WTFDetroit.com

View Full Version : MLB 2k6

DrRay11
04-10-2006, 03:35 PM
Came out today for the 360, and is the only Major League choice unless you have a PS2. Anybody have the game? If so, what do you think?

Moodini31
04-10-2006, 09:00 PM
Came out today for the 360, and is the only Major League choice unless you have a PS2. Anybody have the game? If so, what do you think?

I heard the gameplay of this game is based on over 3 years of stat research. For example, if Randy Johnson usually throws a 2-1 change-up when facing Man Ram, he will most likely throw a 2-1 change-up to Man Ram.

Sounds sweet. [smilie=2thumbsup.g:

Anthony
04-10-2006, 09:02 PM
I'm going to check it out.

DrRay11
04-10-2006, 09:20 PM
I'm more than likely picking mine up tomorrow--this may be the first review I write. I'd do one for Oblivion, but I don't think I would ever be able to stop talking...

bangpow
04-11-2006, 02:50 PM
I haven't heard much about the game so far. At this point last week, the current gen MLB 2K6 was getting teabagged.

I think I'm gonna pick the game up in a bit.

DrRay11
04-11-2006, 07:21 PM
Damn, the swing stick is hard to use.

bangpow
04-11-2006, 07:23 PM
I picked up the game a couple hours ago, but I'm stuck at work for another half hour or so.

I will be popping the game in right when i get home.

Even if the game isn't the greatest, I still feel I will get my $60 out of it. I mean, I spent about $70 yesterday before, during, and after the home opener and I had nothing to show for it but a toilet full of pu....

well, you get the point.

Moodini31
04-11-2006, 08:56 PM
I'm more than likely picking mine up tomorrow--this may be the first review I write. I'd do one for Oblivion, but I don't think I would ever be able to stop talking...

Full review would be sweet e. I was talking to one of my students' parents at parent teacher conferences abou the game (true story). He told me he could not figure out how to swing the bat. Dank, that would be frustrating. Let me know if you guys figure anything out.

About the Oblivion review, that is a Hurculean task. To fully sum up that game and list all the possibilities would take months.

DrRay11
04-12-2006, 11:21 AM
I thought I was getting the hang of it after playing home run derby for about an hour, but then I went to play a couple of games and I couldn't score a fucking run. I might just switch to a single button swing, which is another option.

DrRay11
04-12-2006, 03:58 PM
It's fucking freezing up on me, too.

Time for a nap, I'll give it another go when I awaken.

Anthony
04-12-2006, 05:03 PM
All 2K sports games always seem to have a freeze bug in them. Or is that just me?

DrRay11
04-12-2006, 06:51 PM
All 2K sports games always seem to have a freeze bug in them. Or is that just me?

First one I've had this much trouble with. [smilie=angryfire.g:

DrRay11
04-12-2006, 07:24 PM
Apparently, if you own a hard drive, this game is nearly unplayable. I seriously can't get past the second or third inning without freezing up. This is fucking ridiculous.

GreenFuture 5 7
04-12-2006, 08:12 PM
Apparently, if you own a hard drive, this game is nearly unplayable. I seriously can't get past the second or third inning without freezing up. This is fucking ridiculous.

dang that sucks i have ps2 and got this game and i love it the hitting is pretty hard but i have been playing non stop so i kinda got used to it but i think i am gonna try some games on single button swing see how it is.

Black Dynamite
04-12-2006, 10:39 PM
i never got the 2k love myself. their basketball games are stiff, their footbAll games are ok at best, and the baseball has never been good.

Cross
04-13-2006, 10:53 AM
I actually think 2k6 is better than live, well atleast for basketball.

Black Dynamite
04-13-2006, 11:12 AM
neither game is great. i rather play Live though. 2k6 is still too stiff looking.and the 360 version looks great on some players and shitty on others. that rip hamilton looks wack as fuck. If they every came up with smoother gameplay and graphics that werent so stiff looking. i'd play them more often than live. but all b-ball games suck as of late. i do like doing slam dunk competitions on live and the one on one is still kinda fun.

DrRay11
04-13-2006, 11:20 AM
i never got the 2k love myself. their basketball games are stiff, their footbAll games are ok at best, and the baseball has never been good.

To each their own, 'chach. I would definitely have MVP Baseball if it were available. I didn't get an NBA game this year, because as someone mentioned, they're all kind of on downtime at this point.

