WTFDetroit.com

View Full Version : Joey Harrington officially traded to Dolphins

H1Man
03-15-2006, 09:51 AM
Apparently the Lions are still talking to Josh McCown and are interested in signing him to compete with Kitna for the starting job. In the meantime, they want to trade Harrington (to NYJ?) either based on his request or due to Martz/Marinelli's request.

PS: Don't quote me on this, this is just a rumour.

Black Dynamite
03-15-2006, 09:57 AM
Hmmm Mcown is getting more attention than expected. the market dried up quick for him to be the most sought after qb now.

Glenn
03-15-2006, 11:02 AM
I'm really hoping that the Kitna signing is a signal that we're getting closer to the end of the Joey era in Detroit.

I don't know why someone would trade for Joey (being the 2nd highest paid QB in the NFL and all), why wouldn't they just wait for the Lions to cut him?

Kitna at least plays with heart and leadership.

Varsity
03-15-2006, 11:13 AM
I'm really hoping that the Kitna signing is a signal that we're getting closer to the end of the Joey era in Detroit.

I don't know why someone would trade for Joey (being the 2nd highest paid QB in the NFL and all), why wouldn't they just wait for the Lions to cut him?

Oh THAT'S what he was doing in that Pittsburgh game. See all along I thought it was choking, laying an egg or dropping a load on the field. After watching that, not being able to do anything Chad Johnson and TJ, Rudi in the backfield...I don't think he's much better than Harrington all though JH he's years younger.

Anyway, back to topic. I think that Joey is gone and he wants to be gone. He's an excerpt from Mlive from mouth of Tom Killer:

Joey's not happy? Killer says he's not. This goes way back. This has more to do with Harrington than Martz. This goes back to the Dre Bly thing where he was made a scapegoat. It's clear that Harrington doesn't want to be in Detroit, and he wants nothing to do with the Lions. Even though they signed Jon Kitna they're still talking with Josh McCown.

Darth Thanatos
03-15-2006, 12:28 PM
Oh THAT'S what he was doing in that Pittsburgh game. See all along I thought it was choking, laying an egg or dropping a load on the field. After watching that, not being able to do anything Chad Johnson and TJ, Rudi in the backfield.

Or maybe it was Pittsburg, being the great team they were, adjusting their defense to take away those threats. You can't use one game to determine whether a QB is good or not.

Joey, don't let the door hit you where the good Lord split you.

Amen.

Kstat
03-15-2006, 02:15 PM
Joey is DEMANDING to be let go. That's the reason.

H1Man
03-15-2006, 03:25 PM
It's still a Killer rumour, so I wouldn't put much into it......yet.

Glenn
03-15-2006, 03:42 PM
http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

POSTED 3:00 p.m. EST, March 15, 2006

HARRINGTON OUT OF MOTOWN BY JUNE 15

In a Wednesday column from Tom Kowalski of Mlive.com, Kowalski predicted that Lions quarterback Joey Harrington "might be ready to move on."

As it turns out, he already is.

We've heard this afternoon that Harrington has asked the team to either trade him or release him, and that the team will accommodate his request before a significant roster bonus comes due on June 15.

Not long ago, new coach Rod Marinelli and new offensive coordinator Mike Martz publicly embraced Harrington, with Martz promising to strip Harrington down and build him back up. We're told that Martz and Marinelli weren't too pleased with what they saw from Harrington during recent workouts with Martz, which prompted the team to sign Jon Kitna, who specifically was told that he'd have a shot to compete for the starting job in Detroit.

Though it's not clear whether Harrington specifically was informed of the promise made to Kitna, Harrington is surely smart enough to realize that if Kitna wanted to be a backup he could have stayed in Cincinnati.

Bottom line -- Harrington has made it known he wants out, and the team is ready to make it happen.

The development likely will be viewed as a positive thing in the locker room. We're told that one of the Lions offensive lineman recently assessed the situation by saying, "We want the f---ker out."

BubblesTheLion
03-15-2006, 03:45 PM
We're told that one of the Lions offensive lineman recently assessed the situation by saying, "We want the f---ker out."

I wonder if that was in Jeff's contract?

H1Man
03-16-2006, 12:02 AM
There is not a person on the Offense that has any right to call for Joey's out, especially the OLine.

Kstat
03-16-2006, 01:21 AM
I have to beleive if half the team wants harrington off the team, there's gotta be somethign there we dont know about.

Taymelo
03-16-2006, 08:43 AM

I was in favor of bringing in Kitna at first, but now that Glenn has just pointed out that his best qualities are the same qualities were supposedly going to make Jeff Garcia a winner in Detroit, I'm getting a bit nervous.

Gecko
03-16-2006, 11:50 AM
Let me just say that on one hand Harrington leaving is something I always wanted. I just never felt he possessed the intangibles to get it done, much like Darko.

But unlike my feelings for Darko I have somewhat sympathy for Joey. Joey is a great individual that truly got ridden over by his coach's, teamates and fans. Part of me feels for the kid but damn it feels good to get him outta here.

BubblesTheLion
03-16-2006, 05:00 PM
FreeeeeeeeeeeeeeDom!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Too.

*two jokes for the price of one, you know you love it*

H1Man
03-17-2006, 03:07 AM
I wonder exactly what prompted this move. Did Martz have anything to do with this or was it because Joey didn't want to be here?

Black Dynamite
03-17-2006, 03:52 AM
I wonder exactly what prompted this move. Did Martz have anything to do with this or was it because Joey didn't want to be here?
probally a lil' bit of both. i think they were gonna roll with joey but have kitna in to battle him at the request of maybe martz. once they signed kitna joey probally requested the trade in fear of dealing with all those fans who always scream for the backup like they did for that joke of a qb garcia.

i don't blame him. qb'n for detroit is a shit job with no love or respect from the fans involved. they'd boo brett farve out of the stadium if he had 2 bad games in a row let alone a rough season and drafted a rookie qb. with all the qb's come and gone either the team is cursed or they dont do their qb's right. i'll go with the latter.

H1Man
03-17-2006, 04:31 AM
probally a lil' bit of both. i think they were gonna roll with joey but have kitna in to battle him at the request of maybe martz. once they signed kitna joey probally requested the trade in fear of dealing with all those fans who always scream for the backup like they did for that joke of a qb garcia.

i don't blame him. qb'n for detroit is a shit job with no love or respect from the fans involved. they'd boo brett farve out of the stadium if he had 2 bad games in a row let alone a rough season and drafted a rookie qb. with all the qb's come and gone either the team is cursed or they dont do their qb's right. i'll go with the latter.

I don't blame Joey one bit for wanting out, especially after the way his teammates (and the fans to a lesser extent) treated him. I don't think that there was any way he coud've won the lockerroom back and ultimately that's what prompted his decision to leave.

H1Man
03-17-2006, 05:31 AM
HARRINGTON WILL BE GONE BY MONDAY

We've learned that the Detroit Lions will part ways with quarterback Joey Harrington by the end of the coming weekend.

On Monday, the Lions launch their offseason program. And the organization has decided that Harrington should not and will not be part of the equation at that time.

The Lions, we're told, will try to trade Harrington before cutting the cord. But it's highly unlikely that anyone will offer anything of value for the guy who was selected behind only David Carr and Julius Peppers in the 2002 draft, especially since Harrington is due under his current contract to receive a hefty roster bonus in June.

So look for Harrington to hit the market very soon. And don't be shocked if he ends up visiting with the Lions' NFC North rivals in Minnesota, given that the Vikes are now looking for a quarterback of the not-too-distant future.

Lions | Harrington's agent in talks with Redskins
Thu, 16 Mar 2006 09:38:14 -0800

Len Pasquarelli, of ESPN.com, reports Detroit Lions QB Joey Harrington will likely join Washington Redskins in a trade. Harrington is due a $4 million roster bonus on June 15 and is scheduled to have a base salary of $4.5 million for the 2006 season. The team is currently restructuring a deal, friendly to Washington's salary cap situation. His trade would save the Lions in upwards of $5.4 million in salary cap space. Washington is considering the deal which requires a 3rd round pick in 2007.

Black Dynamite
03-17-2006, 05:38 AM
washington is dumb. as nails and then some.

Jethro34
03-17-2006, 07:38 AM
A 3rd round pick? You've got to be kidding me! All Minnesota gets for Culpepper is a 2nd, and yet Detroit could potentially get a third! That, while being an incredibly happy day for me, would be highway robbery. I can't believe the Skins would actually give up a 3rd for him. (as I run off to look at some 3 round mock drafts and see who is projected to be available)

Glenn
03-17-2006, 08:17 AM
Mike Fowler from Lionsfans.com said yesterday that the Chiefs, Redskins (Al Saunders again) and Vikings are the three teams in play for Harrington.

If they can restructure, he'll be traded, if not he'll be cut.

Fowler said that the Lions are asking for a 5th rounder in return, but they may only get a 7th. It's possible that the pick could be a future pick that would be conditional on Joey's performance with his new team.

Hey Gutz, don't the Raiders need a QB? I would seriously LMAO at that. We could then see how long you would still defend him.

Taymelo
03-17-2006, 08:30 AM
Jethro, what's the surprise? If anything, Miami overpaid for Culpepper and Washington gets off cheap with Harrington.

In his 1st season w/o Randy Moss, Culpepper was terrible - - - and THEN he suffered a career threatening knee injury - - - and then was replaced by an old man who played about 1,000 times better with the same line, receivers, and running backs.

So he's not only extremely, extremely, extremely overrated as a quarterback, he's also possibly never going to be healthy enough to be as average but overrated as he used to be, and if I'm not mistaken, he also probably won't even play at all this year - - - yet the Vikings get a 2nd round pick for him?

H1Man
03-20-2006, 06:41 AM
Vikings Ponder A Harrington Trade

The Lions might want to hold off on releasing quarterback Joey Harrington. They could be getting a phone call from the Minnesota Vikings who are considering offering a third-round pick for the disgruntled and unwanted Harrington.

The Vikings and Lions have spoken twice. And the Vikings are considering blowing them out of the water with a third round pick. They have not placed the call with an offer yet, but it might happen Monday. The Vikings know the Lions don`t want to trade with a division rival. That is why they are offering so much.

The only other team to officially offer the Lions something for Harrington was the Kansas City Chiefs and that was a lowly seventh-round pick. The Lions wanted a fifth or sixth-round pick and were luke warm on the Chiefs proposal. It was so insulting the Lions just considered releasing Harrington any way.

So why are the Vikings considering trumping the Chiefs? A handful of teams believe Harrington has upside and that he is a victim of a hostile dressing room, coaching staff and negative fan and media who are always rough on quarterbacks. They believe if they put him in a more professional atmosphere he can succeed. The Vikings could use a strong back up for Brad Johnson after the trade of Daunte` Culpepper basically made this a Johnson production.

H1Man
03-20-2006, 07:04 AM
The other rumour I have heard involves our 1st round pick (#9) + Joey Harrington going to Oakland for their 1st round pick (#7).

Black Dynamite
03-20-2006, 08:01 AM
The other rumour I have heard involves our 1st round pick (#9) + Joey Harrington going to Oakland for their 1st round pick (#7).
possible. but oakland rumors are almost never right. rumor mill swore alot of things that didnt happen already. most notably keeping Collins and/or trading him.

