B. Bailey actually had surgery
Thu, 13 Apr 2006 21:58:54 -0700

Tom Kowalski, of mlive.com, reports Detroit Lions LB Boss Bailey (foot) wasn't at the team's minicamp because he's recovering from foot surgery. A team official described it as a minor procedure and the team expects Bailey to make a rapid recovery.

Lions | Marinelli expects to add at linebacker, offensive line and secondary
Thu, 13 Apr 2006 17:10:29 -0700

Detroit Lions head coach Rod Marinelli said the team plans to add players at linebacker, offensive line and in the secondary. "We're just short in numbers right now. That's fine; this is an early minicamp. Now we have a chance to upgrade ourselves with the draft and constantly look at good players on the street."

Glenn
04-14-2006, 03:25 PM
Lions | Marinelli expects to add at linebacker, offensive line and secondary
Thu, 13 Apr 2006 17:10:29 -0700

Detroit Lions head coach Rod Marinelli said the team plans to add players at linebacker, offensive line and in the secondary. "We're just short in numbers right now. That's fine; this is an early minicamp. Now we have a chance to upgrade ourselves with the draft and constantly look at good players on the street."

Cool, that's exactly what I think they need, in that order of importance. I'm glad that "wide receiver" isn't listed there again.

H1Man
05-18-2006, 07:28 PM
Updates from the Lion's Organized Team Activities (OTAs)

Lions | M. Williams sheds some weight
Thu, 18 May 2006 06:20:52 -0700

Mike O'Hara, of the Detroit News, reports Detroit Lions WR Mike Williams already is about 10 pounds less than his rookie playing weight of 234 pounds. Williams said he has changed his eating habits and been more concerned with conditioning. He feels better at a lower weight. "Heck yeah, definitely," Williams said. "You cut better. You're more fluid."

Lions | Marinelli discusses M. Williams and C. Rogers
Wed, 17 May 2006 15:51:58 -0700

Detroit Lions head coach Rod Marinelli was asked about his impression of Lions WRs Mike Williams and Charles Rogers and he replied: "Good - even just their day-to-day work. They're here sprinting down the field and trying to get to the spot they're supposed to get to. The biggest thing here is, again, its how much information you can give these men; how many tools can you give them so when they get to camp they have some tools in their toolbox to go to work. And that's what you're constantly giving them: information, the details of your position and the tempo we want to play at each and every day. And then start building habits of consistency and hope we can be able to take that into camp with us."

Lions | Marinelli says Lehman is riding the bike
Wed, 17 May 2006 15:50:47 -0700

Detroit Lions head coach Rod Marinelli said LB Teddy Lehman (foot) is present at the team's organized team activities, but that he is on the sideline riding the bike.

Lions | Marinelli says Bailey is riding the bike; team figuring out his role
Wed, 17 May 2006 15:47:31 -0700

Detroit Lions head coach Rod Marinelli said LB Boss Bailey (knee) is present at the team's organized team activities, but that he is on the sideline riding the bike. When asked if Bailey would be the middle linebacker Marinelli replied: "We'd like to look at him still at the middle and the 'will,' looking at both spots. You just don't want to lock guys in yet. Let's see how they work and do some of those things but, I mean, he could be a guy we could look at as the 'mike' backer position."

Lions | Marinelli excited about team's OTAs performance
Wed, 17 May 2006 15:42:11 -0700

Detroit Lions head coach Rod Marinelli said he his excited with the progress the team has made during their organized team activities. "I've been really excited about it. We've had really, two good practices. What I'm seeing is the pace and the tempo is outstanding. It's not good enough yet, it's not what I want. But it's the pace, the work; I've been very encouraged so far," said Marinelli. He said he does not plan to do anything different, despite the fact the players earlier filed a grievance. He said it will be business as usual for the team.

