WTFDetroit.com

View Full Version : NFL Moves - Edge, Culpepper, Brees, Hutch

Glenn
02-03-2006, 08:03 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2317349

Report: James says his days with Colts are over

ESPN.com news services

Colts running back Edgerrin James told the Indianapolis Star he believes his playing days in Indianapolis are over.

"I don't see nothing happening,'' James told the newspaper Thursday night. "You can read between the lines and from the things I'm hearing, nothing's going to happen.

"And that's crazy, man. I'm part of the solution, I'm not part of the problem. Crazy, man."

James is one of four Colts starters that could become unrestricted free agents this year, along with receiver Reggie Wayne, linebacker David Thornton and defensive lineman Raheem Brock.

Colts general manager Bill Polian has said the team's offseason signing priorities are retaining Wayne and working out a contract extension for defensive end Dwight Freeney.

James has taken exception to his name rarely, if ever, being mentioned among those priorities and told the paper he'll see who wants his services when the free agent signing period opens March 3.

"Maybe I'll get to a situation where somebody appreciates me," James told the Star. "I'm going to always be a ballplayer. You know I've got game. You can't knock what I do.

"I'm a running back like Walter Payton, somebody who played a long time. I'm in that mold ... guys who played 12, 13 years and always were consistent."

James rushed for 1,506 yards and 13 touchdowns on 360 carries this past season and is headed to the Pro Bowl after his fourth 1,500-yard season.

The Colts were 3-13 the season before drafting James with the fourth overall pick in 1999. Indianapolis then posted a 13-3 record in James' rookie season, in which he won the first of two straight rushing titles.

"At the end of the day I can say I did my part," James told the paper. "I did what they asked me to do. At the end of the day the truth will be seen and everybody will see what kind of player I am and how important of a player I am.

"For somebody else to come in and do what I did, it would be tough. Look at the difference when I'm there and when I'm not there. That's all you got to do."

Since 1999, the Colts are 77-35 -- 70-26 when he plays, 7-9 when he doesn't, according to the Star.

The Colts had no comment on James' statements, the Star reported.

Fool
02-03-2006, 10:04 AM
LOL @ Pacer fans (they are all Colt fans too).

Darth Thanatos
02-03-2006, 10:08 AM
LOL @ Pacer fans (they are all Colt fans too).

Annoying and overused.

Anyhoo, I wonder what team will take him? I'm sure the Jaguars and 49ers are very interested in him.

WTFchris
02-03-2006, 12:40 PM
I acutally think it's smart for the Colts not to sign him for big money, but they should say they want him back all the same. He's a great back, but they can't afford him. They should go offer Houston a 2nd rounder for Dominik Davis (great hands) since they will be taking Bush anyway.

kdawg32086
02-03-2006, 09:56 PM
Looks like they're gonna get a running back in the first two rounds. Personally, I think they will get one of the top four running backs. If the Davis for Williamson trade between Houston and Minnesota goes down, look for Maroney to be available when the Colts pick in the first round.

H1Man
02-10-2006, 10:06 PM
James could be taking final snaps with Manning, Harrison

Like clockwork, Peyton Manning has been handing the football to Edgerrin James and firing tight spirals to Marvin Harrison during AFC drills this week.

Yet with James, the all-pro running back, eligible to become a free agent in March, it is possible that Sunday's Pro Bowl will mark the last time the Indianapolis Colts' so-called "Triplets" will play together as teammates.

"It'll never be the last game," James said this week. "We're always together. We're going to meet up at the Hall of Fame."

James, who was essentially kept off the market last offseason when the Colts used a "franchise tag" designation on him, insists he isn't sweating over his future. Manning and Harrison have long-term deals, but James has no such security. Using the franchise tag on him again would guarantee a one-year salary of more than $10 million.

But the Colts are also challenged to keep wide receiver Reggie Wayne as a free agent and tie up defensive end Dwight Freeney to a long-term contract.