Hey Gutz, don't the Raiders need a QB? I would seriously LMAO at that. We could then see how long you would still defend him.
you probally would. but i would lmao at your whole team not winning a title ever in the history of the NFL/AFL merger and the laughs wouldnt go to far between us. in fact i laugh at them not even going to the big game. Chuckle to death at every qb they fucked over. ROTFLMAO at the fans not making up their mind which qb to hate and love between backups and starters. Catch an especially tasteful laugh off of Barry Sanders preference to retire and invest his mutual funds instead of playing for the lions. i'd laugh myself to a fucked up cough at all the various cursed moments in lions history(i especially love the effort to keep up with new orleans fucking up the extra point the way they did and the erik kramer egg layed in Washington).

So if your plan was to get me to laugh myself to death. it might work. [smilie=angel.gif]

Black Dynamite
03-20-2006, 08:02 AM
So why are the Vikings considering trumping the Chiefs? A handful of teams believe Harrington has upside and that he is a victim of a hostile dressing room, coaching staff and negative fan and media who are always rough on quarterbacks.
Lions absurd methods in destroying qb's is well known thoroughout the league.

Glenn
03-20-2006, 08:08 AM
I'm pulling hard for Joey to end up in Oakland.

Not just to have some fun with Gutz, but Raiders fans will eat him alive.

He'll be crying on the sidelines by game 2.

Black Dynamite
03-20-2006, 08:17 AM
I'm pulling hard for Joey to end up in Oakland.

Not just to have some fun with Gutz, but Raiders fans will eat him alive.

He'll be crying on the sidelines by game 2.
nope. we can block better than the lions. they are the recreation of tecmo bowl's "you call my play and the line gets pancaked".

1.)we probally won't grab him.
2.)If we did he'd be 10 times better than he would in Detroit. And i welcome it, Outcasts like Joey turn out pretty good here and we need better blocking but we're still light years ahead of the lions with All Time great O-Line coach/player Art Shell as HC and we just snagged up a rams o-line coach and a chiefs one. . If he does come here his name will immediately turn to Joe when gets that pussy sky blue jersey off his back.

Your belief that Joe is garbage is whats wrong with lions fans. They are a cancer to the team and its players with some of the most fickle support in the league. It took Kerry Collins quite a bit of bad work to get boo'd in oakland. in fact even though he was hated from the jump of this season he didnt get boo'd until he started stinking it up. something fierce.

IMO Oakland colliseum fans class >>>>>>>Ford Field fans class for days.

Glenn
03-20-2006, 08:25 AM
They might have identified with Collins since he's an alki.

"Joe" plays piano.

You do the math.

Black Dynamite
03-20-2006, 09:11 AM

"Joe" plays piano.

You do the math.
ha, the cheaps shots come based on stereotypes alone. Throwing stones from one of the most alcoholic stadiums in the league(only behind philly and new york IMO). How many beer induced fights happened in ford field and the silverdome? [smilie=applause.gi:

once again raider fans have by far more class at football games. dont let the darth vader gear fool you. they are by far more disciplined than advertised in the blackhole. but a crowd of black is always scarey to Media crews. [smilie=angel.gif] with that said they've "taken gambles" as they would put it and did reports from the black hole. Fuckers aint trynna go up in the stands at lions games. might get beaten for associating with an "i hate millen" fan.*lol*

well maybe he can get a piano rendition version of "I can see clearly now". because the rain is almost gone in that honoluhu blue qb hell hole. [smilie=arrgh.jpg]

even some of the angry lions fans mob admits he'd do better somewhere else. Since you hate the guy so much you don't even legitimately judge him anymore, i'd welcome him to oakland no problem.

One thing i've gathered from this is glenn hates piano players.
http://serp.la.asu.edu/clipart_dir/music/music_imag/pianist.gif

Glenn
03-20-2006, 09:20 AM
1. This is creepy. http://i1.tinypic.com/rr4nx4.jpg

2. I never said that the crowd at Ford Field was any better than the "black hole". Lions fan would have identified with Collins for the same reasons I'm sure. Detroiters don't have a problem with alcoholics that I know of.

(plus, I'm sort of doing this all in a light hearted manner, if you hadn't noticed)

Black Dynamite
03-20-2006, 09:27 AM
1. This is creepy. http://i1.tinypic.com/rr4nx4.jpg

2. I never said that the crowd at Ford Field was any better than the "black hole". Lions fan would have identified with Collins for the same reasons I'm sure. Detroiters don't have a problem with alcoholics that I know of.

(plus, I'm sort of doing this all in a light hearted manner, if you hadn't noticed)
I know man. and yes the sig is creepy. but sometimes you gotta make people vomit to get the proper protest through.

i hope none of the women in flip's family favor him. thats a crime against humanity

Glenn
03-20-2006, 12:34 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2376833

Marinelli: Lions 'move on' without QB Harrington

Associated Press

ALLEN PARK, Mich. -- The Detroit Lions are parting ways with Joey Harrington after four turbulent seasons in which the former third overall draft pick went from franchise savior to fans' scourge.

Although he declined to say whether Harrington had been released, coach Rod Marinelli told reporters Monday: "We've made a decision to move on."

"At this moment, he's not with us," Marinelli said. "That's been my decision."

Harrington will be replaced by either Jon Kitna or Josh McCown, both former starters signed who agreed to terms in the last week.

The Lions already have under contract former Tampa Bay and Arizona starter Shaun King and second-year man Dan Orlovsky.

Glenn
03-20-2006, 03:53 PM
Kowalski blog entry.

Marinelli refuses to talk about Harrington

Lions head coach Rod Marinelli refused to say why, in the span of a couple of weeks, Joey Harrington went from being his No. 1 quarterback to a player who isn't welcome at the off-season workouts.

Marinelli put it all on himself saying "It was my decision.'' He also indicated that Harrington didn't want to return as well.

As far as reports that Harrington's actions at the recent quarterback school prompted his soon-to-be departure, Marinelli refused to discuss any part of it.

Marinelli said Harrington would not be released today. When asked if the Lions were seeking a trade, Marinelli said he was leaving that up to president Matt Millen and the personnel department.

Anthony
03-20-2006, 05:06 PM

I'd hit.

Anthony
03-20-2006, 05:23 PM

"Joe" plays piano.

You do the math.

Alls Joey has to do is take one puff and grow his hair and he's a raider.

To be a lion, alls you have to do is get signed with tones of hype and not produce.

Black Dynamite
03-20-2006, 05:54 PM
the idea of Joe on weed scares me. Dude would start playing P Funk All Star tunes on his piano. Though i wouldnt mind hearing a piano version of flashlight. [smilie=arrgh.jpg]

Anthony
03-20-2006, 07:24 PM
Personally, I think Joey was totally set up to fail in Detroit. You're never going to convice me that 3 first round recivers can drop that many passes. Nobody ever played hard untill Garcia go into the game, but he just sucked, so instead of dropped passes, Garcia would loft the ball out there and it would take it about 17.54 minutes to reach where ever the hell he tossed it.

I'd love to see Joey in a different system. Bring him to Oakland with Jordan, and Moss, and Porter and Curry and Gabriel and lets see what he can do.

H1Man
03-21-2006, 12:37 AM
Personally, I think Joey was totally set up to fail in Detroit. You're never going to convice me that 3 first round recivers can drop that many passes. Nobody ever played hard untill Garcia go into the game, but he just sucked, so instead of dropped passes, Garcia would loft the ball out there and it would take it about 17.54 minutes to reach where ever the hell he tossed it.

I'd love to see Joey in a different system. Bring him to Oakland with Jordan, and Moss, and Porter and Curry and Gabriel and lets see what he can do.

While I agree with you, it still doesn't change the fact that he has been a bust here.

Glenn
03-21-2006, 07:39 AM
He didn't throw balls at the feet of wide open receivers because he was "set up".

Anthony
03-21-2006, 11:03 AM
From what I saw, routs werent ran hard and the recivers dropped more passes than what Joey missed on.

There is not one QB that can claim to never have thrown a bad pass.

Glenn
03-21-2006, 11:05 AM
If you think WRs would jeopardize their own careers/paychecks just to make Joey look bad then I don't know what else to say.

Anthony
03-21-2006, 11:07 AM
Thats what it looked like to me.

Vinny
03-21-2006, 12:18 PM
From what I saw, routs werent ran hard and the recivers dropped more passes than what Joey missed on.

I don't know how anyone can disagree too much with this. I don't necessarily think it was to try and sabotage of Joey that they did this, but our young wide receivers consistently looked lazy and out of place pretty much the entire season. For that, I blame coaching, not Joey.

Black Dynamite
03-21-2006, 12:38 PM

I don't know how anyone can disagree too much with this. I don't necessarily think it was to try and sabotage of Joey that they did this, but our young wide receivers consistently looked lazy and out of place pretty much the entire season. For that, I blame coaching, not Joey.
i agree. which is why dre bly is bitch made for sticking up for some really bad coaching along with laying the blame on harrington. just really shitty on his part. i hope the lions play dallas this year, because bly cant cover owens to save his life.

Varsity
03-21-2006, 12:39 PM

I'd hit.

I'd hit that repeatedly.

Black Dynamite
03-21-2006, 12:52 PM
worthless trade to make. fuck helping the lions. force them to cut him and work from there.

Glenn
03-21-2006, 01:07 PM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/football/nfl/kansas_city_chiefs/14146830.htm

Lions QB could be a Chiefs possibility

By ELIZABETH MERRILL
The Kansas City Star

Before Trent Green became Mr. Reliable, Chiefs president/general manager Carl Peterson gazed longingly at a television as Joey Harrington’s boy-next-door mug flashed on the screen. It was an hour before the 2002 draft. The realistic types in Kansas City rooted for defensive help. The dreamers begged for Joey.

Clock ticking and Mel Kiper Jr. primping, Peterson, without prompting, offered this to the reporters around him:

“He’s a heck of a prospect.”

What happened next is still causing reverberations in Detroit — the Lions made Harrington their No. 3 pick, the fans made him their eventual goat, and now, four years later, Joey is on his way out of town, and Kansas City appears smack-dab in the middle of the hunt for his services.

Peterson wouldn’t say as much Monday, shortly after new Lions coach Rod Marinelli told reporters that Detroit was moving on without Harrington, even though the Lions haven’t officially made a move to get rid of him. Just back from a scouting trip, Peterson was in no mood to chat about the Harrington buzz.

But the Chiefs are in serious need of a backup for Green, and Harrington’s name undoubtedly will be tossed around in the coming days as Detroit president Matt Millen waits to meet with his quarterback, who’s in Thailand.

Harrington, reportedly turned off by a poisonous locker room and comments by cornerback Dre’ Bly, who blamed him for Steve Mariucci’s firing, wants to go somewhere he feels comfortable. In Kansas City, he’d have at least two immediate ties to the coaching staff. Quarterbacks coach Terry Shea is a former Oregon quarterback and played with Harrington’s father, John. Defensive coordinator Gunther Cunningham also was on the 1967 Ducks squad with John Harrington.

