WTFDetroit.com

View Full Version : WTF Redskins??!!??

D's Nuts
01-30-2006, 04:57 PM
SO apparently their coaching payroll is going to be as high as their player payroll. Should we petition Snyder to just give us some money? I could become the leagues first paid fan..... Seriously....

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2311954

WTFchris
01-31-2006, 09:36 AM
I guess Snyder has money to blow. Too bad his players are idtiots (see Arrington and Taylor).

Glenn
01-31-2006, 09:37 AM
If they end up cutting LaVar Arrington, as is speculated, the Lions would be fools to not talk to him.

WTFchris
01-31-2006, 09:45 AM
I forget exactly what his problem is, could you refresh my memory? It was contract based wasn't it?

Cause I'm wondering if a hard nosed combination of Marinelli/Henderson could get him to play to his potential.

BigggChris04
01-31-2006, 11:35 AM
If they end up cutting LaVar Arrington, as is speculated, the Lions would be fools to not talk to him.
I love Lavar, but I dont wanna bring him to detroit, he doesnt deserve to be on an injury plague team, he's already hurt enough, so in that case he might die if he tries to play here
All 4 of our starting LBs were on IR this year,

WTFchris
01-31-2006, 11:48 AM
I think we'll get our third LB in the draft anyway (2nd/3rd round) to team with Lehman and Bailey.

BigggChris04
01-31-2006, 11:50 AM
Whats gonna happen with holmes
That guy was a beast before he died this season

WTFchris
01-31-2006, 11:55 AM
I like Holmes, but he might not be that good in Marinelli's or Henderson's schemes. Both rely on speed more than being a solid positional guy. I'd be ok with Holmes if LB isn't the best player available in the draft...but I also wouldn't mind phasing him out as well.

DennyMcLain
03-13-2006, 11:08 AM
Adam Archuletta is in, as is Randel El and Brandon Lloyd.

Here goes Snyder again, trying to "buy" a winner.

But maybe this time will be different, with the old man at the clipboard.

Jethro34
03-13-2006, 11:50 AM
I've been meaning to talk about the Skins. Based on everything I've seen, they never did get below the cap in time. And yet here they are paying top dollar for guys like Randle-El and Archuleta, trading for guys like Lloyd. How the fuck are they doing it? They can't honestly be below the cap.

Varsity
03-13-2006, 12:12 PM
I've been meaning to talk about the Skins. Based on everything I've seen, they never did get below the cap in time. And yet here they are paying top dollar for guys like Randle-El and Archuleta, trading for guys like Lloyd. How the fuck are they doing it? They can't honestly be below the cap.

The cut 5 players and that took them to 7 mil or so under the cap, they've used that loot sign up Arch and Randle El.

Jethro34
03-14-2006, 08:33 AM
So now how did they come up with the money to sign Andre Carter too? He just got $30 million over the next 5 years from the Skins.

Black Dynamite
03-14-2006, 10:14 AM
daniel snyder much like jerry jones doesnt give a shit about the cap if he thinks he can get a super bowl team together. the redskins are setting themselves up to have the most pressure in the league on them. with all these moves, anything less than playing in the super bowl will get them bashed hard.

Train Wreck
03-15-2006, 01:38 AM
daniel snyder much like jerry jones doesnt give a shit about the cap if he thinks he can get a super bowl team together. the redskins are setting themselves up to have the most pressure in the league on them. with all these moves, anything less than playing in the super bowl will get them bashed hard.

It doesn't matter if he cares about the cap or not, he still has to be under it. I'm not sure how they do it but I imagine they'll be in cap hell in a couple of seasons...(Although I said that 2 years ago as well)

H1Man
03-15-2006, 02:17 PM
Gibbs: 'Skins aren't circumventing salary cap

Joe Gibbs defended the Washington Redskins' aggressive approach to free agency on Wednesday, dismissing any implication that the team is somehow circumventing the NFL's salary cap.

"The thing I want to emphasize is this: We haven't done one thing that anybody else can't do," the Redskins' Hall of Fame coach said following a news conference to introduce free agent signing Andre Carter. "We have certain rules in the league. Here's the cap, here's the numbers, here's what you can spend, so everybody in the league can do what we're doing, it's just that they choose not to, many of them."

Despite starting the month some $13 million over the $102 million cap that was set following negotiations for a new collective bargaining agreement, the Redskins have once again been one of March's busiest teams.

Since Saturday, they have traded for San Francisco receiver Brandon Lloyd and signed five unrestricted free agents: receiver Antwaan Randle El, safety Adam Archuleta, tight end Christian Fauria, backup quarterback Todd Collins and Carter. Randle El and Archuleta alone were given contracts with a combined $21.5 million in guaranteed money.

"Each team's a little different, how they want to build a team. ... Certainly Pittsburgh is a scheme that works, they won a Super Bowl," Gibbs said. "If you watch their team, there are a lot of draft choices, they're real conscious about that. It remains to be seen how we'll end up doing, but we've chosen to be more aggressive in free agency."

The Redskins put themselves under the cap by cutting five expendable players on the eve of free agency, and they also saved $4.4 million in the deal that made linebacker LaVar Arrington a free agent. Since then, they've been cutting cap dollars by renegotiating contracts with returning veterans, giving the players upfront bonuses that can be prorated for salary cap purposes.

Owner Dan Snyder's overspending in 2000 caused then-coach Marty Schottenheimer to make drastic cuts in 2001, but Snyder's strategy since then has been to map out a cap strategy using what Gibbs said were "three- to four-year spreadsheets." The goal is to shift cap money around in a coherent manner that keeps the team from being forced to part with players it wants to keep.

It hasn't worked perfectly - coveted linebacker Antonio Pierce left for the New York Giants last year - but Gibbs' free agency upgrades helped get the Redskins into the playoffs last year, and the overhaul continues. Only five projected 2006 starters were with the team before Gibbs arrived in January 2004.

The best free agent additions under Gibbs have been linebacker Marcus Washington, cornerback Shawn Springs, defensive tackle Cornelius Griffin and defensive end Phillip Daniels.

"People say, 'Why would you go get the free agents?"' Gibbs said. "Well, look at the guys we wouldn't have on our football team."

The Redskins are able to afford huge signing bonuses because Snyder's marketing savvy has helped make the team one of the most profitable in sports, but Gibbs downplayed the connection between Snyder's fortune and the team's free agency haul.

"The biggest misrepresentation there is that (it's because) Dan's got a lot of money. That's not it," Gibbs said. "We've got a rule. Believe me, if we had no rules, Dan would spend some money."
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5407036