WTFDetroit.com

View Full Version : OGT: Super Bowl XL, Steelers win 5th Championship

Glenn
01-23-2006, 10:21 AM
Official thread, y'all

D's Nuts
01-23-2006, 12:40 PM
As much as a Panthers/Steelers game would have excited me, I am glad Seattle is playing. Only for the reason that it will be easier for the Steelers to win.

I think both teams are evenly matched. As good as Seattle is on O, Pitt is that much better on D. This should be a close game and Im going to go Pitt 30, Seattle 24.

WTFchris
01-23-2006, 12:51 PM
If Big Ben plays like last game, the Seahawks are in real trouble. Ben looked like a LOT more than a servicable QB yesterday. Win one for the Bus!

Anthony
01-23-2006, 12:58 PM
Official thread, y'all

BEST

INTRO

EVER

!

D's Nuts
01-23-2006, 12:59 PM
the Steelers really are the cinderalla story here. #6 seed beats 1, 2, and 3 teams ON THE ROAD to get to the Superbowl? You gotta be kidding me.

I think Seattle played a pretty soft schedule in a pretty soft division. I thought throughout the whole playoffs that the only NFC team that had a chance was Carolina. Now that that theory is shot, AFC ALL THE WAY!

Wizzle
01-23-2006, 04:20 PM
MY PREDICTION FOR THE SUPER BOWL:

Boring- 27
Disintrested- 24

Don't know why, just not hyped for this matchup

Black Dynamite
01-23-2006, 04:41 PM
MY PREDICTION FOR THE SUPER BOWL:

Boring- 27
Disintrested- 24

Don't know why, just not hyped for this matchup
seahawks dont hype anyone up. the steelers are an ok filler. but it was predetermined the colts would be here. nevermind that idea. [smilie=arrgh.jpg]

DrRay11
01-23-2006, 05:30 PM
Go Steel.

I will definitely be sleeping in Monday after next.

Darth Thanatos
01-23-2006, 05:38 PM
This is the first Super Bowl I won't be watching.

Detroit got fucking jobbed.

H1Man
01-23-2006, 06:29 PM
the Steelers really are the cinderalla story here. #6 seed beats 1, 2, and 3 teams ON THE ROAD to get to the Superbowl? You gotta be kidding me.

I think Seattle played a pretty soft schedule in a pretty soft division. I thought throughout the whole playoffs that the only NFC team that had a chance was Carolina. Now that that theory is shot, AFC ALL THE WAY!

I don't think Steelers are the cinderalla story here. If it wasn't for Big Ben missing a couple games with injury, they would have been in the playoffs instead of a being a wildcard team.

Artermis
01-23-2006, 06:53 PM
Fuck Bettis he went to ND. I dont want to hear shit to win one because he is coming home.

He could have played at UM or MSU, so fuck him and go Hawks.

Art

Artis Gilmore
01-23-2006, 07:08 PM
This will be a boring ass SB.

Gecko
01-23-2006, 08:42 PM
Ok so the entire universe just discovered someone named Jerome Bettis.

It's things like this this make me start hating the things I really love.

I recall being an avid Wing fan from about 1987 till about the first cup run, then every Joe blow in the world started discovering we had a hockey team. When my father in law started to try to explain the Wings to me I knew it was time to move on. Call me a contrarian.

Well get ready for 24/7 coverage of Jerome Bettis. I happen to be going to my father-in laws for the SB. Should he happen to try to tell me anything about Bettis I will prompltly smash his big screen and leave.

Comrade
01-24-2006, 03:29 AM
Fuck Bettis he went to ND. I dont want to hear shit to win one because he is coming home.

He could have played at UM or MSU, so fuck him and go Hawks.

Art

Who gives a fuck where he went. He went to the place he liked best, not the place that would have made Artemis like him. You think the people in San Mateo hate Brady because he didn't go to Stanford or Cal? There is being a homer, then there is being a huge douche, then there is being Artermis.