Lions | Pollard soaking up coaching experience
Tue, 16 May 2006 20:30:52 -0700

Chrissie Zavicar, of DetroitLions.com, reports Detroit Lions TE Marcus Pollard, who has been the tight end coach for the Rhein Fire in NFL Europe this summer, has a new appreciation for the amount of time required of an NFL coach, "These guys don't leave. They sleep here." Pollard said that would be too hard on him and has no plans to coach in the NFL when his playing career is over, "High school is what I'm looking for." Pollard also said he found relating the information to each individual player to be a challenge, "There were times I thought, what am I going to have to do to get this guy to figure out what I'm trying to teach him?" Overall, Pollard said his experience has been a good one and thinks it will make him into better player next year.

Vinny
05-22-2006, 04:25 PM
Lions release veteran DT WilkinsonMay 22, 2006
ALLEN PARK, Michigan (Ticker) - Rod Marinelli prefers fast defensive tackles with the ability to penetrate the backfield over massive ones that clog the middle. That essentially spelled the end for Dan Wilkinson (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/2760/) with the Detroit Lions (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/teams/det/).
The 6-4, 353-pound Wilkinson was released by the Lions on Monday after starting all 48 games for them over the last three seasons.
However, Wilkinson was not a good fit in the Cover-2 defense scheme that new coach Marinelli is installing in Detroit.
The No. 1 overall pick in the 1994 draft, Wilkinson played four seasons with the Cincinnati Bengals (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/teams/cin/) before being traded to the Washington Redskins (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/teams/was/) in 1997. He spent five years with Washington before signing with the Lions in 2003.
In Detroit, Wilkinson was paired inside with Shaun Rogers (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/5508/), who made the Pro Bowl each of the last two seasons.
In his 12-year career, Wilkinson compiled 455 tackles and 54 sacks.
The Lions on Monday also re-signed restricted free agent linebacker James Davis (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/6480/) to a one-year contract. Davis started all 16 games at weakside linebacker last season and was third on the team in tackles with 79.

H1Man
05-22-2006, 06:11 PM
Does this mean that Marcus Bell will be retained?

Darth Thanatos
05-22-2006, 07:38 PM
I hope to God Bell's not retained. He's a whiny little bitch and he's not even good. We have plenty of depth at the DL position.

Anyhoo, this was a pretty good release. He was good, but it was pretty clear that he was on his last legs. I wish Wilkinson the best of luck in retirement, and hopefully he'll lose some of that weight.

Jethro34
05-23-2006, 09:56 AM
In spite of the whole "speed" thing and the depth at DT, there is some speculation that Warren Sapp might be cut on or before June 1 by the Raiders. Anyone think he would come here to play for the coach he loves and fill that void for a year or two? And if so, would you like that? While I think he's way past his prime, I still think he can teach this young DL a few things and help Marinelli get to them and bring some attitude to the line. I'm down with that.

Unibomber
05-25-2006, 09:11 PM
On TOS it was mentioned that Bill Swancutt had been tearing it the fuck up and may have a chance to start. Anyone else hear this?

Jethro34
05-25-2006, 09:13 PM
Wow, I honestly haven't even thought about TOS in at least 6 months. I need to sit down for a while longer.

And no, haven't heard anything about Swancutt and I've been to several other Lions sites. TOS is a circle jerk for idiots.

Unibomber
05-25-2006, 11:06 PM
Wow, I honestly haven't even thought about TOS in at least 6 months. I need to sit down for a while longer.

My mistake.

RealGM. Not TOS.

I've heard TOS used as an acronym for "The Other Site", in reference to RGM.

DrRay11
05-26-2006, 11:02 AM
Also an acronym for "Terms of Service."

Taymelo
05-26-2006, 11:52 AM

And no, haven't heard anything about Swancutt and I've been to several other Lions sites. TOS is a circle jerk for idiots.

I don't want this to become a TOS thread, but I agree with Jethro.

I don't even go there to check out the news stories at the top of the page, anymore. I haven't even browsed that site in months. Its grown so bad over there. A "circle jerk for idiots" is a perfect description. Of course, there's an intelligent poster or two, but overall, the collective intelligence on that site is in the 5 year old range.