"I'm not worried about it at all," James said. "I'll play somewhere."

Manning said, "I pray he's going to be back."

James, 27, was fourth in the NFL with 1,843 yards from scrimmage in 2005 and produced the fourth 1,500-yard rushing season (1,506) in his seven pro campaigns.

"Obviously, Edge is a great player. We'd miss him, but we understand," Freeney said. "It's hard to replace a guy like that. If it happens, it remains to be seen if his backup (Dominic Rhodes) can do the job."

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/2006-02-09-colts-pro-bowl_x.htm

Jethro34
02-11-2006, 09:35 AM
I think Chris has a great idea with Davis. He's a very good back whose terrible line and team has made him look mediocre (see Kevin Jones with a bit less speed and much better hands).

Most people would think the Colts should find a way to move up in the first round to get a guy, but I think Houston would be happy to take a 2nd rounder for Davis and it brings in a proven guy for the Colts instead of an unknown.

H1Man
03-12-2006, 07:07 PM
Edge To Cards

James' Arizona deal totals $11.5M in bonuses

Less than a week after coach Dennis Green declared that his team would not do any shopping in the higher-priced aisles of the free agent market, the Arizona Cardinals landed one of the highest-profile players in the entire pool on Sunday, signing former Indianapolis Colts star tailback Edgerrin James.

In terms of productivity and star quality, they don't get much bigger than James, a four-time Pro Bowl performer, in free agency. And in terms of compensation, contracts for tailbacks don't get much bigger than the one James signed in culminating his weekend visit with Arizona officials and coaches.

ESPN.com has confirmed that the four-year contract is worth $30 million. James received an initial signing bonus of $7 million and will pocket a $4.5 million roster bonus on the seventh day of the 2006 league year, essentially the end of this week. The base salaries in the contract are $3.25 million (for 2006), $5.25 million (2007), $5 million (2008) and $5 million (2009).

"It's a great situation. All they really need is a back," James said at a news conference. "They've got an MVP quarterback [Kurt Warner], they've got two Pro Bowl receivers. They got a back and they're going to shore up the offensive line."

The deal is in keeping with the way the Cardinals prefer to structure contracts, in that it is not dramatically back-loaded, and includes base salaries that remain fairly flat over the term of the contract.

For the first two seasons of the contract, James will earn $20 million and will make $25 million over the first three seasons. By comparison, the eight-year, $62 million contract signed by Shaun Alexander with the Seattle Seahawks last week will pay the reigning league most valuable player $18.525 million in the first two seasons and $23 million for the first three years.

Obviously, the contract, negotiated by agent Drew Rosenhaus over the last two days, makes James one of the highest paid tailbacks in league history. The 27-year-old James played the 2005 season with the Colts under the one-year qualifying offer for a franchise tailback. Indianapolis officials had made it clear they could not afford to bring James back for another season, and the Colts likely will look to the draft for a replacement.

With plenty of cap room, the Cardinals aggressively pursued James from the Saturday outset of the free agent signing period. They flew him, along with several other free agent targets, into Phoenix on Saturday and negotiated hard into Sunday afternoon before closing the deal. It is not known how many other suitors James attracted, but it's unlikely any of them would have topped the Cardinals' offer.

Tentative stops had been scheduled with other teams Rosenhaus wouldn't identify.

"But this was a no-brainer," the agent said. "It was the first stop and the last stop because it was the best stop."

Securing James, who played the first seven years of his career with the Colts, should immediately upgrade an Arizona running game that for years has ranked among the NFL's least productive.

In fact, the Cardinals ranked last in the NFL in rushing in 2005, averaging just 71.1 yards per outing. The team's leading rusher, Marcel Shipp, had only 451 yards. Second-round draft pick J.J. Arrington, who many felt would be an immediate star in the NFL, rushed for just 370 yards and did not run very hard after initial contact, even some teammates conceded.

