WTFDetroit.com

View Full Version : Lions Locker Room A Mess (updated- C. Rogers to be cut?)

giffman
03-22-2006, 09:24 AM
Interesting read. My apologies if this has already been posted elsewhere:

Column:Marinelli won't put up with petty jealousies, selfish attitudes

Wednesday, March 22, 2006
By Tom Kowalski

ALLEN PARK -- As it turns out, Joey Harrington might not be the only veteran Lions player who is shown the door.

Harrington, the former starting Detroit Lions quarterback, will be released or traded largely because of his inability to be a valued leader and because of his failure to adapt to a cohesive team-wide philosophy.

The problems in the Lions' locker room, however, go way beyond Harrington's issues. That locker room is full of petty jealousies, insecurities and immature football players. The sense of "team" is almost nonexistent. Players move around in little cliques, with most of their focus on themselves rather than any team-inspired goal.

How bad is it? Last season, some players -- on both offense and defense -- were extremely resentful of each other because of where they were in the pecking order of pre-game introductions. Players were sniping at each other because there were jealousies over who was more deserving of getting those final, supposedly more prestigious introductions.

There have also been conflicts between players involving contract situations, coaching favoritism, social status and personal clashes.

According to several sources, new head coach Rod Marinelli has gone through an exhaustive investigation of the locker room situation, talking to everybody in the building and even some outside. Marinelli now has a grip on what he's getting into in terms of hot spots in the locker room and the many brush fires that could be sparked.

While many are expecting a player revolt when Marinelli begins his physically demanding training camp practices, it appears more likely that some players will be weeded out because of their reluctance to buy into the team-first mentality.

There is going to be a lot of whining and complaining about the aches and pains -- and tedium -- of Marinelli's grueling workouts, but the head coach is prepared for that. He'll have no problem dealing with that because it comes with the territory. Marinelli will simply continue to grind until the players realize that his way is the best way to get better individually and as a team.

Marinelli is always saying the best way to build morale is by improving a player's skill level. Once they get that confidence, not just in themselves but in the program as well, then a team can begin to come together. So, Marinelli is willing to put up with some kicking and screaming as he attempts to lift this team out of its self-induced slumber.

What Marinelli won't tolerate, however, is selfishness, laziness or indifference. If a player is willing to work, Marinelli will be as patient as possible in trying to teach, train and coach him -- regardless of skill level. However, if a player wants to get by only on his resume or press clippings, he's going to get booted off the team -- regardless of skill level, draft status or financial commitment.

Marinelli was going to give Harrington a chance, but as soon as the quarterback showed he didn't want to play along, Marinelli couldn't broom him fast enough.

The Lions have a couple of other high draft picks -- wide receivers Charles Rogers and Mike Williams -- who have been disappointments for a variety of reasons. They'll get a clean slate with Marinelli but not a lot of wiggle room. Those two can take a small measure of comfort in knowing those rules apply to everyone with equal force.

There won't be any "bus-ticket-out-of-town" speeches or "my-way-or-the-highway" declarations. Marinelli isn't going to threaten anybody, he's simply going to give an equal and opposite reaction to whatever actions are taken by the players.

The Lions are in their current mess because the previous coaching regimes allowed the immaturity and pettiness to get out of hand. Many of Detroit's young players have never experienced a locker room that's any different; they've grown used to the constant squabbling and bitterness over trivial matters.

That's not going to happen under Marinelli. Oh, there will still be some jealousies and conflicts because that's human nature, but they won't be able to manifest themselves into a team-wide malaise. Marinelli isn't interested in any rebuilding program because he plans to put a winning team on the field as soon as possible. If that means tearing it down a little before he builds it up, so be it.

It's going to be an interesting training camp.

MoTown
03-22-2006, 10:48 AM
I'm not giving into any of the hype. However, I do think that Millen actually made a good coaching choice. I don't care if the Lions only win 3 or 4 games this year (as they probably will), as long as I'm not watching a bunch of overpaid pussies play football, I'll be happier than I was last year.

Glenn
03-22-2006, 10:54 AM
re: pussies

I heard an interview with John Bloom yesterday (used to be on WDFN). He does the Arizona Cardinals PA, their post game and Monday radio shows now.