And what would be a more exciting matchup? What constitutes "exciting" to you all? What makes the Panthers more exciting than the Hawks? I seriously want to know why. Personally, I like having the two best teams face off. That's excitement for me.

bangpow
01-24-2006, 05:32 PM
Wow. This thread made me realize how little people really care about football.

I mean, you have the Seahawks who are a pretty exciting team to watch. They have a young defense that's pretty fast and tough, and a very good offense. Shaun Alexander is a top 3 RB in the league and even though their WR's aren't all that "sexy", they are pretty damn productive. And, personally, I think Hasselhair is a good QB, too.

Then you have the Steelers. The kind of team that the people in Detroit wish they had. They are tough, gritty, fast, and they have the "going to work" mentality that the Pistons fans love so much about their home town Bball team.

Unfortunately, I find that the people that think this game is going to boring, really don't follow the NFL or the game of football very well.

SpartyNick
01-24-2006, 08:12 PM
Wow. This thread made me realize how little people really care about football.

Unfortunately, I find that the people that think this game is going to boring, really don't follow the NFL or the game of football very well.

I agree 100%, these two teams are playing at the top of their game right now and I expect a great match-up. I've loved watching Hasselback and Big Ben the last couple weeks. If you haven't appreciated their play then something is wrong with you.

And for those who have said fuck Jerome Bettis, it takes a lot more than going to ND to lose your Detroit card in my book. He's always talked well about the city and he's one of my favorite all-time RB's.

Moodini31
01-24-2006, 08:31 PM
Ok so the entire universe just discovered someone named Jerome Bettis.

Well get ready for 24/7 coverage of Jerome Bettis. I happen to be going to my father-in laws for the SB. Should he happen to try to tell me anything about Bettis I will prompltly smash his big screen and leave.

Agreed Gecko. I'm going to try to avoid SportsCenter as much as possible.

On another note, this is going to be the gayest Super Bowl ever. It's going to be hard not to turn on the 360 instead.

Unibomber
01-25-2006, 08:19 PM
This will be a boring ass SB.

Except that the entire West Coast will probably be tuned in, yeah.

The Seahawks going in is huge over here.

-NoQuarter-
01-26-2006, 03:37 AM
Hearing a bunch of Pistons fans bitching about a "Boring Superbowl" and how they won't watch it is pretty sickening.

Get pissed off at people complaining or saying that the Pistons vs. Spurs is a boring match-up and then coming with this weak shit?

I don't know how you could complain about the two best teams in any sport playing each other for a national title. Not enough "superstars" for ya? Not enough offense?

Gross.

If the Pistons sucked, half you guys would be cheering for the fuckin Heat.

Black Dynamite
01-26-2006, 09:31 AM
i can name a couple who'd jump ship.

Comrade
01-26-2006, 12:01 PM
Hearing a bunch of Pistons fans bitching about a "Boring Superbowl" and how they won't watch it is pretty sickening.

Get pissed off at people complaining or saying that the Pistons vs. Spurs is a boring match-up and then coming with this weak shit?

I don't know how you could complain about the two best teams in any sport playing each other for a national title. Not enough "superstars" for ya? Not enough offense?

Gross.

Amen. And most of these guys can't give a legitimate reason why they don't like this SB - that's what bothers me. We're Pistons fans, we should be loving this matchup if only because the media is telling us it's not 'sexy'. I'd love to have a team like the Steelers here, and I sure as hell wouldn't mind the Seahawks either.

Black Dynamite
01-26-2006, 12:08 PM
i think a couple of us are joking about the super bowl being boring. i think everyones gonna watch it and enjoy it.

you gotta remember some people are so used to bitching about the lions and tigers. that this time is rough for their addiction to misery. pistons arent doing much to complain about and the other teams are on break.

BigggChris04
01-26-2006, 12:32 PM
I want Pitt to win
I always hated Pitt, but I got alot of respect for them
the exact same way I felt for the Patroits during their run

Glenn
01-27-2006, 02:01 PM
Not that most of you care, but this is probably the longest I have ever gone without changing my avatar or my sig.