When Harrington visited Kansas City four years ago before the draft, Shea met him at the airport wearing his old Oregon letterman jacket.

“At this point, he’s under contract,” Chiefs coach Herm Edwards said. “You never talk about guys under contract. You get into that, and you’re setting yourself up for a no-win situation. But, no, we haven’t really even talked about it.”

Harrington went 18-37 as a starter for the Lions and was the subject of constant abuse from the fans and even his teammates. Many observers wonder whether a change of scenery — plus a year or two as a backup — would rejuvenate Harrington, whose pocket presence and anticipation made him a 2001 Heisman Trophy finalist.

Marinelli, who initially threw his support toward Harrington as the 2006 starter, told reporters in Detroit on Monday that the Lions were “going to go in a different direction with Joey.”

“I made the decision,” Marinelli said. “I think it’s best for our team. We’re moving on at this point without Joey.”

Marinelli said that Millen and the Lions’ personnel department would decide whether Harrington will be traded or released. He’s due a $4 million bonus in June and could be traded before the draft later this month.

Peterson, in the past, hasn’t been one to give up draft picks very easily. But would he for a young quarterback who caught his eye four years ago? Green, who has been durable for five seasons, turns 36 this summer. His longtime backup, Todd Collins, bolted for Washington last week.

It’s doubtful the Chiefs will stay pat on their backup situation with just Damon Huard, Casey Printers and James Kilian on the roster. Printers and Kilian are considered projects; Huard has started just six games in nine NFL seasons.

This is the second time in less than a year that Harrington’s name has come up in Kansas City. Just before the start of the 2005 season, rumors swirled that Peterson had inquired about Harrington after a bizarre string of quarterback injuries.

“That is absolutely false,” Peterson said at the time.

For now, for once, the Chiefs are staying mum about Harrington.

H1Man
03-21-2006, 06:11 PM
If you think WRs would jeopardize their own careers/paychecks just to make Joey look bad then I don't know what else to say.

I don't think that the WRs were intentionally trying to hurt Joey's career but they sure as hell weren't trying their hardest to make him look good.

H1Man
03-21-2006, 11:47 PM
Cardinals have interest in Harrington

Rod Graves, the Cardinals vice president for player personnel, said the Cardinals have some interest in quarterback Joey Harrington, who won't return to the Detroit Lions. Arizona is looking for a backup to Kurt Warner.

He said he's spoken to David Dunn, the agent who represents Harrington and Kerry Collins.

"We have considered both of those, but we're going to weigh that against draft considerations as well, and see where we come out," Graves said. "There's certainly no opposition to looking at Joey Harrington."

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5433062

Glenn
03-22-2006, 03:25 PM
From last week, but still an entertaining read...

http://www.detroitsportsrag.com/articles/mossism031706.html

Friday Morning Mossisms (03/17/06)
03/17/2006

So I was sitting here and thinking to myself, have I ever been happy about a Lions coaching staff and their quarterback situation at the same time when I realized something.

I have never been happy about EITHER the Lions coaching staff OR the Lions quarterback situation INDEPENDENTLY. Ever!

Well, that was until about 11:30 Thursday morning when I learned from Bill Emkow on MLIVE.com that the Lions were indeed going to get rid of Joey Harrington and then the news minutes later that the team had signed free-agent QB Josh McCown.

(And for the record, there is no better nuts and bolts coverage of the Detroit sports scene than on MLIVE. If you want to keep updated on the breaking sports news in town, there is no better place to monitor than MLIVE. Especially if you are interested in Tigers and Lions info. Blows both the Free Press and News away.)

First let's start with the past and the Joey Harrington Era in Detroit. And let me begin this by saying I don't give a fuck if dude is a nice guy. Nice guy? Nice guy? Go fuck yourself.

I want my quarterback to be a total dick. I want my quarterback to bitch guys out when they aren't performing. I want my quarterback to guarantee wins, wear fur coats and drunkenly hit on Suzy Kolber during sideline interviews. I couldn't care less if my quarterback opens the door for little old ladies.

And I want my quarterback to embrace this city. I don't want to hear about how great Or-uh-gin is and I don't want to hear him talking about how he can't wait for the Thanksgiving game to be over with so he can rush back to Oregon for family dinner.

I don't want my quarterback to play a piano. I don't want my quarterback to refuse to talk to a teammate's mother if she mispronounces the name of his home state. I don't want my QB to exclusively appear on a non-sports radio show with Frodo Albom.

Are you taking notes Josh? Well, you already have a head start on Harrington since you don't go by the name "Joshua."

Could I live with PianoNiceMitchOregonHomesickBlueSkies if the guy could throw an accurate pass? Could I have lived with all of his quirks if he didn't feel the need to check down to a 2-yard pass on 3rd and 8? Could I have gotten over the fact that Harrington wasn't "my kind of guy" if he didn't buckle under the slightest pressure?

Of course. But it has been my opinion that most of what kept Joey Harrington from being a quality quarterback was a lot of the shit that I just mentioned. He will never truly succeed in this league because it just isn't in his DNA to be a leader of men.

Everyone (except Matt Millen) could see it. Every coach that he has had in the NFL wanted someone other than Harrington to man the helm. And the options weren't exactly Dan Marino or John Elway, they were Mike Freaking McMahon and a one-legged Jeff Garcia.

His teammates had no confidence in him. Nothing personified that more than Dre Bly personally calling Harrington out last fall after Steve Mariucci was fired. And I wrote it then and I will reiterate it today, that decision of Bly to throw Harrington under the bus was the straw that broke the camel's back.

Because even though it seemed a third coaching staff wasn't enamored with Harrington, our stubborn mule of a GM would have given Harrington one last chance with Mike Martz trying to mold this pussy into a quality QB.

But in the end it seems that Mr. Nice Guy didn't want to deal with Detroit anymore. He didn't want to have to walk into a locker room full of guys that didn't like him. He didn't want to go to Martz School and be deprogrammed.

Amazingly enough after four years of putrid performances it was Harrington who pulled the plug on this relationship. I mean, this is the NFL equivalent of Ike Turner LEAVING Tina.

Make no mistake about this. The defining moment of Harrington's departure was Bly going on the NFL Network and calling out Joey. The bottom line is Bly is still on the team and Harrington is about to be someone's accompanist.

And my disgust of Harrington needs to put into some sort of perspective. That I turned on this guy a couple of years ago is amazing in itself when you consider my undying love for first round draft picks.

I am the same guy who still is defending Darko Milicic and considered driving up to Orlando the other day to watch the former Pistons #2 pick play. (Seriously, there was no other reason I was going to Orlando. If I keep saying this, I am sure I can convince myself of it.)

I am still waiting for Eric Munson to develop into a .275-40 HR-100 RBI guy even though he is on the Twins. At least I think he is still on the Twins.

I was the last guy off the Kory Kocur bandwagon and I am totally convinced that Dr. Andrews is on the verge of a medical breakthrough that will lead to the salvation of Matt Wheatland's career.

So for me to give up on Harrington was completely against my M.O. Seriously, I still think that Charles Rogers just has a water drinking consumption problem and has never touched an illegal drug.

BUT THAT IS HOW MUCH I DISLIKED THIS GUY AND BELIEVED THAT HE WOULD NEVER SUCCEED IN THIS LEAGUE. But that is the past. The future is McCown. At least it better be McCown because I am not that enamored with Millen's other signing of Jon Kitna. And it has nothing to do with the fact that Kitna is a bible thumping Jesus freak. OK, maybe it has a little something to do with that.

At this point in Kitna's career he is nothing more than a backup. He is 33-years old and he basically hasn't played for two years in Cincinnati. I don't want to say the guy is a little rusty, but the Tin Man just called and he wants his can of WD-40 back. All of this talk that the starting job is up for grabs is hopefully just an effort to pacify Kitna.

And while McCown isn't some sort of savior, he has all of the tools to be another successful Mike Martz production. Because he possesses a lot the qualities that Harrington doesn't.

He can take a hit. He doesn't mind holding the ball an extra second even if it means taking a sack. He has some mobility. His teammates seem to rally around him. (Just check out his record as Arizona's starter as opposed to Kurt Warner's. And luckily for the Lions there is one organization more inept than them that actually chose to re-sign Warner instead of an up and coming talent like McCown.)

Of course McCown is going to have to continue to develop, but I like my chances with a guy who has already had some experience in the league coupled with our new Svengali-esque quarterbacks coach/O.C.

And two last items. First a word of advice to McCown. If you have any inclination to tell the people of Detroit how wonderful Jacksonville, Texas is, don't do it.

And finally this. With the moves at the quarterback position and with the coaching staff there is no reason NOT to expect this team to win the NFC North with a decent draft and a few more free-agent signings.

The Vikings are going to let Brad Johnson run their team this year because they are the only people who don't think what happened last year was a fluke. (Or maybe they will sign Harrington. I mean, he is a nice guy and surely wouldn't take part in any Love Boat-like escapades.)

The Packers still suck and Favre isn't getting any younger.

And the Bears have about as much history of putting good back-to-back years together as does the Star Trek movie franchise of releasing two good films in a row.

About 18 months ago I wrote an article explaining how difficult it was to root for my football team when I despised the head coach and hated the quarterback. Let me tell you, it was depressing as all hell.

That is why the moves of the last couple of months feel so good. I am excited to be a Detroit Lions fan again.

Unibomber
03-23-2006, 12:18 AM

Rod Graves, the Cardinals vice president for player personnel, said the Cardinals have some interest in quarterback Joey Harrington, who won't return to the Detroit Lions. Arizona is looking for a backup to Kurt Warner.

He said he's spoken to David Dunn, the agent who represents Harrington and Kerry Collins.

"We have considered both of those, but we're going to weigh that against draft considerations as well, and see where we come out," Graves said. "There's certainly no opposition to looking at Joey Harrington."

Oh HELL no.

Get him to the Chiefs. Two things are going for him there. First is that the president likes him. Second, he hooks up with Samie Parker, his old teammate at Oregon, and the deep balls fly.

Black Dynamite
03-23-2006, 12:25 AM

Oh HELL no.

Get him to the Chiefs. Two things are going for him there. First is that the president likes him. Second, he hooks up with Samie Parker, his old teammate at Oregon, and the deep balls fly.
fuck the chiefs and fuck your idea damnit. go cards.

H1Man
03-23-2006, 04:25 AM
Joey may be Chief concern

The Chiefs don't have much to say about Lions quarterback Joey Harrington, but they have expressed interest in him in the past and appear "smack-dab in the middle of the hunt for his services," the Kansas City Star reported Tuesday.

The paper said Chiefs president Carl Peterson was just back from a scouting trip and "in no mood to talk about the Harrington buzz" Monday, shortly after Lions coach Rod Marinelli said he was moving on without Harrington.

"At this point, he's under contract," Chiefs coach Herm Edwards told the Star. "You never talk about guys under contract. You get into that, and you're setting yourself up for a no-win situation. But, no, we haven't really even talked about it."

Kansas City seems to be a good fit for Harrington. The Chiefs need a backup for Trent Green, and Harrington is willing to be a backup for a solid team.