"OK it's a risk," James admitted. "But hey, I'm a poker player. You can take it to the river. I'm not scared to make a change. I'm not scared to go out on a limb and try something different."

But last season was merely a continuation of a long stretch of poor rushing performances for Arizona, which has not had a 1,000-yard rusher since Adrian Murrell in 1998. Since 1990, the Cardinals had had just three 1,000-yard rushers. James, by comparison, has five 1,000-yard seasons in seven years and four years of 1,500-plus yards. Not since 2002 has Arizona ranked among the top half of the NFL teams in rushing offense. Since 1990, the Cardinals' average ranking has been No. 24, and 10 times in that period Arizona has statistically rated 25th or lower.

James should help solve that longtime deficiency, but there is some risk for him, too, however, since he will be running behind a suspect offensive line. The Cardinals on Saturday signed young guard Milford Brown of the Houston Texans, but he has never started a full season. Arizona used 11 different starters on the line in 2005 and six different starting combinations, and the unit is not only in need of an upgrade but also of more toughness.

Still, the big investment in James is a gamble the Cardinals almost certainly had to take if their offense is to improve in 2006. Arizona has one of the most potent passing attacks in the league, with a pair of excellent young wide receivers in Anquan Boldin and Larry Fitzgerald, but their offense sorely needs more balance. The team recently re-signed quarterback Kurt Warner to a contract extension but, at age 34, the two-time NFL most valuable player definitely requires more insulation, and James should offer that.

Not only is James a superb rusher, but he is also an accomplished receiver, too. And one of the strongest elements of his game, although often overlooked, is his terrific ability to pass protect. In the Indianapolis offense, James was often called on to pick up the odd man on the pass rush.

James has carried 2,188 times for 9,226 yards and 64 touchdowns and is the leading rusher in Colts history. He also has 356 receptions for 2,839 yards and 11 touchdowns.

"I'm happy for him," Colts coach Tony Dungy told The Associated Press in Indianapolis, where he was watching the Big Ten championship game. "He was fantastic for us the time we were here, we wish we could have kept him but you can't keep everyone."
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2365467

Jethro34
03-12-2006, 08:40 PM
Arizona might actually be fun to watch next season. While Warner isn't worth anything long term, if he can sling the ball around the field one more season with Edge out of the backfield and Boldin and Fitz continuing to do their thing, I'll watch those games for sure.

DennyMcLain
03-13-2006, 11:06 AM
James might get folks into buying season tickets for this team. Of course, the team is owned by the Donald Sterling of football, so we'll see how far this goes.

Jethro34
03-13-2006, 11:56 AM
James might get folks into buying season tickets for this team. Of course, the team is owned by the Donald Sterling of football, so we'll see how far this goes.

But even the Clips will make the playoffs this year. They look to be solid for the next 3 years or so. Even a tight-ass squirrel finds a nut once in a while.

WTFchris
03-14-2006, 02:34 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2368304

Early in his career, there were questions about Drew Brees having a slow release.

That wasn't the case Tuesday when he pulled the trigger on a six-year, $60 million deal with the New Orleans Saints that included a $10 million signing bonus.

Brees' decision came within seconds of the Dolphins dropping out of the bidding when they traded a second-round choice for Daunte Culpepper. All along, the Saints had more money and more guarantees on the table for Brees and wanted to use his name as the marquee for ticket sales, sales that have been hot because of the Saints' return to New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina.

Even though the Saints will be looking at Matt Leinart in the draft, they have Brees as their starting quarterback. That puts the Saints in the position to possible trade down from the No. 2 spot and take defensive end Mario Williams or simply take the North Carolina State defensive end.

Brees comes to New Orleans with high recommendations. Cowboys coach Bill Parcells has always been a big fan of Brees and advised his former assistant, Sean Payton, to take Brees if he had the chance. Payton is the new coach of the Saints.

Brees rejected the Dolphins' idea of lowering his demands for guarantees because the Saints made a promise to his agent, Tom Condon. In the end, Brees didn't budge and he ended up going to the Saints.