I ain't changing shit until after the game.

UncleCliffy
01-27-2006, 04:32 PM
I want Shittsburgh to get blown out by 50 pts.

I'm sick of the bus.

I'm sick of Big Ben.

I'm sick of seeing the bus's parents.

GO SEAHAWKS!

DrRay11
01-28-2006, 10:32 AM

Gross.

If the Pistons sucked, half you guys would be cheering for the fuckin Heat. [smilie=iagree.gif]

Train Wreck
01-29-2006, 07:27 PM
I want Shittsburgh to get blown out by 50 pts.

I'm sick of the bus.

I'm sick of Big Ben.

I'm sick of seeing the bus's parents.

GO SEAHAWKS!

Damn Cliffy, I've been agreeing with just about everything you post lately. I hate Denver and wanted the Steelers to destroy them last week. However, than I started thinking about it and the Super Bowl is much more enjoyable to watch when I dislike one of the teams participating in it.

It's hard to not like the Seahawks for me, they are fun to watch and seem good guys and all that stuff. I've always rooted on the Steelers and even have a Kordell Stewart jersey. (haha0

However, having Pittsburgh shoved down our throats this week along with the utter disrespect of Seattle has turned me against the Steelers.

BTW, did you guys know that Jerome's parents have been to just about every game since High School? I don't know if the media has reported that yet? [smilie=a.gif]

Artis Gilmore
01-29-2006, 09:36 PM
Pitt 27
Hawks 20

Joey Porter MVP

Mikey
01-29-2006, 10:08 PM
Damn Cliffy, I've been agreeing with just about everything you post lately.You know what? Me too. Cliffy has been on a roll lately.

Glenn
01-30-2006, 08:55 AM
GAME WEEK!!

Remember, if anybody has an extra ticket fall in their lap...

Matt
02-01-2006, 12:11 PM
the hotel i work parttime at is housing the wives and family of the Seahawks :)

Darth Thanatos
02-01-2006, 02:47 PM
You should file a lawsuit claiming one of the players Kobe'd you.

Glenn
02-01-2006, 03:46 PM
Shit's heating up...

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5298460

Porter peeved about 'guarantee'

Associated Press
Posted: 1 hour ago

PONTIAC, Mich. (AP) - Steelers linebacker Joey Porter minded his manners and said nothing derogatory about the Seahawks during his first two days at the Super Bowl. That changed Wednesday after Seattle tight end Jerramy Stevens effectively guaranteed a victory.

Porter said Stevens' remarks were all he needed to get him going for the Super Bowl.

"I've been asleep all week but now I got woke up," Porter said Wednesday. "I've got my first taste of blood and now I'm thirsty for more. Until now, it was 'Watch what I say,' 'I can't say this,' 'I can't say that,' 'Don't do anything silly,' but I'm ready now.

"You look for the guys that say something that aren't supposed to say nothing, and I feel like he definitely was out of pocket to say what he said," Porter said. "I'm going to make sure he owns up to those words."

What agitated Porter were Stevens' comments Tuesday about Steelers star Jerome Bettis' much-publicized return to his hometown of Detroit to try to win a Super Bowl in what likely is his final season.

"It's a heartwarming story and all that, but it will be a sad day when he leaves without that trophy," said Stevens, who said later he wasn't guaranteeing a victory but was only saying what he felt.

Stevens also said Porter will have a difficult time whenever he is matched up with Seahawks All-Pro tackle Walter Jones.

"He had a huge game in the AFC championship game coming off the edge on the blitz," Stevens said of Porter. "I don't think he is going to have such an easy day against Walt, though."

Porter said Stevens' remarks made it even easier to get himself ready to play in his first Super Bowl.

"He's too soft to say something like that," Porter said. "He's going to have the opportunity to back up his words. I'm going to have the opportunity to back up my words. So, it's something I'm looking forward to and I'm ready to get going."