But other teams are thought to be interested in Harrington, including Oakland, Minnesota and Miami.

It appears the Lions haven't been close to making a trade.

Teams might not want to give up anything for Harrington because they know the Lions will release him before June 15, when they would have to pay him a $4-million roster bonus. Teams interested in Harrington may be able to get him in the free-agent market without a big bidding war.

Harrington is expected to return from a vacation in Southeast Asia this week and talk to Lions president Matt Millen. Some think he will be released shortly afterward.
http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060322/SPORTS01/603220447/1049

Black Dynamite
03-23-2006, 08:02 AM
oakland is out of the running with the signing of brooks im guess.

H1Man
03-24-2006, 11:18 AM
WHAT WENT WRONG?
As QB school progressed, Joey's uncertainty grew

What really led to the split between the Lions and Joey Harrington? What really happened at quarterback school earlier this month?

Some have said Harrington sabotaged his appearance at QB school, engineering his way out of town with uncooperative behavior. Some have said he was just unenthusiastic as he realized it wasn't going to work in Detroit.

The truth lies in the middle. Harrington came to QB school with good intentions, but he also had mixed emotions.

As the week went on, things fell apart. The last day went badly. In the end, Harrington didn't feel he could win with the Lions, and the Lions didn't feel they could win with him.

This account is based on interviews with several people close to the situation. All spoke on the condition of anonymity because of the sensitive nature of the information and because Harrington has not spoken for himself yet. He has been on vacation in Southeast Asia and unavailable for comment.

Harrington flew from his Oregon home to the Detroit area Sunday, March 5.

He was upbeat and optimistic because of the support the Lions had given him. President Matt Millen said Feb. 21 the Lions were approaching the off-season with him as their starter, and coach Rod Marinelli agreed. Marinelli and offensive coordinator Mike Martz spoke positively about his potential afterward.

Harrington intended to give it his best shot with an open mind.

Still, he felt some uncertainty. The Lions had a new coaching staff, but they still had most of the same players -- a number of whom had not supported him.

When Harrington drove into Lions headquarters that Monday, he experienced a lot of negative feelings because of the environment. His first meeting with Martz went well, but his first meeting with Marinelli did not. Marinelli told Harrington he had to be all in or all out; Harrington couldn't make that commitment because of his concerns about team chemistry. After a full day's work, Harrington went home and studied his playbook. He told people Martz was jovial and nice and knew a lot about offense.

Harrington put in another full day's work Tuesday. He hurt his back. He went home and studied his playbook again. He told people Marinelli was a down-to-earth, tell-it-like-it-is kind of guy. He still seemed upbeat and thought he would be back later in the month for off-season conditioning.

But Wednesday, the last day of QB school, was different. Harrington didn't break down plays well on the board. He didn't appear to pay attention. He didn't take notes. His mind seemed elsewhere, and something happened with Martz -- what exactly is unclear.

Harrington did not endear himself to the coaches. Marinelli had talked about wanting players with passion. Harrington wasn't showing any. Whatever his intent, he was showing he didn't want to be there.

Afterward, Millen talked to Harrington often, and Harrington talked to the coaches somewhat. But things couldn't be patched up. Harrington didn't want to be a quitter, but he told the Lions he could win in the NFL, just not in Detroit. Martz truly thought Harrington was talented, but the coaches didn't want a quarterback who wasn't confident he could lead their team.

Though Harrington was willing to return for off-season conditioning, Marinelli told him not to.

Harrington flew back to Oregon the next day, then left for Bali and Thailand. He was expected to return to Oregon this week, on Thursday.

Millen has a close relationship with Harrington, and he wants to talk to him as soon as possible. Now that the Lions have signed free agents Jon Kitna and Josh McCown, now that Marinelli has said publicly the Lions are moving on without Harrington, Millen wants to put Harrington in a position to succeed somewhere and get something in return for the Lions.

But Harrington has veto power on any trade. He would have to renegotiate his contract to satisfy another team. He is due a $4-million roster bonus June 15 and a salary of $4.45 million this year and next. If the Lions can't trade him before June 15, they will cut him to avoid paying the bonus, making him an unrestricted free agent.
http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060324/SPORTS01/603240362/-1/BUSINESS07

Koolaid
03-27-2006, 05:34 AM
the idea of Joe on weed scares me. Dude would start playing P Funk All Star tunes on his piano. Though i wouldnt mind hearing a piano version of flashlight. [smilie=arrgh.jpg]

Wow. you must be psychic.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=514478

I smoked weed with Joey yesterday and you'll never guess what he played.

JS
03-27-2006, 10:41 AM
Chiefs president/general manager Carl Peterson and his Detroit counterpart, Matt Millen, will have plenty of opportunity to talk about a trade for Lions quarterback Joey Harrington. The Chiefs appear interested enough that they would give the Lions a choice in the first three rounds of next month’s draft if they can work out details of a new contract with Harrington and his agent. “We’re doing our homework on him and trying to figure out what happened and why he could be so good in college and not have success in Detroit,” Peterson said. “There are always extenuating circumstances. The supporting cast is a big thing. “I wouldn’t rule it out at this point.”

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/football/nfl/kansas_city_chiefs/14193969.htm?source=rss&channel=kansascity_kansas_city_chiefs

I bet Harrington or Millen screws it up and we get nothing, but Harrington still ends in KC.

I don't know why Harrington wouldn't re-structure. He has always talked about playing for a team that wants him and if Joey makes money an issue, if Millen wants to screw him he can wait until June 1st and then who knows what other teams do to fill their needs. I mean KC, Seattle, Miami or Cincy are not going to wait for Joey to fill the number 2 job.

Vinny
03-27-2006, 01:04 PM
What's to keep the Chiefs and Joey's agent from making a backdoor deal to sign Joey after he's cut while they're "re-negotiating for the trade"? We need someone else to be willing to trade for him too before we'll get anything for him.

JS
03-27-2006, 02:20 PM
Miami, Cincy, Seattle and KC all have interest. Most however as you said Vinny are interested in Joey after he is cut. If all things equal Joey said he would like to be in the northwest. However if KC really thinks he is the heir apparent to Green, maybe they don't want to risk him being a FA.

Kstat
03-27-2006, 11:03 PM
I'd love to see us play these teams off each other and get someone to give up a 2nd-rounder for this clown.

WTFchris
03-28-2006, 12:29 PM
One thing that needs to be mentioned here. I've heard lots of people on here and the radio ask why Joey wouldn't just wait to be cut and then sign somewhere. The reason is that if he does that, he won't be cut until the last possible second (which is June something) when his bonus is due. So, he'll be way behind the curve with whatever team he signs with. Plus, potential suitors may draft a QB by then, limiting his options. Suppose KC wants him, but isn't sure Joey will sign there as a FA in June. Or maybe they think Miami or another team will get him. They will cover their butts by drafting a QB, even if it's a middle rounder. Would they still want Joey then? Maybe not.

So it's in Joey's best interest to find a new home before the draft for two reasons. He doesn't risk a new home drafting someone. And also he has a lot more time to study their playbook and has a much better chance at actually playing sometime soon.

Glenn
03-28-2006, 12:40 PM
Good point WTFC.

Mike Fowler said yesterday that it looks like Joey has instructed his agent to play hardball with the Lions, basically, he might be trying to force his release rather than help the Lions orchestrate a trade.

The thought is that if teams are willing to offer 3rd or 4th round picks and want Jo-Jo to renegotiate to get his base salary down to about $2m per, that he might be able to get more than that on the open market as a free agent.

WTFchris
03-28-2006, 12:54 PM
hard ball is a bad idea for Joey. Basically he has to pray someone wants him bad enough that they don't draft a QB. There are only a handfull of teams that need a QB (I haven't read all the moves in the last couple weeks, but there can't be a ton of teams needed a QB bad) and we know Young, Lienart and Cutler will go to 3 of those teams. I bet most teams would rather have Jacobs, Croyle and possibly a couple more QB's before Joey. That means his margain for error isn't that great.

He could end up being behind someone for a few years, or even if he gets lucky and someone offers him a backup spot with a chance for the #1 job (like Garcia got here)...he still comes in very late (June) and has no shot at success this year.

I'd get out of here as fast as I can if I'm Joey.

H1Man
03-28-2006, 02:37 PM
One thing that needs to be mentioned here. I've heard lots of people on here and the radio ask why Joey wouldn't just wait to be cut and then sign somewhere. The reason is that if he does that, he won't be cut until the last possible second (which is June something) when his bonus is due. So, he'll be way behind the curve with whatever team he signs with. Plus, potential suitors may draft a QB by then, limiting his options. Suppose KC wants him, but isn't sure Joey will sign there as a FA in June. Or maybe they think Miami or another team will get him. They will cover their butts by drafting a QB, even if it's a middle rounder. Would they still want Joey then? Maybe not.

So it's in Joey's best interest to find a new home before the draft for two reasons. He doesn't risk a new home drafting someone. And also he has a lot more time to study their playbook and has a much better chance at actually playing sometime soon.

One more factor to keep in mind is cap space.

If Joey waits till he is cut, teams might not have any money left to sign him as a FA.

H1Man
03-28-2006, 04:33 PM
Harrington to visit Dolphins, Bengals this week

League and team sources, here for the annual NFL owners meetings, confirmed Tuesday that Detroit Lions quarterback Joey Harrington will visit with the Miami Dolphins and Cincinnati Bengals over the next few days.

Harrington will arrive in Miami on Tuesday evening for a Wednesday visit with Dolphins officials. He will then go to Cincinnati on Wednesday night for a Thursday meeting with the Bengals. Although several other teams are interested in Harrington, including Kansas City, no other visits are currently planned.

Agent David Dunn, who has been here conferring with teams on a number of clients, declined to comment on Harrington's plans.

The Dolphins are seeking a veteran backup to newly acquired starter Daunte Culpepper, and an insurance policy in the event the former Minnesota Vikings star, who is coming off surgery to repair three torn ligaments in his right knee, isn't recovered for the beginning of the season. Cincinnati wants to bolster the No. 2 spot behind Carson Palmer, who suffered two torn ligaments in his left knee during a wild-card round playoff loss to the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Both teams have entertained a number of backup candidates but signed none.

Cincinnati lost backup Jon Kitna in free agency, ironically, to Detroit, where he will vie for Harrington's old starting job. The Dolphins released 2005 starter Gus Frerotte and backup Sage Rosenfels signed with the Houston Texans, leaving coach Nick Saban without a viable No. 2 quarterback.

Lions team president Matt Millen reiterated here that the Lions are entertaining suitors for Harrington, and that they will listen to offers.

"There's nothing you can do about it," said Millen, whose team invested about $20 million in Harrington over the last four seasons, and hope to recoup even something modest in return. "He's not the first guy who didn't work out, and he won't be the last. You just try to make the best of it."

The third overall choice in the 2002 draft, Harrington started 55 games for the Lions and posted a record of 18-37. The former Oregon star completed 986 of 1,802 passes for 10,242 yards, with 60 touchdown passes and 62 interceptions, for an efficiency rating of 68.1. Harrington started 11 games in 2005, was benched at one point in favor of Jeff Garcia, then regained his job.