WTFchris
03-14-2006, 02:35 PM
From another thread:

Minnesota: The Vikings signed All-Pro Steve Hutchinson (Michigan) to the richest offer sheet for a guard in NFL history. The Vikings offered Hutchinson a seven-year deal worth $49 million, with $16 million in guaranteed money, a person close to the negotiations told the Associated Press. Seattle has a week to match the deal or lose him to the Vikings without compensation.

Darth Thanatos
03-14-2006, 02:41 PM
Daunte is now a Dolphin. They're trading a 2nd round pick to get him.

LOL@Dolphins

Didn't they trade a 2nd rounder to the Eagles for A.J Feely a few years ago?

WTFchris
03-14-2006, 02:58 PM
Yeah. That was stupid. Feeley wasn't worth it. But he'll be counted on now to fill in until Dante is healthy.

Black Dynamite
03-14-2006, 04:18 PM
With all the moves for qb's being made. NO will pass on picking leinhart you'd think. Dropping him where? Titans maybe? And where does cutler go(the best qb in the draft IMO)?

WTFchris
03-14-2006, 04:49 PM
With all the moves for qb's being made. NO will pass on picking leinhart you'd think. Dropping him where? Titans maybe? And where does cutler go(the best qb in the draft IMO)?

Supposing the Titans took a QB, the Jets will also take one, and Cutler would probably go to Oakland. I'm betting someone would try and trade down from the 5-7 range with Minny though hoping to get the extra second rounder they got for Culpepper.

H1Man
03-15-2006, 01:46 AM
All-Pro Shields should retire a Chief with new deal

Right guard Will Shields, an 11-time All-Pro, has agreed to a four-year contract that will ensure his career ends with the Kansas City Chiefs.

The 34-year-old Shields has started 207 games for the Chiefs, who drafted him in the third round out of Nebraska in 1993.

Shields contemplated retirement for over a year because of chronic back pain. The team had been working on a reworked deal that would make his contract more cap-friendly, but negotiations were slowed by uncertainty over the collective bargaining agreement.

Agent Joe Linta said the reworked deal would let Shields retire after this coming season without forcing him to pay back part of his bonus.

Shields is one of the Chiefs' most honored players and has been active in charitable affairs in the community. He also helped anchor an offensive line which has paved the way for one of the NFL's most productive offenses the past five seasons.

Shields was due a salary in 2006 of $5.1 million.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2368133

Not much of a suprise here although I was hoping that he would get cut so that we could try to sign him.

Black Dynamite
03-15-2006, 09:19 AM

Supposing the Titans took a QB, the Jets will also take one, and Cutler would probably go to Oakland. I'm betting someone would try and trade down from the 5-7 range with Minny though hoping to get the extra second rounder they got for Culpepper.
Well the rumor is either they sign Mcown or draft a QB. The only guy worth drafting for their offense is Cutler IMO. But more so than that they have a 1st round level QB already on their roster in Andrew Walter(who was a projected lottery pick before his shoulder surgery in college). A couple idiotic wonderlic dumb fans want us to pick up Young. But that would be the dumbest pick ever for what we're trying to do with the vertical game.

FillyCheezeSteak
03-15-2006, 09:29 AM
I've got a feeling that unless the Jets pull of the Abraham for Schaub deal (would be great for both teams) they will be trading up from #4 to #2 and the draft will look like this.........

1. Bush
2. Leinart (Jets)
3. Vince
4. D'Brickshaw (N.O.)
5. A.J. Hawk
6. Cutler to the Raiders
7. Lions trade up to get Mario Williams

Black Dynamite
03-15-2006, 09:47 AM
I've got a feeling that unless the Jets pull of the Abraham for Schaub deal (would be great for both teams) they will be trading up from #4 to #2 and the draft will look like this.........