Anyhoo, he had nothing but good things to say about McCown. Says he's an absolute bull, that isn't afraid to tuck and run when the pocket collapses. And you will hardly even see him slide, which I love. He mentioned that McCown also have very deceptive "escapability" and even a little foot speed, a really solid athlete. (Bloom also added that you'll never meet a better guy, either, which is a plus).

I used to hate when that pussy Harrington would just barely cross the line o' scrimmage on 3rd and 8 and then slide for a 1 yard gain.

I'm excited about McCown and Kitna. I wasn't so much about Kitna alone, but if he can hold the fort until McCown grasps Martz's offense, we could have something here.

I like Marinelli so far too. I'll have a better feeling for how I feel about him after training camp and after a few of his post game pressers.

Black Dynamite
03-22-2006, 11:13 AM
Mcown is an int. Magnet at times. Kinda like jake plummer but not as bad. he's a mobile guy who likes to force plays sometimes when he shouldnt. it'll be a good test for all your big receivers on how well they can catch the ball in coverage.

Glenn
03-22-2006, 11:20 AM
Mcown is an int. Magnet at times. Kinda like jake plummer but not as bad. he's a mobile guy who likes to force plays sometimes when he shouldnt. it'll be a good test for all your big receivers on how well they can catch the ball in coverage.

You know what though? I really don't mind interceptions as long as touchdowns come along with them. I'd much rather have a game with 4 TDs and 3 INTs than 0/0 or 1/1 or 0/1, etc.

If you can go 4/3 or even 3/3, then it's up to your defense to stop the opposition for a couple of those extra possessions, and you've got a win.

I'm so sick of playing it safe, I'll take a gambler right about now.

I think this is getting a bit off topic now though, sorry giffy.

Black Dynamite
03-22-2006, 11:39 AM
giffman's thinking about goats. he doesnt mind. Well the same can be said for Kerry Collins. you can have him. i'm sure he'll make for some fun games and losses.

giffman
03-22-2006, 12:31 PM

You know what though? I really don't mind interceptions as long as touchdowns come along with them. I'd much rather have a game with 4 TDs and 3 INTs than 0/0 or 1/1 or 0/1, etc.

If you can go 4/3 or even 3/3, then it's up to your defense to stop the opposition for a couple of those extra possessions, and you've got a win.

I'm so sick of playing it safe, I'll take a gambler right about now.

I think this is getting a bit off topic now though, sorry giffy.

Don't worrry, I'm used to it from you!!

giffman
03-22-2006, 12:32 PM
giffman's thinking about goats. he doesnt mind. Well the same can be said for Kerry Collins. you can have him. i'm sure he'll make for some fun games and losses.

Kerry Collins daydreams about goats, too? I have a new favorite quarterback!!!!!

Black Dynamite
03-22-2006, 01:05 PM

Kerry Collins daydreams about goats, too? I have a new favorite quarterback!!!!!
if that pleases you. it can mean that too. statue man can be your new hero. as long as he isnt a raider.

H1Man
03-22-2006, 04:53 PM
PFT had an article along the same lines but I didn't want to post it because I figured that PFT (as usual) was trying to stir the pot.

LIONS FEAR A REVOLT

We're told that management of the Detroit Lions is bracing themselves for a backlash once new coach Rod Marinelli begins to apply his military mindset to a locker room containing more than a few guys who might not be inclined to respond to such tactics.

Although the hiring of Marinelli won praise in some circles since he's the kind of take-the-bull-by-the-bouncy-things leader that the team needs, there's only so much of the roster that can be turned over in a single offseason. So when guys like receiver Mike Williams (who showed up, we hear, for offseason workouts overweight) or receiver Charles Rogers (who continues to be a lazy turd, we're told) start to piss and moan about Marinelli's manner, other guys might be influenced by their complaints.

The other problem is that, if Marinelli and the Lions take liberties with any of the offseason workout rules, one of the guys who haven't bought in to Marinelli's approach could blow the whistle to the NFLPA, which is exactly what happened during Tom Coughlin's first season with the Giants and Denny Green's first year with the Cardinals.