Porter also called Stevens "a first-round bust who barely made some plays this season." He also said a player of Stevens' stature "has a lot of nerve" to say what he said about Bettis.

Porter's outburst was the latest in a series of strong or inflammatory comments by him during these NFL playoffs.

He riled up the Colts during the divisional round by saying they relied on tricks and wouldn't play smashmouth football, then accused the NFL officiating crew of cheating the Steelers during their 21-18 upset of the Colts.

Steelers coach Bill Cowher subsequently cautioned Porter and other players about making comments that opposing teams might use for motivation. He also called Porter's officiating comments "ridiculous," and Porter subsequently had little to say before Pittsburgh's 34-17 victory over Denver in the AFC championship game.

Steelers players also were cautioned before the Super Bowl about not saying anything that the Seahawks could use for motivation, but Porter didn't seem to care.

"When a guy says something who lines up in front of me on every play, I have to like that," Porter said. "He has to see me. There's no way he can hide from me. We have to meet - over and over and over. ... I'll remind him every time I put him on his back."

Porter also said he was going to remind his Steelers teammates repeatedly what was said.

"It was good to hear it, I needed that," Porter said. "He spoke out of turn right there."

And what might Cowher think of his comments?

"I do what I have do to get myself going and he likes to see me going," Porter said. "He knows once I get going, he knows what kind of player he's going to get. That's going to make me play at a high level."

The NFL did not fine Porter for his officiating comments. But the league issued a statement that one of the calls Porter was upset about in the Colts' game - an apparent interception by Steelers safety Troy Polamalu - was incorrectly overturned upon review.

UncleCliffy
02-01-2006, 09:07 PM
Better have that towel ready GLENN because you are going to need it to wipe away your tears when MY SEAHAWKS GO INTO FORD FIELD AND DESTROY THE SHITTSBURGH FEELERS.

Glenn
02-02-2006, 08:30 AM
I've had my towel since I was about 10 years old. It's a little faded and ratty compared to the new ones, but it works for me.

I think people are being too quick to dismiss the Seahawks. You don't lead the league in scoring & sacks, second in ypg, get 15 wins and have the MVP if you are not a great team.

I think the game is a coin flip.

Black Dynamite
02-02-2006, 10:31 AM
the x factor is hassleback to me. if the steelers rattle him it'll be smooth sailing to the pavement. if they dont then he'll give them a slew of fits aong with s.alexander.

another thing is the rookie at middle LB for the peehawks. if pittsburgh can find a way to confuse him it'll lead to some serious probems for the peehawks. the steelers are probally the best blocking team from RB/FB/TE to the o-line combined(one of the reasons denver's corner blitzes didnt have a shot against them), and the peehawks defense has their work cut out for them.

Glenn
02-02-2006, 10:48 AM
I should amend my post to read that I think whatever team scores the first touchdown will eventually win.

The Steelers have been trying to strike early by throwing the ball and then they squeeze all the air out of the ball and run the clock out.

If the Seahawks get on the board first, I think they'll try the same thing with the MVP.

First TD is huge.

Glenn
02-03-2006, 08:01 AM
FUCK!!

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs05/news/story?id=2317103

Polamalu injures ankle in practice, listed as probable

By Len Pasquarelli
ESPN.com

DETROIT -- Strong safety Troy Polamalu, the catalyst of the Pittsburgh Steelers defense and a player who has emerged as one of the league's most versatile defenders, suffered an ankle injury during Thursday's practice and was forced to leave the session early.

The third-year veteran, who has been selected to the AFC Pro Bowl squad in each of the last two seasons, will be listed as "probable" on the Steelers' injury report. By definition, a "probable" listing on the report means that a player is 75 percent likely to participate in that week's game.

How the injury occurred is not yet known. Super Bowl practices are closed to the media, with the exception of one "pool" reporter. Polamalu told the pool reporter assigned to the Pittsburgh practice that he "tweaked" the ankle. The incident was not noted on an original practice report filed early in the evening, but it is believed the NFL was revising it.

