WTFDetroit.com

View Full Version : Mike Martz hired by the Lions as OC

JackTalkThai
02-08-2006, 05:31 PM
This is a shocker! I thought that once they cut ties last week that that was it. I wonder who made the concessions here?! I'm glad to see it get done though.

Marinelli
Henderson
Martz

I like the aggressiveness of that trio of coaches. [smilie=2thumbsup.g:

MOLA1
02-08-2006, 05:31 PM
[smilie=a.gif]

MIKE MARTZ TOOK THE JOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A friend of mine heard on it WDFN just now.

[smilie=fireworks.g: [smilie=djparty.gif]
[smilie=dance.gif] [smilie=clap.gif] [smilie=cheers.gif]
[smilie=bump.gif] [smilie=funnyguy2.g: [smilie=hammertime.:
[smilie=joeyballgam: [smilie=llama_banan:
[smilie=pleased.gif] [smilie=roywill.jpg] [smilie=soulpower.g:
[smilie=welldone.gi: [smilie=pancakes.gi: [smilie=toot.gif]

Gecko
02-08-2006, 05:34 PM
So this is real?

MOLA1
02-08-2006, 05:35 PM
[smilie=alpacacall.:

starman91
02-08-2006, 05:37 PM
http://www.detroitlions.com/document_display.cfm?document_id=443049

DrRay11
02-08-2006, 05:39 PM
YES!

Now... Go ahead, Joey, jump...

Glenn
02-08-2006, 05:41 PM
I guess we'll get to see how much of a "genius" this guy really is now.

Great hire. Weird process, but great result.

Moodini31
02-08-2006, 07:41 PM
First off, I FEEEEEEL IT! [smilie=yourock.gif]

If they hire Martz, it inflates Lions WR fantasy draft positions by 2 rounds.

And it will deflate Kevin Jones' value by about 2 rounds.

H1, how do you figure? Marshall Faulk's value under Martz was pretty high. I know Jones can't catch the ball the Faulk, but the cat can run.

Under Martz-
1999-253 car, 1381 yds, 7 TD, 87 rec, 1048 yds, 5 TD
2000-253 car, 1359 yds, 18 TD, 81 rec, 830 yds, 8 TD
2001-260 car, 1382 yds, 12 TD, 83 rec, 765 yds, 9 TD
(getting old now)
2002-212 car, 953 yds, 8 TD, 80 rec, 537 yds, 2 TD
2003-209 car, 818 yds, 10 TD, 45 rec, 290 yds, 1 TD
2004-195 car, 774 yds, 3 TD, 50 rec, 310 yds, 1 TD
(Steven Jackson)
2005-254 car, 1046 yds, 8 TD, 43 rec, 320 yds, 2 TD

I think Jones will put up big numbers and we won't be as frustrated with the offense next yeat because at least we'll be aggressive and will be running "cool" plays.

[smilie=groove.gif] Cornbread Alert [smilie=groove.gif]
This offense could be scary good if [smilie=joeyballgam: can perform slightly better than undrafted Ivy Leaguer, Ryan Fitzpatrick.

Oh......wait.....I forgot about the offensive line. [smilie=damn.gif]

detroitsportscity
02-08-2006, 08:54 PM
This offense could be scary good if [smilie=joeyballgam: can perform slightly better than undrafted Ivy Leaguer, Ryan Fitzpatrick.

We can save about 8 mil by cutting [smilie=joeyballgam: so I think he's gone. So forget about that.

But yeah, there might be a small drop off from Orlando Pace to Jeff Backus.

UncleCliffy
02-08-2006, 10:59 PM
LOL@Martz. Next year is going to be a clash of egos. I can't wait when we lose 5 in a row and the fingers start get pointed ever. Roddy and Mikey will be going at each other on the sideline .

the wrath of diddy
02-08-2006, 11:00 PM
At this point we still have Joey and we still have a shit O-line. Martz won't make a damn bit of difference.

flipscrackers
02-08-2006, 11:01 PM
As much as I want to be excited about the hire, I'm hoping it works out better than the process in hiring him worked out. That was just weird.

Anthony
02-08-2006, 11:06 PM
Eh, if there is one thing I learned from the Lions, its dont get to excited. And I wont. Like Diddy said, we still have one of the worst o lines, and Joey. I still tink joey can be decent in a different offense.

(i wish MM would have gone to oakland)

flipscrackers
02-08-2006, 11:11 PM
No way Martz and Al Davis would be able to coexist an entire season in Oakland.

H1Man
02-08-2006, 11:34 PM
I wouldn't be so quick to rule out the possibility that this is just a ploy to get more money/attention from Martz. Given his ego, he probably just wants to hear his name in the media during the SB week.

This scenario makes a lot more sense now, doesn't it?

H1Man
02-08-2006, 11:57 PM
First off, I FEEEEEEL IT! [smilie=yourock.gif]

If they hire Martz, it inflates Lions WR fantasy draft positions by 2 rounds.

