WTFDetroit.com

View Full Version : Lions draft question?

FillyCheezeSteak
03-15-2006, 02:19 PM
What would your perfect Lions draft look like? We don't have a 4th round pick (gave it up last year) and lets say for argument's sake that you are only allowed to move up once in the draft (i.e. up closer in the 1st or picking up an extra 1st or 2nd somehow)

Off the top of my head I think I'd like something like this........

1st -- Mario Williams, I think this is a no-brainer
2nd -- Greg Eslinger from Minnesota (he is good enough to play center so make him a guard or move Raoila over)
3rd -- playmaking safety or another offensive lineman (N.E. finds 'em every year, maybe we should start looking)
5th -- QB
6th -- TE
7th -- MLB

H1Man
03-15-2006, 02:25 PM
1st - AJ Hawk (MLB is a huge need for this team, especially with the Cover 2 scheme)
2nd - Nick Mangold (Franchise C)
3rd - Jonathan Scott/Charles Spencer/Davin Joseph
5th - Cedric Griff (Perfect fit for the Cover 2 scheme)
6th - BPA
7th - BPA

WTFchris
03-15-2006, 02:29 PM
My perfect draft:

Trade down into the late teens area with someone wanting Huff, Jimmy Williams, Davis or another player at #9. Get an extra second rounder for moving down, possibly another late pick.

Package those extra pick(s) with next year's 3rd rounder for a very late first rounder (Denver has an extra one).

My picks:

17-19 range: Marcus McNiel (RT or LT starter)
28-32 range: Max Giles (LG starter) or Ty Hill (CB)
41st pick: Abdul Hodge (MLB starter) or Bobby Carpenter (if Lehman is better at MLB)
73rd pick: Donte Witner or Daniel Bullocks (new FS)

5th-7th rounders: TE, FB projects, best available.

WTFchris
03-15-2006, 02:32 PM
1st - AJ Hawk (MLB is a huge need for this team, especially with the Cover 2 scheme)
2nd - Nick Mangold (Franchise C)
3rd - Jonathan Scott/Charles Spencer/Davin Joseph

love it, but I don't think any of those 3 will be there when we pick.

Hawk will be gone at 5 or 6. Mangold will be a late first rounder. Scott will be a second rounder IMO.

WTFchris
03-29-2006, 11:23 AM
BTW, I am doing the Lions in the user mock on RealGM and I got Hawk at #9. What a steal.

BIG BEN'S FRO
03-29-2006, 11:34 AM
Mine would most certainly involve trading with Denver for their two first rounders. Then we draft a OL, and DB/S in the first round, a LB in the second round, and a G the third round.

WTFchris
03-29-2006, 11:57 AM
My plan for the 2nd and 3rd rounders:

1st: AJ Hawk (already taken)
2nd: OG Giles, S Whitner and Bullocks as plan B
3rd: OT Jeremy Trueblood or Daryn Colledge as plan B

JS
03-29-2006, 02:11 PM
My ideal draft is based in reality because I think the choice at 9 is going to come down to QB (Cutler or Young), Huff or trade and Detroit will trade out.

I believe there will be enough demand for Young and/or Cutler Detroit will be able to trade down. Miami or a team in that 15-22 range will make a deal for the 9th pick. According to the pick Value chart any team in that range should give us their first and second for the 9th pick. Since VY may be the prize their should be no problem getting that value IMO.

http://www.nfldraftblitz.com/pick_value_chart.htm

So for arguements sake I will say Denver is the team we deal with that mean we get the 15h and 61st pick.

So here is my Ideal

Draft:

1st rd 16th pick: Jimmy Williams CB/S
2nd rd 40th pick Eric Winston OT
2nd rd 61st pick Charles Spencer OG
3rd rd 74th pick Spencer Havner ILB
5th LB/ DL/TE best avaliable
6th CB
6th FB/RB
7th any project

Glenn
03-29-2006, 02:15 PM
If the Lions don't pull two LBs and two OL in this draft I think it's a mistake.

I'd trade down from 9 and grab two first day picks in exchange if possible.

I really think that somebody will want to go up to 9 to take a skill position player (QB, WR, RB, etc) if the Lions are not in the market for any of those, move down.

WTFchris
03-29-2006, 02:48 PM
If the Lions don't pull two LBs and two OL in this draft I think it's a mistake.

I disagree slightly. I think one LB, one DB and two OL would be ideal. Assuming Lehman and Bailey can stay on the field (big assumption), we only need one LB I think. Especially since I think Rod/Donnie will get more out of our front 7 than we have previously.

Glenn
03-29-2006, 02:51 PM
I disagree slightly. I think one LB, one DB and two OL would be ideal. Assuming Lehman and Bailey can stay on the field (big assumption), we only need one LB I think. Especially since I think Rod/Donnie will get more out of our front 7 than we have previously.

I guess that I wouldn't be willing to make that assumption.

WTFchris
03-29-2006, 03:18 PM
True. But I wouln't be willing to draft a possible backup (if Lehman and Bailey are healthy), when we have a shitty CB (bryant) and no FS. You can always take another LB in the 5th round for insurance. I think Schlagel could be had in the later rounds.