So maybe, in the end, the decision to boot quarterback Joey Harrington sooner rather than later was an effort to win over the players, many of whom had decided that Harrington should go. Indeed, the move could win over just enough guys to keep the ones who might be inclined to rebel in check.
http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

H1Man
03-29-2006, 06:43 PM
According to Millen, Lions adjusting to more intense workouts

It should come as no surprise that the Detroit Lions' public relations department decided not to make players available to the media during the first week of the team's off-season workout program.

They probably won't be available during the second or third week, either. In fact, it's possible that players won't be available to the media until the team's first minicamp in mid-April. By that time, the players will have grown more accustomed to the demands of new head coach Rod Marinelli and are likely to be a little more positive in their remarks.

After the first week of workouts, which are more intense for the Lions than they have been in the past, there has been grumbling from some of the players.

"I would hope so," Lions president Matt Millen said at the NFL owners' meetings here on Monday. "If we don't have any grumbling, we wouldn't be doing it right."

Marinelli was hired, in part, because of his stern, no-nonsense approach to football. He stresses focus, discipline, communication and attention to detail, and it's all funneled through a hard-driving work ethic.

"I would say this: After that first week, they're getting a better idea of what's going to be expected of them," Millen said. "I think that's fair to say. I know some guys are excited about it and there are probably some guys who are less excited."

Millen said the differences between Marinelli and past Lions' coaching regimes aren't hard to see.

"Just what's expected of them, the work they're going to be required to do, how we're going to do things, the detail in which it'll be done, all those things," he said.

Two players who will bear watching during the off-season and through training camp are former first-round draft picks Charles Rogers and Mike Williams. Both wide receivers are highly talented but have, so far, produced little. When asked about their early progress under Marinelli's watchful eye, Millen said: "Not great, not bad. They're learning, they've got a lot of work (ahead of them).

"Once they're there, Mike and Charles and Roy (Williams, a fellow receiver) -- all of them -- they'll do the work, that's not the problem. The problem is learning to be consistent with the work, day in and day out, at a high level."

According to team sources, Mike Williams showed up overweight and his conditioning level wasn't high.

"He's doing fine," Millen said. "Am I concerned about it? Not right now. The approach right now is pretty good."

The demand on the players isn't just coming from the head coach because everyone on Marinelli's staff mirrors his approach to coaching. On some coaching staffs, there are good cops and bad cops, which gives players an outlet to vent their frustrations. That won't be the case with the Lions coaches, who are all bad cops. Or good cops, depending on your point of view.

"The demanding part is common all the way through (the coaching staff)," Millen said. "You won't find a sympathetic shoulder anywhere on that staff, which is the way it should be. If you're going to hold a standard, hold the standard and we're going to be accountable to the standard. That's something we all agree with, from the top all the way through."

Millen and Marinelli, along with several other key front office personnel, are attending the owners' meetings. The workouts, which will last a total of 14 weeks, are continuing in Allen Park. In addition to quarterback Joey Harrington, two other veterans are not taking part.

Left tackle Jeff Backus reported on the first day, but hasn't been back. Backus, who is recovering from ankle surgery, was tagged as the team's franchise player, but has yet to sign his one-year, $6.9 million offer sheet. Negotiations on a long-term deal are ongoing.

Defensive tackle Dan Wilkinson is still deciding whether to retire. Millen had hoped to have a face-to-face conversation with the 12-year veteran but that probably isn't going to happen because they've had a difficult time scheduling a meeting. Still, Millen hopes to have more conversations with Wilkinson about the possibility of returning.

Millen would like to have an answer soon because, if Wilkinson does not return, the Lions will have to find his replacement in free agency or the NFL draft next month.

Six teams have inquired about the possibility of trading for Harrington and a seventh appears interested. Millen said he's been contacted by the Cincinnati Bengals, Miami Dolphins, Seattle Seahawks, Kansas City Chiefs, Denver Broncos and New York Jets. Millen also had preliminary discussions with the Baltimore Ravens.