1. Bush
2. Leinart (Jets)
3. Vince
4. D'Brickshaw (N.O.)
5. A.J. Hawk
6. Cutler to the Raiders
You're missing the Mcown factor. Williams is a raider IMO or Hawk if the Raiders sign Mcown.

FillyCheezeSteak
03-15-2006, 10:09 AM
Josh McCown will not be a starting quarterback in this league unless someone is extremely desperate, I'd take Joey over McCown any day of the week.

Black Dynamite
03-15-2006, 10:13 AM
Josh McCown will not be a starting quarterback in this league unless someone is extremely desperate, I'd take Joey over McCown any day of the week.
Hey, he played pretty damn good last season. And dont spit no poison on the kid. He might be a raider starter damnit [smilie=angry.gif] ...Though I'd prefer Andrew Walter at this point.

FillyCheezeSteak
03-15-2006, 10:41 AM
There is no way that you can tell me you'd be happy to have either Andrew Walter or Josh McCown throwing the ball deep to Randy Moss and Jerry Porter................just not cool at all.

Black Dynamite
03-15-2006, 10:47 AM
There is no way that you can tell me you'd be happy to have either Andrew Walter or Josh McCown throwing the ball deep to Randy Moss and Jerry Porter................just not cool at all.
Actually i'd love to see Andrew walter get a shot. He's 6ft 6in and looked absolutely amazing in preseason last year. Outside of whether his injury's healed, i wouldnt worry too much. He has a deep ball to be wreckoned with and is a pocket qb whose capable of throwing outside the pocket, on the run, side arm, and on his back foot all with accuracy.

So no i wouldnt be mad about it at all. I would be mad about vince young starting for us. But Walter is built for the offense and built to get the ball to Moss easy.

H1Man
03-15-2006, 10:55 AM
Actually i'd love to see Andrew walter get a shot. He's 6ft 6in and looked absolutely amazing in preseason last year. Outside of whether his injury's healed, i wouldnt worry too much. He has a deep ball to be wreckoned with and is a pocket qb whose capable of throwing outside the pocket, on the run, side arm, and on his back foot all with accuracy.

So no i wouldnt be mad about it at all. I would be mad about vince young starting for us. But Walter is built for the offense and built to get the ball to Moss easy.

If that were all true, he would've been a #1 pick even with his injury.

But aside from that, I hope that the Raiders draft Young, if he is available. Some team has to reach to make one of the other guys fall to the Lions at #9.

WTFchris
03-15-2006, 11:01 AM

1. Bush
2. Leinart (Jets)
3. Vince
4. D'Brickshaw (N.O.)
5. A.J. Hawk
6. Cutler to the Raiders

I agree with this except us trading up. With the resigning of Edwards, we won't be looking at DE anymore. The only reason to trade up would be for Brick or Hawk. I think we stand pat and take Huff, but I'd like to see us move down to grab a OT later (McNiel) and get an extra pick to grab Giles/Mangold/another OL.

Black Dynamite
03-15-2006, 11:02 AM

If that were all true, he would've been a #1 pick even with his injury.

But aside from that, I hope that the Raiders draft Young, if he is available. Some team has to reach to make one of the other guys fall to the Lions at #9.
well fuck the lions and your hopes at raider futility in drafting that joke of a qb young. [smilie=angry.gif] ...Walter>>Young IMO.

And i take you haven't seen Walter play. Dude can light it up man. And yes its true he's built for the offense, thats why Davis drafted him. Another reason i think Davis will have lost his mind drafting Vince Young.

But either way the Raiders are notorious for not starting rookies so i highly doubt we get young with al davis already expressing interest in Walter(he got into a verbal match with Norv turner for not putting him in when the season was basically over mathmatically). Too bad for you guys unless we pick Huff. [smilie=angel.gif]

WTFchris
03-15-2006, 02:02 PM
I am unstickying this since M1 made a better thread on it.

H1Man
03-15-2006, 02:35 PM
I am unstickying this since H1 made a better thread on it.

Fixed it for ya. [smilie=thumbsup.gi: