WTFDetroit.com

View Full Version : Lions are millions under the cap (Updated: $3.3 Million)

UncleCliffy
02-24-2006, 07:53 PM
Unclecliffy's sources are saying that the Lions have been awarded an extra $11 mil in cap space. I'll make a few calls around Allen Park to confirm it.

The story is true. My source confirmed it. I'll try to post a link is espn.com reports it. Drew Brees here we come.

UncleCliffy
02-24-2006, 09:47 PM
http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/9264898

The Irony
02-24-2006, 10:21 PM
yeah i saw it on nfl network a couple hours ago..something about Shaun Rogers contract...my girlfriend was yappity yapping on the phone so i couldnt really hear it

the guy said that they could spend the extra money on drew brees

H1Man
02-24-2006, 11:00 PM
This is not really breaking news.

Shaun Rogers had an unattainable bonus of 11.75 million dollars written into his contract. But it would have only counted against the 2006 cap because next year is uncapped. It wouldn't have counted against the cap in any other year.

And for you guys suggesting Brees, I got a better idea: Steve Hutchinson.

The Irony
02-24-2006, 11:09 PM

so you've always known this was gonna happen?

and yes hutchinson > brees

in fact

Hutchinson, taking a chance on the other Mike Williams. A CB like Ahmed Plummer or Law, a decent RB because Kev is always hurt...Julian Peterson at a cheap price..chad pennington as a backup

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Brees

Theres no way the Lions can fuck this one up...i refuse to believe it

Artis Gilmore
02-24-2006, 11:14 PM
Fuck Brees.

VENITARY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

H1Man
02-24-2006, 11:19 PM

so you've always known this was gonna happen?
Sort of. I would be lying if I said I knew it was gonna happen but the fact that it happened doesn't suprise me one bit.

and yes hutchinson > brees

in fact

Hutchinson, taking a chance on the other Mike Williams. A CB like Ahmed Plummer or Law, a decent RB because Kev is always hurt...Julian Peterson at a cheap price..chad pennington as a backup

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Brees

Theres no way the Lions can fuck this one up...i refuse to believe it
Law is going to want a big contract and I am not sure if we afford him given the money we invested in Bryant.

But I would make Seattle regret not franchising Hutchison. Give him contract high enough that Seattle can't afford him (They still have to resign Alexander).

I would also go after Bentley, Chris Hope, Witherspoon.

MOLA1
02-25-2006, 08:56 AM
Fuck Brees.

VENITARY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!HELL YEAH!!!!!

WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT?!?!?!?

Artis Gilmore
02-25-2006, 12:46 PM
LOL!!!!!!!

Venitari

I think.....

DrRay11
02-25-2006, 12:51 PM
LOL!!!!!!!

Venitari

I think.....

Are you talking about the kicker?

JS
02-25-2006, 04:03 PM
Has anybody read anywhere what it would cost us to cut Harrington and Bryant or how much it would save us?

I only mention cutting Harrington since we are talking about Brees. I would think given the lack of production from Harrington and the lack of health by Bryant even if we don't cut them the leverage of getting them to take pay cuts is in Millens favor.

I know NFL network has a hard on for the Lions cap space but in actual dollars how much do we have given the lack of CBA, can we really vastly improve?

H1Man
02-25-2006, 05:10 PM
Has anybody read anywhere what it would cost us to cut Harrington and Bryant or how much it would save us?

I only mention cutting Harrington since we are talking about Brees. I would think given the lack of production from Harrington and the lack of health by Bryant even if we don't cut them the leverage of getting them to take pay cuts is in Millens favor.

I know NFL network has a hard on for the Lions cap space but in actual dollars how much do we have given the lack of CBA, can we really vastly improve?

Harrington has a $4M roster bonus due on June 15th this year. So if we cut him now, his cap hit will be $10.9M but if we cut him in 2007 it will only be $6.9M.

flipscrackers
02-25-2006, 06:40 PM
According to Tom K, the Lions should have about $9-10 mil to work with under the salary cap.

http://www.mlive.com/lions/weblog/index.ssf?/mtlogs/mlive_lions/archives/2006_02.html#115991

It's finally settled -- Lions are $9 million under salary cap
INDIANAPOLIS, (3:20 p.m.) -- After checking and re-checking with sources, the Lions are $9 million under the cap. However, this is based on a preliminary cap number of $92 million (the league will release the official number on Monday, but it shouldn't go higher than $93 million, meaning Detroit would then be $10 million under the cap). This also assumes a new CBA won't be reached; if a new deal is reached, each team's salary cap number would likely rise by several million dollars.

This number of $9 million already figures in the $7 million cap hit from the franchise tag to Jeff Backus.

One source told me the Lions are in excellent cap shape, probably in the top 10 in the league.