Millen hopes to talk to Harrington next week to see which teams he'd be interested in joining. Because Harrington has to restructure his current contract before a trade can be completed, he holds the leverage in dictating which team he goes to.
http://www.mlive.com/lions/stories/index.ssf?/base/sports-1/1143544232220900.xml&coll=1&thispage=1

Gecko
04-06-2006, 12:37 PM
I am very disappointed in Williams. With this continuing theme I think the Lions should draft only players who have an outstanding work ethic and that are gym rats, regardless of talent when they pick.

http://www.mlive.com/lions/weblog/index.ssf?/mtlogs/mlive_lions/archives/2006_04.html#128489

Rogers, Williams not impressive

It's just three weeks into the 14-week off-season workout program, but sources say receivers Charles Rogers and Mike Williams have not impressed the new coaching staff.

Rogers has been attending the workouts but the coaches have been underwhelmed by his attitude and focus and the rumors of his hard-partying lifestyle won't go away. As for Williams, he didn't show up for any of the workouts last week. His agent said he left because of a "family matter.''

Williams, who is overweight and out of shape, attended the first four workouts and then took 10 days off before returning on Monday. That's not exactly the level of commitment the coaching staff is looking for.

If the receivers don't turn up the intensity and production through training camp, they can forget about winning starting positions -- they'll be fighting for roster spots.

Shugadaddi
04-06-2006, 01:12 PM
BRING BACK SCOTTIE VINES!!!!!

Glenn
04-06-2006, 01:20 PM
BRING BACK SCOTTIE VINES!!!!!

I agree.

I mean the dude was probably the Lions offensive MVP last year.

Heart > draft position

H1Man
04-06-2006, 09:47 PM
Perhaps this is the reason why the Lions are signing WRs (Bradford & Furrey)?

H1Man
04-07-2006, 08:18 PM
Lions coaches already ruffling feathers

In the first three weeks of off-season workouts, the message the coaching staff is delivering to players is this: Get comfortable with being uncomfortable.

The coaches are making it clear that starting jobs will be earned, not assigned on previous performance or draft or contract status. The coaching staff has already ratcheted up the intensity during their brief periods on the practice field; some players (including veterans) have already been cussed out loudly during drills.

And another surprise is coming. Head coach Rod Marinelli is a strong believer in having his starters play on special teams and that's not going to go over well with some of the Lions. Marinelli dismisses any notion that players might become disgruntled. At the owners meeting last week, Marinelli said that if Pro Bowl players like Derrick Brooks and Ronde Barber could play on special teams in Tampa, the players in Detroit can handle it, too.

I'll say it again -- this is going to be an interesting training camp.
http://www.mlive.com/lions/weblog/index.ssf?/mtlogs/mlive_lions/archives/2006_04.html#128930

H1Man
04-10-2006, 05:20 PM
Why Backus won't attend minicamp

Left tackle Jeff Backus probably won't show up when the voluntary minicamp begins Tuesday and it's all about his contract. Backus' unhappiness doesn't stem from just the current negotiations, but the fact the Lions told him last year that they'd sign him to a long-term deal and then never followed through.

This is a contract "dispute'' that's going to have a happy ending, even if it isn't this year. The Lions have until July 15 to sign Backus to a long-term deal without losing the franchise tag for the duration of his contract. After July 15, Backus will be forced to sign the one-year $6.9 million tender.

Even if that happens, the Lions still plan on signing Backus to a long-term deal by next summer. My feeling is that it's going to get done some time this July because that's the art of negotiation. The Lions aren't going to give their best offer now because there's no justification for it -- just as Backus' agent won't come down to his final number. You can't have an artificial deadline.

