WTFDetroit.com

View Full Version : Culpepper: Trade me or release me

H1Man
03-08-2006, 03:59 PM
Culpepper: Trade me, or terminate my contract

Daunte Culpepper's shaky relationship with the Minnesota Vikings deteriorated further on Wednesday when the quarterback said he has asked to be released if the team can't work out a trade.

In an e-mail to reporters, Culpepper said he has been made aware that the Vikings are shopping him on the trade market. He asked the Vikings if he could speak to interested teams on his own behalf -- and was denied.

"If a trade does not happen then I am asking the Vikings to terminate my contract as soon as possible," Culpepper wrote.

He said he appreciated that the team's new owner, Zygi Wilf, was willing to pay him a $6 million bonus due later this month.

"However, because of the fundamental differences I have with management regarding the approach to my personal and professional life, I think it is the best business decision for both parties to go our separate ways," Culpepper said.

He softened his message slightly by saying that if the team didn't honor his request, "then I intend to fulfill my contractual obligations to the Minnesota Vikings."

In a brief phone interview with The Associated Press, Culpepper said he had been angered by a recent e-mail he received from the team. He didn't elaborate on the contents of the e-mail.

A Vikings spokesman didn't immediately return a phone call.

Culpepper's status with the team has been in question ever since a boat party scandal on Lake Minnetonka in September. He was charged with several misdemeanors for lewd conduct; Culpepper has said he is innocent and will fight the allegations in court.

Further complicating Culpepper's situation is his continued recovery from a devastating knee injury on Oct. 30 against Carolina. Culpepper missed most of last season after tearing three ligaments in his right knee, calling into question whether he will be ready for the start of the 2006 season.

Even before the injury, Culpepper was having one of his worst seasons as a pro.

He threw twice as many interceptions as he did touchdowns during the Vikings' 2-5 start. After he went down with the injury, backup Brad Johnson guided the Vikings to six straight wins, though that was due as much to an improved defense as it was Johnson's play.

Culpepper let his longtime agent, Mason Ashe, go in the offseason. He has been representing himself since then, saying he wanted to be more involved in his financial business, and has issued several statements to the media conveying his general unhappiness with the organization.

Culpepper signed a 10-year, $102 million contract in 2003, but much of that money was not guaranteed. He restructured his contract during training camp last season to give him nearly $8 million more in guaranteed money, but the quarterback has not been a steady presence with the team during its coaching change.

Wilf fired Mike Tice after the last game of the season and replaced him with Philadelphia offensive coordinator Brad Childress.

During his introductory press conference, Childress proclaimed Culpepper the starter, though he acknowledged at the NFL combine that the team had received inquiries about his availability.

Childress said then that he hoped to have both Culpepper and Johnson on the team this season.

"That's the mindset," Childress said at the combine in Indianapolis. "I don't know anything to the contrary."
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2359699

Jethro34
03-08-2006, 04:19 PM
I hope he sticks with his comments. Only because I'm sick of athletes spouting off and then ending up back with the team trying to pretend nothing happened (see Manny Ramirez, Miguel Tejada, and countless others that aren't coming to mind right now across all the major sports).

Anthony
03-08-2006, 05:17 PM
I hope he goes to Oakland. Please please go to oakland. Throw that deep ball to Randy Moss! DO IT!

Black Dynamite
03-08-2006, 05:37 PM
I hope he goes to Oakland. Please please go to oakland. Throw that deep ball to Randy Moss! DO IT!
wont happen. we still have the human statue qb.

Darth Thanatos
03-08-2006, 05:43 PM
Fumblepepper and his butterfingers aren't anything I'm interested in.

MoTown
03-09-2006, 09:20 AM
Randy Moss has to be cracking up right now.

MOLA1
03-09-2006, 10:31 AM
SIGN HIM!!!! WE NEED MORE QUARTERBACKS!!!1

CULPEPPER
HARRINGTON
RAMSEY
KING
ORLOVSKY

FUCK YES!!! WE SHOULD DRAFT A QB TOO!!! LET'S GO!!!

WTFchris
03-09-2006, 11:46 AM
I want nothing to do with him. He's damaged goods (tore everything in his knee), and wants lots of money. Forget it.

Fool
03-09-2006, 12:29 PM
SIGN HIM!!!! WE NEED MORE QUARTERBACKS!!!1

CULPEPPER
HARRINGTON
RAMSEY
KING
ORLOVSKY

FUCK YES!!! WE SHOULD DRAFT A QB TOO!!! LET'S GO!!!

We should sign Tom Tupa as out punter. Dude can play QB.

DennyMcLain
03-09-2006, 05:01 PM
Send him off to the Patriots..

The Fayetteville Patriots, that is.

http://www.nba.com/media/dleague/patriots_mainhdr_bg.jpg
+
http://sportsmedia.ign.com/sports/image/article/574/574802/daunte-culpepper-interview-20041221023121283-000.jpg
=
http://www.minorleaguenews.com/graphics/basketball/Players/04NBDLchampionship/fw_Brandon%20Kurtz%20holding.jpg

Darth Thanatos
03-09-2006, 05:38 PM
FOXSPORTS and ESPN are reporting that the Viking big wigs will be trading Culpepper in the near future, so this should be exciting.

Glenn
03-09-2006, 06:07 PM
Mort says deal imminent within 24 hrs, either Raiders or Dolphins

H1Man
03-09-2006, 11:33 PM

It seems like he will be going to Oakland.

Black Dynamite
03-09-2006, 11:36 PM

how so? you got some info?

H1Man
03-10-2006, 12:45 AM

how so? you got some info?
No. I don't have any info but based on the fact that Miami has been looking at Bress, Oakland looks to me like the obvious choice.

DennyMcLain
03-15-2006, 05:19 PM
Welcome to the Dolphins, gimpy.