And it will deflate Kevin Jones' value by about 2 rounds.

H1, how do you figure? Marshall Faulk's value under Martz was pretty high. I know Jones can't catch the ball the Faulk, but the cat can run.
Forget about the numbers.

The bigger question is will he be able to handle a heavy workload and I am not sure he can.

I know it's only been 2 seasons but he hasn't been healthy for an extended period of time yet. Even in the games that he played, he wasn't always 100% healthy.

Also keep in mind that in college, he was an elusive speedster but he turned himself into more of an powerback in the pros. I think that contributed a lot to his injury issues.

As far as Martz goes, he isn't exactly known as a coach that favors the run. When a couple of running plays stall, he is known to give up on the run. Just look at the stats you posted, Faulk never has had more than 260 carries in a year.

The Irony
02-09-2006, 01:11 AM
[smilie=alpacacall.:
*looks @ sig*

he has some short arms

H1Man
02-09-2006, 03:31 AM
The Lion's coaching staff, as it stands right now:

Head Coach - Rod Marinelli

Offensive Coordinator - Mike Martz
General Offensive Assistant - Shawn Jefferson
Offensive Line Coach - Larry Beightol
Wide Receivers Coach - Kippy Brown
Running Backs Coach - Wilbert Montogomery
Quarterbacks Coach - Mike Martz
Tight Ends Coach - Pat Carter
Offensive Quality Control - Adam Gase

Defensive Coordinator - Donnie Henderson
General Defensive Assistant -
Defensive Line Coach - Joe Cullen
Linebackers Coach - Phil Snow
Defensive Backs Coach -
Defensive Quality Control - Don Clemons

Special Teams Coordinator - Chuck Priefer
Assistant Special Teams Coach - Stan Kwan

Strength & Conditioning Coach - Jason Arapoff & Malcolm Blacken

WTFchris
02-09-2006, 09:29 AM

The bigger question is will he be able to handle a heavy workload and I am not sure he can.

I know it's only been 2 seasons but he hasn't been healthy for an extended period of time yet. Even in the games that he played, he wasn't always 100% healthy.

Also keep in mind that in college, he was an elusive speedster but he turned himself into more of an powerback in the pros. I think that contributed a lot to his injury issues.

As far as Martz goes, he isn't exactly known as a coach that favors the run. When a couple of running plays stall, he is known to give up on the run. Just look at the stats you posted, Faulk never has had more than 260 carries in a year.

That seems like a good combination to me. We have a very talented RB that isn't a workhorse like Eddie George and a coach that likes to use multiple WR sets when we have 3 first round WR's. Seems like a good match to me. The real question is whether Joey can succeed in his offense. And we won't cut him either BTW. Who will replace him? The FA QB's suck. Unless we draft Cutler (hope not), or trade for Schaub, Joey WILL be back.

MoTown
02-09-2006, 11:24 AM
This seems awfully familiar. Weren't we getting extremely excited about Mariucci getting hired because he has done so much with other quarterbacks? "Farve, Young, Garcia... he'll make Harrington good!!"

I'll wait until October to heat up the cornbread.

This is however, the best the Lions could have done, so I applaud them for that. Even though the Lions love potential without results.....

Jethro34
02-09-2006, 11:39 AM
Damn. This is difficult. I told myself I wouldn't get caught up in the hype machine this offseason. So far, I'm pretty hyped about the coaches and the potential. The draft will either help me get over that (example - we draft offensive skill positions AGAIN) or just increase the hype (example - we get some stunnas on the O-Line and on defense). What's the cure?

MoTown
02-09-2006, 11:55 AM
Damn. This is difficult. I told myself I wouldn't get caught up in the hype machine this offseason. So far, I'm pretty hyped about the coaches and the potential. The draft will either help me get over that (example - we draft offensive skill positions AGAIN) or just increase the hype (example - we get some stunnas on the O-Line and on defense). What's the cure?

The cure? Here ya go:

Lions records under Matt Millen:
2-14
3-13
5-11
6-10
5-11

Better yet, Jeth?

Matt
02-09-2006, 12:00 PM
sounds like a good hire based on martz's history with offense. as a casual lion's fan who's trying to get into them more, i hope they are better off.

Jethro34
02-09-2006, 12:02 PM

The cure? Here ya go:

Lions records under Matt Millen:
2-14
3-13
5-11
6-10
5-11

Better yet, Jeth?

Thank you. I think my fever is down now and I'm feeling a bit my hydrated.

Fool
02-09-2006, 12:13 PM
This signing is brought to you by Millen's love of the letters "M" and "M". The people involved tried hard to seperate a man from his love but as always, love triumphed over all.

Oh yeah, and whats the over/under on games before Martz is the head coach? 16?