Let me explain the Shaun Rogers thing. Due to bookkeeping reasons, when the Lions signed Shaun Rogers at end of the 2004 season, they put in an $11.75 million incentive bonus. To earn it, Rogers would have to play on 95 percent of the team's special teams which would never, ever happen. As a result, the Lions knew that money was coming off their cap this week and had budgeted for it.

As a result, there was no "windfall.'' It was part of their plan from the start.

Artis Gilmore
02-25-2006, 08:25 PM
LOL!!!!!!!

Venitari

I think.....

Are you talking about the kicker?No the Quarterback. [smilie=rolleyes2.g:

Gecko
02-26-2006, 07:25 PM
damn, this is great news. I actually feel a little elated and optimistic.

flipscrackers
02-26-2006, 07:26 PM
Found this on another message board, citing the information from ESPN Insider on possible cuts. The first number is the player's cap number, the second the savings in 2006 if cut.

Detroit Lions
Player Cap number 2006 savings
CB Fernando Bryant $3,916,666 $2,249,998
QB Joey Harrington $12,043,750 $5,412,500

DrRay11
02-26-2006, 08:18 PM
LOL!!!!!!!

Venitari

I think.....

Are you talking about the kicker?No the Quarterback. [smilie=rolleyes2.g:

Alright you fuck, if you spelled the name right, I would've known.

Idiot.

Jethro34
02-27-2006, 11:22 AM
It's Vinatieri. Some people actually check things out before they post TWICE with wrong info. But who ever expected Steve to come with an educated, researched post?

Vinny
02-27-2006, 12:43 PM
http://www.mlive.com/lions/stories/index.ssf?/base/sports-1/1140910805258100.xml&coll=1&thispage=2

There is no truth to the report that the Lions received an $11.75 million windfall this week in their salary cap.

When the Lions signed defensive tackle Shaun Rogers to a six-year contract extension near the end of the 2004 season, they included a clause that would pay Rogers $11.75 million if, in his first two years, he played on 95 percent of the special teams plays.

It was done only for bookkeeping purposes to massage the cap because the Lions -- and Rogers -- never expected him to reach the incentive. The Lions had already budgeted that money into their cap strategy when the funds finally became available last week. The Lions remain about $9 million under the cap.

"It's a non-story," said Lions chief operating officer Tom Lewand. "Nothing's changed."

Unibomber
02-27-2006, 07:58 PM
Vinaitieri. LOL.

And I think that Bentley + another solid lineman might be even better for the Lions.

H1Man
02-27-2006, 08:18 PM
http://www.mlive.com/lions/stories/index.ssf?/base/sports-1/1140910805258100.xml&coll=1&thispage=2

There is no truth to the report that the Lions received an $11.75 million windfall this week in their salary cap.

When the Lions signed defensive tackle Shaun Rogers to a six-year contract extension near the end of the 2004 season, they included a clause that would pay Rogers $11.75 million if, in his first two years, he played on 95 percent of the special teams plays.

It was done only for bookkeeping purposes to massage the cap because the Lions -- and Rogers -- never expected him to reach the incentive. The Lions had already budgeted that money into their cap strategy when the funds finally became available last week. The Lions remain about $9 million under the cap.

"It's a non-story," said Lions chief operating officer Tom Lewand. "Nothing's changed."
I don't think that this report is true.

The Lions were expecting to get $11.75M from Rogers contract and that is why it was a non-story to them.

H1Man
03-01-2006, 05:57 PM
According to John Clayton, the Lions are $10.6M below the cap based on $92 million cap for the 2006 season.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2349505

Edit: Changed the title of the thread.

H1Man
03-11-2006, 06:10 AM
The Lions cap space stands at $17.7 Million based on a $102 Million salary cap.

http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/728/salarycap5iy.jpg

http://proxy.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2349505

This is one of the reasons why I hate the new CBA. Instead of teams being forced to cut players, every team now has money to spend. [smilie=404.gif]

Gecko
03-11-2006, 04:06 PM
If the new CBA means less player movement than I am all for it. `

H1Man
03-26-2006, 05:30 PM
Cap updates:

- Cutting or trading Harrington can save us $5.4 Million.

- If we use the June 1st option on Harrington, we can save $8.5 Million this season, but he will cost $3.1 Million against the 2006 and 2007 cap.

- Assuming Dan Wilkinson retires, we can save another $2.35 Million. Fernando Bryant could also save us another $2 Million.

- Kitna will count for $2.375M and McCown will count $3M against this year's salary cap.

As far as how much cap space we have left after our recent moves, I have no freaking clue. Without knowing the signing bonuses, there is no way to figure out that information.

JS
03-26-2006, 07:02 PM
Cap updates:

- Cutting or trading Harrington can save us $5.4 Million.

- If we use the June 1st option on Harrington, we can save $8.5 Million this season, but he will cost $3.1 Million against the 2006 and 2007 cap.

- Assuming Dan Wilkinson retires, we can save another $2.35 Million. Fernando Bryant could also save us another $2 Million.