Anthony
04-13-2006, 11:22 AM
why didnt MVP come out? I have 04 and its a very good game I thought (except when you figure out how to hit HR's every time, then its whack)

Did 2k6 pull a "madden" on baseball?

Black Dynamite
04-13-2006, 11:27 AM
why didnt MVP come out? I have 04 and its a very good game I thought (except when you figure out how to hit HR's every time, then its whack)

Did 2k6 pull a "madden" on baseball?
dont know how that worked out. because 989 was able to get baseball rights. So i'll have to look it up.

DrRay11
04-13-2006, 11:29 AM
All I know is that 2k has MLB rights of some sort, or else there'd be an MVP out now for me to play. I'm a little too lazy to look it up, I'll let Rorschach handle it. [smilie=army.gif]

Black Dynamite
04-13-2006, 11:33 AM
yea they do. but yet somehow it doesnt stop MLB the Show from being made. interesting. 989 must've bought in on the rights too.

DrRay11
04-13-2006, 04:04 PM
Wow, I was able to get in a whole 6 innings today before it froze. Bravo.

Anthony
04-13-2006, 04:10 PM
E, why dont you just take it back?

bangpow
04-13-2006, 04:21 PM
yea they do. but yet somehow it doesnt stop MLB the Show from being made. interesting. 989 must've bought in on the rights too.

2K Sports bought the exclusive rights to the MLB license for 3rd party games only. Therefor, Sony and Microsoft aren't shut out because of the deal because they are allowed to use the license on their own system. Since 989/SCEA is owned by Sony, they were allowed to use the license for the PS2.

Anyway, I don't like MLB 2K6 at all. Mine is starting to freeze up on me and to be honest, the game just feels sluggish. The controls just aren't crisp at all and I don't feel as if i'm in control of my players.

I'm kind of in a bind because I have absolutely no desire to play the game and somehow I gotta put together a review for my site. I think it will get an INCOMPLETE, but that's even a stretch.

Black Dynamite
04-13-2006, 04:24 PM
I'm kind of in a bind because I have absolutely no desire to play the game and somehow I gotta put together a review for my site. I think it will get an INCOMPLETE, but that's even a stretch.
If you dont bash that game like you should you'll be doing a 2k/sega/bias disservice to whoever reads the review.

DrRay11
04-13-2006, 04:28 PM
E, why dont you just take it back?

Stores like EB don't take games back, just offer you 26 dollars store credit. [smilie=angryfire.g:

The game would be reasonably fun if it weren't for this issue since I'm getting used to the flat-out idiotic baserunning and fielding mechanics. Damn.

bangpow
04-13-2006, 04:32 PM
If you dont bash that game like you should you'll be doing a 2k/sega/bias disservice to whoever reads the review.

Oh, it is unacceptable to have an exclusive license and put out a product that doesn't even work.

It makes me want to bask all the EA haters out there as to who has done a better job with their exclusive license, because it sure as hell hasn't been 2K Sports.

Although, their College Hoops game is fantastic. ;)

Moodini31
04-16-2006, 01:15 PM
neither game is great. i rather play Live though. 2k6 is still too stiff looking.and the 360 version looks great on some players and shitty on others. that rip hamilton looks wack as fuck. If they every came up with smoother gameplay and graphics that werent so stiff looking. i'd play them more often than live. but all b-ball games suck as of late. i do like doing slam dunk competitions on live and the one on one is still kinda fun.

The gameplay on NBA 2K6 is pretty stiff, but overall, it's a great game. I'm not sure where the stiffness came from. The early 2K games on the Dreamcast were fluid. For some reason, when they came over to different systems, the stiffness showed up. I first noticed it on NBA 2K3 for PS2. IMO, still a great basketball game and superior to NBA Live, which is more arcade-ish and has much worse graphics.

Moodini31
04-16-2006, 01:18 PM
Apparently 2K sports is taking notice of the bugs in MLB 2K6 for the 360.

From Gamespot.com-

MLB 2K6 committing errors
Xbox 360 version of game causing problems for some players; 2K Sports recognizes issue, working on resolution.
If you're scoring at home, it's E-2K. The first baseball game to hit next-generation consoles is having trouble getting out of its metaphorical first inning, according to reports from the Web. Soon after the game hit store shelves on Tuesday, several gamers began to report problems with the game freezing during play.