Polamalu did appear on the official injury report as having missed at least a portion of the so-called "team," or 11-on-11, drills. Sources said that Polamalu began treatments for the ankle injury immediately after the practice. It is not known if he will participate in the Friday practice.

Losing their star strong safety, or perhaps even having him forced to play at less than 100 percent, would be a significant setback for the Steelers. Defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau designs many of his most exotic defensive gambits, both blitzes and coverages, around Polamalu and his unique skill set.

Polamalu had 100 tackles during the season, third most on the team, two interceptions, 11 passes defensed, one forced fumble and three recoveries. If possible, he has raised the level of his performance in the postseason, and has 19 tackles, one interception, three passes defensed and one-half sack.

Starting fullback Dan Kreider (knee) and reserve defensive lineman Travis Kirschke (groin), missed practice again on Thursday, and both remain "questionable" on the NFL injury report. Of the two, it is believed that Kreider, the lone fullback on the Pittsburgh roster, has the better chance of playing.

Darth Thanatos
02-03-2006, 11:42 AM
Joey Porter overreacts way too much. What did you want Jeremy Stevens to say?

"Bettis has had a great career and I hope the Steelers stomp us so he can go out on top."

He just likes stirring stuff up.

I like that.

Glenn
02-03-2006, 11:44 AM
Joey Porter overreacts way too much...He just likes stirring stuff up.

Sounds familiar.

I like that.

Yes, yes you do.

So Dubya is the Joey Porter of WTF?

Train Wreck
02-05-2006, 04:36 AM
Joey Porter overreacts way too much...He just likes stirring stuff up.

Sounds familiar.

I like that.

Yes, yes you do.

So Dubya is the Joey Porter of WTF?

Porter did overreact but if thats what he needs to do to get that extra oomph than so be it.

Seattle 27
Pitt 17

Book It

Cross
02-05-2006, 08:17 AM
Seattle 17
Pittsburgh 10

I stopped watching football but I always watch the Superbowl. I agree with Glenn, it all comes down to the first TD.

Anthony
02-05-2006, 01:56 PM
Pitt - 26
Sea - 17

Anyways. Go steelers!

UncleCliffy
02-05-2006, 02:09 PM
Anyways. Go stealers!

ROFL

Seahawks 27
Steelers 21

Anthony
02-05-2006, 02:15 PM
I dont know what you're talking about Cliff

b-diddy
02-05-2006, 04:37 PM
i put 50 on the hawks (getting 4). if i win, i'll make small wagers on nba games till its gone, or until i have :dr evil voice: one million dollars.

darkobetterthanmelo
02-05-2006, 05:08 PM
Late breaking news: Mike Holmgren requested security to go to the 50 yard line to make sure the two teams do not interact. He also asked for security in the tunnel when the teams run out. Is this the attitude you want coming into a game? The more physical team wins. Steelers in a blowout.

Unibomber
02-05-2006, 05:20 PM
i put 50 on the hawks (getting 4). if i win, i'll make small wagers on nba games till its gone, or until i have :dr evil voice: one million dollars.

Good idea.

Seahawks 105
Steelers 87

Glenn
02-05-2006, 08:35 PM
14-3

Oh hells yeah

I'm hoping my "1st team to score a TD, wins" prediction holds true.

Black Dynamite
02-05-2006, 08:42 PM
I give parker credit. he's the fastest guy on the field hands down.

DennyMcLain
02-05-2006, 10:06 PM
Did I miss something, or did Holmgren NOT come out to congratulate Cowher?

Looked like Bill was looking for him.

Guess I'll find out after the break...if Madden shuts up for a second.

Black Dynamite
02-05-2006, 10:11 PM
congrats glenn. your second team won their first trophy.

Anthony
02-05-2006, 10:12 PM
No, he didnt. My cousion said the same thing. What an asshole. And Madden is the best!

Yes!