He reportedly asked Lions officials, including Millen and first-year head coach Rod Marinelli, to either trade or release him.

Harrington, 27, is due a $4 million roster bonus on June 15, and the Lions will wait right up to that deadline before releasing him. So any team that desires to have Harrington in its offseason program probably will have to trade for him. He also has a 2006 base salary of $4.5 million. Any team that deals for Harrington will ask him to rework his contract.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2387665

WTFchris
03-28-2006, 04:43 PM
This is why Joey needs to play nice. He could get a real opportunity starting in Miami with Dante out. I doubt he gets a starting gig anywhere right off the bat. If he plays hard ball and waits until June Miami will probably have a backup by then.

Train Wreck
03-31-2006, 12:16 AM
Not sure of the Lions cap situation but if Joey does decide to play hardball with the Lions, they should do it right back. I realize he has that bonus due in June but if he refuses to cooperate, pay him the damn bonus and subject him to have to come back to a lockerroom that most certainly hates him now and would eat him alive.(Or at least threaten too)

I know this would never happen but if this bum costs us the chance at a decent draft pick, I'm gonna be pissed

H1Man
03-31-2006, 04:13 AM
Not sure of the Lions cap situation but if Joey does decide to play hardball with the Lions, they should do it right back. I realize he has that bonus due in June but if he refuses to cooperate, pay him the damn bonus and subject him to have to come back to a lockerroom that most certainly hates him now and would eat him alive.(Or at least threaten too)

I know this would never happen but if this bum costs us the chance at a decent draft pick, I'm gonna be pissed

The chances of that happening are zero.

You can't just pay somebody $8 Million a year to sit on the sidelines, regardless of the cap situation.

WTFchris
03-31-2006, 09:16 AM
^Plus you have to use a roster spot on him, which would be a waste. They'll cut him in June for sure. but if he plays hardball he risks there not being many suitors. When Lienart, Young, Cutler, Croyle, Whitehurst, etc all get drafted there won't be a lot of teams that still need a #2 Qb. There also won't be a ton of teams with cap space either. He better get moved now, or risk signing a crappy deal as a #3 Qb somewhere.

Train Wreck
03-31-2006, 10:25 AM

The chances of that happening are zero.

You can't just pay somebody $8 Million a year to sit on the sidelines, regardless of the cap situation.

Which is why I said, " I know this would never happen"

Anthony
04-02-2006, 03:45 PM
ESPNEWS is reporting that he is goin to the Miami

JS
04-02-2006, 03:49 PM
Expect not much in return if it is Miami. I mean anything is good, but I thought with all the interest we might get a 3rd or be able to swap our 2nd for a first and 5th, or our third for a second and fifth.

Artis Gilmore
04-02-2006, 03:53 PM
Good bye Joey, thanks for the memoires. http://gallery.phillyburbs.com/photos/15/4.aspx

http://sportsmed.starwave.com/media/nfl/2002/0918/photo/s_joey_i.jpg

http://chicago.comcastsportsnet.com/images/content/bears/harringtonhit.jpg

http://images.packers.com/pg/2004-10-17/photo16.jpg

http://graphics.jsonline.com/graphics/packer/img/rev/oct04/16_1017.jpg

JS
04-02-2006, 03:57 PM
6th rd draft pick is all we are getting? How is it that KC was talking a first day pick and Millen has managed to turn it into a non roster pck.? Oh yeah he is Millen.

Black Dynamite
04-02-2006, 04:22 PM
6th rd draft pick is all we are getting? How is it that KC was talking a first day pick and Millen has managed to turn it into a non roster pck.? Oh yeah he is Millen.
basically you guys are getting a perrenial practice squad guy. unless of course they wise up and pick a OL or DL. those are about the only positions you get something usuable out of there.

H1Man
04-02-2006, 08:59 PM
There is one problem with that trade. The Dolphins don't have a 5th or a 6th round draft pick to trade this year. But they do have 3 picks in the 7th round though.

WTFchris
04-03-2006, 09:44 AM
I bet we'll get a pick next year, which is probably better. You can usually get a higher future pick since teams always feel they can do a quick turn around and want current picks. We'll probably get a higher pick if it's next year.

I wouldn't do it for 7th rounders. You might as well wait for a better offer if that's the case. Most 7th rounders don't even make the team(s).

Glenn
04-03-2006, 12:46 PM
http://www.realfootball365.com/nfl/articles/oakland-raiders-harrington290306.php

Raiders should shy away from Joey Harrington

By Anthony Carroll
03/29/06

On Tuesday, the Oakland Raiders were one of several teams that were "granted permission" by Detroit Lions’ president Matt Millen to talk with quarterback Joey Harrington. Putting it that way, though, almost makes it seem like the team was given some exclusive license to access a premier offseason prospect. But that’s not the case.

The list of top candidates for Harrington is currently piloted by Miami, Dallas, and Cincinnati. However, Oakland, Kansas City, and Seattle all have an equal opportunity to acquire the 6’4", 220-pound quarterback.

But, there is a reason Harrington is still quietly roaming the open market. And the same reason can be used to explain why he was replaced in Detroit this offseason—twice.

He simply did not produce, especially for a third overall pick in an NFL Draft.

If you’re a Raiders fan out there who believes Harrington could add nice depth to the team, you could be in support of a highly precarious business venture.

For one, the Oakland Raiders do not need depth, unless it comes at running back, offensive line, or anywhere on the defense. Aaron Brooks seems the early frontrunner to start at quarterback and Andrew Walter could put up a fight to start sometime in the near future, especially if Brooks struggles early on in the season. And, if Marques Tuiasasopo can keep his cheery "backup face" on for one more season, the Raiders seem deep enough at the quarterback position.

Perhaps you still think Aaron Brooks is much too inconsistent to hold a starting job and Marques Tuiasasopo will never win a game in the NFL.

But what makes you think Joey Harrington will be any better than the team’s third option, Andrew Walter? Harrington, in four seasons with Detroit, posted a high quarterback rating of 77.5. But even so, this 2004 career high number ranked 22nd out of the 33 eligible quarterbacks that year.

And he can’t win. You could argue that his supporting cast has been weak since he was drafted. But that case has become less and less true, especially on the offensive side of the ball for the last two years. Despite the additions of Charles Rogers, Mike Williams, Roy Williams, and Kevin Jones, the Lions’ offense has underachieved greatly over the last two seasons with Harrington at the helm. Last season, Detroit went 5-11, while in 2004 they went 6-10. In 11 starts last year, Harrington led the offense to 20+ points in just two games—in week five against Baltimore and in week ten against Arizona. In his first two years, Harrington disappointed fans, going 3-13 as a rookie and 5-11 as an NFL sophomore.

Maybe Harrington’s offensive line was an enormous letdown over his last four seasons. But the Raiders certainly do not possess a brick wall for Harrington to lounge behind.

Shouldn’t adversity bring the best quarterbacks to the forefront of the NFL elite? Tom Brady made due with a fairly talent-deprived offense to win three Super Bowls; Eli Manning bounced back from a nightmarish rookie season; and Drew Brees kept fighting in San Diego until he finally posted a 104.8 quarterback rating in 2004.

True, Harrington likely wouldn’t even start for Oakland. But if he isn’t good enough to start, he should not be worth Oakland’s prized offseason time just to inherit an unneeded backup role—especially with so many holes on the opposite side of the ball. And last time I checked, the opposing defense keeps their starting players in when a backup quarterback enters the game.

And will the ruffians in the Black Hole do justice to their spiked shoulder pads and painted warrior faces if they have to chant the name "Joey, Joey, Joey…" all game?

It just won’t look right.

Glenn
04-03-2006, 12:48 PM
http://lions.scout.com/2/516216.html

Lions on verge of unloading Harrington?

By: Mike Fowler
Lions Insider
Date: Apr 3, 2006

ALLEN PARK - Joey Harrington starting at Ford Field on Thanksgiving Day would not be an unusual development except this time, he could be wearing the opponents uniform.

Sources close to Harrington's agent David Dunn say that the two sides have reached agreement in principle on a compensation package that have Harrington sign a two-year deal with Miami.

However, Miami has not offered what the Lions are looking for in terms of compensation for the former third overall pick in the draft. The Dolphins do not have either a 5th or a 6th round pick and are balking at sending Detroit anything higher and is trying to convince Detroit to take two 7th round picks.

Detroit, for its part, wants a first day draft pick as compensation, but Harrington, who can refuse to renegotiate his contract if he doesn't get the team of his preference, likes Miami (who wouldn't) over Cincinnati, who is also offering a two-year deal.

Cincinnati, though is believed to be dangling a 5th-round pick to Detroit in exchange for Harrington. Harrington believes that his chances of seeing the field are better in Miami under Saban and behind severely injured quarterback Daunte Culpepper (knee) than they are in Cincinnati behind another Dunn client, Carson Palmer.

Detroit says they are in no hurry to get a deal done but the reality of the situation is they'd love to have whatever picks they can get for Harrington and him out of town by draft day on April 29th.

Anthony
04-03-2006, 07:08 PM
http://www.realfootball365.com/nfl/articles/oakland-raiders-harrington290306.php

Raiders should shy away from Joey Harrington

By Anthony Carroll
03/29/06

On Tuesday, the Oakland Raiders were one of several teams that were "granted permission" by Detroit Lions’ president Matt Millen to talk with quarterback Joey Harrington. Putting it that way, though, almost makes it seem like the team was given some exclusive license to access a premier offseason prospect. But that’s not the case.

The list of top candidates for Harrington is currently piloted by Miami, Dallas, and Cincinnati. However, Oakland, Kansas City, and Seattle all have an equal opportunity to acquire the 6’4", 220-pound quarterback.

But, there is a reason Harrington is still quietly roaming the open market. And the same reason can be used to explain why he was replaced in Detroit this offseason—twice.

He simply did not produce, especially for a third overall pick in an NFL Draft.

If you’re a Raiders fan out there who believes Harrington could add nice depth to the team, you could be in support of a highly precarious business venture.

For one, the Oakland Raiders do not need depth, unless it comes at running back, offensive line, or anywhere on the defense. Aaron Brooks seems the early frontrunner to start at quarterback and Andrew Walter could put up a fight to start sometime in the near future, especially if Brooks struggles early on in the season. And, if Marques Tuiasasopo can keep his cheery "backup face" on for one more season, the Raiders seem deep enough at the quarterback position.

Perhaps you still think Aaron Brooks is much too inconsistent to hold a starting job and Marques Tuiasasopo will never win a game in the NFL.

But what makes you think Joey Harrington will be any better than the team’s third option, Andrew Walter? Harrington, in four seasons with Detroit, posted a high quarterback rating of 77.5. But even so, this 2004 career high number ranked 22nd out of the 33 eligible quarterbacks that year.

And he can’t win. You could argue that his supporting cast has been weak since he was drafted. But that case has become less and less true, especially on the offensive side of the ball for the last two years. Despite the additions of Charles Rogers, Mike Williams, Roy Williams, and Kevin Jones, the Lions’ offense has underachieved greatly over the last two seasons with Harrington at the helm. Last season, Detroit went 5-11, while in 2004 they went 6-10. In 11 starts last year, Harrington led the offense to 20+ points in just two games—in week five against Baltimore and in week ten against Arizona. In his first two years, Harrington disappointed fans, going 3-13 as a rookie and 5-11 as an NFL sophomore.

