WTFDetroit.com

View Full Version : Joe Montana/Terry Bradshaw controversy

Glenn
02-06-2006, 11:37 AM
The national sports talks hows are buzzing with this one.

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/chronicle/archive/2006/02/06/SPG9QH3GD91.DTL

3-time MVP Montana turns down star-studded get-together

Ira Miller, Chronicle Staff Writer
Monday, February 6, 2006

Detroit -- Joe Montana, the only three-time Super Bowl Most Valuable Player, was one of only three Super Bowl MVPs who turned down the NFL's invitation to take part in pregame ceremonies for Super Bowl XL.

Montana also declined the league's invitation for a news conference with all the MVPs after Commissioner Paul Tagliabue's Friday news conference.

"We were disappointed we weren't able to work it out with him," said Greg Aiello, the NFL's vice president of public relations.

The former MVPs were guaranteed $1,000 for incidental expenses while in Detroit. The NFL also provided each former Super Bowl MVP with two first-class airplane tickets, a hotel room, a Cadillac for the weekend, two tickets to the game, two tickets to the Friday night commissioner's party, two tickets to a Saturday night party and two tickets to a Sunday tailgate party. There also were opportunities for paid appearances arranged by the NFL.

Two (reporter's typo fixed --Glenn) sources close to the league said Montana refused to attend over money. One of the sources said Montana asked for a guarantee of at least $100,000 for appearances if he came here, and the league said it would not make that guarantee. Tom Brady, who has won the Super Bowl MVP award twice, handled the coin toss to start the game, making him the first active player to perform that chore.

MVPs representing 32 of the 39 previous Super Bowls were on hand. Besides the 49ers' Montana, the only ones missing were Pittsburgh's Terry Bradshaw (a two-time MVP), Jake Scott (a Miami defensive back who was MVP in SB VII) and the late Harvey Martin (a Dallas defensive lineman who was co-MVP in SB XII). The issue with Bradshaw also reportedly was money; Scott is on vacation in Australia.

Black Dynamite
02-06-2006, 10:10 PM
its their perogative IMO. but too bad for them.

D's Nuts
02-06-2006, 10:10 PM
if this is true, then i am embarassed for them. Joe Montana is a fricking model citizen for the NFL and for him to pull something like this is deplorable. I can understand about the guy being in Austrailia and Bradshaw wanting to be with his family is a pretty weak excuse to.

Black Dynamite
02-06-2006, 10:23 PM
terry bradshaw is a bitch. a;ways has been. sorry glenn but i've always seen him as a lucky douche who should never see the hall of fame.

D's Nuts
02-07-2006, 12:07 AM
Bradshaw was on the Tonight Show tonight. he said he doesnt go to superbowls unless Fox is doing them. he also said that he called Rooney (owner of the steelers) and got clearance from him that it would be ok or something. also, he doesnt like crowds yet hes on stage in front of like 300 people.

seriousyl, what a moron.

ojay
02-07-2006, 01:31 AM
Heard Montana would of rathered watched his son's basketball game or something of the like.

I don't see the big deal at all.

Koolaid
02-07-2006, 03:43 AM
I don't see the big deal with wanting to get paid.

The NFL already is allowed to use the player's name to endorse their product whenever they want. If they want more public endorsements by ex-employees of their company they should definitely shell out more cash, it really goes without saying.

Think about an old employer calling you up and asking you to just stop by because the customers like you. Nevermind that you're retired and they aren't promising a paycheck, would you do it?