Varsity
02-09-2006, 12:42 PM

That seems like a good combination to me. We have a very talented RB that isn't a workhorse like Eddie George and a coach that likes to use multiple WR sets when we have 3 first round WR's. Seems like a good match to me. The real question is whether Joey can succeed in his offense. And we won't cut him either BTW. Who will replace him? The FA QB's suck. Unless we draft Cutler (hope not), or trade for Schaub, Joey WILL be back.

And to take it further, I think Joey will be back regardless of drafting Cutler or getting Schaub, in both scenarios, we'd still need a back up and I doubt they'll find a better guy willing to be a back up than Joey.

H1Man
02-09-2006, 02:30 PM

Intresting way to look at it.

And to take it further, I think Joey will be back regardless of drafting Cutler or getting Schaub, in both scenarios, we'd still need a back up and I doubt they'll find a better guy willing to be a back up than Joey.

I agree that Joey needs to be back, but only on the condition that they restructure his contract. He is due an 8 million dollar roster bonus with his present contract.

H1Man
02-09-2006, 02:36 PM
This seems awfully familiar. Weren't we getting extremely excited about Mariucci getting hired because he has done so much with other quarterbacks? "Farve, Young, Garcia... he'll make Harrington good!!"

I'll wait until October to heat up the cornbread.

One thing in Martz's favor is the fact that he developed guys like Kurt Warner, Trent Green and Marc Bulger (pocket passers) instead of Young, Garcia and Farve (scramblers).

WTFchris
02-09-2006, 02:54 PM
Mooch also had west coast players to work with when he was winning. He didn't have that here. He used a system that wouldn't work here, which is ultimately Millen's fault I guess.

I think Martz will design an offense to fit us. Even if he uses his old Ram offense, it's closer to our personnel than the WCO. We have big and quick WR's (Mike is not quick though), a versitile RB (who needs to be a better pass catcher), a TE that can catch a lot of passes. We aren't built to be a power running team. We should be throwing downfield a lot, and running Jones on isolation/draw plays when the defense is falling back to stop the pass.

I'm not saying we can be the Rams offense, but I think we have the personnel to do it (assuming we shore up the OL this offseason). It's just a question of whether Martz can get Joey, Chuck, Kevin, Roy and Mike to excell in it.

Jethro34
02-09-2006, 04:10 PM
First of all, Mooch gets WWWWAAAAAYYYYYYY too much credit for developing Steve Young.

Next, whatever the over/under is that Fool is predicting, I'm taking the way over. No chance he ever becomes the HC here.

WTFchris
02-09-2006, 04:13 PM
^never here. Too undisciplined for our team. I say the over/under is 2 seasons. With all the jobs changed this year, I doubt there are more than a few teams that fire their coach next year. I think Martz leaves after 2 years.

Unibomber
02-09-2006, 06:48 PM

Fitzpatrick was draft choice #250 in the seventh round. He was actually picked.

St. Louis always had a decent-to-good offense under Martz. Let's see him now, with all this talent.

'Tis a good day to be a Lions fan.

H1Man
02-10-2006, 05:44 PM
I am curious to see how the Martz and Henderson will work with Marinelli.

Marinelli said that he wants to have a power running game whereas Martz is all about using the pass to set up the run. And on defense, Marinelli mentioned that he wants to use a Cover 2 D but Henderson is a blitz-happy madman. It will be interesting, to say the least, how the different philosphies will mesh.

Jethro34
02-11-2006, 09:32 AM
No matter how it works out, the nice thing is that we have coaches with different ideas. To me, that means if one thing isn't working at all in practice situations early, there's a possibility they might mix it up a bit. That's more than what we've had for a long time. In fact, I love that Marinelli was willing to hire guys with different philosophies. It tells me that he has an open mind and doesn't necessarily think his own way of doing things is always the only way. That's very non-Mooch.

H1Man
02-17-2006, 06:09 PM
Unstickied.

H1Man
02-17-2006, 06:41 PM
The Lion's coaching staff, as it stands right now:

Head Coach - Rod Marinelli

Offensive Coordinator - Mike Martz
General Offensive Assistant - Shawn Jefferson
Offensive Line Coach - Larry Beightol
Assistant Offensive Line Coach - Mike Barry
Wide Receivers Coach - Kippy Brown
Running Backs Coach - Wilbert Montogomery
Quarterbacks Coach - Mike Martz
Tight Ends Coach - Pat Carter
Offensive Quality Control - Adam Gase

Defensive Coordinator - Donnie Henderson
General Defensive Assistant - Fred Reed
Defensive Line Coach - Joe Cullen
Linebackers Coach - Phil Snow
Defensive Backs Coach - Clayton Lopez
Defensive Quality Control - Don Clemons

Special Teams Coordinator - Chuck Priefer
Assistant Special Teams Coach - Stan Kwan

Strength & Conditioning Coach - Jason Arapoff & Malcolm Blacken

3 more coaches added to the Lions coaching staff.

luniz
02-20-2006, 10:11 PM
Two offensive line coaches..they'll probably need that many.