Maybe Harrington’s offensive line was an enormous letdown over his last four seasons. But the Raiders certainly do not possess a brick wall for Harrington to lounge behind.

Shouldn’t adversity bring the best quarterbacks to the forefront of the NFL elite? Tom Brady made due with a fairly talent-deprived offense to win three Super Bowls; Eli Manning bounced back from a nightmarish rookie season; and Drew Brees kept fighting in San Diego until he finally posted a 104.8 quarterback rating in 2004.

True, Harrington likely wouldn’t even start for Oakland. But if he isn’t good enough to start, he should not be worth Oakland’s prized offseason time just to inherit an unneeded backup role—especially with so many holes on the opposite side of the ball. And last time I checked, the opposing defense keeps their starting players in when a backup quarterback enters the game.

And will the ruffians in the Black Hole do justice to their spiked shoulder pads and painted warrior faces if they have to chant the name "Joey, Joey, Joey…" all game?

It just won’t look right.

I'd rather see Joey battle Walter for the back up spot rather than Marques Tuiasosopo

Train Wreck
04-04-2006, 01:00 AM
Of course you do realize that with Culpeppers injuries, he'd probably be starting?

H1Man
04-04-2006, 01:14 AM
DUNN USING BENGALS AS LEVERAGE

Although agent David Dunn supposedly has debunked a report that Lions quarterback Joey Harrington prefers the Dolphins to the Bengals as his next destination, word around the league is that Dunn has no intention of sending Harrington to Cincinnati, where another Dunn client, Carson Palmer, is the current starter.

But unless the Dolphins think that Harrington has a legitimate alternative elsewhere, Dunn has no leverage in his discussions with Miami.

The weird twist here is that the Bengals are genuinely interested in Harrington, since Jon Kitna has left for Detroit and Carson Palmer is rehabbing a torn ACL. But Dunn, we hear, is concerned that Palmer might not be at 100 percent at any point in 2006, putting Dunn in the awkward position of representing the two principals in a four-month quarterback merry-go-'round.
http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

Unibomber
04-07-2006, 08:54 PM
So Joey still is a member of the Detroit Lions as of right now.

Jesus Christ.

H1Man
04-12-2006, 12:11 AM
And here's why: Detroit must move the unhappy quarterback by June 15 or pay a $4 million roster bonus, and there's a better chance of Terrell Owens doing United Way commercials than Harrington seeing that check. So the clock is ticking on the Lions, and more than one GM believes they're anxious to close a deal.

"I think Matt (Millen, the Lions' president and CEO) believes that if he doesn't move him before the draft his value goes down," said one club executive. "Then, he thinks, teams will wait until June when the Lions will cut him."

It makes sense: Better to gain something rather than nothing.

But then why is Detroit clinging to this notion of a third or fourth-round draft pick for Harrington? Good question. It's the same stubbornness that had the Lions spend three straight first-round choices on wide receivers for a quarterback few trusted -- and now is all but gone.

One offensive assistant who knows Harrington and whose club is interested in him said he'd offer nothing more than a sixth-rounder for the guy. Even then, he said, he wasn't sold that Harrington could be rehabilitated.

"He's scarred," he said. "You'd need at least six months to put this guy back together. He's been burned pretty good."

But let's give credit where it is due. Harrington had his chances in Detroit, where at least one coaching staff and more than one teammate didn't believe they could win with him. Yes, the offensive line was dreadful. But Harrington wasn't much better, throwing more interceptions (62) than touchdowns (60) and losing twice as many (37) as he won (18).

"There's nothing special about him," one Lions' coach once said.

There is now. He's an ostracized quarterback waiting to be embraced. Cincinnati is interested; so is Miami. But the Lions' price is too steep, which means Harrington has something in common with Arrington besides nine letters of his last name.

[Edit]

"If I were Matt," said our pro personnel director, "I'd hold on to (Harrington) until after the draft on the premise that a team getting a quarterback (in the draft) is going to need a backup."

But that's risky, too, because veterans like Kerry Collins and Jamie Martin are out there, and while both are older than Harrington they're also lower maintenance -- and I mean much lower. Some persons believe that if Detroit is on the clock it's not June 15 that's the deadline; it's April 29, the date of the draft.

Which is why they expect the Lions to lower their expectations.

"If they don't," said one coach involved with a team interested in Harrington, "we're out of it. We're not going to budge."
http://cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/story/9371595/rss

Unibomber
04-12-2006, 02:51 AM
I wonder: Is that more because of the Lions or Joey himself that is turning teams off so quickly?

Great find, H1.

H1Man
04-14-2006, 03:30 PM
Harrington might not be traded before draft

The Lions are so adamant about wanting a third-round pick for Joey Harrington that it's possible they won't trade him before or during the draft. The Lions, who might also settle for a mid- to high-fourth-round pick, want to deal Harrington on the first day of the draft or very quickly on the second.

If that doesn't happen, the Lions will likely hold on to Harrington for at least another four weeks, figuring that some teams who were hoping to land a quarterback in the draft -- and didn't -- will agree to a steeper price.

The Lions really want a pick this year but, if they're forced between getting a sixth-rounder this year or a third or fourth next season, they'll do the latter. Simply put, the Lions are going to do everything possible to get whatever they can out of this deal, but they're in no hurry to do it.

How Harrington could set himself free
While the Lions wait around for a team to cough up a third-round pick for Joey Harrington, the quarterback is left twisting in the wind.

Harrington, though, could accelerate the process greatly -- if he showed a little moxie. If Harrington really wants to play for the Dolphins, he should inform the Lions that he will refuse to renegotiate his contract with any other team and then demand that the Lions allow him to take part in Detroit's off-season workout program. It's the same as the situation with Steve McNair and the Titans. Harrington should file a grievance against the Lions and create a stink and force them to do something.

The last thing head coach Rod Marinelli wants is Harrington anywhere near his locker room. If Harrington wins the grievance, the Lions would likely cut him immediately. All Harrington has to do is show a little grit and toughness and he could dictate his own future.

H1Man
04-19-2006, 04:00 AM
Harrington comments on ESPN

This evening on ESPN's NFL Draft Special, a scruffy Joey Harrington was shown on tape discussing his future, and says one of the problems in Detroit was that he never had to earn anything.

Trey Wingo: You mentioned Joey Harrington. Joey Harrington is still in a state of flux with the Detroit Lions. Just a little while earlier we had a chance to listen to what Joey Harrington had to say about his future.

Joey Harrington (recorded): I want to compete. That's all I'm looking for. I'm not looking for anyone to hand me anything. I think that was one of the problems I ran into in Detroit. I was handed a job right away without earning anything. I was handed a job on a team that was, to be perfectly honest, we weren't that great.
Interviewer: Are you good enough to start in the National Football League?
Harrington: You better believe I am. I believe it myself, and I am looking for a chance to go show it again.

Wingo: Technically, he's still a Lion at this point, Mort. We thought he might have a deal in place to go to Miami. What's the latest on where Joey might be going?

Chris Mortensen: Well, the Lions decided to ask for more in trade value than the other teams originally thought. The Dolphins are still in the picture. The Denver Broncos are going to talk to Harrington. They're still in the picture. Cincinnati, maybe. And of course, Seattle. They have Matt Hasselbeck, but there's a thought there that they'd like to expand their offense and use [backup QB] Seneca Wallace in a Antwaan Randle El role. But right now the Lions have to come off their asking price. They're not willing to do that yet.

Wingo: If he wants to compete, he has got plenty of competition in Detroit considering the moves they made this offseason.
http://www.mlive.com/weblogs/highlightreel/index.ssf?/mtlogs/mlive_highlightreel/archives/2006_04.html#132426

H1Man
04-19-2006, 06:38 PM
From John Clayton's Blog

Harrington update Expect Lions quarterback Joey Harrington to push for a trade to the Dolphins very soon. Harrington has verbally agreed to a contract, and even though the Broncos would like him to make a visit, Harrington seems to be insistent about going to Miami. Lions president Matt Millen wants a third- or fourth-round choice for Harrington, and that would be completely out of the question if Harrington goes to Miami. The Dolphins are offering only a sixth-rounder next year. Harrington believes Millen won't stand in the way of letting him go to his team of choice. Things should start picking up soon.

H1Man
04-20-2006, 12:05 AM
Harrington picks Dolphins, awaits Millen's move

Joey Harrington finally decided he wants Miami to be his new home. Now he's asking Lions president Matt Millen to give him the chance to go there.

Harrington, who has been given permission to shop for a trade, told the Lions on Wednesday he wants to go the Dolphins and is firm about the decision. Because he is due a $4 million bonus in June, Harrington has some control over his future because no team wants to pick up his current contract.

After working out a two-year agreement with the Dolphins more than a week ago, Harrington asked Millen to release him or make a trade with the Dolphins so he can move on with his career.

"I look forward to joining the Miami Dolphins whenever I am released or a trade is completed," Harrington said Wednesday in a statement issued by his agent, David Dunn. "The Dolphins are an ascending team with great coaching and I can't wait to get started. I certainly appreciate all that the Ford family and Matt Millen did for me.

"I learned so much in Detroit and I will always value those relationships and that experience. At the same time, I am eager to get to work with my new team, whether that happens in a day, a week or a month," he said.

The Dolphins are offering a sixth-round choice in 2007. The Lions have been asking for a third- or fourth-round choice in this year's draft. Now it's up to Millen to make a concession in his demands or hold up any move until June 15 when Harrington is due the roster bonus.

Harrington was also being pursued by the Broncos but never made a visit to Denver. Harrington did visit the Bengals, but he didn't come to a contractual agreement.

Now that Harrington has made his decision, the ball is in Millen's court.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2414492

Unibomber
04-20-2006, 12:59 AM
Miami could be a scary team if they play their cards right. I have full faith in Joey to prove the doubters wrong, but he has to do it soon. Otherwise, we'll keep asking, if not now, when?

And, for the record, I will still post in this forum once Joey leaves.

H1Man
04-20-2006, 02:22 AM
The Dolphins recently increased their offer to a sixth-round pick in 2007 after initially offering a seventh-rounder this year.

A 6th round pick (a future pick at that) for someone that might end up as the starting QB to open the season? That's fucking ridiculous. [smilie=404.gif]

Artis Gilmore
04-20-2006, 09:21 AM
I want to compete. That's all I'm looking for. I'm not looking for anyone to hand me anything. I think that was one of the problems I ran into in Detroit. I was handed a job right away without earning anything. I was handed a job on a team that was, to be perfectly honest, we weren't that great.

We weren't that great because of you you fucking fag.

Black Dynamite
04-20-2006, 09:53 AM
The Dolphins recently increased their offer to a sixth-round pick in 2007 after initially offering a seventh-rounder this year.

A 6th round pick (a future pick at that) for someone that might end up as the starting QB to open the season? That's fucking ridiculous. [smilie=404.gif]
its for a guy the lions wont keep anyways. and with that info its worth a 6th rounder or less. teams need to learn not to look so desperate.