When July rolls around, the two sides will get down to business. Backus isn't happy now, but when he sees the money he's going to get, all of those feelings will be gone -- it happens every year on every team. Backus isn't going to get what he wants -- nobody does -- but he'll eventually be a happy camper. It just won't be this week.

http://www.mlive.com/lions/weblog/index.ssf?/mtlogs/mlive_lions/archives/2006_04.html#129683

H1Man
04-11-2006, 11:24 PM
Killer WDFN Notes: Get ready to hear players whining

On the eve of the first minicamp Tom Kowalski stepped into co-host Sports Radio 1130 Detroit's Stoney and Wojo Show alongside Mike Stone. They ventured into a 12 minute discussion about the Lions' future and the kind of demanding work players will now face under the new coaching regime.
Listen to the interview here. (http://www.mlive.com/lions/audio/index.ssf?/lions/audio/kowalski2.html)

* Kowalski says a lot of players are embracing Rod Marinelli's strong leadership. They were brought up believing a coach should be demanding and strong, but there are some guys "who just aren't into it. They enjoyed the kind-of country club atmosphere" under Steve Mariucci and Marty Mornhinweg. Their phrase was "freshen up." Marinelli doesn't want anyone fresh. He doesn't want to kill them, but he wants attention to detail so they're going to ride them.

* Some veteran guys are being cussed out on the field in a not so gentle ways. "These guys sticklers for details, and when you don't do it right it's not 'Hey, let's go get them again.' It's more like 'Listen, you...' and then it goes." It's going to take some getting used to.

* Stoney says these Lions have no leg to stand on in complaining because they've been horrible. Kowalski says he's wrong. "You would think that they don't have anything to stand on, but there are so many players in that lockerroom who believe that they're playing great but it's everyone else who stinks." It was so bad last season that offensive players were so upset with where they were introduced in pregame introductions that they were actually complaining to each other in the lockerroom because they felt they were being disrespected. Dick Jauron got so fed up that no one was introduced. "They think they're good. They're not good." This staff is about to tell them that they're no good.

* Kowalski says there will be no rebellion because there is no one who is sympathetic to their complaints. Every coach on this staff is just like Marinelli, they will not take any guff from any of these guys. There is no good-cop, bad-cop. They're all bad cops. "There is no buffer. It's just 'do it this way, or get over it.'"

* New theme from Lions' coaches: get comfortable being uncomfortable. "You're going to work hard. You're going to get better. Then you're going to embrace us because you're going to see we're making you better." Kowalski says watch, the first four weeks of camp there'll be a lot of whining going on.

* Stoney asks if Rod Marinelli is going to be like Larry Brown, breaking them down so he can build them back up? Killer says yes. They're going to start from basic fundamentals. This is why a guy like Dre Bly may have a problem. "Some players are already talking about this, where they think that Bly and Marinelli are eventually going to go head-to-head. Dre Bly likes to freelance. Dre Bly likes to take certain chances. In Rod Marinelli's defense you don't take chances." It's a team defense, it's not about Pro Bowls or interceptions. "I've already had a couple players tell me that they think that (a Bly-Marinelli clash) might (happen)."

* Stoney says Bly is a good player, the coach has to set a line and Bly should be an example. Kowalski says this team will have one voice: Marinelli's. Even with the hiring of strong personalities like Donnie Henderson and Mike Martz, it doesn't matter. "This is Rod Marinelli's team, and everyone knows it."

* Stoney asks about Killer's Jeff Backus report. Kowalski believes Backus is taking negotiations too personally. "I think he's taking it personally because I think he's disappointed the Lions didn't give him the long-term deal last year when he says they said they'd do it. I don't think we should blow this into a big deal because I don't think it's going to linger for very long." He'll get a long-term deal in late June or early July. "I think he should report."

* Stoney says Backus is another guy who doesn't have a leg to stand on because of the way he played last year. Killer says "He did not play well last year. Even before he got hurt he did not play well." Stoney says he's decent, but he's never made a Pro Bowl. Kowalski says he's not great, but important. "Look at what Hutchinson got as a guard. You don't think somebody would've paid Jeff Backus some money? You're wrong!" You can see all his warts, but he was the second-highest rated free agent tackle behind Jon Runyan and "there's only a sliver of difference between them." "People around the league are not down on Jeff Backus."

* Caller asks why Dominic Raiola got a big contract? He's too small, and he "gets blown off the line, big time." Kowalski says Martz "absolutely loves him." He does his job very well. It was the previous coaching regime that put him in the worst-possible positions. "You do not ask a guy that size to block Grady Jackson one-on-one at the goalline. You don't do that. That's not on Raiola, that's on the coaching staff... They can win with Raiola."