- Kitna will count for $2.375M and McCown will count $3M against this year's salary cap.

As far as how much cap space we have left after our recent moves, I have no freaking clue. Without knowing the signing bonuses, there is no way to figure out that information.

Thanks a lot for your work. You have done a great job. I wish the NFL had a better way of allowing the public to see where every team stands after each deal. I mean look at the Redskins they had little to no flexibility but were able to be creative and make a splash, but with the Lions we are cluless if we have a way signing a guy like Law, Woodson or Arrington or if the money is gone to make such a move. Look at the Hutchinson signing 7 years 49 million, 15 milion in signing bonus, so for all we know year 1 is the minimum plus his prorated bonus of 2. 1 million. I love the NFL but unlike the NBA I loathe the cap system, since I never know where the Lions stand.

Black Dynamite
03-26-2006, 07:08 PM
yea caps are hard to figure into what a team can do. the raiders were in cap hell supposedly via jon clayton after they signed Moss and woodson. but sure enough they figured out a way to be under by preseason along with signing several other players in the process.. clayton is wack

JS
03-26-2006, 07:08 PM
I don't get why we wouldn't let Bryant go then use the money we save there and some of the Joey money to make a run at Arrington or one of the CB.

Black Dynamite
03-26-2006, 07:12 PM
I don't get why we wouldn't let Bryant go then use the money we save there and some of the Joey money to make a run at Arrington or one of the CB.
arrington may not feel like a priority to the lions. they may be doing like Al Davis is doing and waiting until the final offseason cuts before making a move. who knows though.

JS
03-26-2006, 07:22 PM
I like Dirty but I am concerned with Boss and Teddy. Plus correct me if I am wrong but we don't have a MLB as of now? I know Arrington is an OLB so he doesn't help but does anyone know if Holmes will be back or what they plan on doing?

H1Man
03-26-2006, 07:27 PM
Holmes isn't expected to be back. And even if he were brought back, he wouldn't be a good fit in the Cover 2 system. But they are expecting to move Lehman over to MLB next season though.

JS
03-26-2006, 07:34 PM
Holmes isn't expected to be back. And even if he were brought back, he wouldn't be a good fit in the Cover 2 system. But they are expecting to move Lehman over to MLB next season though.

Thanks for the info. I thought the Lehman at MLB experiment failed the last time because Lehman lacked the ability tackle and fight off blockers. BobbY Carpenter and AJ Hawk for 1st and 2nd rd picks.

H1Man
04-23-2006, 10:39 PM
Lions | Team is $3.3 million under salary cap
Sun, 23 Apr 2006 16:13:58 -0700

The San Diego Union-Tribune reports the Detroit Lions are $3.3 million under the salary cap, according to a source with NFL contractual data.

JS
04-23-2006, 10:43 PM
Which in truth will be closer 10 million when they figure out the Harrington, Bryant and Rogers situation. As far as Bryant goes I heard on ESPN radio this weekend say that Millen would like to keep Bryant put want him to re-structure, and if he doesn't he could be cut depending on the draft.

Also they said Backus is still likley to be signed long term once they are able to without losing the Franchise tag. If he does get wrapped up long term I am sure that will reduce his cap number.

H1Man
04-23-2006, 11:01 PM
Which in truth will be closer 10 million when figure out the Harrington, Bryant and Rogers situation. As far as Bryant goes I heard on ESPN radio this weekend say that Millen would like to keep Bryant put want him to re-structure, and if he doesn't he could be cut depending on the draft.

Also they said Backus is still likley to be signed long term once ae able to withou losing the Franchise tag. If he does get wrapped up long term I am sure that will reduce his cap number.

I highly doubt that Bryant is going to cut.

Based on what I read, cutting Bryant is going to cost us $4.7 Million against the cap. But keeping him under the current contract will only cost $3.2 Million. So I would assume that he is going to be back next season.

JS
04-23-2006, 11:11 PM
Todd McShay and JC didn't mention that.

H1 Did you see what Arrington's contract structure looked like?

I am pissed, I know Arrington wasn't a priority but the contract is cap friendly. Year 1 -3 it is 3.5 million per year with incentives. Only 8 million is signing bonuses.

H1Man
04-23-2006, 11:31 PM
It's a 7 year, $49 Million deal with a base salary of $3.7 Million and a signing bonus of $5.25 Million. With reachable incentives, Arrington can make upto $5 Million a year.

The "full value" of the contract is heavily based on incentives, so if Arrington doesn't produce on the field, he doesn't get paid a good portion of his contract. It could just as well turn into a 1 year, $9 Million deal if Arrington turns into a dissappointment.

That's an outstanding deal for the Giants.

Jethro34
04-24-2006, 03:32 PM
Arrington very clearly wanted to stay in the division to have 2 chances each year to hurt the Skins.