H1Man
04-21-2006, 03:47 AM

its for a guy the lions wont keep anyways. and with that info its worth a 6th rounder or less. teams need to learn not to look so desperate.

Patrick Ramsey fetched a 6th rounder for the Redskins. There is no reason why Joey couldn't get us a 4th or a 5th round pick, especially considering the fact that Miami might be without Culpepper to start the season.

H1Man
04-21-2006, 04:13 AM
LIONS, DUNN PLAYING CHICKEN

We're hearing that Wednesday's statement from quarterback Joey Harrington regarding his interest in joining the Dolphins was triggered by the news that the Broncos had picked up extra picks in exchange for the No. 22 overall selection in the April 29-30 draft.

We're told that Harrington and his agent, David Dunn, concluded that the move might be a precursor to a trade of Harrington to Denver. So Dunn and Harrington opted to put out the word that the former No. 3 overall pick wants to play for the Dolphins.

Dunn believes that he holds all of the cards on this one, since he can block a trade by refusing on Harrington's behalf to restructure a contract that presently calls for a $4 million roster bonus on June 15. But if the Lions decide to hold firm and not release Joey until June 14, it will be too late for Harrington to get ready to be the opening-day starter for the Dolphins, if Daunte Culpepper isn't sufficiently recovered from his torn ligament trifecta. Indeed, it's likely that the Dolphins will look elsewhere for a backup quarterback if they can't get Harrington under contract soon.

We're also hearing that the Dolphins are willing to bump their current offer from a seventh-round pick to a sixth-round selection. The only problem in this regard is that the Fins currently don't have a sixth-rounder, so they'd have to swing a trade with someone else to get the six.

The Lions, we're told, still want at least a fourth-round pick. There's talk that the Lions might reduce their demands to a fifth-rounder.

The Dolphins used their fifth-round pick last summer in the supplemental draft, when they selected USC defensive tackle Manuel Wright.

The Fins reportedly are offering a sixth-round pick in 2007, since they likewise don't have a sixth-rounder in this year's draft, either.

Black Dynamite
04-21-2006, 10:28 AM

Patrick Ramsey fetched a 6th rounder for the Redskins. There is no reason why Joey couldn't get us a 4th or a 5th round pick, especially considering the fact that Miami might be without Culpepper to start the season.
1.)joey's trade value is about at ramsey's level. not because of talent. because the lions have 2 qb's and are not going to keep harrington. the redskins didnt have to trade ramsey and got a 6th rounder. the lions do have to trade or cut harrington. no team is giving more than a sixth rounder for a guy they could sign in free agency eventually. and joey commiting to them further solidifies that..

Glenn
04-30-2006, 11:40 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2427730

Lions might deal QB Harrington to Browns for pick

By John Clayton
ESPN.com

After four difficult seasons in Detroit, quarterback Joey Harrington felt he found a safe landing place by agreeing to be traded to the Miami Dolphins and working out a financial deal.

That ride might get tougher Sunday. The Lions failed to convince him this week to readjust his contract for a trade with the Chiefs or the Browns, so on Sunday morning, they plan to get tough. They are considering trading him to the Browns for a fourth- or fifth-round choice, and if he refuses to go, they are threatening to challenge his agreement with the Dolphins.

Harrington visited the Dolphins and the Bengals after the Lions gave him permission to shop himself with a trade. He canceled a visit to the Broncos and decided to go to the Dolphins. Harrington and the Dolphins worked out a two-year agreement that would facilitate the trade. Because he has a $4.45 million salary and a $4 million roster bonus due around June 15, Harrington needs to restructure his contract before any trade.

Although Lions president Matt Millen told Harrington he would let him go where the quarterback wanted, the Lions don't want to trade him for the sixth-round choice in 2007 being offered by the Dolphins. The Lions prefer a draft choice Sunday.

A trade could be tricky with the Browns, who have seven second day draft choices. One possibility would be to make a trade with Cleveland that is contingent on Harrington reworking his deal with the Browns, and if he couldn't, he could be traded back to the Lions.

The Dolphins' position is that Harrington wants to join their team. The Lions' position is that the collective bargaining agreement doesn't permit a secret deal and might go to the NFL Management Council for help.

The market for Harrington in a trade diminished when the Broncos drafted Jay Cutler and the Chiefs drafted Brodie Croyle, leaving the Browns as one of the few options for the Lions aside from Miami.

For Harrington, it means his exit from Detroit could become as difficult as his four-year stay.

DennyMcLain
04-30-2006, 03:17 PM
Browns pass on trade with Lions for QB Harrington

By John Clayton
ESPN.com

http://adsatt.espn.go.com/ad/sponsors/ESPN_In_House_Marketing/Apr_2006/espn-146x46-0016.gif (http://log.go.com/log?srvc=sz&guid=C39C3C3D-13E7-4171-BA60-297B01C12DE9&drop=0&addata=1332:275:229337:65&a=1&goto=http://mobile.espn.go.com/?campaign=mobile&source=ESPN_ROS_146x46_BaseballRidicStats)

The Lions handled the Joey Harrington (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?statsId=5889) situation like a game of poker Sunday.

Detroit told Harrington's agent, David Dunn, that they were going to try to trade him to Cleveland. The Browns called Harrington and the quarterback told them that he didn't want to come to Cleveland.

So what did the Browns do? They kept drafting and didn't make a trade. They took four players -- linebacker Leon Williams, guard Isaac Sowells, halfback Jerome Harrison and cornerback DeMario Minter, leaving them only sixth and seventh round picks to move.
The Lions' threat so far hasn't worked as Harrington continues to plan to go to the Dolphins. Now, the Dolphins are considering not giving the Lions a sixth-round pick in 2007 and just waiting for him to be released in June.
Harrington visited the Dolphins and the Bengals after the Lions gave him permission to shop himself with a trade. He canceled a visit to the Broncos and decided to go to the Dolphins. Harrington and the Dolphins worked out a two-year agreement that would facilitate the trade. Because he has a $4.45 million salary and a $4 million roster bonus due around June 15, Harrington needs to restructure his contract before any trade.
Although Lions president Matt Millen told Harrington he would let him go where the quarterback wanted, the Lions don't want to trade him for the sixth-round choice in 2007 being offered by the Dolphins. The Lions prefer a draft choice Sunday.
The Dolphins' position is that Harrington wants to join their team. The Lions' position is that the collective bargaining agreement doesn't permit a secret deal and might go to the NFL Management Council for help.
The market for Harrington in a trade diminished when the Broncos drafted Jay Cutler and the Chiefs drafted Brodie Croyle, leaving the Browns as one of the few options for the Lions aside from Miami.

John Clayton is a senior NFL writer for ESPN.com.

And the hits just keep on coming!!!

H1Man
05-01-2006, 10:11 PM
Per PFT:

HARRINGTON SITUATION GETTING UGLIER (OR LIONS GETTING STUPIDER)

John Clayton of ESPN.com reports that the Detroit Lions are considering a challenge to the financial arrangement that quarterback Joey Harrington has worked out with the Miami Dolphins.

The Lions decided several weeks back to part ways with Harrington. Instead of cutting the No. 3 overall pick in the 2002 draft, the Lions have been trying to get value for him via a trade. It's a foregone conclusion that, if the Lions can't trade him before June 15, when Harrington is due to receive a $4 million roster bonus, Harrington will be released.

So Harrington and his agent, David Dunn, engaged in talks with teams like the Bengals and the Dolphins in effort to work out a new financial agreement. After all, no team is going to give up a draft pick and then assume a contract requiring it to cough up $4 million in less than two months.

Harrington and Dunn worked out a deal with the Dolphins, and Dunn recently announced that Harrington wants to go there.

The only glitch? The Lions and the Fins can't get together on compensation.

Now, the Lions are complaining about the deal that they invited Harrington and Dunn to make with the Fins in an effort to secure a trade.

Because Harrington has in hand an acceptable financial package with the Dolphins, Joey apparently is refusing to work with the Browns or Broncos or anyone else who might be interested in acquiring him. But Harrington has no obligation to restructure his deal. If Cleveland or Denver want to acquire his rights, they acquire the whole package -- including the $4 million roster bonus.

Obviously, no team will work out a trade until after they first work out an acceptable financial package. In this case, the Dolphins worked out the terms with Harrington, but then reached an impasse with the Lions.

The best move for the Lions at this point would be to shut up. They created this mess. The blame for the fact that it's not being cleaned up in the manner that the Lions prefer falls only to the Lions.

BIG BEN'S FRO
05-03-2006, 10:02 AM
ESPN reporting that Marcus Vick has been invited to Miami's camp.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2430107

Maybe he should have been a little more open to other teams. He is going to look real bad if they decide to go with Vick and he has no job.

MoTown
05-03-2006, 10:14 AM
I'm 99.9% sure Saban isn't that stupid. An untalented, horrendous attitude player who's famous only because of his older brother vs. an underachiever with 4 years of NFL starting experience? Joey may not be much (even if he could be) but he's definitely the better option.

Varsity
05-03-2006, 11:15 AM
They only have 1 QB, them picking up Marcus has no bearing on Joey.

TK
05-03-2006, 11:27 AM
Joey who? I'm unfamiliar with any Lion player with that name.

Varsity
05-03-2006, 01:32 PM
Joey who? I'm unfamiliar with any Lion player with that name.

Check the Lions current roster. You'll find him there.

H1Man
05-03-2006, 07:05 PM
From John Clayton's Blog:

Harrington still a Lion ... for now

After the Lions tried to get the best of the Dolphins by threatening to trade Joey Harrington to Cleveland, the Dolphins are turning the heat up on the Lions. They've pulled their offer of a sixth-round choice in 2007 for Harrington. Instead, they will wait until he is cut. The Lions complained to the NFL that Harrington had a deal with the Dolphins, but he was given permission to seek a trade and work out a new contract to fit under the cap. The Lions hoped for the Browns to bail them out by trading them a fourth- or fifth-round choice Sunday. The Browns changed their minds when Harrington said he was going to Miami. If the Lions don't cut Harrington by June 15, they owe him a $4 million roster bonus. The only thing Harrington could do to speed up the process is show up at the Lions facility and try to practice.

Black Dynamite
05-05-2006, 04:01 PM
LOL@joey and millen playing remedial chess.

what if they fucked up and paid him the bonus and the dolphins pass on him for vick when he is finally cut? :D

Vinny
05-12-2006, 12:51 PM
http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/football/14558230.htm

Source: Deal is reached for Dolphins QB

A source said the Dolphins and Lions agreed to a deal that will send Joey Harrington to Miami. Meanwhile, Ricky Williams may get permission to talk to the CFL.

BY JASON COLE

jcole@MiamiHerald.com

http://www.miami.com/images/miami/miamiherald/14558/211946325174.jpg
AP PHOTO
Joey Harrington could soon get his wish to join the Dolphins. Miami and Detroit have reached a deal for the QB, a source said.