Glenn
05-26-2006, 11:58 AM
Even if you wanted to go there I don't know how you could stand the trojan spyware, the pop ups and the annoying green underlined advertising links in every post.

My Norton firewall started seizing up everytime I used to go there.

DrRay11
05-26-2006, 12:20 PM
^Truth.

Jethro34
05-26-2006, 10:31 PM
I knew exactly what you meant by TOS. Thus my post. Anyhow, go Lions! Could they possibly be the only Detroit sports team that doesn't experience first place 1/4 of the way through the season? Of course, that's only 4 games in, but that's plenty of time for them to suck.

Actually, they were first place that far in last year, but not because of good things THEY did, more about the other teams being even more horrible.

Unibomber
05-26-2006, 10:48 PM
Even if you wanted to go there I don't know how you could stand the trojan spyware, the pop ups and the annoying green underlined advertising links in every post.

My Norton firewall started seizing up everytime I used to go there.

[smilie=rofl.gif]

HAHA!!

Vinny
06-02-2006, 04:46 PM
This seemed like the best spot to put this, feel free to move it if need be. Didn't want to start a new thread, though.

I so want to believe in the hope this article seems to be offering, but I'm so jaded anymore that I'm forcing myslef not too. Here's a good fluff piece though:

Pass the MikeBy Dan Wetzel, Yahoo! Sports
June 2, 2006
http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/us/sp/cn/headshots/dan_wetzel_4.jpghttp://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/us/sp/p/yse_lo_70x24_2.gifALLEN PARK, Mich. – Mike Martz isn't a head coach anymore – he's the Detroit Lions' offensive coordinator – but he sure sounds like the same old Mad Mike who used to blast his players back in St. Louis in his dry, dial-tone voice.
He still looks like the distracted scientist who always seems to have a play swirling in the back of his mind. He still kind of acts like a guy whose rep around the NFL was that he always thinks he's the smartest guy in the room – and probably is.
In essence, Mike Martz is giving the woeful Lions (21 victories in five seasons) exactly what they need: another quality, demanding coach and a sense of long-missing cockiness.
Whether Martz's brashness becomes a problem here remains to be seen. Rod Marinelli, Detroit's first-year head coach, had never been a coordinator in the league before taking the top job. So maybe a veteran hand is what he needs. Or maybe it will turn into a power struggle.
Or who really knows anything except, of course, that the days of laidback Camp Mariucci are long gone. Thursday's minicamp session was about Marinelli purposely pacing around at one end of the field, defensive coordinator Donnie Henderson barking at the other and Martz being, well, Mike Martz, and not holding back the way a coach usually does.

Martz on the overall condition of the team: "The team is grossly out of shape."

Martz on quarterback Joey Harrington, who asked to be released after just preliminary meetings with the new regime: "It was such a drastic change from what he had been doing he felt it was going to be just too hard … I was a little surprised by it."

Martz on wide receiver Charles Rogers, the second overall pick in the 2003 draft who has battled substance-abuse problems and seemingly disinterest in the game: "[At first] he couldn't put his foot on the ground and change directions early because he wasn't in very good shape. … Charles is beginning to get in shape."