Black Dynamite
02-05-2006, 10:13 PM

happens alot lately. i read this hilarious brady bashing thread because he didnt shake hands after losses. went on for like quite a few pages.

let the walrus moan and cry if he wants. he made some of the worst play calls of his career in this one. bad clock management.

Black Dynamite
02-05-2006, 10:15 PM
hines ward may turn into TO after the truck and an MVP

b-diddy
02-05-2006, 10:15 PM
if its possible a coach deserves to get fired after coaching his team to the superbowl, mike holmgren does.

turning point of the game: 4th and inches and holmgren punts.

conventional wisdom says holmgren was right to do it. but when you have an A+ O-line, and an A+ running game, why not go for it? what is the probability of not getting it? my guess is <5%.

what an asshole. he's worse than morhningweg (sp?)

Black Dynamite
02-05-2006, 10:17 PM
if its possible a coach deserves to get fired after coaching his team to the superbowl, mike holmgren does.

turning point of the game: 4th and inches and holmgren punts?)

you bet on the game didnt you? [smilie=arnold.gif]

actually he made several bad calls. fucked up getting a closer field goal at the end of the half.

DennyMcLain
02-05-2006, 10:36 PM

happens alot lately. i read this hilarious brady bashing thread because he didnt shake hands after losses. went on for like quite a few pages.

let the walrus moan and cry if he wants. he made some of the worst play calls of his career in this one. bad clock management.

But NOT in he superbowl, with the nation and every fucking media type watching.

You be a gracious loser, or the media will eat you up!!!

Unibomber
02-05-2006, 10:41 PM

turning point of the game: 4th and inches and holmgren punts?)

you bet on the game didnt you? [smilie=arnold.gif]

actually he made several bad calls. fucked up getting a closer field goal at the end of the half.

[smilie=angryfire.g: Fuck Holmgren. Worst play-caller in the NFL. Should've seen it coming.

UncleCliffy
02-05-2006, 10:42 PM
Thankfully the game is over. Now all the media outlets can concentrate on the NBA.

Anthony
02-06-2006, 11:21 AM
today should be a holiday

I have superbowl hangover.

I wanna be back in bed.

Fuck the monday after the Superbowl.

SKelly
02-07-2006, 12:06 AM
Officials were awful, I think they costed the Seahawks the game, and I was pulling for the Steelers too.

Anthony
02-07-2006, 12:14 AM
no way. even if you add the TD they took away, they still lose. Plus, the play calling was just that bad. No way they would have won.

Black Dynamite
02-07-2006, 12:16 AM
Officials were awful, I think they costed the Seahawks the game, and I was pulling for the Steelers too.
nope, in the end if they didnt make so many bad coaching calls the officials woulda been irrelevent.

they made some horrible playcalls on seattle's side. Holgrem was wack. if he wants to whine, he should start in the mirror with his big walrus face.

the clock management at the end=garbage
playcalls at the end of the half=garbage
the lack of balls on 4th and inches with the mvp RB=no nuts
passing more than rushing with an MVP RB=bad gameplan

and so on.

Anthony
02-07-2006, 12:24 AM
Holgrem was wack. if he wants to whine, he should start in the mirror with his big walrus face.

LMAO!

Are you kidding? The only had luck when they passed the ball. The few times they ran, it got them no where. Their only option was the pass. Which is what they came out doing. I dont know what happened after that.

Black Dynamite
02-07-2006, 12:29 AM

Are you kidding? The only had luck when they passed the ball. The few times they ran, it got them no where. Their only option was the pass. Which is what they came out doing. I dont know what happened after that.
but they never commited to the run. and when they ran up the middle they looked damn good. but they call so many sweeps its was retarded.

3-4=weaker in the middle. its common knowledge that you have your best luck there. you dont try to out run 4 LB's to the outside.

even on passing they'd do something that worked then leave it alone the next series. trying to mix it up too much instead of forcing the steelers to stop the plays that worked.

ojay
02-07-2006, 01:44 AM
I gotta give the Seahawks credit, I thought it was going to be a blowout.