Moore fails physical, trade canceled
Greg Cote's blog | Team OKs Ricky's run for the border
Greg Cote's blog | Like a good neighbor, Joey is here
Quarterback Joey Harrington apparently is headed south, and suspended running back Ricky Williams appears closer to heading north.
A source close to Harrington said Thursday night the Dolphins and Detroit Lions have worked out a deal to send the former No. 3 overall draft pick to Miami. Harrington was scheduled to participate in a charity event next week but had to cancel because he will have to be in Miami to take part in the opening of organized training activity.
That activity essentially is team practices that lead to a three-day minicamp for all players June 9-11. The Dolphins want to have Harrington with the team now so he can learn the offense.
Meanwhile, Toronto Argonauts assistant general manager Greg Mohns indicated that talks between the Dolphins and the Canadian Football League team were ``progressing.''
''Something may get done here pretty soon,'' Mohns said Thursday. Dolphins spokesman Harvey Greene said the team had no comment on the matter.
As for Harrington, terms of the deal were unavailable. The Dolphins had been offering a sixth-round pick in the 2007 draft. But that was before the NFL Draft in April. Lions president Matt Millen had irritated coach Nick Saban by mistakenly accusing the Dolphins of breaking salary cap rules by working out a deal with Harrington earlier in April.
However, talks on a deal continued last weekend, with two sources indicating the Dolphins hoped to have Harrington by Monday.
Harrington, who is due a $4 million roster bonus June 15, has agreed to forgo that bonus to sign with the Dolphins. He essentially ruined any leverage for Detroit by declaring in April that he wouldn't agree to restructure his contract with any other team besides the Dolphins.
Harrington, who has thrown 60 touchdown passes and 62 interceptions in his four-year career, followed through on that declaration when he declined to go to the Cleveland Browns on the second day of the draft, prompting Millen's accusation.

Glenn
05-12-2006, 01:00 PM
Cool.

I hope we got better than a 6th, but it really doesn't matter, as long as it's finally done.

Glenn
05-12-2006, 01:06 PM
More detail, LOL at the bold part.

http://www.mlive.com/lions/stories/index.ssf?/base/sports-1/1139244003151770.xml&coll=1

Reports: Harrington will be traded to Dolphins today

Friday, May 12, 2006
By Tom Kowalski

ALLEN PARK - Joey Harrington's controversial career with the Detroit Lions might finally be over.

According to two Florida newspaper reports, a trade with the Miami Dolphins is expected to be completed today. Terms of the trade have not been disclosed but the two clubs had earlier discussed a sixth-round draft choice, which the Lions initially rejected.

Harrington's departure from Detroit was a mutual parting of the ways. Harrington knew his teammates had lost confidence in him and the new head coach Rod Marinelli wasn't convinced Harrington could lead his team. After his initial meetings with the new staff didn't go well, the Lions granted Harrington permission to seek a trade.

Harrington visited the Cincinnati Bengals and then the Dolphins and then decided he was going to play in Miami and refused any other inquiries from other teams. The Lions had talked trade with the Cleveland Browns, Denver Broncos and Kansas City Chiefs but Harrington, who would have to restructure his contract for a trade to go through, refused to meet with those clubs.

After efforts to trade Harrington during the recent college draft failed, the Lions threatened action against the veteran quarterback and the Dolphins for entering into an improper agreement. The league, however, quickly shot that down. Then the Lions threatened to trade Harrington to another club, forcing him to go to that team (at least for a physical) and then letting that club try to sway Harrington into renegotiating his contract. Harrington was due a $4 million roster bonus on June 15 and an additional $4.5 million in salary for the 2006 season and no club wanted to pay that amount.

In the end, though, the Dolphins decided to give up something so they could get Harrington signed to a reported two-year deal and have him participate in their upcoming minicamp.

Harrington, who started 55 games during his four-year career in Detroit, was a controversial pick from the beginning. Then head coach Marty Mornhinweg has said that Harrington was his third choice with the third overall pick in the 2002 draft. Mornhinweg wanted to trade out of the pick and, if that failed, he wanted to draft cornerback Quentin Jammer.

Lions president Matt Milen, though, took control and drafted Harrington. Mornhinweg was never sold on Harrington and wanted to play Mike McMahon, but was overruled. When Steve Mariucci was hired, he too, looked for replacements for Harrington, including Mike McMahon and free agent Jeff Garcia. In fact, both Mariucci and interim head coach Dick Jauron eventually benched Harrington in favor of Garcia.

During his career, Harrington completed 54.7 percent of his passes for 10,242 yards, 60 touchdowns and 62 interceptions. His quarterback rating was 68.1 during his four years in Detroit. He was 18-37 as a starter.

In Miami, Harrington will step into a backup role behind former Minnesota Vikings quarterback Daunte Culpepper. Because Culpepper is recovering from major knee surgery, however, Harrington might be pressed into the starting lineup for the first few games of the 2006 regular season.

I can't wait to read me some Taymelo posts after Harrington has his first decent game with the Dolphins.

Tahoe
05-12-2006, 01:20 PM
This the bagillionth time the deal is supposedly done...I don't believe the reports anymore. Which means the deal is prolly done.

Glenn
05-12-2006, 03:25 PM
According to ESPN Radio it's a 6th rounder than can be upgraded to a 5th rounder depending on how much Joey plays (not how well).

Glenn
05-12-2006, 03:48 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2442339

Harrington sent to Dolphins for draft pick

By Len Pasquarelli
ESPN.com

The much discussed trade of Detroit Lions quarterback Joey Harrington to the Miami Dolphins was finally completed Friday afternoon.

After more than a month of haggling, and intermittent acrimony in the bargaining between the two teams, the Lions accepted a sixth-round pick in the 2007 draft in exchange for the four-year veteran. The choice can escalate to a fifth-rounder if Harrington reaches certain playing time thresholds.

The deal will allow Harrington to begin participating in Miami's organized team activities, which begin on Monday. The Dolphins pushed for a resolution to the prolonged talks because they want Harrington to have time to assimilate the offense before the club convenes for a three-day mini-camp June 9-11.

Last month, Miami offered Detroit a sixth-round selection in the 2007 draft and the Lions refused to make a deal. In fact, Lions team president Matt Millen attempted during the draft to seek other suitors and was in talks with the Cleveland Browns about a trade. But because of his contractual situation, and the need for any new team to readjust a deal deemed too prohibitive for a backup, Harrington held some leverage and essentially refused to discuss a restructuring with any team but the Dolphins.

Apparently, adding the provision that can raise the compensation to a fifth-round choice was enough to satisfy Detroit officials.

Under his Detroit contract, Harrington was due a $4 million roster bonus on June 15 and a 2006 base salary of $4.5 million. Until the latest movement in talks between the Lions and Dolphins, it appeared that Millen might simply keep Harrington until just before the roster bonus became due.

Harrington last month reached a tentative two-year agreement with the Dolphins, which prompted Millen to suggest that Miami officials had acted improperly. The NFL Management Council, the league's labor arm, ruled that there was no impropriety, and that Harrington was free to deal with teams because the Lions had granted him and agent David Dunn the right to seek out potential trade partners.

At various times after the Lions publicly announced that Harrington would not return in 2006, and that they would attempt to trade him, various franchises indicated interest in the former University of Oregon star. He visited with the Cincinnati Bengals and there were indications that the Denver Broncos and the Kansas City Chiefs had varying degrees of interest as well. None of those teams stepped forward, however, with the kind of conviction the Dolphins demonstrated.

The Dolphins covet Harrington as an insurance policy against the possibility that starting quarterback Daunte Culpepper, who is still rehabilitating from surgery to repair three torn ligaments in his right knee, might not be available at the outset of the regular season. Acquired from the Minnesota Vikings in a trade for a second-round draft choice, Culpepper is said to be ahead of schedule for his recovery, but there are still doubts about when he will be completely rehabilitated from the severe injury suffered in October.

If Culpepper cannot open the season, Harrington would be the Dolphins' starter.

Harrington, 27, started 55 games for the Lions and posted a record of 18-37. He completed 986 of 1,802 passes for 10,242 yards, with 60 touchdown passes and 62 interceptions, for an efficiency rating of 68.1. Harrington started 11 games in 2005, was benched at one point in favor of Jeff Garcia, and then regained his starting job.

He reportedly asked Lions officials earlier in the spring, including Millen and first-year head coach Rod Marinelli, to either trade or release him. Detroit has signed a trio of veteran quarterbacks -- Jon Kitna, Josh McCown and Shaun King -- in the offseason. Kitna and McCown will compete for the starting job.

H1Man
05-12-2006, 09:57 PM
Given the circumstances, 6th/5th rounder is the probably the best deal Millen could've made. But he should've handled the whole situation better than he did.

Taymelo
05-13-2006, 07:40 AM
I'm officially opening up bids on a Joey Harrington package:

1 full sized signed football
1 signed Lions mini-helmet
1 acrylic combined full sized football/mini-helmet case

Bidding starts at $.50

Glenn, shall I gift wrap it for you?

Did I mention that it makes a great Mother's Day gift?

Glenn
05-15-2006, 08:43 AM
I'm officially opening up bids on a Joey Harrington package:

1 full sized signed football
1 signed Lions mini-helmet
1 acrylic combined full sized football/mini-helmet case

Well, finally an explanation for all of your Joey man-love.

Fool
05-15-2006, 10:08 AM
LOL@Taymelo affinity for strawberries.

H1Man
05-16-2006, 11:51 PM
From KFFL:

Dolphins | More about Harrington trade
Tue, 16 May 2006 07:24:20 -0700

David J. Neal, of the Miami Herald, reports Miami Dolphins head coach Nick Saban wouldn't reveal the playing threshold for what would turn the conditional 2007 draft pick the Dolphins traded to the Detroit Lions for QB Joey Harrington from a sixth-rounder to a fifth-rounder. However, Saban said neither draft pick is frozen. ''It's a conditional pick until the season is over, but we have use of the pick,'' Saban said. Should the Dolphins use the 2007 draft pick in a supplemental draft, the conditional pick Detroit gets becomes a 2008 pick.

H1Man
05-18-2006, 07:17 PM
Details on Joey's contract with the Dolphins.

Dolphins | Harrington signed to three-year deal
Wed, 17 May 2006 10:52:18 -0700

Len Pasquarelli, of ESPN.com, reports the Miami Dolphins signed QB Joey Harrington to a three-year contract after acquiring him from the Detroit Lions, according to league salary documents. The deal includes a signing bonus of $2.2 million and a 2006 base salary of $800,000, meaning that Harrington will earn $3 million for the coming season. Harrington is due to receive a $1 million roster bonus and a $1.75 million base salary in 2007. The team guaranteed $750,000 of the $1.75 million base salary, meaning Harrington will receive it even if he is no longer with the club. Harrington will receive $3.75 million in guaranteed money during the three-year deal. The third year of the deal is designed to be so prohibitive that it will force the Dolphins to restructure the contract or release the veteran quarterback. It includes a $10 million roster bonus, a $5 million base salary and an exorbitant cap charge of $15.733 million.

Glenn
12-19-2006, 09:17 AM
Garcia >>> Harrington

I feel vindicated.

Zekyl
12-20-2006, 09:40 AM
Garcia >>> Harrington

I feel vindicated.

Both>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> the 2-11 Detroit Pussycats