* Stoney asks, sarcastically, "They're not going to 'Follow Raiola'? Wow." Killer says it's hard to believe, but they're not going to ask players to do something they cannot do.

* Caller says he believed Dre Bly was more worried about making the Pro Bowl and not whether the team is winning and that the WRs are prima donnas and didn't want to practice even though Joey Harrington wanted to but nobody showed up. All of a sudden the Detroit media are saying these are actually true. Kowalski says cornerbacks like Dre Bly wanting to freelance are not unusual. "A lot of cornerbacks like to do that. Especially the good ones." Marinelli may just not buy into it. As for the WRs, even as soft as the previous coaching staff was even they didn't like how lazy the WRs are. "Everybody keeps telling me 'Oh, no, Charles Rogers and Mike Williams -- they're doing great. It's going to be wonderful.' I'm telling you, until I see it I'm not buying it."

* Caller asks if the run game is going to open up under the new offense. Kowalski says Marinelli "absolutely adores Kevin Jones." He will likely get the ball 20-25 times a game. Plus, Cory Schlesinger may have trouble making the roster. The new offense will be doing different things with fullback. Shawn Bryson will play more fullback. Everyone gets down on Bryson, but he's a great role player. Tom got down on him because they were replacing Kevin Jones with him, not because he was a bad player.
http://www.mlive.com/weblogs/highlightreel/index.ssf?/mtlogs/mlive_highlightreel/archives/2006_04.html#129957

H1Man
04-12-2006, 08:31 PM
LIONS DEBATE DUMPING ROGERS

The Detroit Lions are seriously considering the possibility of releasing receiver Charles Rogers, we're told. He was the second overall pick in the 2003 draft, and he missed most of his first two seasons due to two separate breaks of a collar bone.

Healthy in 2005, Rogers was suspended four games for violating the NFL's substance abuse policy. He reportedly sulked after returning from the suspension, and the team generally has been unhappy with his attitude in the wake of it.

The fact that the team is chasing him for a return of most of his signing bonus might have a little to do with that.

But because Rogers has failed to achieve any of his big-money salary escalators based on playing time and/or statistical performance, his salary is only $757,917 for 2006. So it makes little sense financially to run him out the door.

Also, cutting Rogers after June 1 would push $6.5 million or so of dead money into 2007.

In our view, we don't think that the Lions will be moving too quickly in this regard. Under the guise of giving the guy every chance to turn it around, the Lions likely will hold Rogers into training camp and the preseason. But the real motivation could be to ensure that Rogers doesn't land with another team sufficiently early in the offseason to become fully acclimated to his new squad's offensive attack.

Indeed, the only thing worse than declaring yet another top-five pick a complete bust would be to give him a chance to finally blossom elsewhere.

H1Man
05-12-2006, 09:31 PM
According to published reports, Lions players are in favor of Jon Kitna being the team's starting quarterback instead of Josh McCown. In fact, some players believe that Dan Orlovsky, not McCown, should be the No. 2 quarterback. "It's Kitna's job to lose," says one insider.
[smilie=shrug smile:

I would've figured that McCown is a Martz-type QB but I have a hard time believing that DanO is going to overtake him in the depth chart.

Black Dynamite
05-15-2006, 11:43 AM
According to published reports, Lions players are in favor of Jon Kitna being the team's starting quarterback instead of Josh McCown. In fact, some players believe that Dan Orlovsky, not McCown, should be the No. 2 quarterback. "It's Kitna's job to lose," says one insider.
[smilie=shrug smile:

I would've figured that McCown is a Martz-type QB but I have a hard time believing that DanO is going to overtake him in the depth chart.
its the players picking their qb again. i wonder if bly tallied the votes.:p

WTFchris
05-18-2006, 09:38 PM
I thought Dan O had a slow release. I doubt he moves ahead of McCown. Just because a couple guys like Dan O doesn't mean anything. It could be fellow Huskies for all we know.

TK
05-19-2006, 08:51 AM
I thought Dan O had a slow release.

Good for porn, bad for football.