2K Sports has acknowledged the problem's existence, but has not yet offered up a solution. On a forum post on the game's official Web site, one of the administrators posted the following message: "For those customers experiencing technical issues with Major League Baseball 2K6 on Xbox 360, 2K Sports is aware of the 'freeze' problem some customers are experiencing and is working on a solution. 2K Sports is working with Microsoft and a solution will be available in the very near future. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this has caused to your playing experience."

The source of the problem remains elusive, and instances of the freezing issue appear indiscriminate--forum posters have reported issues in both franchise mode and exhibition mode.

Many gamers are irate over the problem, and aren't willing to wait for a patch to fix the bugs. Some have come up with their own solutions, recommending that gamers attempt to clear the system's cache or delete the game's VIP profiles (GameSpot has not tested this--users who attempt these methods do so at their own risk).

Requests for comment from 2K Sports went unanswered as of press time.

I hope they get this figured out because I was really thinking about getting this game.

bangpow
04-16-2006, 01:33 PM
Apparently 2K sports is taking notice of the bugs in MLB 2K6 for the 360.

From Gamespot.com-

MLB 2K6 committing errors
Xbox 360 version of game causing problems for some players; 2K Sports recognizes issue, working on resolution.
If you're scoring at home, it's E-2K. The first baseball game to hit next-generation consoles is having trouble getting out of its metaphorical first inning, according to reports from the Web. Soon after the game hit store shelves on Tuesday, several gamers began to report problems with the game freezing during play.

2K Sports has acknowledged the problem's existence, but has not yet offered up a solution. On a forum post on the game's official Web site, one of the administrators posted the following message: "For those customers experiencing technical issues with Major League Baseball 2K6 on Xbox 360, 2K Sports is aware of the 'freeze' problem some customers are experiencing and is working on a solution. 2K Sports is working with Microsoft and a solution will be available in the very near future. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this has caused to your playing experience."

The source of the problem remains elusive, and instances of the freezing issue appear indiscriminate--forum posters have reported issues in both franchise mode and exhibition mode.

Many gamers are irate over the problem, and aren't willing to wait for a patch to fix the bugs. Some have come up with their own solutions, recommending that gamers attempt to clear the system's cache or delete the game's VIP profiles (GameSpot has not tested this--users who attempt these methods do so at their own risk).

Requests for comment from 2K Sports went unanswered as of press time.

I hope they get this figured out because I was really thinking about getting this game.

The few innings that i was able to actually play, i didn't really like the game. i just never really felt like I was in control of what was going on.

DrRay11
04-17-2006, 05:57 PM
Expect a full review from me soon.

Moodini31
04-18-2006, 06:16 PM
Has anyone actually finished a game? I mean, is it even possible? Or does it freeze everytime?

DrRay11
04-18-2006, 06:20 PM
I reformatted after I beat the main quest in Oblivion (I'm going to play through again as a Khajiit and be a thief and be motherfuckin' evil as compared to last game where I was a typical human hero), and I'm playing through games fine now. I'll review it from that objective, unbiased by the freezing issue. Apparently, the issue has to do with the hard drive, although thouse without a HDD have also been saying they've had freezing, but I can't imagine how since mine worked when I either removed the HDD or reformatted it... But yes, I'm about 20 games into franchise on 360.

bangpow
04-18-2006, 07:03 PM
Posted by bangpow on Saturday, April 15, 2006 (21:23:33)
From 2K Sports.com's forums...

"2K Sports is still finalizing a solution to alleviate the "freeze" issue on Major League Baseball 2k6 for Xbox 360 that some of our consumers are experiencing. We should have a downloadable patch available once it has fully tested to first party compliance standards.

In the meantime, our dedicated 2K Sports QA team has tested and confirmed two work-around methods for those consumers who are experiencing the "freeze" issue:

1) Remove or disable the HDD

or,

2) Load three different Xbox 360 games to the main title screen of each game then load Major League Baseball 2K6 on Xbox 360. All three Xbox 360 games must be completely different before loading Major League Baseball 2K6.

While we realize that these measures may seem unconventional, our 2K Sports QA Team has tested both methods and both will remedy issues that are causing the Major League Baseball 2K6 "freeze" issue on the Xbox 360. Again, we truly apologize for any inconvenience to your playing experience.

Please stay tuned for more updates. Thank you for your attention."