This is Martz and this is probably just what the Lions, who spent so many draft picks trying to build an offense, need. There is little doubt Martz is one of the NFL's most creative offensive minds – he was the architect of St. Louis' "Greatest Show on Turf" that led the Rams to two Super Bowls (winning one when he was O.C., losing one as head coach).
Detroit went from a player's coach to a bull dog's coach at the head man and both coordinator positions. There isn't going to be anymore coasting. There isn't going to be anymore excuses.
It is little wonder the team was punished by the league for excessive workouts earlier this spring.
"Who knows where this thing is going," Martz said Thursday. "That's what's so much fun about it. We didn't know in '99 [during the Rams' Super Bowl-winning season] what was going to happen. But once these guys buy into it and get in shape, they learn the pieces. Then you start mixing and matching a little bit and then it becomes a lot of fun for them, too.
"You can't evaluate a receiver until he is completely in shape. You can't. You have a wide receiver that is out of shape and he runs a bad route and drops balls. So you have to get them in great shape before you can have an idea what they are."
Martz mentioned shape and conditioning about every other sentence. Outside of a few guys – such as wideout Eddie Drummond – just about everyone was called out.
"For what we do, they are not in very good shape," Martz said. "We want to be able to, on every snap, be able to sprint down the field. We don't run guys in and out. The conditioning of what we do lends itself to maybe a different mode in camp."
Detroit has some weapons – more wide receivers than perhaps the team can keep – and two new quarterbacks in Jon Kitna and Josh McCown (not to mention holdover Dan Orlovsky who Martz likes). Then there is running back Kevin Jones, who Martz envisions in a Marshall Faulk-esque role.
That may sound farfetched, except Martz isn't lacking for credibility.
"We use a lot of our cut-ups from St. Louis," he said. "And they look at the cut-ups and I say, 'What you need to do is project yourself into this situation and how it was done.' Once they are in shape, they start to see themselves starting to do those types of things."
"It is a good crew," he continued. "And they are learning the work ethic. And they are willing. That is the biggest thing I've seen. I'm not fighting anybody. They are open and receptive and learning what they are supposed to do."
Martz didn't think he would be coaching this year. A heart illness sidelined him for the final 11 games of the 2005 season before he and the Rams parted ways. He figured he'd take it slow, recharge and see what was out there for 2007.
"My family had really discussed with me, 'Take the time off,' " Martz said. "They wanted to make sure, 'Are you healthy?' And I had felt like maybe that is what going to do."
Then along came the Lions and new coach Marinelli, who has never been anything but a position coach in the NFL (most recently in Tampa Bay). It's not an impossible leap to head coach – it hasn't hampered Andy Reid any – but that doesn't mean most guys would have the self-confidence to put a more qualified guy in a coordinator spot, which says a great deal about Marinelli.
"Rod was real persistent," Martz said. "I am finding out and these players are too [that] you can't say no to him. When you spend a half hour with him one on one, you either want to coach for him or play for him. So I got real excited when I got to meet him. This was an environment that would be a lot of fun for me.
"He was so easy to talk to. You know, the best quality of a leader is a servant's mentality. You never felt like as a head coach he is talking down to you. I'll tell you what, there couldn't be a better place for me. It was the right place at the right time."
Detroit's front office is cognizant of the situation, though. No one wants to have the experienced Super Bowl coordinator overshadowing the rookie head man. Thursday's media session was Martz's first with Detroit-area press since he was hired in February. There won't be another for awhile. It is actually part of what Martz has found so enjoyable about his new job.
"All your time and focus is on just football," he said. "And that's a lot of fun. It's who you are. I really enjoy what I am doing right now a great deal."
Even if that means beating down and then building up a group of players Martz feels is not ready to compete after slacking for so long.
"The conditioning part if it makes this very uncomfortable," he said. "It is hard to evaluate anyone when they are out of shape. They don't do anything well."
Mike Martz, head coach or not, isn't going to start holding his tongue now. [I]Dan Wetzel is Yahoo! Sports' national columnist. Dan is the author of two new books.

"Glory Road", with Don Haskins, is about the legendary coach of 1966 NCAA champion Texas Western, whose decision to start five black players was instrumental in integrating college teams in the South. A Disney movie of the same name is now playing in theaters.

Also on sale now is "Runnin' Rebel: Shark Tales of 'Extra Benefits,' Frank Sinatra and Winning It All" with colorful former UNLV coach Jerry Tarkanian.

Send Dan a question or comment for potential use in a future column or webcast.

TK
06-12-2006, 08:17 AM
There isn't going to be anymore excuses.

That are be some great english.

Seems like the team has really taken to Martz and the difficult practices, despite the lawsuit (which looks like it was just one asshole). I still can't believe how bad/lazy this team was under Marriucci. No wonder they got hurt constantly - Mooch never pushed them at all, they just waltzed through camps and practices, then got slaughtered on game day. In fact, I can't believe the Lions ever won a game under Mooch. What a complete waste of time that was.